Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 340500 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act III: LIFE AND DEATH
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
JLB's voice and that dudes voice are totally different. JLB just has a very high singing voice. The other dude is just too high, too chicky, and too whiney.  But the guitarist...wow! Has he ever been in any other bands that don't have that singer?

Edit: singer reminds me off a mix between Geddy Lee, JLB, and Kevin Cronin...not a good combo all together.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
The other dude is just too high, too chicky, and too whiney.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've heard that exact same complaint about JLB.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
Well I just found out. That the singer is also the rhythym player so is there any band where both guitarists are in the same band but claud-something doesn't sing? Because that uitar part is by far the best guitar part of a song I've ever heard, and I am talking DT into account.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
Claudio has got a side project called "Prize Fighter Inferno", but its nothing like Coheed, and Travis (lead guitar) has a band called "Davenport Cabinet", but they're pretty different from Coheed too.

Coheed is really essentially Claudio's baby.  From what I can tell, he does a good bulk of the songwriting, as well as lead vocals and rhythm guitar.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »
Shit! Because seconds 25-40 which repeat a lot through out the song is wickedly epic.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
FUCK.

TDH + Annuals dates

https://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=10823844&blogId=508178275

ticket links for October headlining dates w/ Annuals
October 25, 2009 | Jammin' Java - Vienna, VA (TICKETS)

October 27, 2009 | Ottobar - Baltimore, MD (TICKETS)

October 28, 2009 | Bowery Ballroom - New York, N.Y. (TICKETS)

October 29, 2009 | First Unitarian Church - Philadelphia, PA (TICKETS)

October 30, 2009 | Club @ Waterstreet Music Hall - Rochester, N.Y. (TICKETS)

October 31, 2009 | The Space - Hamden, CT
**the ticket link for this show isn't available yet- it will be posted when received**

November 1, 2009 | Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA (TICKETS)

Annuals are a killer live band!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »
They should come to the UK! >:(

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
Their coming here on Oct. 22nd. It's:

-Thrusday
-Dear Hunter
-Fall of Troy
-Midnight Masses

Think it'll be good/worth it? How are Dear Hunter live? (And the others live also, if you've seen any of the others)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2009, 09:59:38 PM »
I've just come to the conclusion that this is TDH's true breakthrough album.  The first two albums proved they could write an accessible rock album; this one proved they're more than just another post-hardcore band, albeit one with long songs.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
I agree SD, although I don't know if I would classify The Dear Hunter as post-hardcore (not that I know much about the genre).

In other news, The Pimp and the Priest is an amazing song and I think The Dear Hunter is becoming my favorite band. Casey Crescenzo is a fucking genius.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »
Well you see Casey's last band, The Receiving End of Sirens, was considered post-hardcore, and in many ways, the first two albums were aesthetically similar to the music he produced with them.  Also, for contemporaries they're very often lumped together with the likes of Panic! and Forgive Durden, who are what I'd call "artsy emo."

With Act III, I feel like there wasn't a huge departure from the TDH sound, except that the TDH sound no longer meant that it sounded hip and poppy and like something an emo kid would listen to (I don't mean to generalize, but it's all about the point I'm trying to make).  Act II was an angsty teenager's album with lyrics about love and heartache; Act III has a complex and intricate storyline well beyond that.

I feel like I'm not really getting my point across, but what I'm basically saying is Act III was the step from making music for young people with a message they can relate to, to making music with serious intentions.  I don't know, I hope you get it.  Listen to Act II and III back-to-back if I'm not explaining it right.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
I think I understand. There's no doubt that Act III is stylistically and thematically darker. However, I think the intention was ALWAYS making music with serious intentions. I think the progression of the Boy in Act III guided the style of the music more than the maturation of the band's sound did (although that probably has a bit to do with it as well).

But all in all I don't think the core sound of The Dear Hunter has changed that much.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
I don't know; I heard it most when comparing the following: The Lake and the River to What It Means to Be Alone, and Red Hands to Father

I feel like the former in both cases are a lot more anthemic and sing-songy.  Not that What It Means to Be Alone isn't sing-songy, but it almost feels closer to prog than the predecessor.  I think the predecessor sounds closer to emo/pop rock (though again I'm not calling TDH or any of their music emo; they just seem to aesthetically resemble such contemporaries as Panic!).

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
I've have to agree with Super Dude here. Hell, even my mother compared them to The Used and Panic! when she heard some of their songs :lol While Act III still has that vibe at times, it seems much more mature, experimental, and complete, and unlike its predecessors there are no fillers.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
There's no filler on any of The Dear Hunter's albums, dammit. I guess I wouldn't know if they did sound like those bands because I've never heard them!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
Aside from a vague similarity in the sound of SOME of their songs, I don't really agree with the comparisons.

I don't know; I heard it most when comparing the following: The Lake and the River to What It Means to Be Alone, and Red Hands to Father
Those seem like pretty arbitrary comparisons really. I agree that Act III is another step is a more mature direction, but there's no huge jump, and a lot of the album is still very anthemic. As much as the first two albums anyway!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »
I've just come to the conclusion that this is TDH's true breakthrough album.  The first two albums proved they could write an accessible rock album; this one proved they're more than just another post-hardcore band, albeit one with long songs.
I'd say that was Act II. Act III was great and had definitely a more mainstream appeal IMO, but Act II is a masterpiece.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Weird.  I seem to think Act II sounds like it would have more mainstream appeal than Act III.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
Weird.  I seem to think Act II sounds like it would have more mainstream appeal than Act III.

I agree with this, especially with songs like "The Procession", "Red Hands" and "Dear Mrs. Leading". Act III has songs like that, but then it also has songs like "The Thief".

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
Weird.  I seem to think Act II sounds like it would have more mainstream appeal than Act III.

Quite right.  I can't articulate exactly what I'm trying to get at here, but I feel like Act III was the sign that TDH isn't just another mainstream band; they're actually trying to make a statement, or something like that.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »
TDH have never been remotely a "mainstream" band. I mean, the first album had a folk interlude track!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
TDH have never been remotely a "mainstream" band. I mean, the first album had a folk interlude track!

Yeah, this. TDH's music has really good hooks, but it's anything but mainstream music. I don't even know how to describe what they do.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
Quick update - have listened to Act I a few times and am loving it! Waiting for it to fully sink in before moving on.

Love this forum :)

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »
I also, courtesy of this forum decided to get into this band.

I bought Act 1 first and loved it although every time I got to track 7 I would wish for more tracks (I know it was an ep but I really wish it was full length).

I have just recently bought Act 2 and it's also fantastic, I've only had it a few days though but i love the story. I was actually able to understand most of it on first listen even without the lyrics. The folk influences on both albums are superb, I love casey's vocals and songwriting.

The Dear Hunter are certainly my biggest musical discovery this year and act 3 will be purchased in the coming weeks, can't wait!
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2009, 04:58:03 AM »
They really do get better and better with each album. Act II was more exciting than Act I (which is still great) but it had a bit of filler, and generally the album dragged on a little bit. Act III however is pretty much a perfect album. Again it's even more exciting musically than the first two, but the pacing of the album is literally perfect, there's not a single moment that drags on or feels superfluous.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »
They really do get better and better with each album. Act II was more exciting than Act I (which is still great) but it had a bit of filler, and generally the album dragged on a little bit. Act III however is pretty much a perfect album. Again it's even more exciting musically than the first two, but the pacing of the album is literally perfect, there's not a single moment that drags on or feels superfluous.

My only qualm with the album is with Go Get Your Gun's placement. To me, it feels like it should more towards the beginning of the album; despite sounding upbeat, This Beautiful Life seems to be the Boy's breaking point, where he finally snaps before proceeding to murder his brother and father in Son & Father, and Go Get Your Gun seems to disrupt the flow there, being wedged in between them.

Fuck, I want Act IV.

By the way, how's this?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Ms._Leading

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
By the way, how's this?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Ms._Leading
It's a bunch of rough demos. Some of songs that made it onto Act I or II and some that never saw the light of day again. It's interesting to hear if you're a fan, but nothing you'll likely find yourself listening to on a regular basis.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
the Ms.Leading demos are actually pretty damn good for what they are. There's a few of them I'd love to see be released either on a future Act, or an EP or something. Namely "Camera." But certainly, their production hurts the desire to play them regularly.

Here's an update where they talk about upcoming tours and a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWAEaqmFd28

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »
they're headlining in Minneapolis tonight for the 1st time ever.

Should be sweet. Some nice openers in Empires and City of Sound.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »
Yeah their touring here on the 22nd. Im deciding on goin or not
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2009, 01:51:41 AM »
I recent picked up Act III..holy crap! Great band and great album. Really interesting and different style about them. Cheers of the recommendation DTF  :hat
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2009, 01:23:19 AM »
This topic's getting a bump.

So I'm in school over in Rochester, and I've been a bit disappointed at the lack of shows worth going to see. Mind you, Mastodon/Dethklok's playing Saturday in Buffalo (90 minutes away and nowhere to stay the night after the show nor trains back here as far as I know...it'd be hard), which would be fun to see, but I'm not sure I can pull it. I was poking through the listings for local stuff and noticed this on 10/30. The name rang a bell from all the acclaim TDH got over here.

So here I am. Tell me something about TDH. Having never heard a single song, would it be worth seeing in 10 days? Which album would I start with? Do they sound like anything I could compare them to? Apparently a lot of you like them a whole lot, so here's an opportunity to express that.

Alternatively, would I be better off trying to get to Buffalo on Saturday? Any suggestions to that angle from anyone?
caw caw

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2009, 02:39:03 AM »
If I were you I would go to that show in 10 days time and grab Act 3  - life and death as it's their most recent album and will probably contain the majority of their set. The albums follow a story chronologically so it is better to go from Act 1 through to Act 3 but time will not permit that.

Right now i'm feeling that Act 3 - Life and Death is battling with dredg for album of the year!
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
Thought I'd bump this. Their video for "What It Means To Be Alone" was just released. AND I'M SEEING THEM LIVE TOMORROW NIGHT HOLY SHIT. I've been waiting two years to see this band, I can't wait.

https://www.mtv.com/videos/the-dear-hunter/447644/what-it-means-to-be-alone.jhtml

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
Hmm, that video.  It's very interesting, and I'm glad they were able to implement the plot there.  The only thing is I feel like there should've been less dialogue, and more left up to the power of suggestion.