Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 340615 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns with the Devil in Confessional (Pg 90)
« Reply #3325 on: September 14, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »
Tough

Act V
Act III
Act IV
TCS
Migrant
Act II
Act 1

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3326 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »
I'm really sure about this, but I think it'd be something like:

1. Act IV
2. Act III/Act V, just can't decide
3. Migrant
4. Act I
5. Act II
6. The Color Spectrum

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3327 on: September 14, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
Act V (for now)
Act IV
Act III

The Color Spectrum
Migrant
Act I

Act II

Come at me bro.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3328 on: September 14, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
Act V (for now)
Act IV
Act III

The Color Spectrum
Migrant
Act I

Act II

Come at me bro.

I think my ranking would actually be closest to yours. I'd have Act IV just above V at this point and possibly The Colour Spectrum above III but it's pretty close to yours.

Well done on your taste. It's correct  :biggrin:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3329 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:38 PM »
Act I Graphic Novel coming soon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKZUqWLDV8s/

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3330 on: September 16, 2016, 01:30:32 AM »
Act I Graphic Novel coming soon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKZUqWLDV8s/

Hell yeah.

I ordered the super deluxe, all singing, all dancing bundle of Act V and I'm pretty sure I should be getting that with it  :biggrin:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3331 on: September 16, 2016, 04:13:08 AM »
Act V is on Spotify :caffeine:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #3332 on: September 16, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
AGHGHGHGHGHGH.... Apparently there is so MAJOR info being dropped at these Story Time sessions, and a lot of it suggests that a lot of people have been a lot of wrong about some parts of the story.  Can't wait until this info becomes more "public"....

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3333 on: September 16, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »
sadly, I'm not seeing the show in Minneapolis tonight. My fiancee was not okay with it, 8 days before our wedding and having to run a bunch of errands.

However, she is now okay with me seeing the 2nd Marillion show in Chicago on October 28th.

Still seems kind of unthinkable that I would miss a show in town here without another event conflicting, but I'll probably only get married once anyway.

Plus, the VIP/Story-time with Casey I imagine has been sold out for quite awhile, and there's likely no other chance to find a seat (rather than have to stand for 4+ hours).

Hopefully they'll come to Minneapolis on a 2nd leg next Year and preferably at another venue than The Fine Line, that doesn't require a VIP ticket to find a seat.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3334 on: September 19, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
Ugh this album is so good.

The Flame / The Fire might just be the most epic moment in TDH history.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3335 on: September 19, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Has anyone seen the Gloria video yet?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3336 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:46 PM »
Yeah just watched it. A bit wonky at times, but overall pretty cool.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3337 on: September 19, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Minneapolis show was great. If anyone is on the fence about seeing them do yourselves a favor and go. (Even if your betrothed says otherwise)
I can't get enough of Act V. Love it from start to finish. I didn't think anything would knock Fates Warning from my favorite album this year but this has done just that.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3338 on: September 19, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
I'm at that stage of trying not to overplay this album too much........but it's hard.

Also trying not to fanboy too hard and start claiming album of the year too early.

It probably is though  :hat

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3339 on: September 19, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Has anyone seen the Gloria video yet?

I just watched it. Love all the references/scenes from the earlier Acts. I just wish they could afford a bigger budget to do this justice. It wasn't bad but it felt very amateur to me, which ultimately just left me wishing it could be done to a higher standard. Is that just me?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3340 on: September 19, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »
Idunno, considering the production values they've had on past videos, I thought this one was pretty spectacular.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3341 on: September 19, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
Keep in mind that this is what the official video for Church and the Dime looked like:

https://youtu.be/HSm06SwNI18

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3342 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:06 AM »
Idunno, considering the production values they've had on past videos, I thought this one was pretty spectacular.

Yea, I mean it's better than some of their previous videos but it still could have been a LOT better. I'm not hating on it at all. I love this band so much and just wish they had a bigger following so they had the budget to make things like this even better.

It's also things like touring as well. I wish they could afford to tour outside of America more. I would pay good money to see these guys play a few nights in a row every year if they toured the UK every year. I'm lucky to live in the UK to get a tour at all!!

I think with a concept like they have so much could be done with it. I just want Casey to have enough money to do everything the way he wants to and not have to compromise over anything.

It kind of baffles me that they aren't somewhat more popular as well, they are a perfect gateway band into more progressive music. They are poppy enough to have songs that (I would imagined) appeal to the masses. I'll keep doing my bit and banging on about them to my friends until they give them a chance.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3343 on: September 20, 2016, 12:34:57 AM »
Yup it would be nice to see them have more success, although they really have grown a lot over the years.  They finally for the very first time have an actual real live tour bus for this tour!

I'm sure Casey would love to do some more shows overseas... it's just a matter of paying for them.  They're still not where they deserve to be.  Thank God for Kevin Periera though... that dude literally funding the entire orchestra for Acts IV and V out of his own pocket.  He was just like "Here, have an orchestra on me".  Pretty cool of him.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3344 on: September 20, 2016, 01:57:15 AM »
Yup it would be nice to see them have more success, although they really have grown a lot over the years.  They finally for the very first time have an actual real live tour bus for this tour!

I'm sure Casey would love to do some more shows overseas... it's just a matter of paying for them.  They're still not where they deserve to be.  Thank God for Kevin Periera though... that dude literally funding the entire orchestra for Acts IV and V out of his own pocket.  He was just like "Here, have an orchestra on me".  Pretty cool of him.

Yea, I'm thankful that I have managed to see this band live as there are a lot of fans who have never had the chance. Fingers crossed they will continue to grow and gain a larger fan base.

I have no idea who Kevin Periera is but I am thankful that he did that. Acts IV & V without an orchestra would not have had the same impact (that's how I feel anyway).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3345 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
Can we all take a moment to appreciate just how amazing the Act albums are? I consider all 5 to be nearly flawless. Acts 2-4 would probably all crack my top 10 albums ever (too early to say about act 5). Now I realize I'm a big fan boy and have been since Act 2 came out, but come on... these albums are rediculously awesome.

I was really bummed I didn't get to see them play Minneapolis last weekend. I've seen them 5 times I think and they're a good live band. Hopefully they'll come around again supporting this album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3346 on: September 20, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
Alright then, I'll be the first person to come in here and say that Act V disappoints me so far, after two listens. There's a couple good songs on it (highlights are Mr. Usher, The Revival, Gloria and The March for me), but as a whole this album doesn't stand up to Act IV, let alone to their masterpiece, Act II. I know they had a huge job to do, in retaining the awesomeness of the previous albums and I sincerely hope that this is a case of the album not 'clicking with me' just yet.

The things that bug me the most are the orchestral interludes that seem completely out of place and the reprise of themes from previous albums. The latter was nice on Act IV, but here it feels like a lazy opt-out or something.

And to lighten my standpoint a little; I don't think this album is bad by any means and I'm saying this after only two listens. It's just that Act II and IV are far superior to me as of now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3347 on: September 20, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »
Act V is great but I agree it's not as good as IV or II. I will say that Light and everything that follows is really good and top notch, but the album is off to a bit of a slow start and there are no major standouts in the first half. I think if you take the run of songs from Light and forward, and put those songs as an ending to Act IV after King of Swords (replacing the songs already there), it would pretty much be the perfect Act album for me.  :lol

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3348 on: September 20, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
The things that bug me the most are the orchestral interludes that seem completely out of place and the reprise of themes from previous albums. The latter was nice on Act IV, but here it feels like a lazy opt-out or something.

Wait.... really?  For me that's one of the things I love the most, and it seems like the exact opposite of laziness.  I mean, the reprises are not random.  They're all there for very specific reasons and are all elements of the story.  I can't even imagine the amount of work and planning that must have gone into putting all the right reprises into all the right spots, and I think they add so much to helping figure out wtf is going on.  For example, the reprise of Smiling Swine in the The March I think is probably meant to represent the theme of TP/P's manipulation of people who live in The City.  The reprise of Melpomene at the end of The Flame re-worked as a minor key funeral dirge I think is meant to represent the death of Ms. Leading.  The reprise of King of Swords in The Most Cursed of Hands... well, I'm sure that's trying to tell us something too, but I haven't figured it out yet :).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3349 on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Yeah, like I said, I have only listened to the album twice, so those were my first thoughts. I also haven't delved into the story at all, but I can imagine that themes play a large part in the telling of the story (in which case I withhold my initial statement). The orchestral interlude pieces though are something different.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3350 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
Yeah, I think a lot of the album is written specifically to appeal to the story side of it, and I almost feel like that's an essential part of what makes the album great, so I could certainly see how it wouldn't be as interesting if you're not immersed in the story.  I also feel like it's much more of a "listen to it all at once" album rather than a "collection of great songs" album.

I suspect Act VI is going to be some sort of film or something, so I think a part of the idea behind the orchestra was also to give it a more theatrical feel.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3351 on: September 20, 2016, 10:35:38 AM »
Btw - If you're planning to dig into the story, it might be worth it to wait a month or so.  Apparently there's a ton of stuff being revealed during the tour VIP sessions that's basically causing everybody to realize that a lot of what we had all been assuming about the story is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3352 on: September 20, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »
"Everything was a dream. He wakes up in A Beginning, which is basically the start of a new day."
Squ

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3353 on: September 20, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Btw - If you're planning to dig into the story, it might be worth it to wait a month or so.  Apparently there's a ton of stuff being revealed during the tour VIP sessions that's basically causing everybody to realize that a lot of what we had all been assuming about the story is wrong.

I think Casey is changing the interpretation of the lyrics well after the fact, just to screw with fans.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3354 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:45 PM »
Lol.  Some people have already suggested he's giving out different answers to the same questions at different story times just to mess with us :P.

As a LatR mod, my official position is that I don't want any Story Time spoilers getting out, but as a fan, I'm secretly hoping some more slip through :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3355 on: September 20, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
Alright then, I'll be the first person to come in here and say that Act V disappoints me so far, after two listens. There's a couple good songs on it (highlights are Mr. Usher, The Revival, Gloria and The March for me), but as a whole this album doesn't stand up to Act IV, let alone to their masterpiece, Act II. I know they had a huge job to do, in retaining the awesomeness of the previous albums and I sincerely hope that this is a case of the album not 'clicking with me' just yet.

And to lighten my standpoint a little; I don't think this album is bad by any means and I'm saying this after only two listens. It's just that Act II and IV are far superior to me as of now.
I basically disagree with everything you just said, but on the other hand the album took a handful of listens to really sink in. Not much for me stood out on the first listen or two, whereas now I love at least half the album. I'd say this is basically as strong as Act IV but doesn't quite match up to Act III (though both IV and V are superior in the sound and orchestration departments).

But seriously some of the reprises on both Acts IV and V are absolutely majestic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3356 on: September 20, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
The one at 4:22 in Most Cursed of Hands blows my fucking mind every time.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3357 on: September 20, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »
I love the album from start to finish, seems like I'm in a minority here.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3358 on: September 20, 2016, 02:37:22 PM »
I love the album from start to finish, seems like I'm in a minority here.

I wouldn't say that. I love the album from start to finish, there are obviously songs I like more than others but there aren't any songs I dislike. I like the whole pace of the album. It's one of those albums, to me at least, that is really long but doesn't feel it at all. Act IV is totally like that for me too.

I mean ranking the Acts alone would probably go:

IV
V
III
I
II

I love them all but I definitely don't get it when people say Acts II or III are their faves. I felt Act IV was such a massive leap forward for their sound.

It's probably one of those things where it's representative of when you got into the band. Act IV is the album that really got me into this band. I had bought I, II & III at some point within the year before Act IV dropped but they didn't do a massive amount for me. Then Act IV blew my mind.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:16:34 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3359 on: September 20, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
I realized I haven't made my opinions on Act V clear in this thread.

It's good. It's reeeeeeeeeeal good. Honestly it's one of the few records so far this year that I've really really dug the whole way through. "The March", "Light," "Gloria", and "The Most Cursed of Hands" have fast become some of my favorite TDH songs. I particularly like how on Act IV and V, the "rock opera" thing has been more fully embraced with the callbacks to previous songs and lyrics, and even though I don't know all the specifics of the story, it lends a nice cohesiveness to it all that I thought was lacking in the first 3 Acts.

Obligatory ranking:
Act II
Act IV
Act III
Act V
Act I