Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 343633 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act III: LIFE AND DEATH
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2010, 07:29:56 PM »
I listened to this a while back, and it didn't do anything for me, but I'm listening to it a second time and enjoying it very much. Makes me even more excited for the Coheed/PT show.

I'm glad you like it, it's one of my favorite records. I knew you'd come around.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
I think I've come to the conclusion that I actually like Act II more than III. The Bitter Suite is just so amazing! :tup
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: July 28, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »
I think Act II is better than Act III as well, just barely.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2010, 04:32:58 AM »
Act II is the best, but that's not to say that Act III and I aren't amazing :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
Act III is definitely the best; Act II is great but it really starts to drag. I'd say that Act III is the most perfectly paced album I've ever listened to.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
The only part where Act II drags is in parts of Embrace, I think.  In the end, Act II and Act III are incredibly close, but I'll go with Act III, mostly for the last 5 songs, especially the last 2  :hefdaddy

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2010, 01:24:21 PM »
Okay, I have a question about a version of Act III that I got by... well, the d word (before anyone gives me shit, I bought Act III twice - one copy I gave to my girlfriend, and my own I temporarily lost).

The endings of In Cauda Venetum, What It Means to Be Alone, The Tank and Saved are all separate tracks from their respective songs each called Transition 1, Transition 2 etc., Son and Father are combined into one single track, and the piano ending of Life and Death is a separate one minute track called Outro. Is there actually a version of the album like this or is it just an edit someone made themselves? I must say I actually prefer it :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »
it originally leaked that way.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #288 on: August 01, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
here's some more details on the Colors EPs and a bit on Act IV posted on another forum by a fan whose talked to the band recently,.

1. If everything goes according to plan, the Colors EPS will be put out as digital downloads and on vinyl (fuck the haters). He said that 7"s probably won't have enough room since there's about 4-6 songs per EP (that's AT LEAST 36 new songs, motherfuckers) so they'll most likely be on 12"s or 10"s. Which is great.

2. The problems with releasing the EPs are A) Money, money, money. Shit's gonna cost about $40,000 to put out and that's all gonna come from touring and digital downloads. B) The packaging. This is 9 friggin vinyls they're putting out, it's gonna be a pain to actually package it. He was saying maybe a box of sorts which opens from the top and there's all 9 inside. I'm thinking a slip cover sort of thing with the 9 in separate slips, but we'll see what happens.

3. They've got til the end of this year to get these written/recorded. He said they're about halfway done and it's going swimmingly. Having no label is awesome and keeps them able to do whatever the hell they want. And since there doesn't need to be all the marketing bullshit they can be released pretty soon after. How soon? Well...

4. They're planning on releasing them in January. Fuck yeah. And they'll all be at the same time, none of this "periodical" shit. I would have asked a price if I thought he had any idea, but I doubt he knows. Most of the stuff they say they're gonna do gets put on hold because it's just not able to be worked out. Since it's 9 10"s I'd say you're looking at $100 for the vinyls and like $50 for the digital download, but that's just a guess.

5. Goddamn Colors EP tour. Yeah, this shit is happening in March of next year. He said they want to get like 40 shows in so I'm thinking some sporadically placed West Coast dates with mostly East Coast and maybe a bit o' Canada. He said O'Brother would probably be with them, which is awesome because they're fun live. Now they wouldn't play all the songs from the EPs, but they would hit at least 1 song from each EP. which would make for quite a show because...

6. The EPs are friggin varied. I know we already knew this, but he was pretty blatant about it. Each EPs has a different mood and feeling. He let us listen to a rough version of a song from White and it was awesome. Really laid back, mellow, and euphoric. Mainly just Casey and piano with backing instrumentation, but he was saying the best way to describe it is "White." When you think of white, it's kinda what mood that color evokes and white definitely is mellow (and if it's not for you then gtfo).

7. The songs on it are gonna be less orchestrated. No more horns, violins, or other instruments they couldn't recreate live. It's gonna be much more natural and actually possible to pull off live. For example, as awesome as In Cauda was, it just didn't have the full effect because there were way more instruments than they could do live. These EPs can be played, and played correctly in a live setting.

8. The guest appearances thing is probably not gonna happen. It's just a lot harder to get the people together and do that shit than they originally planned. I told him Anthony Green should be on the Green EP and he laughed but said it was a cool idea. Hopefully we can see some AG on this bitch.

9. We also already knew this, but no storyline on it at all. It's just gonna be emotions n shit. Our little TDH is growing up and becoming a normal band! (But not for long because...)

10. Motherfuckin Act IV, bitches! Mr. Rheault said that they should be releasing (or maybe just working on) it in 2011. Summer, if I remember correctly, but I'm not quite sure.

11. On the upcoming tour with Coheed they will have 6 people on stage instead of the current 5. No, not a new member (we actually talked about how TDH has a revolving door of members (I think Jeffers coined that term)) but a GUEST appearance for the whole of the tour. A certain Mr. Dan Nigro of As Tall As Lions vocalist/guitarist/multi-instrumentalist fame will be joining the boys and shall be playing organ. It's gonna be fuckin rad.

12. The Lifetime Passes will be shipping fucking soon. As in the next 10 days soon. They want to get them out before the Coheed tour starts. It's taken so long because doing this stuff on your own is pretty damn difficult and between pressing the vinyl and getting everything set up it's just been difficult. Andy actually said that if they don't get them sent out then he will personally give me my package at the Las Vegas show with Coheed.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: August 01, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »
ARGH I actually found myself excited enough for these EPs i'm disappointed they're not coming out this year, maybe because there hasn't been anything really good this year so far and I was hoping for some masterpieces.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »
ARGH I actually found myself excited enough for these EPs i'm disappointed they're not coming out this year, maybe because there hasn't been anything really good this year so far and I was hoping for some masterpieces.
Close enough if they're coming out in January! Considering how many EPs we get by waiting for them all to be done at once, I'm certainly not complaining. :P

I'm very excited about any new material. Listened to Act III again today, and have concluded that it is, in fact, my favourite album ever. There isn't a single flaw I can find in it, or a single moment that is boring or dragged out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
well..given the source was not official, Casey chimed in and cleared a few things up about that info (like the Eps will be MIXED by January).

Posted Today, 01:01 PM
WHOA HERE.... Let me clear some of this up.

1. Dan Nigro is not playing with us. Rob Parr is playing with us.
2. Our Bassist/Tour Manager is Connor Doyle, not Max Tousseau. Max was with us for the last tour we did, but is focusing on his own music and currently we have Connor with us. He was also the guitarist in the band the Brobecks, not Max.
3. We aren't planning on releasing the colors by january, we plan on having them mixed by January and hope to release them as soon as we can once they are mastered.
4. Some songs on the colors are going to be less orchestrated, some songs are going to be more... there is a ton of music, and to call it all one certain thing, or to produce it all one certain way would negate the point of the project.
5. We hope to be working on act IV by the summer of 2011, but have no idea when it would be released.
6. The guest appearance side of the colors records is not set in stone either way- I would still really love to get anyone I can, but I am not saying names because I am not going to set things up to be let down.
7. The colors ep tour is just an idea right now, and there is absolutely no plan for any part of it- not for where, when, how, or with who we will be touring.

So... lets settle a bit.

EDIT: Also, I am trying to figure out just who you think andy is- mostly because you name Josh, Erick, Casey, Max (who is connor).... but you didn't name Nick- our drummer. Is that who you thought andy was?

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:24 AM »
To weigh in on the Act II vs Act III debate, I believe they are both incredible albums and my favourite changes from day to day.

Also, very excited about these colours ep's!
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
for anyone whose interested, here's a Soundboard recording from the San Jose show on 7/28/10

In Cauda Venenom (very incomplete)
The Church and the Dime
The Procession
The Tank
Mustard Gas
Black Sandy Beaches
Untitled1
Dear Ms. Leading
Life and Death

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »
awesome! listening now.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
Anyone else here like BTBAM? I could hear Battesimo Del Fuoco playing at the end of Colors_LIVE just before Laser Speed kicked in. It was like having a smoke after a great night of sex.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
not surprising given the BTBAM guys are fans of TDH (and Kiss Kiss, who are also fans of both TDH and BTBAM..the 3 bands really should do a tour together sometime.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #297 on: August 06, 2010, 07:14:29 AM »
I would go to a show like that if it killed me. Is Kiss Kiss any good, btw? Never heard of them.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2010, 07:19:24 AM »
Their new stuff doesn't exactly lend itself to live performance super well :lol

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #299 on: August 06, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »
Explain. Not all of TDH's stuff is as good live as well, what with the orchestration.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #300 on: August 06, 2010, 07:47:31 AM »
That's what I meant. I'm listening to the boot soundscapemn posted

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
So Kiss Kiss is somewhat orchestral?

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #302 on: August 06, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
Close enough if they're coming out in January! Considering how many EPs we get by waiting for them all to be done at once, I'm certainly not complaining. :P

I'm very excited about any new material. Listened to Act III again today, and have concluded that it is, in fact, my favourite album ever. There isn't a single flaw I can find in it, or a single moment that is boring or dragged out.

I don't like a lot of the intervals.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #303 on: August 06, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »
Intervals?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #304 on: August 06, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »
So Kiss Kiss is somewhat orchestral?

vaguely, yeah. They use strings here and there, namely their violinist Rebecca.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »
Here's the setlist they played with Coheed and PT last night:
In Cauda Venenum
The Church & The Dime
The Procession
The Thief
Mustard Gas
He Said He Had A Story

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2010, 02:53:39 AM »
Awesomeness to the max. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2010, 07:07:42 AM »
I'm very much looking forward to it.  Especially yelling the parts in "He Said He Had a Story" like "THEN WHAT DID SHE DO NEXT?"  Wonder how many will join in with me.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
He Said He Had A Story is nuts. Great way to end

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
So I listened to Act III over vacation, and I'm retracting the previous statement, and will instead say that Act III is nearly perfect and better than Act II.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »
Yeah o/

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »
*\o

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2010, 01:06:56 AM »
Act III would be perfect if it weren't for "Go Get Your Gun"

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2010, 01:17:04 AM »
Nothing on Act III can touch The Bitter Suite on Act II.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2010, 02:56:52 AM »
Nothing on Act III can touch The Bitter Suite on Act II.

With the exceptions of In Cauda Venenum, The Tank, The Poison Woman, The Thief, Mustard Gas, He Said He Had A Story, This Beautiful Life, Son/Father, and Life and Death, I agree.