Author Topic: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Vikingligr veldi  (Read 4618 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Hordanes Land (EP)
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2023, 05:38:26 PM »
I listened to Yggdrasill a couple times today.  I definitely liked it more than the initial demos; especially the vocals.
Yeah, this was where they really started shifting to the Black/Viking metal sound. Whereas earlier work was much more rooted in Death Metal.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2023, 07:18:47 PM »
Hordanes Land Addendum

Just a bit of clarification and correction. The Hordanes Land EP was released on Candlelight Records as a favor to the owner of Candlelight Records, Lee Barrett. He was just getting his record label going and wanted to release some new Black Metal as the label’s first release. He got in contact with Euronymous, seeing as how he was the center of the whole Norwegian black metal movement and asked if he recommended anyone. So he recommended both Enslaved and Emperor. Thus, we got individual EP’s from both bands and a split album combining those EPs.

Also, another correction. Enslaved actually never released an album on Euronymous’s label, even though that was the intention for the band's first album. I’m currently working on that update, so you’ll get the full scoop on that soon-ish.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2023, 07:34:42 PM »
I'm glad you cleared that all up.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Vikingligr veldi
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2024, 01:04:35 AM »
Vikingligr Veldi

Starting in 1992 the Black Metal world started to be turned on its head and not in a good way. In May of ‘92 the Storetveit Church in Bergen was burned down. Then in June the Fantoft stave church in Bergen was burned down by Varg Vikernes (the man infamously behind Burzum, more about him later). Then in August the Revheim Church in Stavanger and the Holmenkollen Chapel in Oslo were burned down. The latter of which was done by Varg, Faust (of Emperor), and Euronymous. On the way home from this, Faust killed a guy in Lillehammer by stabbing him 37 times. In September the Ormøya Church in Oslo and the Skjold Church in Vindafjord were burned down. The latter was done by Varg and Samoth (of Emperor). In October the Hauketo Church in Oslo was burned down. Then in December the Åsane Church in Bergen was burned down by Varg and Jørn Inge Tunsberg, who was briefly in Immortal until he was kicked out.

Then there was the whole Bergens Tidende newspaper article in January of ‘93. The story goes, Varg set up an anonymous interview with the newspaper with journalist Finn Bjørn Tønder. When he and the other journalists arrived at the interview location they were told they would be shot if they called the police and during the interview Varg told them that he had burned down the churches and knew who else was involved. He also told them he knew who killed the guy in Lillehammer and that church burnings and murders would continue. According to Varg the goal of this interview was spreading fear, promoting black metal, and getting more customers for Helvete, Euronymous’ record store. Consequently, a lot of the people involved in what they had called the Black Metal Inner Circle were arrested and questioned, but at the time nothing stuck. Varg was in jail for about 6 weeks because of this stunt. Euronymous also decided to close his record shop Helvete because of the attention it was getting from police and journalists, which pissed off Varg.

This incident was the beginning of the rapid decline of the relationship between Varg and Euronymous, both of whom were in the band Mayhem at the time. Although, there was animosity brewing between the 2 for the past couple years already. This ultimately led to Varg killing Euronymous on August 10th 1993, with the accomplice Snorre Westvold Ruch, who was also in Mayhem at the time. Varg and Snorre were arrested on August 19th along with a lot of others in the Black Metal community. A lot of them admitted to the church burnings and were sentenced. Samoth was in prison for 16 months. Faust was outed by Varg for the murder of the man in Lillehammer and for helping with the church burnings and was sentenced to 14 years in prison, but only ended up serving about 9 due to good behavior. Varg was sentenced to 21 years in prison for the murder of Euronymous, several church burnings, and for possession of 150kg of explosive when he was arrested, but was released after 15 years. Snorre was sentenced to 8 years for being an accomplice to the murder.

As a side note, it was Euronymous and Snorre that had pioneered the Black Metal tremolo picking style in the late ‘80s.

Lastly, there was a rivalry forming between the Norwegian Black Metal scene and the Swedish Death Metal scene, as well as a rivalry between the Norwegian and Finnish Black Metal scenes. Death threats were made and there were a lot of snarky comments made back and forth between all 3 scenes.

All this to say the Norwegian Black Metal scene was getting a bad reputation from all angles and justifiably so. So let’s circle back to March of ‘93 and back to the main reason we are all here, Enslaved. Immediately after finishing Hordanes Land, the band got back to writing new music for a proper album and seeing the direction most of the other bands in the Black metal scene were going, they decided to go their own way. Ivar and Grutle didn’t care about the political and religious aspects of what their contemporaries were doing and didn’t want to get involved, they just wanted to focus on making awesome music and writing lyrics about Norway’s history, mythology, and vikings. In March of ‘93 they went into the Grieghallen Studio in Bergen and started recording the album Vikingligr veldi, which was completed in April. This time going much bigger and grander than they had on the EP. The new album consisted of mostly new music, but they did rework and re-record Heimdallr, which was originally on the Yggdrasil demo. To help with their grand vision they had Eirik Hundvin (known as Pytten to most) produce, mix, and engineer the album. He became known for pioneering the reverb heavy production of a lot of the early Norwegian Black Metal bands and has worked with most of the big Norwegian Black metal bands, among others. On top of that, the well known Ronn Chick mastered the album.

Vikingligr veldi is a concept album of Old Norse history and the lyrics were all written in Medieval Icelandic with the exception of Heimdallr which was written in Old Norwegian. The album was originally slated to be released in the fall of ‘93, but with the aforementioned murder of Euronymous his record label was effectively shut down. So the band had no way to release the album and with the shutdown of Deathlike Silence Productions and the album was handed off to Deathlike’s partner label Voices of Wonder to be released. The problem was the label didn’t release it until February 22nd 1994, almost a year after they finished recording it. The album was ultimately dedicated to Euronymous in the liner notes.

Other notes of interest. Ivar was only 15 at the time this was recorded and he wrote the vast majority of the music and all the lyrics for the album. Also because of some legal technicalities and issues, this would be the only time the band would work with label Voices of Wonder (the label basically screwed the band over). This was the album that really set the band apart from the rest of not only the Norwegian Black Metal community, but the Black Metal world at large and firmly planted them at the forefront of Norway’s best Black Metal bands.

Tracklist
1.   Lifandi lif undir hamri     11:31
2.   Vetrarnótt                     10:58
3.   Miðgarðs eldar              11:16
4.   Heimdallr                     06:15
5.   Norvegr                       10:56

Bandcamp
Spotify
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2024, 03:00:21 AM »
Wonderful artwork, horrible band pictures.  :lol

Might not be able to give this a proper listen til Monday, but looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2024, 05:38:43 PM »
Wonderful artwork, horrible band pictures.  :lol

Might not be able to give this a proper listen til Monday, but looking forward to it.
:rollin
The '90s were a fun time for Black metal band photos.

I'd still like to do a listening party in Deepcut at some point. Not sure when though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2024, 06:58:43 PM »
Who in the hell is Euronymous again? Do we know him from earlier in the thread?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2024, 07:00:08 PM »
He is the one that owned Helvete (the record store) and Deathlike Silence Productions (record label). He was mentioned in the first or second update, I can't remember now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2024, 07:01:40 PM »
He is the one that owned Helvete (the record store) and Deathlike Silence Productions (record label). He was mentioned in the first or second update, I can't remember now.

Oh, so he's like the original Shug Knight of Black metal.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2024, 07:05:02 PM »

Not really, as far as anyone knows, he never killed anyone. Just helped burn down a church and then was killed by Varg.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2024, 07:11:26 PM »

Not really, as far as anyone knows, he never killed anyone. Just helped burn down a church and then was killed by Varg.

Oh alright. Reading that all I could think of was Death Row records. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2024, 07:13:35 PM »

Oh alright. Reading that all I could think of was Death Row records. :lol
I mean, the whole story has some of the same beats. Just played by different roles.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2024, 01:01:17 PM »
OK now we're really getting into it. Their first full length feels like a huge step up again. Every album from here on out is in my semi regular rotation, and I would likely spin it at least every 18 months or something.

Reading about the craziness of what was happening in the scene at the time, I'm so glad they just decided to distance themselves from all the church burnings and murder, and just go full viking cosplay.

I had no idea that the lyrics were written in medieval Icelandic, that's metal as fuck! I also love all the artwork with the vinyl release, I've never seen that before.

Also, once again, Ivar being responsible for the majority of the album at 15 is so impressive. Just imagine getting up, going to school at 15, coming home and contributing to an emerging new metal scene and writing arguably one of the most defining albums of early Norwegian black metal, then your mum shouts you to let you know tea is ready!

This album is full of long songs, with only one being under 10 minutes. The only criticism I have of the album, is that some songs drag on too long for me and just repeat certain passages way longer than I feel they should. I love a long song obviously, but not if it feels long just for the sake of it. It was all a sign of what was to come from the band though, and they obviously honed their craft when it came to long songs.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 01:23:44 PM by twosuitsluke »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2024, 02:25:41 PM »
OK now we're really getting into it. Their first full length feels like a huge step up again. Every album from here on out is in my semi regular rotation, and I would likely spin it at least every 18 months or something.
Yeah, this one isn't an album I go back to often, but I still enjoy it quite a bit. It's a massive step in quality, once again, from their EP, despite being recorded less than 6 months later.

Reading about the craziness of what was happening in the scene at the time, I'm so glad they just decided to distance themselves from all the church burnings and murder, and just go full viking cosplay.
You could almost attribute it to them being younger, but they really weren't compared to some others that were involved with the darker side of the scene. It's really more that they were all about making the best, forward-thinking Black Metal they could, musically and lyrically. However, ultimately it's really down to how they were raised by their parents (mostly Ivar and Grutle) and how supportive their parents were of their musical passions. Ivar and Grutle have stated over the years that they never felt the need to get involved in the politics of the scene or try to be edgy or evil, just for the sake of it. They've also stated that they didn't necessarily disagree with the church burnings, mostly because of the amount of violence and hatred "Christians" in the past had inflicted on other peoples. They didn't agree with the idea of trying to spread fear and violence through the threats a lot of the others in the scene were making.

I had no idea that the lyrics were written in medieval Icelandic, that's metal as fuck! I also love all the artwork with the vinyl release, I've never seen that before.

Also, once again, Ivar being responsible for the majority of the album at 15 is so impressive. Just imagine getting up, going to school at 15, coming home and contributing to an emerging new metal scene and writing arguably one of the most defining albums of early Norwegian black metal, then your mum shouts you to let you know tea is ready!
These two points are huge. Granted, Ivar received help with the translation, but you can see the intelligence brewing in his mind at a very young age, which would be made much more apparent in the years to come.

Your description of going to school, then writing metal that was pushing boundaries at the time, then coming home to have tea with mum makes me laugh, but is probably not far from the truth. I think about what I was doing at 15 and can only lament my wasted youth  :lol

This album is full of long songs, with only one being under 10 minutes. The only criticism I have of the album, is that some songs drag on too long for me and just repeat certain passages way longer than I feel they should. I love a long song obviously, but not if it feels long just for the sake of it. It was all a sign of what was to come from the band though, and they obviously honed their craft when it came to long songs.
This is my biggest issue with this album too. They would kind of over correct on the next album, but find a great balance on the album after that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2024, 02:28:43 PM »
I'll probably get to this one tomorrow night!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2024, 04:40:04 PM »
This has completely slipped my mind I'm sorry.  I promise I will check this out on Monday now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2024, 07:26:46 PM »
This has completely slipped my mind I'm sorry.  I promise I will check this out on Monday now.
Haha, no worries. I've been a little slow with this lately.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2024, 03:57:13 PM »
Will there be a listening party?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2024, 04:55:20 PM »
Will there be a listening party?
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find time to do a listening party for this album. I'll also be dropping the next update middle of next week sometime.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2024, 07:28:03 PM »
I have this playing now.  It's on in the background a little but it's pretty easy listening black metal.  The instrumental recurring themes are nice. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2024, 07:47:35 PM »
Last song was awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2024, 08:47:24 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2024, 08:55:05 PM »
I'll have to go through it again to comment more.  My next listen I'll pay more attention but again, that was easy listening, accessible black metal.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2024, 09:19:05 PM »
Been meaning to get back to this thread, and finally the pile of things on my plate is diminishing a bit.

I gave a cursory listen to Vikingligr Veldi and might have more to say after reading the writeup, other comments, and maybe giving it another listen afterwards.  I noticed a significant jump in production quality and listenability over the demos.  It's still slightly on the raw and underproduced side for my tastes, but it's not nearly as distracting as those were.  It's more along the lines of various other black metal albums in the mid-90s, so I can deal with it better.  The guitar tone remains on the thin side, but isn't particularly vexing in comparison to other similar releases.  Nothing really grabbed me initially, but it seems quite competently executed for the style. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2024, 08:47:47 AM »
That's the big thing with me too on this album.  It is a decent debut, with pretty decent production compared to some of the other early black metal out there.  It's not trve kvlt black metal, because it wasn't recorded on a boombox with a cheap radio shack mic plugged into the line in.  :biggrin:  Enslaved always had aspirations above all of that nonsense.  Even early on, you could tell they were a notch above a lot of their peers.  The guitars do sound much better than a lot of that shrill early black metal sound.  I don't revisit the debut all that often, but remembering how young they were when they recorded this album makes it a bit more impressive.  It is a little repetitive in spots, but still, overall a nice artifact of the early 90's scene.

Online nick_z

« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2024, 05:17:06 PM »
That's the big thing with me too on this album.  It is a decent debut, with pretty decent production compared to some of the other early black metal out there.  It's not trve kvlt black metal, because it wasn't recorded on a boombox with a cheap radio shack mic plugged into the line in.  :biggrin:  Enslaved always had aspirations above all of that nonsense.  Even early on, you could tell they were a notch above a lot of their peers.  The guitars do sound much better than a lot of that shrill early black metal sound.  I don't revisit the debut all that often, but remembering how young they were when they recorded this album makes it a bit more impressive.  It is a little repetitive in spots, but still, overall a nice artifact of the early 90's scene.

I can basically quote this word for word  :biggrin: Very well put. I revisited it today and enjoyed it. I agree that the production is surprisingly good and (not just in retrospect) you can already tell they had ambition in the way they were writing songs. Some pretty cool guitar interplay among the tremolo riffing. It's a little too long for what it is, so I don't find myself going back to it often, but it's a good debut full-length, for sure.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2024, 05:52:55 AM »
 :corn

Just listening to Vertebrae right now, and having my face melted by Ground! What a fucking song.

When's the next update dude?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2024, 07:22:00 AM »
:corn

Just listening to Vertebrae right now, and having my face melted by Ground! What a fucking song.

When's the next update dude?
Hopefully soon. I've been at 3 separate trade shows over the past 3 weeks, so I've been way too busy to do anything with this.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2024, 08:01:52 AM »
No worries dude, didn't mean for that come across as me being impatient, I just love Enslaved!

Online nick_z

« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2024, 06:52:50 PM »
I have Frost ready to go on my Ipod (!) for my upcoming commutes, in anticipation of the next update  :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2024, 07:19:20 PM »
No worries dude, didn't mean for that come across as me being impatient, I just love Enslaved!
I didn't take it as you being impatient.  :tup

Nick on the other hand.....  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online nick_z

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2024, 08:15:29 PM »

Nah, me?  :biggrin:

I wouldn't have any right to be, anyway, given my limited participation to the thread, so far.  :) I'll try and do better...starting with Frost  :corn  :biggrin:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2024, 12:42:57 AM »

Nah, me?  :biggrin:

I wouldn't have any right to be, anyway, given my limited participation to the thread, so far.  :) I'll try and do better...starting with Frost  :corn  :biggrin: