Author Topic: Aquiles Priester practicing TDOE...  (Read 8042 times)

Offline phentalmyst

Aquiles Priester practicing TDOE...
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
apologies if this has been posted before. i dig his interpretation of the section at 3:36...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9RURj_xi74&feature=fvwrel

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Aquiles Priester practicing TDOE...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
Very impressive.  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
That was fantastic, there were a couple of remarkable ideas that just blew my mind.  :hefdaddy

And he uploaded this almost a year ago - so what's where all the rumors about him auditioning came from. I had no idea they were even allowed to upload those videos before everything was revealed.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
nailed it

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
That was fantastic, there were a couple of remarkable ideas that just blew my mind.  :hefdaddy

And he uploaded this almost a year ago - so what's where all the rumors about him auditioning came from. I had no idea they were even allowed to upload those videos before everything was revealed.

I'm going to guess that even if it was uploaded that long ago, it was designated private before the TSCO documentary was released.  Note that there are no comments before 5 months ago.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
Oh, OK. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice it.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
I think this guy can play drums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »

Offline Juular

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
Wow, that actually rocked. He's much better than the documentary made him look.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »

Yeah, I think it was unfortunate that the clips for him, Derek, and Virgil were shorter and emphasized some of their relatively minor difficulties rather than their strengths.  I mean, it makes sense from the standpoint of both the length of the documentary and what it was meant to do, but given that the clips were only a small fraction of the entire audition process, even a couple of seconds of mistakes can make it feel like the guys performed a lot worse than they did in the context of the entire audition.  I would LOVE to someday see more extended footage.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »
i completely stumbled upon that video and i've been searching for others either from AP or the other auditionees (besides what wildoer has posted). so far, nada...

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
Devil's Advocate:
Just because he was fantastic here doesn't mean he performed similarly in the actual audition. I think anyone who's played an instrument has had a time when they did better in practice than during the performance they'd been practicing for.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »

And the documentary already made him look much better than people were expecting!  :lol

Really cool guy.  :smiley:

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
He is a really good drummer. But he was too nervous in the auditions.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
Wavy cymbals!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
That video only had made my opinions stronger about this Guy. He's an awesome drummer! Couple of ideas, like that with hihat rhythm in the middle, was awesome, He was very nervous during auditions, but I think that He fully deserver a place behind DT kit.  :tup

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
I thought he was quite impressive in the auditions! He messed up one of the songs, but I thought he was the best at the jam part at the beginning, it seemed so natural to him

Offline johncal

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Priestyer did a great job but Mangini still makes it look a lot easier. I know some fans don't agree with it, but personally I like that MM is adding stuff on top of MP's work live, like it wasn't tough enough the way it was.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
Devil's Advocate:
Just because he was fantastic here doesn't mean he performed similarly in the actual audition. I think anyone who's played an instrument has had a time when they did better in practice than during the performance they'd been practicing for.

Not only that, but once the familiar backing track is gone, the story looks very different. I have met several musicians over the years who could play perfectly well alongside DT tracks, but when playing them in a band would get tripped up. Not necessarily saying it's the case with Aquiles, more in general.
I'm not a big fan of his drumming though, despite his clear skill. He sounds very hard-hitting and overall he's too close to pure metal drumming sound-wise. I'm more the Gavin Harrison guy.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »
His work with Angra is fantastic.  Check out the live in Brazil DVD from them, a really good watch.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
Interesting, I was watching this one yesterday. It came related after I watched some MM and MP stuff. So, I guess it got connected recently as we both saw it at the same time.

Yeah, "this guy can play drums" for sure :)

And I also wish they would release an extended version of the documentary. It would be such a shame to not see more of it. Of course the doc fulfilled it's role perfectly, but it would be nice to see more from Mike and the rest.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 01:25:08 AM »
I want every 7 drummers to do drum cam videos of all 3 songs so then we can choose who really is the best drummer of them.

I think Peter and Aquiles are the only ones who have done at least one song or have I missed something?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline johncal

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I want every 7 drummers to do drum cam videos of all 3 songs so then we can choose who really is the best drummer of them.

I think Peter and Aquiles are the only ones who have done at least one song or have I missed something?

It's NOT our choice. EOS. Our choice is to listen to them...or not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
Wow.  Overreact much?  What's wrong with him saying the same thing that's been on most of our minds for months (that we'd love to see more of the audition footage)?  ???

Offline johncal

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
Wow.  Overreact much?  What's wrong with him saying the same thing that's been on most of our minds for months (that we'd love to see more of the audition footage)?  ???

Not "overreacting" at all. I'd love to see all the footage as well. He's acting like it's the fans right to choose who the drummer should be. Come on. This isn't Dancing with the Stars.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 12:24:54 AM »
Frankly, unless DT decides to issue the audition videos, I very much doubt we're gonna see any more videos. The two (or was it three?) drummers who released their own practice videos are drummers who have, PR-wise, something to gain from releasing the videos. The other drummers, i.e. Lang, Minnemann, Donati are very established names already, and they have nothing to gain to associate with a gig they didn't get.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:45 AM »
Not that it matters now but on the topic of the auditions......I've heard that Marco Minnemann was asked to join DT but turned it down due to the side project issue i.e. MM was infact second choice.
That is why the rumours initially came out that it was him.
I first read this on the Derek Roddy forum from Derek & also found a post from an artist (can't remember where as I was googling) who said that Marco was deciding whether to join or not.  But i've recently had this confirmed from Marco himself via a friend who met him at a Steven Wilson gig.

But the way I see it, MM is the perfect fit now so it doesn't matter....but its interesting and makes you look at the auditions in a slightly different light !
Its actually not that much of a suprise if you look at DT's reactions in the footage. remember JLB going up to JP and saying that was the best one by a mile.(at the end of Episode 1 as a trailer to Episode 2).
Lets face it he is rather special !

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
sounds like a ton of hearsay to me without any substantial proof. derek himself came across like a complete ass on his forum when the doc hit, so i'm personally not inclined to believe anything he says. so unless rich wilson pulls this out of the band for another "lifting shadows" update, i don't buy it...

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
derek himself came across like a complete ass on his forum when the doc hit

Agreed !

Yeah the Derek stuff & the other bit I googled is hearsay. But the last bit about what Marco said is true, maybe he got it wrong but he did say that.

Anyway it doesn't matter because MM fits perfectly and thats the most important thing.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
to add to it, there's stuff on google that says "minneman is still considering DT gig" that is dated in dec. JR posted the other day it was MM's 1 year anniversary of joining, therefore those marco rumors don't add up. roddy came out and said a lot of things that were dismissed by the other guys about the auditions (IE: wildoer) and i think marco himself blasted the doc, therefore i don't believe this rumor even if marco chimed in and said he turned it down for "side projects." how does THAT make any sense? everyone in DT has side projects.

and yes, mangini fits perfectly, but you brought up the point of marco as if to say it was fact, but there's no evidence that it is fact, and moreso, there's a lot of evidence to say it, in fact, is not...fact.

(that last line was fun to write!)

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
Marco believes that he was offered the DT gig and he turned it down due to the documnet that they wanted him to sign. I do not know the exact text in that doc but from what he was saying it put too big of a restriction on him hence he turned DT down.

I'm just saying what Marco has said recently. Whether it is true is up for debate. I believe that it is true but that is just my opinion and not fact.
When we express our opinions they often come out like they are a fact but that was not my intention so I will take the tone of my first post back.....if that makes sense.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
i just think if he's not saying something official about it to the public and instead saying it as a sidenote, it doesn't come across as legit...

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:03 AM »
Marco believes that he was offered the DT gig and he turned it down due to the documnet that they wanted him to sign. I do not know the exact text in that doc but from what he was saying it put too big of a restriction on him hence he turned DT down.

I'm just saying what Marco has said recently. Whether it is true is up for debate. I believe that it is true but that is just my opinion and not fact.
When we express our opinions they often come out like they are a fact but that was not my intention so I will take the tone of my first post back.....if that makes sense.

Not to beat a dead horse... but is there a source for Marco saying this?  Not busting your balls, just curios.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse... but is there a source for Marco saying this?  Not busting your balls, just curios.

up above the post you quoted, he says a friend of his heard it from marco directly...

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »
 :facepalm:  missed that....  OK, so no real source..