Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 266846 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anathema
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »
Anathema is one of my favourite bands, so I thought I'd make a topic. They aren't really well know in the US, which is a shame. They have a few really solid albums, but unfortunately their last album was a few years ago (not including Hindsight, which is acoustic renditions of old songs).

Last.fm tags them as atmospheric rock with a few progressive influences. Their style has changed alot, the first few albums were death/doom metal but their last few albums are atmospheric/progressive. I recommend all of you to listen to Judgement and Alternative 4, two of my favourite albums. But I like everything they made after (and including) Eternity.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:11:03 PM by TheVoxyn »

Offline Dunns Beard

Re: Anathema
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
Anathema are a great band. I wish they'd play a few more of their older songs when touring, but they regularly tour with PT so I guess they think their fans might not like the doom metal. Looking forward to their next album whenever it comes out. A Natural Disaster is definitely an album that all should check out with the only bad track being the title one IMO.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honour of a critic."

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »
I saw them live a few times (Both Headlining and supporting PT) and they are a great live band. In one of the concerts a guitar broke. While they were trying to fix it, the rest of the band made jokes and started playing some funny tunes - great experience.

I dislike the title track of A Natural Disaster as well. I find that Lee Douglas doesn't add alot to the band and I was glad she wasn't there last time I saw them live.

Offline jezstyle

• Rafiki from Stradley Hall
  • Rafiki from Stradley Hall
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »
They're a great band, judging from the Were You There? dvd (a bargain at just AUS$10!)

I'll have to check out their other releases really soon.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »
only 3 replies? I'm disappointed DTF.

Saw them supporting PT, was blown away.

While I'm more attracted to alternative 4 era, pulled under at 2000 metres a second is the best song I've ever heard to blast while driving along  :metal

Offline faemir

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
Everyone knows that Allmusic are reliable right?

"Three years ago, Liverpool's former power metal act Anathema issu" WAIT WHAT power metal  ???

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
Everyone knows that Allmusic are reliable right?

"Three years ago, Liverpool's former power metal act Anathema issu" WAIT WHAT power metal  ???

:lol

Anathema is a fantastic band that definitely deserve more fans than they have. I remember I heard a version of the song Sleepless that was done by Cradle of Filth, and I thought it was terrible. :lol  Lucky for me, the band that wrote the song ended up easily being in my top 5 bands EVAR.

tl;dr: Anathema rulez, COF sux
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
Hell yea, Anathema rules. I never see them mentioned on DTF and seeing as it is probably my second or thirf favorite band - I had to make a topic about them.

I bugged Nick for weeks to play some during his show, he really likes it now as well :).

They are a great live band. I probably was one of the only ones that preferred Anathema to PT at those shows though :p. I also saw them headlining with Demians as support - pretty awesome. They have an open policy on bootlegs, there is some pretty cool stuff on them. Like unreleased songs and some cool cover songs (like hurt by NIN or comfortably numb by PF)

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »
Anathema is like a Turkish band, every year they come and give concert; at least 5 concert each year  :lol

I guess; I went their shows 12 times. Everytime they make me their real fun!

I am a real of Judgement. Great solid album. No song in it not worth to listen. Masterpiece  :metal
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
I really love Anathema as well, they're in my top5 bands at least. :)
I'd say all their albums after Eternity are flawless, with my favorite being Judgement.
The Silent Enigma is a masterpiece as well, and the only 2 albums i'm not really hooked on is Eternity and their first album, which i just forgot the name of. :P
I guess Eternity will get me hooked, but their first albums feels really "meh", seeing as Vinny doesn't sing on it.
Overall my favorite tracks would be something like:
1. Regret
2. Emotional Winter
3. Forgotten Hopes
4. Flying
5. Temporary Peace

But then again, i haven't heard the new tracks... :)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Anathema are great indeed. Especially the albums that aren't death/doom. Some really emotional, atmospheric and depressive stuff on there.
I went to an acoustic gig Danny did a few months ago and before that I saw Duncan with Mick so I saw a fair share of Anathema songs live. They sound astonishing, even stripped down to just a guitar and vocals, or two guitars.
Their new album comes out later this year hopefully, October/November I think. Danny did a rough demo acoustic version of one of the songs and it was really great.

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
I'm really excited about the new album. Especially since SW's gonna be producing it.
women cops are a joke

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
They have been saying the album "is almost finished" for 3 years now. I don't believe it is actually coming until I have it in my hands :p.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 01:48:22 AM »
I'd love an album with some of the atmosphere from The Silent Enigma tbh.
The album doesn't need to be doomy, but i would love if Anathema could compose some longer stuff, kinda like Regret (which is 8 minutes long) :)

Offline 3MinuteWarning

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
...some cool cover songs (like hurt by NIN or comfortably numb by PF)

I saw them play Comfortably Numb at the Gods of Metal festival in 2007 then saw them play Hurt at the Download Festival in Donington the following weekend.  I've never had goosebumps like that at a show before.

I think my favourite album is A Fine Day To Exit.  Fantastic band.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 06:36:16 PM »
...some cool cover songs (like hurt by NIN or comfortably numb by PF)

I saw them play Comfortably Numb at the Gods of Metal festival in 2007 then saw them play Hurt at the Download Festival in Donington the following weekend.  I've never had goosebumps like that at a show before.

I think my favourite album is A Fine Day To Exit.  Fantastic band.
Awesome! I haven't heard any cover songs live yet :/. They were going to play hindsight once, but they ran out of time. They let us choose between Fragile Dreams and Hindsight, and me and my friends (we were at the front) all yelled Fragile Dreams so that is what they did. Hindsight is a pretty cool song though, judging from the bootleg versions.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
*kick*

I'm listening to Hindsight for the second time today (listened to it many times before though), and I just want to comment that there are some beautiful versions on here. Some don't really work (Fragile Dreams for instance), but songs like One Last Goodbye, Temporary Peace and my personal favorite, Are You There? are awesome acoustic.

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
*kick*

I'm listening to Hindsight for the second time today (listened to it many times before though), and I just want to comment that there are some beautiful versions on here. Some don't really work (Fragile Dreams for instance), but songs like One Last Goodbye, Temporary Peace and my personal favorite, Are You There? are awesome acoustic.

That song sounds great on Judgement, but so much better on Hindsight.
women cops are a joke

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »
*kick*

That song sounds great on Judgement, but so much better on Hindsight.
Yea, it's amazing. It's a really good song that gives me chills everytime I listen to it. It's even better live, the whole crowd just fell silent while it was played. And even though they played it for the billionth time, it was still full of emotion.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 06:03:36 AM »
Update:

15th of November has been revealed as release date for "Horizons"/ "we're here because we're here" (on twitter and on a forum). There is nothing on the official site though (although the site is really outdated anyway). This tracklist was posted by Danny as well, not sure if it is the final one.

further
summernight horizon
dreaming light of the sunrise
get off get out
angels walk among us
presence
a simple mistake
the gathering of the clouds
the storm before the calm
lightning song
and i see you in everything
hindsight

'We're Here Because We're Here' has been mentioned as album title. I prefer Horizons, but it's not too bad.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:10:49 AM by TheVoxyn »

Offline faemir

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »
FINALLY

edit: wait, that's yet another album coming out this year that will be awesome  :hat Album of the year will be horrible to judge!

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 06:23:25 AM »
The news I read sounds pretty credible (Finally!).
This year has been amazing so far. Too bad PoS will probably be next year :(.

I just read that it will be released on K-Scope in Europe, not sure about the rest of the world.
Chances are that Steven Wilson will be mixing the album.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

I thought he already was mixing it?    :-\
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »

I thought he already was mixing it?    :-\
He said he would be mixing it. But that was about 4 years ago :p. Not sure were in the progress of making the album they are now.

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
Quote from: Vincent Cavanagh's Twitter page
For the record: our new album wont be called Horizons. Any download links out there are fake. Dont use them! 5 days recording to go. Love, V

That was August 2'nd.
women cops are a joke

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
For the record: our new album wont be called Horizons. Any download links out there are fake. Dont use them! 5 days recording to go. Love, V

That was August 2'nd.
Yea, just read that as well.

Danny confirmed today on a forum that Steven Wilson wil not be producing the album. Chris Tsangarides is the most likely candidate now. And it will indeed be called 'We're Here Because We're Here'  (also said by Danny).

Anneke v Giersbergen probably did some vocals.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:37:33 AM by TheVoxyn »

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 03:49:15 AM »
we are on our way to london to meet with management and record company. Long awaited news to follow

https://twitter.com/vincentcavanagh

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 07:24:14 AM »

That was August 2'nd.
Yea, just read that as well.

Danny confirmed today on a forum that Steven Wilson wil not be producing the album. Chris Tsangarides is the most likely candidate now. And it will indeed be called 'We're Here Because We're Here'  (also said by Danny).

Anneke v Giersbergen probably did some vocals.

That last part makes me very happy! :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »
Wee bit disappointed SW isn't mixing altho I expect he's much busier now than he was when he originally decided to do it.

Preferred Horizons to We're Here... but I'll get over it long as album is great and I can see them live
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline faemir

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Damn it, why no Wilson :sadpanda:

However, new anathema so it doesn't matter anyway, it'll be damn good.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
Listening to Alternative 4 right now. Downloaded their entire discography. I'm really impressed by that first listen. Definitely some Pink Floyd influence, especially for the voice. Some of the vocals feels really similar to PF's vocals.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
Listening to Alternative 4 right now. Downloaded their entire discography. I'm really impressed by that first listen. Definitely some Pink Floyd influence, especially for the voice. Some of the vocals feels really similar to PF's vocals.
Yea, they are definitely influenced a lot by Floyd. They have some amazing covers of Comfortably Numb. Try Judgement next, last time I tried making a top 10 album list, Judgement was #4.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
Anyone got any news about the new album?
Last i heard, it was scheduled for November, but seeing as December isn't THAT far away, im starting to wonder. :o

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
Pushed back yet again, no new news...

Offline faemir

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:45:50 AM by faemir »