Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 266844 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Anathema
« Reply #2450 on: October 26, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
I like the solo album, but I’ve noticed a trend both here and on Anathema’s latest. My favorite track on The Optimist is ’San Francisco’, hands down the track I enjoy listening to the most. On the solo album, my favorite tracks are easily ’The Silent Flight...’ and ’Dawn’. Despite really liking Daniel’s voice, my favorite tracks from the last two releases has been the ones where he’s either barely singing, or if he’s not singing at all. I think the lyrics and vocals up to Distant Satellite have been spot on, but after that they have been a bit samey and just a bit too uneventful.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2451 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:04 AM »
I saw Anathema live a week ago and wrote a report: https://www.musicalypse.net/anathema-w-alcest-klubi-tampere-08-11-2017-english/ It was good, but the setlist was pretty short compared to the other shows, and Vincent was pissed off for some reason. I also interviewed Danny before the show - it'll probably be posted later this week.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2452 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
When I saw them live last month Danny was the one pissed off. He even showed middle finger to people in the first row during the first songs

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: November 15, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
I saw them a couple months back, Danny didn't seem to be into it as the other times I've seen them but Vincent was extatic. Now I'm worried that things are not going well with the band... :sad:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2454 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
When I saw them, Danny gave some people the finger but explained after the song that it was because people were filming with their phones while holding it over their head (blocking the view of people behind them) and Vinny then added that they don't mind people filming but they wanted people to keep it respectful. Which I can agree with, I've been at shows where people hold a huge iPad over their heads.. I mean come on!

Otherwise they seemed upbeat. Someone asked why John wasn't there and Vinny said it was because he was at home taking care of his daughter. So I don't know, maybe some added tension in the band from having to fill John's shoes as well?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: November 16, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »
I saw them a couple months back, Danny didn't seem to be into it as the other times I've seen them but Vincent was extatic. Now I'm worried that things are not going well with the band... :sad:
Danny told me that the South American tour was rough for him because of the flying schedule, but he looked a little absent-minded in Tampere as well, though I assumed it was just him being tired.

I thought maybe the gig I saw was just an off night for them, but it sounds like there's been negativity going on at other shows as well :-\ Giving people the finger - even if they're being jerks - is a little extreme.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2456 on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
Could all be connected to Danny's weight gain as well. I'm not one to judge, being overweight myself, but weight gain can be related to going through personal stuff and maybe it has just been a rough year for him or something. Other than Danny seeming a bit cranky (he did say he woke up just an hour before because he has a hard time sleeping on the road during the nights) the other members seemed to be having fun and they brought the positive energy. And Danny did warm up the longer the show went on and he did thank the crowd a lot after and said basically that a good crowd can really impact the gig and he thought it did.

There was some shouting for A Dying Wish and Sleepless which Danny and Vinny joked off, and Danny said "we wont play any death metal songs tonight" so they didn't seem too upset about it. I can kinda understand if Vinny would be frustrated more, because he had to fill in some shoes and do more with the keyboard, and for maybe half the show he kinda took the backseat at the back with no John available. But John being absent doesn't affect Danny much in terms of his responsibility on stage, yet maybe more on a personal level. I hope John returns though, I feel like him leaving the band would be sad not just because of what he brings musically but also him being so close with the brothers and having been in the band for so long. But hey it's just speculation. Hopefully whatever is up with his family (sickness perhaps?) will improve and he can return to the band.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: November 16, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
There was some shouting for A Dying Wish and Sleepless which Danny and Vinny joked off, and Danny said "we wont play any death metal songs tonight" so they didn't seem too upset about it. I can kinda understand if Vinny would be frustrated more, because he had to fill in some shoes and do more with the keyboard, and for maybe half the show he kinda took the backseat at the back with no John available. But John being absent doesn't affect Danny much in terms of his responsibility on stage, yet maybe more on a personal level. I hope John returns though, I feel like him leaving the band would be sad not just because of what he brings musically but also him being so close with the brothers and having been in the band for so long. But hey it's just speculation. Hopefully whatever is up with his family (sickness perhaps?) will improve and he can return to the band.

Wait.. what?  John Douglas left?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2458 on: November 16, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »
He's not on this tour but whatever that means for his future is just speculating like I said. The only info Vinny gave was that John was home because his daughter needed him.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: November 16, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »
He's not on this tour but whatever that means for his future is just speculating like I said. The only info Vinny gave was that John was home because his daughter needed him.

Oh huh. I know in the past Jamie and John (and maybe David?) have all had VISA issues that prevented them from touring.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: November 20, 2017, 03:28:26 AM »
Could all be connected to Danny's weight gain as well. I'm not one to judge, being overweight myself, but weight gain can be related to going through personal stuff and maybe it has just been a rough year for him or something.
Totally, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been going through a rough patch lately and his behavior and weight gain are just the tip of the iceberg.

Btw my intie is online now: https://www.musicalypse.net/anathema-daniel-cavanagh-tampere-2017/ He did talk about his dislike for travelling long distances, but I hope it's not too depressing a read overall :P

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: December 05, 2017, 07:05:41 AM »
https://metalwani.com/2017/12/interview-anathemas-dan-cavanagh-on-australian-tour-the-optimist-next-album.html
“There are certain factions in the band and in the management that are push, push, push. There are people that veto and say ‘we aren’t doing it this way or this way’ and to be honest with you, I am looking forward to having that argument! It will be quite fun!” he laughs.

“It’s quite funny how this band works. Vincent [Cavanagh] gets a lot of interviews and a lot of attention and he likes to think that he calls the shots, but to be honest with you, it’s me!” Cavanagh continues laughing and you can almost feel him winking down the phone at you while his brother listens from another bunk in the tour bus.
I know Danny is being tongue-in-cheek here, but I hope this is not an indication of any real power struggle between him and Vincent.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #2462 on: December 08, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
And then there's this, with a FB comment at the bottom from Danny.  He also replied to the link to the article in Anathema's Twitter feed.  I get where he's coming from, but it's an interesting look.

https://www.hysteriamag.com/anathema-origin-species/
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2463 on: December 09, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »
Based on the above, all is not good in Anathema camp. Something's going to (got to) change soon, whether one of them leaves or the band itself just caves in.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2464 on: December 09, 2017, 07:04:30 AM »
Maybe they should just take a year off or something to charge their batteries. Compare their activity since WHBWH came out with basically a new album every 2 years followed by intense touring with the 7 year gap between A Natural Disaster and WHBWH. (I know they still toured a bit and were writing, but still)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2465 on: December 09, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
Have I missed something? I can't see anything that implies a conflict within the band.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2466 on: December 09, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »
Yeah I'm curious as well.

Can anyone piece together what the issue might be?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2467 on: December 09, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
Have I missed something? I can't see anything that implies a conflict within the band.

See the above posts.

It seems like both Cavanagh brothers have been off-form at various times, and you just don't say the following:

https://metalwani.com/2017/12/interview-anathemas-dan-cavanagh-on-australian-tour-the-optimist-next-album.html
“There are certain factions in the band and in the management that are push, push, push. There are people that veto and say ‘we aren’t doing it this way or this way’ and to be honest with you, I am looking forward to having that argument! It will be quite fun!” he laughs.

“It’s quite funny how this band works. Vincent [Cavanagh] gets a lot of interviews and a lot of attention and he likes to think that he calls the shots, but to be honest with you, it’s me!” Cavanagh continues laughing and you can almost feel him winking down the phone at you while his brother listens from another bunk in the tour bus.
I know Danny is being tongue-in-cheek here, but I hope this is not an indication of any real power struggle between him and Vincent.

...without there being more than a shred of truth about it. You just don't.

For their longevity, a break of probably at least two years might do them some good. There's probably a good reason why they had a 7-year gap between albums from 2003-10.

I accept that this is all speculation.

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #2468 on: December 09, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
I've seen them just before the tour  for The Optimist took off and i can say they really had fun ,telling jokes and firing the place up.And it was a great show !! So i don't know if antything happened during the tour,maybe it is the lack of sleep.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2469 on: December 09, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »

See the above posts.

It seems like both Cavanagh brothers have been off-form at various times, and you just don't say the following:

For their longevity, a break of probably at least two years might do them some good. There's probably a good reason why they had a 7-year gap between albums from 2003-10.

There may be a conflict, but I don't think it is anything serious. You may be reading too much into it.

Upon the closing of their label Music for Nations after its purchase by Sony BMG, Anathema found itself without a record label, despite having completed an extensive tour of the UK with popular Finnish rock band HIM in April 2006. During their search for a new label, the band have adopted a more 'DIY' approach to music release, embracing the internet and releasing songs via their own website, for which fans may donate a monetary sum of their own choice. Despite the obvious lack of label-based tour support, the band continues to play dates across Europe, guitarist Danny Cavanagh also playing the odd low-key acoustic concert.

According to Wikipedia (which I know is often not a reliable source) they had a hiatus because they couldn't find a label.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: December 10, 2017, 01:53:31 AM »
And then there's this, with a FB comment at the bottom from Danny.  He also replied to the link to the article in Anathema's Twitter feed.  I get where he's coming from, but it's an interesting look.

https://www.hysteriamag.com/anathema-origin-species/
Yeah, the article is pretty misleading, because Danny is the main songwriter, but the fact that he had to comment on it (plus that quote in the Metalwani intie) makes me wonder if he's envious of Vincent or feels he's not getting enough recognition.
Maybe they should just take a year off or something to charge their batteries. Compare their activity since WHBWH came out with basically a new album every 2 years followed by intense touring with the 7 year gap between A Natural Disaster and WHBWH. (I know they still toured a bit and were writing, but still)
They had a 3-year gap between the latest 2 albums, which probably is about as much time as they can take off in the current state of the industry, but you have a point there.

See the above posts.

There may be a conflict, but I don't think it is anything serious. You may be reading too much into it.
Those comments may not mean much in isolation, but when you take into account the weird vibes that have been coming off the band lately, you can't help thinking something may be wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: January 11, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
Just saw something on Facebook about Anathema dropping out of Cruise to the Edge due to family reasons.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:54 AM »
Just saw something on Facebook about Anathema dropping out of Cruise to the Edge due to family reasons.

Saw the same thing on Twitter. No more details than that.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: January 12, 2018, 08:39:45 AM »
I wonder if this is related to why John Douglas had to take leave from the latest part of the tour.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2474 on: January 12, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
It's kind of all coming together. Put all these things together and it becomes obvious. Thoughts are with everyone involved, whatever it is they're going through.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
I wonder if this is related to why John Douglas had to take leave from the latest part of the tour.
It doesn't imply which family it is, but I have a feeling it's related to the illness/issues in John's family. Hopefully nothing too serious...

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2476 on: May 15, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
Man, I'm revisiting The Optimist a year on and I realized I was way too harsh on it. Maybe I wasn't expecting a sequel to A Fine Day to Exit after the three album powerhouses they recorded before, but I do like AFDtE, and if you look at the album as successor to it, it's actually quite compelling.

Yeah sorry for the bump for the people expecting news I had to say it don't hate me

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: May 16, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »
That's fine, bumping the thread to show love is always good  :tup.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2478 on: May 16, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »
Nah, keep it to yourself. We want news!  ;D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: June 22, 2018, 12:03:18 PM »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: June 22, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
Jamie is taking some time off: https://www.facebook.com/125049763628/posts/10156527803318629

Well this isn't the first time Jamie's taken a leave of absense.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: June 22, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
Jamie is taking some time off: https://www.facebook.com/125049763628/posts/10156527803318629

Well this isn't the first time Jamie's taken a leave of absense.
True, but this time they're going without a bassist altogether, using backing tracks instead (I assume). I saw Dark Tranquillity play without a bassist in 2013 and the sound lacked oomph, because pre-recorded bass can never beat the real thing.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: June 22, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »
True, but this time they're going without a bassist altogether, using backing tracks instead (I assume). I saw Dark Tranquillity play without a bassist in 2013 and the sound lacked oomph, because pre-recorded bass can never beat the real thing.

Huh well that's a bit weird....

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: June 23, 2018, 06:40:31 AM »
That is weird, I'm sure it sounds off.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2484 on: June 23, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
Wasn't Danny being cryptic and disgruntled a few months back too? I wonder if this is related or a whole new issue for the band. On an unrelated note, The Optimist has actually grown on me after disliking it initially.