Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 269622 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Anathema
« Reply #1995 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:19 AM »
Yeah first time here so as expected less new and more older stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1996 on: August 23, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »
That's a fantastic setlist imo, even if a bit safe. I know Are You There? isnt the most popular choice but I love it. Easily my favorite song with Danny as the primary vocalist.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1997 on: August 24, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
According to setlist.fm they played Sleepless at the first Australian show. That must've been a nice treat for those who have been fans and waited for them to come for over 20 years.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1998 on: August 24, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »
I love that setlist but the lack of DS kind of disturbs me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1999 on: August 24, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
IMO, it's kind of strange to see that they're playing an equal amount of songs from DS, WS, WHBWH, Judgement and A Natural Disaster.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2000 on: August 25, 2014, 03:29:31 AM »
Not really, if this is their first time playing down under.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bargey

• Moving In Circles
« Reply #2001 on: August 26, 2014, 02:21:47 AM »
Intro A New Machine (Part 1)
(Pink Floyd)

Untouchable, Part 1
Untouchable, Part 2
Thin Air
Sunlight < THIS WAS DREAMING LIGHT NOT SUNLIGHT
The Lost Song, Part 3
Anathema
Deep
The Storm Before the Calm
Universal
Closer
A Natural Disaster
Distant Satellites
A Simple Mistake

Encore:
Are You There? (Danny solo acoustic)
Parisienne Moonlight
One Last Goodbye
Fragile Dreams
Absolutely sensational setlist if you ask me. My only disappointment was not getting Internal Landscapes.

I caught all three shows. All were based around the same setlist but had a different feel. The best sound was in Brisbane, the best performance was in Sydney, and the Melbourne show was sold out and to be honest the venue wasn't really great for a band that is so great to watch, it's just too packed and is much better suited to bands that pull 50-100 people, not 1000 odd. Despite being jetlagged they brought it every night, all the performances were first rate, it increased my appreciation of them as a band to see they were every bit as good live as in the studio. It also increased my appreciation of distant satellites and a few of the other tracks on the playlist. Vincent & Lee's vocals were amazing, absolutely jawdropping. The encores were slightly different each night, Brissy got Empty, One Last Goodbye, Fragile dreams & Sleepless (Vincent sung the first verse twice by accident on Empty and they pulled the pin on it early cause things unravelled after that). Sydney got Danny performing Are You There, then Danny & Lee doing Parisienne Moonlight together and then the rest of the band did One Last Goodbye and Fragile Dreams. Melbourne was just one long show with those same songs in a slightly different order and no encore. If you paid for the meet & Greet you got Danny, Vincent & Lee doing acoustic Dreaming Light, Fragile Dreams & Lost Song Part II, and I heard Brissy M&G people got 2 other songs as well, though I'm not sure what. All three were great shows, I'm not sure where I'd put them all time because they're my favourite band, have been for 20 years, and I'd be slightly biased :) Lets just say that my expectations were incredibly high and they were exceeded. I can't wait to see them again, and I'll probably go to multiple shows next time too without hesitation, hell I'd go see them again tonight if I could.
Withdrawn and Introverted, Infectiously Perverted

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2002 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
I came here to say "Deep" is their best song, but by the time I actually started to write "The begining and the end" started to play and I changed my mind about my original thought   :lol
Oh you, Anathema, Stop being so awesome.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2003 on: August 26, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
I'm trying so hard to keep pronouncing the name as Uh NATH eh muh. It's hard, man. Anne UH Theme Uh rolls off the tongue better...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2004 on: September 13, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
Anathema is headlining progpower USA next year. Hopefully it will be one in a long string of NA dates.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: September 16, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Duncan Patterson's Alternative 4 is releasing a new album The Obscurants this week. The previews sound pretty good:

Album trailer
Lifeline
Dina

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2006 on: September 17, 2014, 02:58:38 AM »
Thanks, adding that to my to-listen list :tup

Offline krands85

« Reply #2007 on: September 19, 2014, 07:21:56 AM »
Did anyone happen to go to the Belfast show last night? I just had a look at setlist.fm and it says they only played 7 songs - which add up to less than 45minutes. That can't be right can it?  :-\

I'm seeing them in Glasgow on Sunday, I hope they play a lot more than that!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: September 19, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
I'm 100% sure that setlist is incomplete - here's a full one from Greece: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2014/principal-club-theatre-thessaloniki-greece-5bce5fec.html Looks like they're playing it safe for now... I haven't seen Anathema live yet so I don't mind, but it must be boring for longtime fans to hear all those songs over and over again.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2009 on: September 19, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »
I've seen them four times now, and every time with almost the exact same setlist. That's why I won't go to their Holland show if the setlist for this tour is the same once again.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2010 on: September 19, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »
I'm 100% sure that setlist is incomplete - here's a full one from Greece: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2014/principal-club-theatre-thessaloniki-greece-5bce5fec.html Looks like they're playing it safe for now... I haven't seen Anathema live yet so I don't mind, but it must be boring for longtime fans to hear all those songs over and over again.
That's a bit more like it  ;D It is a bit of a shame when bands don't mix it up that much, that set has 6 of the 7 songs they played when I saw them support Opeth a couple of years ago. I'm not really bothered in this case though, I'm just excited to see them headline and hear some of the new songs live, so I'd be pleased with that Greek setlist.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #2011 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:54 AM »
I won tickets to see them yesterday, literally a few hours before doors opened. I'd heard The Storm Before The Calm before and remember seeing their name around a lot but never gave them a proper listen, so I wasn't too sure what to expect. I was really impressed with the quality of the songwriting - Untouchable brought me to tears upon hearing it first time. Instantly bought Distant Satellites and Weather Systems off Amazon upon arriving home.  :tup
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2012 on: September 27, 2014, 07:46:44 AM »
That sounds like quite the night! I'm glad that it brought tears to your eyes, even being the first time you'd listened to it. The boys and girl in Anathema truly are the masters of emotion  :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2013 on: September 27, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
The boys and girl in Anathema truly are the masters of emotion  :heart

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2014 on: October 08, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
I saw Anathema in Milan two days ago, awesome concert!! In particular, the first 5 songs (Lost Song 1,2, Untouchable 1,2 and Thin Air) were incredibly emotional, maybe because we were very excited when they started to play or maybe because they are really some of their all time best songs. Closer and Fragile Dreams were the other highlights of the night in my opinion. After that night I like to listen more to Distant Satellites which I overlooked when it came out, being too similar to the previous albums. I recommend to anyone who haven't seen them live yet to do it when you can

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:05 AM »
I remember being afraid Anathema would drop all the pre-WHBWH songs from the setlist except Fragile Dreams, AND and Closer. Well, apparently I'd be a good clairvoyant: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2014/muziekcentrum-trix-antwerp-belgium-13cf69e1.html The absolute lack of songs from Judgement is pretty puzzling and sad. :-\

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2016 on: October 09, 2014, 02:17:30 AM »
Nothing from Judgement is kinda depressing, but overall the setlist is pretty good except for that.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2017 on: October 09, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »
Yeah I hope that doesn't become the norm. I really want to hear One Last Goodbye, Angelica, and Flying. Among others, of course

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2018 on: October 21, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
I thought this might interest some people:

2015 is going to represent a year of diverse live performances for Anathema. With some major surprising news coming soon -- as well as new unchartered territory with the UK Cathedral concerts -- we are beginning to focus on the bands entire catalogue, including material going back to our roots...

Sounds intriguing

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2019 on: October 21, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
More variety in live setlists is always a plus for me. It's nice to hear some of the classics, and a tour will always be representative of the album it is supporting, but all in all I enjoy bands mixing it up.

Not too long until I get to see them live, just 1 ½ week or so. Getting pretty excited.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2020 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »

2015 is going to represent a year of diverse live performances for Anathema. With some major surprising news coming soon -- as well as new unchartered territory with the UK Cathedral concerts -- we are beginning to focus on the bands entire catalogue, including material going back to our roots...

Sounds intriguing
That sounds good, I might actually go to see them live again if they change up their setlist!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2021 on: October 21, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »

Sounds intriguing
That sounds good, I might actually go to see them live again if they change up their setlist!

I sure hope they come back to the US for another headline tour. It was such a memorable experience.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:14 AM »
Duncan Patterson also posted this on his FB page:
Some interesting news just in.
Announcement tomorrow!
On top of that, he briefly changed his cover photo to a pic of the original Anathema line-up. Maybe this is hinting at some kind of anniversary show/tour where ex-members make appearances? I'd be happy even if they just played more Alt 4/Judgement songs than they do now, but revisiting the first three albums isn't a bad idea either. ;)

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2023 on: October 22, 2014, 09:32:51 AM »
If they do a gig or even better yet a tour with of only Alternative 4/Judgement songs that would be like my dream Anathema gig cause Judgement's pretty much my favorite Anathema album.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2024 on: October 22, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
Never heard anything by this band until last week. Started working my way through their discography and it's great stuff. I love Distant Satellites, just the sort of dreamy and atmospheric style I like. The Lost Song Part 1 and Ariel almost have me in tears.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2025 on: October 22, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
On their Facebook, Anathema is asking fans for 5 of their favorite songs from 1990-1999 as they are thinking of digging out songs from that era for their show in Wroclow, Poland on Monday.

For anyone interest these were my picks in no particular order:
1. Make It Right (F.F.S)
2. Judgement
3. One Last Goodbye
4. Restless Oblivion
5. Lost Control

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »
My picks:

Lost Control
Regret
Sunset of Age
Eternity Pt. 3
Restless Oblivion

Tbh that's not my actual top 5; just 5 songs I want to see them play. I love Deep, One Last Goodbye, Empty etc., but those get played relatively often. However, I had to pick Lost Control, because it's my #1 Anathema song! Restless Oblivion might be too heavy to blend in with the new material, but I'd like to see them give it a shot. If the old songs work at the Polish show, hopefully they'll stay in the set for the remainder of the tour! :caffeine:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2027 on: October 23, 2014, 03:01:28 AM »
There's so many, but I voted for:

Forgotten Hopes
Don't Look Too Far
Regret
Far Away
Shroud of Frost

Offline Onno

« Reply #2028 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:53 AM »
I picked:

A Dying Wish
Angelica
Far Away
Regret
Lost Control

Even though I'm not too familiar with the pre-A4 albums, I know that there are a few songs on those albums that I really like.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2029 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »
Regret, Lost Control, Alternative 4. I don't know so much Eternity and the albums before it. I like Judgement but I don't have big favourites from that album yet