Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 266891 times)

Offline pfillion

Re: Anathema
« Reply #2345 on: May 25, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:16:19 PM by pfillion »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2346 on: May 25, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
That sucks it got leaked. Danny sounds super let down

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2347 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
Tomorrow...

I need it sooo bad.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2348 on: June 09, 2017, 01:06:49 AM »
That 11:40 track is not 11:40 at all, as I kind of expected. 7:30-ish, then 3 minutes of silence and a hidden track. So Anathema's contribution to the great pantheon of prog epics will have to wait.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2349 on: June 09, 2017, 06:02:29 AM »
Yeah it's only about 7 minutes. Still, probably the best song on the album, so something to look forward to. ;)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2350 on: June 09, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
Will be picking this up later today. For those who have already heard it how does it compare to their last 3 albums?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:36 AM »
Will be picking this up later today. For those who have already heard it how does it compare to their last 3 albums?

I think that will depend on you. I really loved the last 3 albums on the first listen which was not the case with this one. I will need to give it a few more spins to really appreciate it (listening to it while you're working is not the best for a 1st listen).

And I will agree with Zantera here, Back to the start is the best song in the album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2352 on: June 09, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
Listening now

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: June 09, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
I've got a physical copy of The Optimist yesterday at the band's gig in Moscow, but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. They've played some new songs, some of them sounded solid and pretty good to me, some not so much.

THERE ARE SETLIST SPOILERS BELOW

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2017/yotaspace-moscow-russia-13e761c9.html

Out of the new songs, I really liked how Springfield worked as an opener, and I also liked Endless Ways a lot (although I suppose they could've cut down the number of "the dream I'm creating" lines in the end). I thought Leaving it Behind and Can't Let Go were both alright. Don't remember much about the title track, and I didn't like Wildfires. Perhaps that would change when I listen to the studio version.

I wish they had stopped playing Closer and Distant Satellites. That's the second time I saw both songs live, and I thoroughly dislike both. :)

Highlights from the older material were Pressure, A Natural Disaster (nothing new here, but I just love this song) and whole encore. The Judgment block of songs was fantastic, and of course Untouchable Pt. 1 was awesome too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2354 on: June 09, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
Yeah it's only about 7 minutes. Still, probably the best song on the album, so something to look forward to. ;)
BUT TITLE TRACK

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2355 on: June 09, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »
Did my usual routine, listened to the album for the first time in my car down by the ocean with a nice view. Still only heard it once and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I have no idea why, but I expected to not be very impressed by this, and while some songs are a bit overly repetitive, I thought almost all songs were really nice. Except for maybe Wildfires, didn't love that one.

I'm listening to San Francisco right now again. Wonderful track to have on in the background, I love the feel it has.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2356 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
I know that The Optimist has only just come out, but I've actually ordered Weather Systems, so that should be here next week. As a personal "milestone", it will be the 200th album in my collection.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: June 09, 2017, 02:19:02 PM »
Second listen is going so much better than the first. I'm really liking this album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2358 on: June 09, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
I didn't get my CD today :( It was shipped yesterday though, so it should definitely be here tomorrow..

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2359 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »
With the exception of a couple of songs, I don't like it.

1. 32.63n 117.14w  - Pretty much nothing

2. Leaving it behind- Not much going on, very straitforward

3. Endless ways- Beautiful

4. The optimist - Decent

5. San francisco- Pretty much nothing

6. Springfield- I love it

7. Ghosts- Pretty good

8. Can't let go- up beat, chipper and straitforward. No thanks

9. Close you eyes- Not bad, but I feel like the horn section clashes with the song.

10. Wildfires- Ok i guess

11. Back to start- so so

What the hell happened. There feels like there's conflicting ideas here. Overall, for me its missing that somber, tragic beauty that Anathema usually brings.

People seem to be digging it, and that is great. I just myself am not really feeling it all that much.

In the meantime, I will always have Weather systems, which to me is a god tier masterpiece, which I shall bow down and worship until the day that I breathe my last breath.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2360 on: June 10, 2017, 03:34:03 AM »
The new album is easily better than Weather Systems

Offline krands85

« Reply #2361 on: June 10, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »
People seem to be digging it, and that is great. I just myself am not really feeling it all that much.
Likewise, which is a pity because they've been one of my favourite bands for the last few years. It was bound to happen at some point though, it's been a long time since they released an album that I didn't love.

Not sure exactly what's not quite clicking with me, but one of the things I'm not too keen on is that there seems to be a lack of Vincent. Even in most of the sections he does sing, it doesn't seem to hit me with the same punch or emotion that his vocals have done in the past. Another thing is that a lot of the album sounds a bit too much like Radiohead for my liking.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2362 on: June 10, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »
Got my CD today! I've only had time to listen to the album twice however, and I was doing other stuff while listening. So I'm gonna need some more listens to judge.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2363 on: June 10, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
Well, as a die-hard Anathema fan from the begining this album could be worst of their "changed era" I listen it so many times in two days and I don't feel like re-visit anytime soon. I've never felt like this before for Anathema.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2364 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
Well, as a die-hard Anathema fan from the begining this album could be worst of their "changed era" I listen it so many times in two days and I don't feel like re-visit anytime soon. I've never felt like this before for Anathema.

Same here. Endless Ways might be my all time favorite Anathema track but the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2365 on: June 11, 2017, 03:19:52 AM »
It sounds very disjointed to say the least.
Almost like it was rushed, some songs sound unfinished and even like they are rough demo's or even jams.
Very disappointing to say the least.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2366 on: June 11, 2017, 04:37:11 AM »
Considering the previous 2 albums were lesser versions of WHBWH I think it's baffling to call it disappointment when they finally break that pattern and do something else. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy WS and DS but at this point I almost forgot Anathema could do something else musically so this album was a breath of fresh air in that sense.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: June 11, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »
I would say Weather Systems is far superior to We're Here Because We're Here, in my opinion. I agree about Distant Satellites though, it felt like a lesser version of these two.

After two listens, I'm not a fan of the new album. I'll keep spinning it during the upcoming week, but so far it didn't click with me. I do like Springfield and Endless Ways, though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2368 on: June 11, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
Didn't like this one, vocal melodies throughout seem subpar, production sounds weird as well.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2369 on: June 12, 2017, 05:33:26 AM »
Endless Ways is gorgeous. Lee's voice is angelic.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2370 on: June 12, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »
this album could be worst of their "changed era"

This is my reaction as well as the reaction of some Anathema fans I've talked to elsewhere. Zantera aside I'd say it definitely seems like the prevailing opinion. While I do agree with Zantera that it's nice they tried some new things, new things does not always mean better or well executed. If they continue in this vein it will be interesting to see if the next album is better executed.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2371 on: June 12, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »
I definitely like that they've done something a bit different. I also think there is some absolutely wonderful stuff across the album. The title track gives me chills every time.

But the last two albums have been absolute favourites of mine (WS is literally my favourite ever album) and The Optimist just doesn't live up to that. Overall I think's a smidge behind We're Here as well, but it's around that quality level for me, roughly on a par with A Natural Disaster.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2372 on: June 12, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
Weather Systems arrived this morning. I listened this afternoon. The ending of The Storm Before the Calm is awesome! Just so euphoric, like plenty of Anathema moments. You have this great buildup (from the quiet bit in the middle of the song), and the payoff is worth it!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2373 on: June 12, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
Weather Systems arrived this morning. I listened this afternoon. The ending of The Storm Before the Calm is awesome! Just so euphoric, like plenty of Anathema moments. You have this great buildup (from the quiet bit in the middle of the song), and the payoff is worth it!

That song took a few listens before I got into it and then I wondered what took so long because it's such a great song.  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2374 on: June 12, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
Love this band more than life itself. The Optimist is a little different for sure, and it usually takes me a long time to really get an Anathema album. I really like the continued and expanded use of electronics but so far this feel a bit more of a "mood piece" rather than a set of awesome songs. Time will tell.

FWIW I rank WHBHW, WS and DS about equal.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2375 on: June 17, 2017, 03:00:08 AM »
I don't like the electronics and I don't think they did something different with this record. It is probably the weakest of their changed era, like already stated.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2376 on: June 17, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
I would probably agree with that. Still enjoy the album a lot though.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2377 on: June 17, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »
I've just got into early Anathema recently, i.e. Serenades, Pentecost III, Crestfallen, etc, and I find it so much more interesting than the new record.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2378 on: June 17, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »
A lot of the old stuff is more interesting than what they have been doing since WHBWH period. There's great stuff through their career and an album like The Silent Enigma beats Weather Systems or Distant Satellites meanwhile those beat the somewhat awkward Eternity, which while I still like, is a bit of an awkward transitional album.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2379 on: June 17, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
I've just got into early Anathema recently, i.e. Serenades, Pentecost III, Crestfallen, etc, and I find it so much more interesting than the new record.

Well, Crestfallen is amazing. Still my favourite.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.