Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 270507 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Anathema
« Reply #2275 on: March 24, 2017, 05:22:25 AM »
The Optimist comes out June 9th.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/anathema/anathema-reveal-details-cover-artwork-for-new-studio-album-the-optimist/10155255551173629/

optimist /ˈɒptɪmɪst/
noun: optimist; plural noun: optimists
1. a person who tends to be hopeful and confident about the future or the success of something.
2.  a person who believes that this world is the best of all possible worlds or that good must ultimately prevail over evil.
After Anathema’s 2012 award-winning album Weather Systems and 2014’s spellbinding Distant Satellites, the ambient rockers are back with their eleventh full-length, The Optimist. Due for release on 9th June through Kscope The Optimist will soon reveal some of the darkest, most challenging and unexpected music the sextet have put their name to.

Anathema, led by brothers Daniel and Vincent Cavanagh, along with drummer John Douglas, singer Lee Douglas, bassist Jamie Cavanagh and keyboardist Daniel Cardoso began recording The Optimist in the winter of 2016 at Attica Audio in Donegal, Ireland and then finished at Castle Of Doom studios in Glasgow with producer Tony Doogan [Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian, Super Furry Animals] at the helm. Vincent elaborates on Doogan’s influence on the recording process “he suggested that we record as a live band, which we hadn’t done for years. Having played a few tunes on the last tour, we were ready for that. Tony wanted to capture that energy you can only get with everyone facing each other… it makes a big difference. He was a superb guy to work with and I learned a lot making this record”

The idea for The Optimist was born from the front cover artwork of the band’s 2001 album A Fine Day To Exit Daniel Cavanagh explains “I suppose you might say the album is semi-autobiographical because this time we used a surrogate,” he says, of the character that is The Optimist “We put sound, feelings and crucially, our own hopes and fears into another person and made him the subject of the songs then weaving my own internal monologue into the narrative of The Optimist. It was John’s idea to write a narrative, so I took A Fine Day To Exit as the starting point”. Vincent elaborates further on the earlier album’s artwork influence “The guy who disappeared – you never knew what happened to him, did he start a new life? Did he succumb to his fate? It was never explained. The opening track title is the exact coordinates for Silver Strand beach in San Diego – the last known location of The Optimist – shown on the cover of A Fine Day to Exit.”
To continue the theme further, the band brought back designer and illustrator Travis Smith to create the artwork for The Optimist. The artwork was created from a series of photographs Smith took on a West Coast road trip.

With the character’s unresolved destiny the three song writing members, meticulously brought the unfinished story to an end – and most strikingly of all – one which is decided by the listener.

32.63N 117.14W (01:18)
Leaving It Behind (04:27)
Endless Ways (05:49)
The Optimist (05:37)
San Francisco (04:59)
Springfield (05:49)
Ghosts (04:17)
Can`t Let Go (05:00)
Close Your Eyes (03:39)
Wildfires (05:40)
Back To The Start (11:41)

Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpjlNP50qUg

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2276 on: March 24, 2017, 05:29:00 AM »
I am hyped

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2277 on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:34 AM »
What a nice way to start off the day! 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Fuck yeah
« Reply #2278 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:11 AM »
I am hyped
This. I wonder if they'll go into a more electronic direction - considering they recorded it live maybe they won't, but who knows.

Also wait, is A Fine Day to Exit a concept album?  :o

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2279 on: March 24, 2017, 06:54:03 AM »
What is that 11 minute track doing there?

This could well be interesting indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2280 on: March 24, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »
What is that 11 minute track doing there?

This could well be interesting indeed.

Sequel to "In the Dog's House" from AFDTE, of course! "Chiiiiickennnnnsssssss"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: March 24, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
Excited for this. Going to buy this for sure, and also going to grab tickets for their Moscow show in June.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2282 on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
So the album cover shows the band's name as "ana_thema"...now I am even more confused on how they pronounce their name. I thought it was "an-a-THE-ma" at first, but then read it to was supposed to be "a-NATH-e-ma", so I've been saying that for years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2283 on: March 24, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »
Excited, and will order this as soon as I can for sure.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2284 on: March 24, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
I think the "the" part is pronounced like "thay": A-na-thay-ma

That's how I've always seen it, but I might be wrong, it could be because "thema" is a Dutch word and it's pronounced like that so in my mind it's just "ana" + "thema".

"a-NATH-e-ma"
If this is actually correct I will be pretty disappointed :lol that sounds soooo ugly to me

Anyway, looking forward to the album
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:51 AM »
Hmmm, I've always pronounced it a-NA-them-a... :dunno:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2286 on: March 24, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2287 on: March 24, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »
Yeah, it's aNATHema. It's a word in English.

And unless they've done that silly thing of including silence and a hidden track, that last one will surely be one of their longest ever. Interesting that they've changed their logo as well, having used the same one since WHBWH.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2288 on: March 24, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
New logo, new producer, recording live in the studio, a continuation of the AFDTE theme... :o The hype is real!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2289 on: March 24, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »

I figured as much as I've heard it before years ago, so the album logo and choice of underscore really confused me, unless it's meant to parallel the album title "the_optimist", in which case, it's a poor choice because it only confuses the band's name's pronunciation even more, as the underscore begs to be a syllabic break when spoken.

And unless they've done that silly thing of including silence and a hidden track, that last one will surely be one of their longest ever. Interesting that they've changed their logo as well, having used the same one since WHBWH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Optimist_(Anathema_album)

I love whoever wrote this article because of this line - "The song "Back to the Start" is their first over-ten-minutes song since A Natural Disaster."  :lol :lol :lol
I guess that's a pretty big deal for a band that rarely writes songs over 5 or 6 minutes long, but the wording just sounds a bit clunky to me.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:40:45 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2290 on: March 24, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
I wish it was June so bad.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2291 on: March 25, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
No, that's Spock's Beard.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2292 on: March 26, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »
Aww yes! I'm excited!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: March 27, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
Pretty Excited. Already got my tickets for the Buenos Aires show.

No, that's Spock's Beard.

:lol :clap:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2294 on: March 27, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »

I figured as much as I've heard it before years ago, so the album logo and choice of underscore really confused me, unless it's meant to parallel the album title "the_optimist", in which case, it's a poor choice because it only confuses the band's name's pronunciation even more, as the underscore begs to be a syllabic break when spoken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Optimist_(Anathema_album)

I love whoever wrote this article because of this line - "The song "Back to the Start" is their first over-ten-minutes song since A Natural Disaster."  :lol :lol :lol
I guess that's a pretty big deal for a band that rarely writes songs over 5 or 6 minutes long, but the wording just sounds a bit clunky to me.

-Marc.

It is. It also doesn't need to be in that introduction. It's an interesting tidbit of info, but not *that* important.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2295 on: March 30, 2017, 04:39:19 AM »
First track from the new album: Springfield
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2296 on: March 30, 2017, 05:50:09 AM »
Perfectly fine Anathema track. I do wish that the first song released would be something with a bit more to it. But this was still good, very recognisably them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2297 on: March 30, 2017, 07:01:28 AM »
Agreed, a very Anathema song.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2298 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:21 AM »
I really liked it. The sparingly use of the vocals made it feel different and it had an older Anathema vibe to it, mixed with the sound of the newer albums.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2299 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
The lyrics seem to be a continuation of Barriers, though of course they may be changed before it gets recorded.
They didn't, but it makes a lot more sense now for obvious reasons. :biggrin:

The band announced a Euro tour for the fall, so I'll see them in November! I wonder if they'll bring back some AFDTE material into the setlist due to the connection between these two records... I'd personally love it, because AFDTE is my 4th favorite album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2300 on: March 30, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Fuck me sideways, i love this new track.

They played it live and i heard it a little while back, but it is totally cemented in my brain and i love it

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: March 30, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
Did they record the song in the dark or is that a special filter or something?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2302 on: March 30, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
I liked it. Typical Anathema.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2303 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »
Liked the new song. I heard also Ghosts and John Martyn live, and the last one is my favourite but I don't see it in the tracklist of the new album. Maybe it's a cover or they have changed the title, I don't know.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2304 on: March 30, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2305 on: March 30, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
Read a hilarious comment on a Facebook post sharing the new song: it was something along the lines of "How can you make a song with 2 notes and expect it to sound good?!"  :rollin

I mean, sure, the melody isn't much, but the song, and their music over all, is about MOOD and FEEL, the atmosphere of it all. Someone obviously doesn't get Anathema...

-Marc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2306 on: March 30, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »
I agree 100%

Less is more some times and there is an elegance in its simplicity. Bottom line, its a hauntingly beautiful and addictive ass song dripping with passion and emotion.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2307 on: April 01, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
At first I thought the song was too simplistic for Anathema

Then it exploded in my face

Love it

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2308 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »
At first I thought the song was too simplistic for Anathema

Then it exploded in my face

Love it
Exactly my thoughts, the melody at the first part is very simple, but the way it explodes is just amazing
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2309 on: April 17, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
I really dig A sort of homecoming. The stripped down sound and those beautiful acoustics are chilling. A particular standout is A natural disaster, which I had heard for the first time on this album. So good