Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 270530 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Anathema
« Reply #2170 on: June 23, 2015, 02:23:37 AM »
If I had to make a top15 Anathema songs, it would include (in no particular order, I just put them in chronologically)

Sleepless
Sunset of Age
Far Away
Fragile Dreams
Alternative 4
Regret
One Last Goodbye
Emotional Winter
A Fine Day to Exit
Flying
Thin Air
Universal
Untouchable (All parts)
The Lost Song (All parts)
Anathema

Let's face it, you can't split up Untouchable or Lost Song.  :angel:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2171 on: June 23, 2015, 10:20:51 AM »
I know there was talk of doing an Anathema discography thread a while ago, but for some reason that never materialized. However, this year marks the band's 25th anniversary, there were the Resonance shows and the Music for Nations reissues in the spring, and I'm seeing them live again in August, so I thought about reviewing all the Anathema albums in my blog, but I realized I could run a discography thread over here at the same time. Anyone interested in following?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2172 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
I'd follow. If anything it would be a nice chance to speak fondly about the earlier Anathema albums, since most of the discussions here are usually restricted to WHBWH-WS-DS.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2173 on: June 23, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »
I'd definitely follow. I'm not familiar with their early death/doom albums so it'll be a nice chance to revisit them.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2174 on: June 23, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
I know there was talk of doing an Anathema discography thread a while ago, but for some reason that never materialized. However, this year marks the band's 25th anniversary, there were the Resonance shows and the Music for Nations reissues in the spring, and I'm seeing them live again in August, so I thought about reviewing all the Anathema albums in my blog, but I realized I could run a discography thread over here at the same time. Anyone interested in following?

Yes I've been waiting for you to start it for a while now.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: June 23, 2015, 12:11:12 PM »
Cool, I'll do it then! :metal

Do you guys think the EPs (Crestfallen, Pentecost III) and the compilations of re-recorded songs (Hindsight, Falling Deeper) should be included as well, or will we concentrate only on the studio albums?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2176 on: June 23, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
Speaking only for myself, I'd definitely be up for participating in the discussion for all of those. Though I don't know how much activity they will generate beyond a couple of people. Maybe if there isn't that much discussion, but you still want to include them, you can leave less time for each one?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: June 23, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »
Yeah, I think I'd feature the full-length albums for a week or so, and leave 3-4 days for the other releases.

At least I think the EPs (especially P3) were an important part of Anathema's development in the early days, and the songs from those releases also got played at the Resonance shows, so it'd be a shame if they were completely ignored. The compilations also offer something new despite being remakes of old stuff.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2178 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
I've never listened to the early albums (pre-Alternative 4) or the EPs but I would most certainly enjoy reading about them, it would provide a nice guide on how to get started on those.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2179 on: June 23, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
I've never listened to the early albums (pre-Alternative 4) or the EPs but I would most certainly enjoy reading about them, it would provide a nice guide on how to get started on those.
Same for me, I only listened 2 or 3 songs on the albums before Alternative 4, I would like to read something about them.
My top 10 is really similar to Zantera's top 15 for some albums:
Alternative 4
Regret
Lost Control
Emotional Winter
Balance+Closer (don't know what to choose and they flow really well in the album)
Thin Air
A Simple Mistake
Universal
Untouchable (All parts)
The Lost Song (Part 1-2)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2180 on: July 02, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
I ordered the Fine Days box set, because I wanted to get the new version of AFDTE and Were You There, and I didn't have AND on CD. The booklet includes all the lyrics and comments by Danny on each album, which is nice. I still need some time to get used to the new tracklist of AFDTE, though!

Anyway, the age limit for the DVD listed on the back cover is 12, and the reason for that is "suicide references". ??? I mean, the lyrics are sad, but not THAT depressive IMO! :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2181 on: July 11, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »
Vincent performed a solo acoustic set for the first time tonight, at the Be Prog, My Friend festival in Barcelona. I didn't have a ticket for the festival because I didn't know at the time that I would be arriving in the city just in time to enjoy the show from right outside the square. It's an outdoors festival held annually in Spanish Village, which you can get into for 7 euros. While the little square is blocked off, it's all really cozy in here and the sound is still quite nice so I was able to hear the show to my hearts content. He only played for 50 minutes, but it was quite nice nonetheless. Highlights were Flying, Distant Satellites, Deep and a crowd-sung happy birthday for John Douglas (recorded by Vincent).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: August 03, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
Anathema played in Helsinki last night with Dream Theater. Their luggage hadn't arrived in Finland, so Vinnie, Danny and Lee played an acoustic set in casual clothes ("these pyjamas are NOT a fashion statement!" :lol) with borrowed instruments. They ended the show with a surprise cover of Wish You Were Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAYtH1wMDKc Most of the people were clearly there for DT, but they slowly warmed up to Anathema and the band was visibly relieved that things turned out for the best in the end. I'm writing a concert report as my first foray into the world of journalism, so you can read more about the show soon. :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2183 on: August 07, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
The concert report is online: https://www.musicalypse.net/reports/dream-theater-2015.php

Also, did anyone else see the announcement for the tour edition of Distant Satellites? According to Omerch, this is the tracklist for the second disc:
1. The Lost Song part 1 (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (05:53)
2. Ariel (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (04:05)
3. The Lost Song part 3 (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (04:31)
4. Firelight (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (02:16)
5. Anathema (live at Liverpool Cathedral) (07:15)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2184 on: August 07, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
The concert report is online: https://www.musicalypse.net/reports/dream-theater-2015.php

Also, did anyone else see the announcement for the tour edition of Distant Satellites? According to Omerch, this is the tracklist for the second disc:
1. The Lost Song part 1 (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (05:53)
2. Ariel (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (04:05)
3. The Lost Song part 3 (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (04:31)
4. Firelight (acoustic in session –
Liverpool Parr Street Studios) (02:16)
5. Anathema (live at Liverpool Cathedral) (07:15)

Yeah. Not worth the price, I wouldn't say. But it makes sense to do it that way rather than make it a standalone EP nobody would buy. Now they'll at least catch listeners who haven't bought the album proper.

You can hear the "Lost Song" acoustic on the new Kscope Podcast, which also has the re-recorded "Lazarus" by Steven Wilson and the new TesseracT song. I really like their podcast... if you can get past how snooty the guy's voice is!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2185 on: August 11, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
Apparently the Distant Satellites Tour Edition is being released "to coincide with the band’s first headline tour in the US in September 2015..." I thought that tour with Alcest in 2013 was their first headline US tour (I was at the NYC show). And if they're touring the US next month, why haven't they announced dates for it yet (unless they did but I didn't even know)?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2186 on: August 11, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
They haven't announced dates, but there has definitely been talk about it in several places.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: August 17, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
I thought that tour with Alcest in 2013 was their first headline US tour (I was at the NYC show).
It was a co-headlining tour, so technically speaking this upcoming one would be their first proper headlining tour.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: August 27, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »
From the band's FB:

Anathema’s ‘A Sort of Homecoming’ announced and now available to pre-order!

Directed by Lasse Hoile (Steven Wilson / Katatonia / Opeth), A Sort Of Homecoming is a stunning concert film of Anathema’s homecoming show on March 7th 2015 in the spectacular setting of the Liverpool Cathedral. Set for release on 30th October through Kscope (Steven Wilson, TesseracT, Katatonia), the concert was described by Prog Magazine as “a once in a lifetime experience that words can barely do justice.”

"A Sort of Homecoming" will be released as :

4 disc box set featuring 2 CD – concert audio (100 mins), DVD – full concert plus an additional behind the scenes film ‘A Temporary Peace’ and concert on Blu-ray disc. In a deluxe rigid media book with 36 page booklet, presented in a slipcase.

2CD + DVD-V - The set features the full 100 minute audio and DVD-V of the concert with 5.1 audio mixed by The Pineapple Thief’s Bruce Soord.

Blu-ray disc - featuring the full 100 minute concert plus an additional behind the scenes film ’A Temporary Peace’ with 5.1 audio mixed by The Pineapple Thief’s Bruce Soord

LP - a gatefold triple 180g black vinyl LP including MP3 download code

More details and track listing for each format found here.

YouTube trailer
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2189 on: August 27, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »
It feels a bit like milking it, especially considering they released Universal fairly recently, and the fact that a live DVD/CD covering the reunion-set they did with Duncan Patterson and Darren White for the 25/30 year anniversary would have been more interesting, but I'll still listen to it and probably enjoy it. They're great live, and while this feels like an easy release to finance the next studio album or touring, I can't fault them for putting out a live album when they're a strong live band. Just would have hoped to see the Resonance setlist instead. That would have been truly special.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2190 on: August 27, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »
That trailer sounds amazing, wow.

It feels a bit like milking it, especially considering they released Universal fairly recently, and the fact that a live DVD/CD covering the reunion-set they did with Duncan Patterson and Darren White for the 25/30 year anniversary would have been more interesting, but I'll still listen to it and probably enjoy it. They're great live, and while this feels like an easy release to finance the next studio album or touring, I can't fault them for putting out a live album when they're a strong live band. Just would have hoped to see the Resonance setlist instead. That would have been truly special.

It may be a bit like milking it, but I don't see Anathema as a very rich and commercially succesful band, so I don't blame them for it.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2191 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:04 AM »
I don't think they've released an acoustic live recording so far, though. (Or if they have I haven't heard of it)
So I'm actually really looking forward to this release, the trailer looks and sounds really good.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2192 on: August 27, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
I agree with Zantera in that a recording of the Resonance show probably would have been *much* more interesting, but I'm still really looking forward to this.

It'll be interesting to see how this one stacks up against Universal, which has become my favorite live release from any band.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2193 on: August 27, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
Not a fan of the setlist myself.

On a side note, Opeth are gonna do a show where Universal was shot. Not an Opeth fan myself but I am still not decided if I want to check them out - they will have orchestra too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: August 28, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
The setlist looks pretty "meh" on paper, but having seen the trailer and the acoustic gig in Helsinki, I think this will be great. However, I'm not sure if I'll buy this upon release - the Bluray includes the doc and is available on its own without the CDs (which I'd never listen to), so I may wait until I've bought a Bluray player. Then again, I've said that about every Bluray with exclusive extras and ended up caving in and buying the DVD version instead. :lol

A Resonance DVD would've been a must-buy for me, but I guess it makes more sense business-wise to put out a live release focusing on the new stuff, as it's more popular, and they only played 1 or 2 songs from each post-A4 album at the Resonance tour.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2195 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
The setlist is pretty good, I think. Nothing like Resonance, of course, but I'm still really looking forward to Temporary Peace, Electricity and all the DS songs.

Side note, I don't like A Natural Disaster (the track) nearly as much as the band seems to. I can understand why it's been a fixture in their shows, since it gives Vinnie a little bit of a break and lets Lee showcase her skills more, but it's always been my least favorite song on the album.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2196 on: August 29, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
8/15 songs are also in Universal - I think they could have gone for a bit more variety there and play more of the older stuff but I guess being acoustic will be enough of a novelty to make it good. I think I'll get just the blu-ray, I don't like listening to live CDs anyway.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2197 on: September 05, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
The Tour Edition of Distant Satellites is up on Spotify. I really recommend it, the acoustic tracks are magical.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2198 on: September 12, 2015, 05:49:19 AM »
There've been several mentions of a U.S. tour this year from the band. In one interview I even read something about two tours. But with their current tour schedule I don't see where it could possibly fit in. In a recent interview Vincent said that the cruise would be their last show of the year. So...  :huh:  :-[  :'(

Maybe next year?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2199 on: September 12, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
Currently listening to one of my very favorite Anathema songs, Distant Satellites

I do hope they continue in the electronica direction for the next album

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: September 13, 2015, 05:38:44 AM »
There've been several mentions of a U.S. tour this year from the band. In one interview I even read something about two tours. But with their current tour schedule I don't see where it could possibly fit in. In a recent interview Vincent said that the cruise would be their last show of the year. So...  :huh:  :-[  :'(

Maybe next year?
Obviously they've got visas already (since they played ProgPower), so maybe the promoters screwed up? Either way, that sucks for the US fans and kind of defeats the purpose of the "tour edition" of DS.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2201 on: October 09, 2015, 10:08:22 AM »
Anathema, from A Sort of Homecoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7TOJt5bQtU

I really like that violin.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2202 on: October 09, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »
it sounds so much more lovely live. I cant wait to hear the rest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2203 on: October 26, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
So, I've heard the band name Anathema thrown around every now and again. Frankly, I don't remember if I ever gave them a listen before.

So I see their name again for their upcoming live release and decide, "What the hell? I'll check out a song." I go to you YouTube, type in 'Anathema' and just click on the first video that comes up. Weather Systems complete album. Cool.

Now, I maybe run across a song that I get really emotionally attached to once a year. Maybe. The last song I was really into was Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing. And the minute he starts singing in Untouchable Part I...I was just enamored. The harmonies were absolutely beautiful and the lyrics heart-wrenching. Since then (this was probably a week and a half ago), I've been obsessed with Untouchable Parts 1 and 2. The rest of the album is pretty damn great, although I haven't given the last 3 tracks many spins, as I'll inevitably just cycle back to the first two because I mostly listen to music in my car on the way to/from work.

With that said, I read a bit about the band's history and am really excited to dive into their discography!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2204 on: October 26, 2015, 09:45:34 PM »
With that said, I read a bit about the band's history and am really excited to dive into their discography!
Awesome! ? did a discography thread of them a couple of weeks ago, so I recommend you give it a read  :tup