Author Topic: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023  (Read 19527 times)

Offline HOF

Re: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2023, 07:32:43 AM »
New song/video. Really like this one.

https://youtu.be/RyW0iMu-_lU?si=sxfoGbSBkcwj4JYB

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2023, 08:03:09 AM »
I liked the new single! 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2023, 07:46:40 PM »
This track is awesome!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2023, 08:16:54 AM »
Anyone here wants to co-host an interview with Ross regarding the upcoming album?

You guys have questions for Ross, I have an interview with him in about 6 hours.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2023, 08:18:13 AM »
Are there any plans for another solo album? I really enjoyed his debut.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2023, 09:22:50 AM »
Anyone here wants to co-host an interview with Ross regarding the upcoming album?

You guys have questions for Ross, I have an interview with him in about 6 hours.

Are they (Haken) planning to record a live album for next year's tour? What about Restoration pt. 2?
Plans for a new Novena album?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2023, 04:53:48 PM »
Well what an unexpected surprise - Radiant has sent me a shipping number for my copy of Sophomore, so it looks like they're getting ready to ship the CDs out soon. I'll be super excited if I get it a week early/by this weekend!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2023, 04:48:09 AM »
I've seen people posting on FB that they have received their orders

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2023, 05:56:48 AM »
I got my shipping email from Radiant yesterday while at work.

Honestly, while their pre-order process and server capacity is an issue, I've generally had a good experience with getting the orders early. I can only think of once where they were really delayed. Every other time I get it like a week early minimum.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2023, 10:03:11 PM »
Even though I got my CD in the mail a few days ago, I am finally giving the new album a spin and I'm really loving it so far. It feels more diverse and adventurous than the first, but still keeping in the same styles and spirit of the first album. The guys really flex their musical muscles here in terms of good songwriting with lots of great melodies and catchy choruses. It'll definitely take repeated listens to really dig into but it's leaving me with really positive first impressions!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2023, 05:51:45 AM »
It is a very good album. Normally this style bores me about half-way through, but the guys got enough variety and energy in here to keep it popping. I guess my overall impression is that this album is more melancholy than the previous, but I'm not convinced that is accurate at all

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2023, 08:37:09 AM »
Almost halfway through my first listen of the new album.  Really, really good so far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2023, 01:05:28 PM »
I’m not done yet, but this is outstanding.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2023, 06:26:30 PM »
Only one listen-through so far, but this might be better than the first album.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2023, 06:41:29 PM »
The guys playing The Weary One live at Neal's when they got together earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxE56DaKZQo
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2023, 04:30:48 AM »
Only one listen-through so far, but this might be better than the first album.

Oh snap!  Gotta play that sometime today then.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2023, 10:05:14 AM »
It is really really good. I think what helps is it is a little more full band than the debut. A little more electric guitar, bass, and keys, and a lot more NDV drumming (there's an amazing little atmospheric bit at the end of "Weighs Me Down" where the drums come in and it's just magic).

Something I've been thinking for a while (and maybe even said here before), but this album reinforces it, with regard to how I feel about Neal's music since he split from Spock's Beard, I've decided:

Neal Morse with NDV > Neal Morse with MP

I think there is just a different vibe when Neal and Nick are together that doesn't show up so much in the more proggy, frenetic stuff he's done with MP. There are certainly amazing moments with Mike in TA and FC and here and there in Neal's solo career, but I think he's a bit more song writing focused when he plays with Nick.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2023, 02:39:55 PM »
I'll check this out based on the positive response.I seemed to like the debut less and less with each listen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2023, 03:38:51 PM »
Su h a great CSN vibe. I love it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2023, 12:32:45 PM »
Don’t know if it was intentional or not, but “Walking on Water” has a strong resemblance to Yes’s “Yours is No Disgrace” (and maybe a little bit of “Roundabout”). Really like that one though.

Offline Kram

« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2023, 02:00:26 PM »
Enjoying this quite a bit.  Very good followup to the debut album.  It sounds like the guys want to possibly do some shows (NDV mentioned this in an interview) and probably another album after that.  Good stuff!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2023, 06:04:41 AM »
The new album is just as pleasant of a listen as the debut was. It's music to play in the background and relax to, with catchy melodies occasionally kicking in. The singles are actually the highlights in my opinion, Tiny little fires and Anywhere the wind blows in particular.

Another clear standout is Mama, which not only introduces some elements of rock, but it reminds me of something Nick would write for Spock's Beard during the Octane era. It's also a cool track for three guys to sing, they sound like kids singing about their mom.  ;D

Neither the debut nor the new one would make my top ten lists of their respective years, but still, this will be a cool project to follow should they decide to continue. Also, I really wouldn't mind seeing these guys in concert.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2023, 06:43:36 AM »
Also, I really wouldn't mind seeing these guys in concert.

I second that.
Very nice album, just like the first one.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline HOF

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2024, 07:40:56 PM »
I actually finally picked this up last week. Did not really enjoy it other than 3-4 songs. Definitely liked the first one more which isn't saying much.

Not sure if I just burned out on Neal or if my tastes have changed, but I haven't loved anything he's put out or been involved with since the Great Adventure.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2024, 10:02:58 PM »
I was there for the DMJ performance tonight at Casey’s benefit concert, and it was very, very cool. It was a small, but at max capacity, room - maybe 50 to 100 people. The guys sounded just as good live as they do on the album, if not better due to the live energy. It was actually shocking how well their vocals blended in-person. Rich Mouser was up front mixing and it showed.

They did Everything I Am, Linger at the Edge of My Memory, and Julia - one of each of the members’ songs (Neal, Nick and Ross respectively). Ross actually mentioned tonight that Julia is a fictional story about a father and daughter, which makes sense as I’d always thought a romantic relationship (my default assumption) didn’t entirely fit with the lyrics.

There were other performances by Casey, Steve Morse, Neal+MP, which were all awesome, but without a doubt DMJ was the standout part of the evening. It was killer - maybe my favorite show of the cruise so far, despite it just being three songs.  :D

Offline HOF

« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2024, 10:14:58 PM »
I was there for the DMJ performance tonight at Casey’s benefit concert, and it was very, very cool. It was a small, but at max capacity, room - maybe 50 to 100 people. The guys sounded just as good live as they do on the album, if not better due to the live energy. It was actually shocking how well their vocals blended in-person. Rich Mouser was up front mixing and it showed.

They did Everything I Am, Linger at the Edge of My Memory, and Julia - one of each of the members’ songs (Neal, Nick and Ross respectively). Ross actually mentioned tonight that Julia is a fictional story about a father and daughter, which makes sense as I’d always thought a romantic relationship (my default assumption) didn’t entirely fit with the lyrics.

There were other performances by Casey, Steve Morse, Neal+MP, which were all awesome, but without a doubt DMJ was the standout part of the evening. It was killer - maybe my favorite show of the cruise so far, despite it just being three songs.  :D

Very cool! Glad they got to play together, and glad you got to see it!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2024, 09:14:01 AM »

WOW, glad to hear!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2024, 07:00:11 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2024, 07:40:18 PM »
Here's a short video I took!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDjOchR5TE

Awesome!  Guess that's all there's likely to be live.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2024, 09:43:38 PM »
I think they've expressed interest in trying to figure out timing and logistics for a tour. If nothing else, they'll likely all continue to be on CttE with their respective bands and have opportunities for stuff like this.
Photobucket sucks.