Author Topic: "Glass Prison" V2.0: What would you like to hear them play?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"Glass Prison" V2.0: What would you like to hear them play?
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:11 AM »
So, Glass Prison is essentially a goner now, and our singer joined a new band (top 40 stuff). But, we've been talking what we should do once I get back to Boston, and we're all excited about doing a "modern prog" cover band. That should make it easier for us to get gigs, and we're all psyched about playing other stuff than just DT. The bands that've been thrown around are

DT (duh)
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Symphony X
Pain of Salvation
LTE
Rush

Well, what bands + songs would you want to hear if you went to a gig of ours? BTW, we will probably stay away from classic prog, since there's already a band in Boston that does that ("Your Move"). No need for turf way.

Let's hear it!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: "Glass Prison" V2.0: What would you like to hear them play?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:53 AM »
DT: Keep Learning to Live and The Glass Prison. Add something like OTBoA, BiTS or Outcry to capitalize on the newer fans.

PT: Arriving..., Trains (yes, a waste of y'all's collective talent but something that may convert any top 40 vanilloids that end up un your audience by accident), Radioactive Toy, Time Flies

Opeth: (Let me know if you're open to songs with death metal vox but for now I'm not recommending those since it seems that because of all the other bands not having that vocal style you'd only be open to songs without it since any singer you bring in for covering the other bands would likely not be a growler) Face of Melinda, Patterns in the Ivy I & II, anything from Damnation, Hours of Wealth, Burden

Symphony X: Edge of Forever, Of Sins and Shadows, Church of the Machine, The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Pain of Salvation: Reconciliation, Inside (Out), Rope Ends, Nightmist, The Perfect Element

LTE: Acid Rain, Universal Mind, Paradigm Shift, When the Water Breaks

Rush: Hemispheres, Natural Science, Xanadu, Freewill

By all means try out a Spiral Architect song like Insect.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:28:54 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:02:14 AM »
Frost*: Milliontown, Welcome to Nowhere
Haken: Streams
Karmakanic: Who's the boss in the factory, 1969, Turn it up, Alex in Paradise

Probably a lot more but I those are fine  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:00:21 AM »
ew pain of salvation

DT - pretty much anything you've played before
PT - Anesthetize :D
Opeth - Closure, To Rid the Disease, Face of Melinda, Baying of the Hounds, etc
Symphony X - Edge of Forever :metal, Smoke & Mirrors, Communion and the Oracle
LTE - most of the standards work
Rush - ALL OF IT (except Rivendell for fuck's sake)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:40 AM »
You should do some Frost*

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »
PT: Arriving..., Trains (yes, a waste of y'all's collective talent but something that may convert any top 40 vanilloids that end up un your audience by accident), Radioactive Toy, Time Flies

I don't see how playing a simpler song that you enjoy is a "waste of collective talent" :P

DT: The Glass Prison (obviously), Under a Glass Moon, maybe throw in an oddball that fans wouldn't expect like Misunderstood, Innocence Faded, A Fortune in Lies, etc.
Opeth: Face of Melinda, The Devil's Orchard, A Fair Judgment.  The Drapery Falls if you can get death growls in there.
Frost*: Dear Dead Days
LTE: Acid Rain, Biaxident, Universal Mind
Rush: Natural Science, Freewill, Limelight, Distant Early Warning, The Fear Trilogy
Symphony X: lol
Coheed and Cambria: 2113, Fuel for the Feeding End, The Light and the Glass, The Final Cut (can be used for ridiculous solos)
The Mars Volta: Goliath, Viscera Eyes, L'Via L'Viaquez
Marillion: Interior Lulu, Season's End, This is the 21st Century
Muse: Resistance, Stockholm Syndrome, Citizen Erased, Butterflies and Hurricanes

Like, a set that looked that this could be pretty cool:
The Glass Prison
The Devil's Orchard
Limelight
L'Via L'Viaquez
Season's End
Butterflies and Hurricanes
A Fortune in Lies
Dear Dead Days
Universal Mind
The Final Cut

Of course I don't know how long you play for or anything but that looks cool on paper. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
I'd love to hear some Pineapple Thief and Karmakanic.  You know I'll check you guys out when you do play Rumbo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
Any of Arjen's projects.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »

I don't see how playing a simpler song that you enjoy is a "waste of collective talent" :P

Not my opinion specifically but rather an acknowledgment of how some of the guys in his band could possibly feel since they all got together to do DT covers so I wasn't sure how stoked they'd be to play a song that has nothing difficult to it. A song like Arriving... at least has the ace up its sleeve of being an epic which can get many virtuoso types to drop their guard about the lack of "holy shit!" technical prowess.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jsem

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
Gentle Giant - Just the Same