Author Topic: Seventh Wonder Appreciation  (Read 34189 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seventh Wonder Appreciation
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2018, 11:36:58 PM »
:lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
 :lol album really is fantastic.  Tommy shines so much on it.  But I do feel like vocals and bass are really buried in the mix which is sad since those are two of the best instruments of SW.  Regardless, it doesn't really hold the songs back, they are great.  I'm still digesting as I've been listening to a lot of other music at the moment as well, but this is up for there album of the year for sure.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:41 AM »
My SW t-shirt and a copy of Tiara just arrived. Gonna be sporting the T-shirt at work tomorrow. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Interview with Seventh Wonder.... in Swedish. However, at the end they play Tiara's Song acoustic, lovely!

https://www.radioplay.se/rockklassiker/intervjuer?episode-id=38605 Starts at 10:17.

And yes, it is a great album!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Awesome album, SW through and through. Tommy’s vocals are still essentially unparalleled, and the musicianship is as fantastic as it was on TGE. I just hope that the next album won’t take quite as long to release!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 26, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
Awesome album, SW through and through. Tommy’s vocals are still essentially unparalleled, and the musicianship is as fantastic as it was on TGE. I just hope that the next album won’t take quite as long to release!

Same.  Looks like they got some chart success too from the album.  I hope that Tommy's time in Kamelot has brought more fans to SW which will in turn motivate the band to be more active.  Tiara destroys the last two Kamelot albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2018, 01:35:59 AM »
So while this doesn't reach the heights of TGE for me - something there is no shame in; very few albums do - it is a great album still.

I really like how "personal" it is, not in the sense of personal to the members of the band, but more like in how it relates the events of the end of the world so strongly to seemingly mundane points in life. Case in point: Beyond Today (which is fantastic holy shit  :hefdaddy ), which frames the end of the world against stuff like graduating from school. I think this helps the whole story feel a lot more grounded, which I like.

Musically, I felt that the bass was doing more cool stuff on MF and TGE, which was the only thing I missed. The melodies and overall compositions are still sublime.

Now if the next album comes out before 2028 I'll be a happy camper. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
With a few more listens now under my belt, I can comfortably say that the Farewell trilogy is the high point of the album. All three songs are just perfect.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:42:08 AM by Scorpion »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
Probably going to be album of the year for me.  I'm still digesting but there isn't a bad track here and agreed, the Farewell trilogy is fantastic.  Tommy's voice just brings a tear to my eye at some points on this album, he's so good and I'm so annoyed he isn't louder, but I won't let that hold back my enjoyment of these songs.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
Yeah, it is a stellar album. Not sure which track I love the most as of yet. I still really don't enjoy the mix though. I have relatively high tolerance for bad sounding albums, but for some reason this one bothers me quite a bit. Probably because the elements I love the most about this band are placed akwardly in the mix (rather than the elements themselves sounding bad, if that makes sense). I can hear them just fine, but it sounds very off to me.

The Japanese version also has an acoustic studio version of Tiara btw (it is on youtube).

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2018, 04:51:10 AM »
I keep seeing this thread title and think it's about the 1980s Patsy Kensit fronted one-hit wonders, and then I remember that they were called Eighth Wonder.

[img]https://img.discogs.com/Sxfo-jwnnMsXfgExkq3ftFTsyrk=/fit-in/439x463/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-385279-1210795649.jpeg.jpg[img/]
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »
I keep seeing this thread title and think it's about the 1980s Patsy Kensit fronted one-hit wonders, and then I remember that they were called Eighth Wonder.

Fix'd
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2018, 05:18:47 AM »
I took the plunge today and picked up Tiara. I like what I've heard so far; sounds right up my street. I'll look forward to spinning it later.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »
Oh, cheers jingle boy - I didn't even notice that hadn't worked!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Just listening to this album for the first time now, and the first song was cool, but 4 songs in and I've tuned out.  Heard it all before and all just blurs together for me.  Pass.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2018, 04:09:18 AM »
Just listening to this album for the first time now, and the first song was cool, but 4 songs in and I've tuned out.  Heard it all before and all just blurs together for me.  Pass.

Exactly the same! coming from a big fan of TGE. Pass.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2018, 04:30:20 AM »

I'm a very casual fan of SW anyway.  I own both TGE and MF and both are decent but they never really blew me away.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2018, 05:24:06 AM »

Me too. Been a huge Kamelot fan for like 17 years now. Tommy's work there inspired me to check out his band. Music is decent.... but nothing that stands out in my opinion, well, other than Tommy of course! 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2018, 06:01:41 AM »
Y'all are crazy. :P True, this is not as good as TGE, but there are plenty of memorable melodies throughout that I find stuck in my head quite often. Especially the Farewell trilogy is stunning.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
Y'all are crazy. :P True, this is not as good as TGE, but there are plenty of memorable melodies throughout that I find stuck in my head quite often. Especially the Farewell trilogy is stunning.

Yea true.  I'd say the downfall is that maybe it sounds too much like TGE, but TGE is great and it feels more like a continuation of where they left off.  There's also tons of memorable melodies so I guess it's just different tastes then.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #265 on: November 23, 2018, 01:00:37 AM »
Tiara may very well be my album of the year.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #266 on: November 23, 2018, 06:38:09 AM »
My main takeaway from the album so far....they certainly like E flat minor...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »
Still enjoying this album...

It has that nice good power metal sound. And also awesome vocals, atmosphere, vibe. Just overall sound. Everything is mixed nice.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
I think the mix could use some work with the guitar and vocals, but amtosphere is great and love Tommys voice.  Funeral Pyres is practically a power metal song  :metal I love it

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #269 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
Listened again last night. I particularly enjoy the Farewell trilogy. For the first time yesterday, I noticed that the solo violin at the end of Beyond Today takes the chorus melody of Tiara's Song, and Procession reprises a theme from The Truth.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2019, 06:18:02 PM »
They played their first show in awhile

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/seventh-wonder/2019/stena-line-cruise-ship-oslo-norway-1395f929.html

I guess that gives a taste of what we will get at ProgPower later this year.  They are a headliner so I expect double the songs, but I'd imagine all those will be played as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
Saw them live last weekend, was a fun show!

Setlist:

The Everones
Welcome to Mercy Falls
Alley Cat
Banish the Wicked
Tiara's Song (Farewell, Pt. 1)
Tears for a Father
Hide and Seek
The Great Escape (shortened version to what I feel was 10-15 min?)
Bass solo
Taint the Sky
Inner Enemy
Exhale

Overall great performance. Mercy Falls tracks where the best, I think the band just has more routine in regards to those songs. My highlights were Welcome to Mercy Falls, Inner Enemy, Alley Cat, and The Great Escape (nice surprise as they didn't play that one most shows before it). Those more focused "poppy" song work really well live. For some reason the sound was wonky in some songs, but not others? Especially Exhale unfortunately sounded off. And I do mean sound, not performance. The volume levels of Tommy in particular where all over the place and the people I was with said the same. Tommy did struggle during some parts in the newer songs (Tiara was a bit off). That said, he and the rest of the band gave a great show and I do recommend catching these guys live if you ever have the chance! They are great entertainers and all band members have their moments.

If they record a show again during that Prog festival, I wouldn't mind a setlist like this at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 24, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
Oh that's pretty cool they are doing a shorter version of The Great Escape. 

I'm guessing this is the same set they will play at Progpower or similar, they will have a full headline slot so no reason to cut anything down and they aren't a band that's really full time at it so I wouldn't expect them to start learning other songs to swap in/out although I'd love to see more songs added of course.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »
From their facebook
Here's a little (edited) update from Andreas regarding the remaining shows:
"A few days ago we had the first full rehearsal for our headlining setlist for the upcoming festivals.
We are really not used to playing that long sets 😄.....
Anyway, I am happy with the setlist, probably the most happy I've been. Some fun things in there, something old something new, something borrowed something blue.

Can't wait to see y'all in Gothenburg, Norway and Atlanta, USA!"

It makes me excited that they are extending their setlist for Progpower, I hope they play By The Light of the Funeral Pyres since that's like SW doing power metal.  It would be so awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: August 09, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
From their facebook
Here's a little (edited) update from Andreas regarding the remaining shows:
"A few days ago we had the first full rehearsal for our headlining setlist for the upcoming festivals.
We are really not used to playing that long sets 😄.....
Anyway, I am happy with the setlist, probably the most happy I've been. Some fun things in there, something old something new, something borrowed something blue.

Can't wait to see y'all in Gothenburg, Norway and Atlanta, USA!"

It makes me excited that they are extending their setlist for Progpower, I hope they play By The Light of the Funeral Pyres since that's like SW doing power metal.  It would be so awesome.

Oh, damn right.  By the Light of the Funeral Pyres would absolutely slay Live.  I'd also lose my shit if they do The Great Escape!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
Saw them live last weekend, was a fun show!

Setlist:

The Everones
Welcome to Mercy Falls
Alley Cat
Banish the Wicked
Tiara's Song (Farewell, Pt. 1)
Tears for a Father
Hide and Seek
The Great Escape (shortened version to what I feel was 10-15 min?)
Bass solo
Taint the Sky
Inner Enemy
Exhale

Overall great performance. Mercy Falls tracks where the best, I think the band just has more routine in regards to those songs. My highlights were Welcome to Mercy Falls, Inner Enemy, Alley Cat, and The Great Escape (nice surprise as they didn't play that one most shows before it). Those more focused "poppy" song work really well live. For some reason the sound was wonky in some songs, but not others? Especially Exhale unfortunately sounded off. And I do mean sound, not performance. The volume levels of Tommy in particular where all over the place and the people I was with said the same. Tommy did struggle during some parts in the newer songs (Tiara was a bit off). That said, he and the rest of the band gave a great show and I do recommend catching these guys live if you ever have the chance! They are great entertainers and all band members have their moments.

If they record a show again during that Prog festival, I wouldn't mind a setlist like this at all.

Got a similar setlist to this last night, and also here's that shortened version of the Great Escape.  Tommy sounded sooooooo good, everything I hoped for from his performance.  Got to meet the band as well and they signed my Welcome to Atlanta DVD  :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
I hope the crowd sang Tiara loud. Man, I wanted to see them just for that song.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2022, 01:06:08 PM »
Glad to bump this thread. 

June 10th

Offline 425

« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2022, 10:47:21 PM »
Great news. Tiara was awesome, and it’ll be great to get a follow-up on a much shorter timetable. I would never have predicted in 2019 that this would be the next Tommy-Karevik-fronted band to release a studio album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2022, 01:52:54 AM »
I love everything they've done so I believe this is gonna be a banger as well :metal
How about a tour? Missed it last time even though they came pretty close to me.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...