Author Topic: Seventh Wonder Appreciation  (Read 34196 times)

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Seventh Wonder Appreciation
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
Yeah, the lyrics can be kind of cheesy, but the story of Mercy Falls, to me, is really great and the lyrics really aren't that bad. The doctor's acting though,  :\

I don't know if I'd describe it like that. It's not that the lyrics are "cheesy", but they are overly literal, perhaps to a fault. Further, the spoken dialogue portions dealing with heavy topics in Mercy Falls are delivered with the emotional depth of a kiddie pool, almost no variation or inflection in their voices, making it come off very robotic. I had a hard time getting past that, but the music, my god, the music is SOOOO awesome, it's easy to get an acquired taste for. I couldn't stop listening to Mercy Falls and I still give it regular spins. Only discovered these guys a few months ago, but I'm very pleased with what they are doing.

Good to hear there is another album in the works.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 06:35:48 AM »
Further, the spoken dialogue portions dealing with heavy topics in Mercy Falls are delivered with the emotional depth of a kiddie pool,

:lol  So true.  The wife and Doctor's lines are painful to listen to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
Update from Andreas Blomqvist:

Hey y'all!

Yesterday was a great rehearsal and not only cuz we finished a new track and were off to a flying start on yet another one, but also because it was the first time Tommy was back in the studio for a while.

It was a great, creative and positive atmosphere as we finished a track by me, started one by Kyrt and Stefan played us a demo of some exciting stuff he was working on. With the addition of these three tracks (although only one is really completed, but still) we are really making good progress with the new album and we have amassed a lot of great new material.

You know, it is a funny ride, to be part of the making of a Seventh Wonder album because you never really know where it'll take you. I hear lots of familiar stuff, but also I hear us exploring some previously uncharted territories, mostly in terms of moods and feels -which is something I think is a great thing. I personally feel that on the track Great Escape we allowed ourselves to strecth our legs, figurativey speaking, and try some new extremes in various directions and I believe there will be more of that on this new release.

We have to take care and not to rush things. We owe it to Stefan, and we owe it to Tommy -but most of all we owe it to you out there. I know it has been a long wait and I know we still have a aways to go but I really believe it will make for a better album in the end.

If you have some thoughts or ideas on what you would like to hear more of on this next album, now is the time to speak. We always stay true to our hearts and do what we feel like but it is sometimes great with a little outside spark to set something off -so please, fire away.

Thank you all for sticking with us. I hope we can try to take on the new year with great enthusiasm going forward and keep on this cool ride together.

Cheers!

//AB

I will try to avoid having too high expectations, but this could end up being my most anticipated album so far.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:17:18 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
Tommy is going to be very busy.  Cant wait for this album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
Already, 2013 is shaping up nicely.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
More like TGE's title track?!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I much prefer all the other "short" tracks to the title track on TGE. It has some good idea's, but it doesn't seem to flow very well for me. Songs like Alley Cat and King of Whitewater with the monster hooks and melodies are what I like.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »
I agree. I still very much like TGE but i like the different parts more so than the whole, I think its a great song, but the other tracks are better whole songs IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:56 AM »
Just like any 20+ minute song, there are going to be ups and downs... sometimes intentional.  To each their own.  Sometimes you want a 7 course meal, sometimes you just want a footlong sub, sometimes you just want a pizza pocket.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »
 :drool:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
I agree. I still very much like TGE but i like the different parts more so than the whole, I think its a great song, but the other tracks are better whole songs IMO.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I much prefer all the other "short" tracks to the title track on TGE. It has some good idea's, but it doesn't seem to flow very well for me. Songs like Alley Cat and King of Whitewater with the monster hooks and melodies are what I like.

I agree with both of you guys. The Great Escape (track) is awesome, but I very rarely find myself wanting to sit down and listen to it on its own. Instead, most of the times I only listen to Mercy Falls and the shorter songs before it. Either way though, it's a great song and anything close to that quality on the next album would be awesome. Personally, I'm hoping they experiment a bit more with their heavier side, while sticking with the ridiculously catchy hooks and  :o vocal moments.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
LOL TGE's title track has more plays than any other SW song for me. Y'all crazy.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:21 AM »
Personally The Great Escape isn't only Seventh Wonder's best song, but one of my favourites in general. I think it flows perfectly well as a whole. Obviously I'm not always going to be in the mood to listen to a really long song, but I still find myself listening to TGE more often than other long songs that I think are great like Octavarium - it doesn't feel like such a big commitment to put on TGE even though it's longer than most other epics.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
I think Seventh Wonder is about due for another album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
Check their FB page. I do believe they're writing it.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »
The band just posted a Q&A video and showed three short teasers of new material at the end of the video. Sounds great so far, a tad bit more symphonic than before, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlATFnBRrCY
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
Just saw that on FaceBook, really exciting stuff. Can't wait to see them live next year, and I can't wait to hear what they put together for the next album!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
This makes Shadow Ninja happy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »
I think its pretty sweet that they are making a new album while Tommy is touring with Kamelot and giving Seventh Wonder some exposure.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:25 AM »
From their FB feed this morning.

Here's a little update from Andreas:
"Wrapped up a new song in the studio. It is pretty short for being us, and it is gonna be interesting to see how it all ends up sounding in the end. Probably we will have finished yet another one by next week. Things are moving along nicely again."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2014, 08:41:12 AM »
Sounds good.  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
Quote from: Andreas Blomqvist
"Hi Everybody!

AndreasB here checking in from the studio. Maybe you saw Stefan setting up the drums a couple of days ago, so I thought I'd drop a little longer report to let you al in on what's going on.

As you know this year will finally see the recording of a Seventh Wonder DVD, something people have been on us about for *years*.
We are thrilled to be able to bring you this, but in order to do it well, it will inevitably push back the album a little bit further. However, we decided we can't let you guys be without new music very much longer so here's the deal;
the studio is now set up for real and we started today to record new music!
The plan is also to very soon, during the spring, record and hopefully release a brand new video and release one or two tracks that we will record right now.

We hope that you will follow the progress here on Facebook as we see new material come to life and watch Stefan Norgren lay down his first proper recording behind the SW kit.

Today we were off to a flying start - but I'll let Stefan share his experience with you from his perspetive...

Thanks for tuning in and sticking by us. I believe the new tracks will be smoking and you can bet we will bring the new songs to the stage as soon as we can!

So - Bring it on!!!"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
I was actually going to bump this thread to ask:

What are some more songs like Alley Cat, Not an Angel and Waiting in the Wings? I know the band is known for having extremely catchy stuff, but these three songs have been the only ones that have had any lasting power.  What other songs have that "single" vibe to them?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2014, 06:27:10 PM »
Have you heard Mercy Falls? The song Welcome To Mercy Falls is quite catchy.

Or did you mean songs by other bands like that?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
I was actually going to bump this thread to ask:

What are some more songs like Alley Cat, Not an Angel and Waiting in the Wings? I know the band is known for having extremely catchy stuff, but these three songs have been the only ones that have had any lasting power.  What other songs have that "single" vibe to them?
Well they only have 3 albums that are that worth listening to imo (listen to their first album without Tommy if you're a diehard, although personally even I don't listen to it...), so if you have already tried listening to an album and only those stuck with you then it just may be that you'll only get into those few songs (and I say this as a massive Seventh Wonder fan). If not, then as I said there are only 3 albums and two of the three you've picked are from Waiting In The Wings, which is their shortest album and has a lot of other songs that have really catchy melodies imo (Taint The Sky, Edge Of My Blade and Banish The Wicked strike me as having especially catchy melodies, particularly the choruses), so it may be a good idea just to try and give that one a listen, give the songs a few chances and see if anything sticks.

Alternatively, the one song that always comes to mind for most catchy and one of their best is Hide And Seek - catchy chorus, catchy but relatively heavy riff, and great overall song. Move On Through from TGE (same album as Alley Cat) also is really catchy and really has a "single" vibe to it (more poppy than Alley Cat even, perhaps). But those are just my preferences - people have a different idea of what's catchy so don't write them off if you don't agree with my selections!

(Edit: I would also second "Welcome To Mercy Falls" as an awesome but catchy and "single" type song. That, Hide And Seek and Unbreakable from Mercy Falls).

And in general -  still absoutely can't wait for this album, very glad to be seeing news that things are on track  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2014, 07:48:47 PM »
The songs you mentioned from Mercy Falls weren't bad, but for the life of me I just can't get into that album. It goes beyond the horrible voice acting.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
The voice acting is particularly horrific. The worst is on One Last Goodbye, probably the most beautiful song on the album, and then THAT FREAKING DOCTOR STARTS TALKING AND SCREWS IT ALL UP

Dadgum I hate that. Album's good anyway, but...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2014, 06:14:39 AM »
Looks like that new track that was getting a little bit of discussion a few months back is about to be released (within the next couple weeks). From Facebook:

Hello, everybody!

I have some wonderful news for you all:
the guys sent me some stuff to share with you, and it's with great pleasure and excitement that I can announce that new Seventh Wonder music is coming your way..... really soon  !

Below you can read a message for you all (in which you'll get a good idea of things to come), accompanied by a new bandpicture!

//Arjan

Here's the message:
"Seventh Wonder fans, we know you have been running on empty for far too long, so it is with great pleasure we finally can release some news. We have recorded a brand new music video for the recently recorded new song entitled “Inner Enemy”.
The track has been recorded in Studio Wonderland and mixed by Øyvind Voldmo Larsen of Withem. Stay tuned as we will release some behind the scene footage during the upcoming week, and the video itself will be launched shortly thereafter.

It has been four years since the video for 'Alley Cat' was shot so it feels great to finally have a new video and a new song for you people out there. We hope this will satisfy the most immediate needs and keep you alive up to the live recording of Mercy Falls. We also have some more news coming later this fall and obviously exciting plans for the next album.

In the meantime here is a first little “Hello, we are alive and well” from me and the boys and we can’t wait to show you the video and play you some new stuff!

Cheers, Andreas B.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:10 AM »
Awesome news!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2014, 06:43:58 AM »
Let's not leave out the photo:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
The Inner Enemy Inside

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
That was my first thought as well. Some sort of cover...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
holy crap yes

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
GET UP BECAUSE HEY THIS IS THE NIGHT