Author Topic: Seventh Wonder Appreciation  (Read 34197 times)

Offline Liampie

Re: Seventh Wonder Appreciation
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2015, 06:44:17 PM »
I dunno, that was my problem with Mercy Falls, I thought the vocal melodies were too all over the place and too random. After a few listens when I've got accustomed to those soaring passages Tommy rolls, I was completely sold on this band.

Hey, maybe that'll happen to me too. I'll give The Great Escape another couple of spins and then listen to Mercy Falls. I won't give up  :metal

I can confirm that Seventh Wonder's extreme melodicness may be exhausting at first... But I've come to love almost every single song, after I got to know them. To me it appears knowing the songs is the key to loving them. the Great Escape is now my #1 favourite song actually. How are things for you know?

Offline tuto

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2015, 10:29:37 PM »
Break The Silence has got to be the greatest fucking song this band has ever recorded. That middle instrumental part is insane, I still can't get it right on guitar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2015, 03:44:09 AM »
The title track of the Great Escape was the first song that hooked me and one of my favourite epics (was not blown away at first, but did hear some stuff that kept me coming back). And yeah, I did not like Mercy Falls at all the first few times. But for some reason I kept revisiting some songs and then it clicked massively.

I know there are some generic prog elements (I call them well used genre trademarks in this case  :P) there, but as a whole I am not aware of a band that sounds like this (only that related band Withem, which does have some really similar parts).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »
Break The Silence has got to be the greatest fucking song this band has ever recorded. That middle instrumental part is insane, I still can't get it right on guitar

My fav by them

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »
Yeah, The Great Escape title track is pretty much unbeatable for me but Break The Silence was always my favourite one apart from that, and the instrumental in particular. These days I struggle to decide between this and Hide And Seek as my favourite behind TGE, which means the one-two punch of those songs is certainly pretty great :lol:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
Huh.

Frontiers Music srl is excited to announce the signing of Swedish progressive metal masters Seventh Wonder for a multi album deal!

Originally formed in Stockholm in 2000, the band debuted in 2005 with “Become”. The second album, “Waiting in the Wings” - and first to feature Tommy Karevik on vocals - followed in 2006. Two more successful records, the concept album “Mercy Falls”, and “The Great Escape”, followed before the band went on hiatus following singer Tommy Karevik being chosen to take Roy Kahn’s place in KAMELOT.

Seventh Wonder is now ready to start again and has plans to return with a live recording and a brand new album to kick things off.
Bass player Andreas Blomqvist states: “It has been too quiet in the Seventh Wonder camp for far too long – and FINALLY that is about to change! Many years have passed since we last put out a record but, finally the band is a fully functioning unit again, ready to create some great new music. As we were getting ready to get back on track we also needed somebody to partner with. Somebody who shared our vision for the band and saw our potential and was willing to commit to the band. We have found that somebody in Frontiers! We are thrilled to be on board with such a famous label with many of our favourite bands on their roster. You, the fans, have been more patient than anyone could ever deserve. We are equally proud and humbled by that and we promise to do our best, together with our new friends at Frontiers, to make up for the years of silence by going full speed ahead. And you know what? The new album is sounding great!”
Fans first taste of new music will see the light of day in the fall, with the new album expected to be released in the first half of 2017.

Didn't expect it to be Frontiers, but hey, at least I will likely get the promo ahead of the release date.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
Sooo what about Inner Enemy? The single released like 2 years ago  :lol

Good news though, I'd love to see more Seventh Wonder

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »
I'm kinda shocked, I honestly didn't think they'd ever release another album.

I mean I guess it's not a sure thing until we actually have the album, but still, this is great news. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
Since it's a multi-album deal, I wonder how Tommy will pull this off since Kamelot has kept him pretty busy.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Sooo what about Inner Enemy? The single released like 2 years ago  :lol

Good news though, I'd love to see more Seventh Wonder

Right! I've been waiting for them to drop that album for 2 years now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
From their FB page

I now have, on my computer, the masters for the live show!
Sounds and looks amazing!
Oh, and you know what? We managed to sneak in a new studio song too. It might be just happen to be the sequel to another song we released on its own.... And it might happen to be close to 10 minutes of prog-delight...
..and those two songs might together tell the story of things to come.....
Getting ready to release all of the baove and in not too long we hit the studio -get ready for much more in the future to come!
//AndreasB

:metal :metal :metal I guess those are references to Inner Enemy

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Atlanta-Live-Deluxe-Combo/dp/B01HSFG742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469133458&sr=8-1&keywords=seventh+wonder+dvd

Live DVD from 2014 comes out September and from FB they said their new album will be early next year!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2016, 07:20:23 AM »
Really disappointed they didn't make a blu ray, like what's the point of making a concert video and not have it on blu ray?  Regardless, I will buy.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »
Not interested in the DVD, but I'm really looking forward to the new album. Been a long wait.  :metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2016, 07:27:38 AM »
Really disappointed they didn't make a blu ray, like what's the point of making a concert video and not have it on blu ray?  Regardless, I will buy.

I'd like more bluray too but I'm always concerned about obsolescence in BluRay.  Probably not a real worry since DVD has stuck around this long now.. but I always feel like if I buy the BluRay one day I won't be able to play it where I feel that is LESS likely with DVD.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2016, 07:35:58 AM »

I'd like more bluray too but I'm always concerned about obsolescence in BluRay.  Probably not a real worry since DVD has stuck around this long now.. but I always feel like if I buy the BluRay one day I won't be able to play it where I feel that is LESS likely with DVD.

I would say they are about the same.  Physical media is slowly on it's way out overall, but blu ray at least has the capacity for better quality so it could last a bit longer, but DVD has more accessibility since it's more available to everyone. 

Concerts on blu-ray are just awesome though.  Better sound and video, it's really perfect for concerts.  Dream Theater's Live at Budokan is much better on blu ray for example.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
Concerts on blu-ray are just awesome though.  Better sound and video, it's really perfect for concerts.  Dream Theater's Live at Budokan is much better on blu ray for example.

Are you sure about LAB. I remember reading that it was just a straight up DVD transfer.  I think even someone in the DT camp confirmed nothing was done to it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »

Are you sure about LAB. I remember reading that it was just a straight up DVD transfer.  I think even someone in the DT camp confirmed nothing was done to it.

My eyes say it looks significantly better.  It wasn't mixed or edited any different.  Like most videos shot around that time, they were shot in HD but downgraded the quality for DVD, so the blu-ray is just the same footage but without that downgrade in quality (the darks are less grainy for example).  Not sure the audio is any different though for that blu-ray, likely not since I do agree, I don't think anything was redone for the blu-ray.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2016, 06:45:44 AM »
Mercy Falls from the new live release;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYm1119HSTU

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2016, 06:48:52 AM »
 :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:28 AM »
Sounds okay, production doesn't seem as pristine as I would like, but I've got it pretty low.  Sounds nice and live though, which is good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2016, 07:12:48 AM »
.... and pre-ordered  :metal

Offline tuto

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2016, 06:21:59 PM »
After much thought and consideration, I've come up with a top 10 SW tracks. This is by far the hardest top I have done, since I basically love all of their songs, but here it is:

---Special Mentions first----
Inner Enemy
Walking Tall
One Last Goodbye
King of Whitewater
Welcome to Mercy Falls
--------
10)Fall In Line
9)Paradise
8)There And Back
7)Alley Cat
6)Taint The Sky
5) A Day Away
4)Hide and Seek
3)Unbreakable
2)The Great Escape
1)Break The Silence

I know most of them are Mercy Falls tracks but man, nothing can beat that album, really.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »
1. The Great Escape
2. Break the Silence
3. Fall in Line
4. The Angelmaker
5. Waiting in the Wings
6. The Edge of My Blade
7. King of Whitewater
8. The Black Parade
9. Alley Cat
10. Not An Angel

Waiting in the Wings is fucking underrated, I love it. I still prefer TGE and MF, but Waiting in the Wings is amazing as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »
I've never even listened to it; I guess I should get around to that.

Sometime.

Offline tuto

« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
1. The Great Escape
2. Break the Silence
3. Fall in Line
4. The Angelmaker
5. Waiting in the Wings
6. The Edge of My Blade
7. King of Whitewater
8. The Black Parade
9. Alley Cat
10. Not An Angel

Waiting in the Wings is fucking underrated, I love it. I still prefer TGE and MF, but Waiting in the Wings is amazing as well.

Great list as well. And yes, it is underrated but thats exactly how I feel about it too, amazing album usually overshadowed by the other two

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
Disappointed with the new DVD.  Not with the performance, but the quality.

No surround sound and bad camera angles. 

To compare, Pagan's Mind released a blu-ray from the same year at ProgPower and the quality is significantly better.  In fact, I find that blu-ray to be one of the best in terms of picture quality that I've seen before.  It's really well done and I feel like both bands shot for the same thing... an album in it's entirety and a second set with other songs.  One's done well and the other isn't.  Having said that, I haven't watched all of SW's DVD yet.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »
I only listened to the audio (on Spotify/Deezer) and overall I really like it, have been listening to it frequently since it came out. Some songs work perfectly with that live edge to it (some don't do as well though) and the medley is an awesome way to end the whole thing. The sound doesn't stand out in any way to my ears, but is far from the worst I have heard. Cannot comment on the actual footage though.

Also, here is the new track, The Promise in it's entirety on their official channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1p5xwSxHoQ

I love it! I swear I know some of the melodies of the beginning from something else (mainly the keys, maybe from a game/film or something?), but it all fits perfectly in a SW song.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
I'm listening to Mercy Falls for the first time as I write this. I've just discovered this band in my roulette, thanks to Tomislav95  :tup

I have a good feeling about this band and have a feeling I'll really like them  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2017, 06:08:33 AM »
From their FB feed this morning:

Dear friends,
It is with great pleasure that I can share with you this exciting news:
SEVENTH WONDER is back with their fifth studio album, titled ‘Tiara’.
The new album is now in the final stages of mixing, and it is being mixed at Lionheart Studio in Oslo, Norway by Oyvind Voldmo Larsen (who also mixed “Inner Enemy” and “The Promise”).
It is the first studio album to feature Stefan Norgren on drums, and in two weeks the album will be passed on to Jens Bogren of Fascination studios for mastering. Jens has previously worked on albums by Symphony X, Katatonia, Opeth and James LaBrie.
The 13 tracks of this concept album will visit some new sonic spaces for Seventh Wonder, while staying true to their form.
After the mastering, the finished album will be delivered to Frontiers Records for a world wide release.
“We’ve watched you since the dawn of time,
with every moment gone by.
A million suns fade and die,
this is the end?”
Beware, for they’re coming….!

This has been so long in the waiting.  I'm almost ready to get a YtseBitsySpider-esque Circus-Maximus-rage going (for those that remember).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
Yeah, baby :2metal:
Listened to 2 songs they released with Atlanta Live on Spotify (for the first time since release because I, honestly, forgot they existed) and they are both great. I love Inner Enemy, hope this new album will have some catchy short rockers as well.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
I'm almost ready to get a YtseBitsySpider-esque Circus-Maximus-rage going (for those that remember).

:lol so true.  The album was to be released like 4 years ago?  I started to forget about them.  Glad to see it's finally going to see the light of day.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
I love the artwork they provided on their FB page, like holy shit, this is awesome.

My expectations for this album are through the roof, honestly, which is probably not a good thing, but I just can't help it. I have a feeling this is going to be great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
Oh sweet! I've been looking for an appreciation thread about me for ages!

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'