Author Topic: What the **** has Obama done so far...  (Read 2920 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
What the **** has Obama done so far...
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
Thought some of you would like this.

I also thought some of you would like to bash this.

Either way, it will make for some nice conversation.

https://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: What the **** has Obama done so far...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
He's upstaged Bush in the speach giving department.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
Thought some of you would like this.

I also thought some of you would like to bash this.

Either way, it will make for some nice conversation.

https://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Many of those things there are the opposite of what Conservatives would call "got done". It's chalking up to more work for them to reverse.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
None of it impresses me. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
None of it impresses me. 

I hope that was a Hef-esque attempt at humor.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »
No.  The first 8-10 things I saw were either things that shouldn't have been done or were the political equivalent of splooging into a Kleenex. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
Oh, well...in that case, ok.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »
No.  The first 8-10 things I saw were either things that shouldn't have been done or were the political equivalent of splooging into a Kleenex.
:lol
Well... at least he used a Kleenex. Some presidents would just jerk off into your eye.

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »
What the **** has Obama done so far?

Issued executive order to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay
https://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/22/guantanamo.order/index.html

Lol.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »

Maybe they are showed in random order?   Because one of the first things it showed me was that he created more private sector jobs in 2010 than Bush did in his entire presidency.  That's certainly worthy of being mentioned as an "accomplishment"

Also, as a person who could one day benefit from embryonic stem cell research (I have an incurable disease that will probably take my life within a decade or less) I applaud his re-authorization of federal funding for such research.

I think the appointment of a Latina to the SCOTUS is also a great accomplishment, especially because she is proving to be a solid liberal voice on the court.

I agree that a lot of what you see on lists like that is basically "fluff" but there is some substance there and he's actually done quite a bit of good.

I hate those kind of lists, though, and prefer lists like this one:
https://obamaachievements.org/

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
They are presented in random order. 

As for the ones you mentioned,  I'd be curious to know how it justifies crediting the POTUS with jobs creation. 

Stem cell research is one I definitely agree with you on,  but to be fair,  federal funding for it isn't a very big deal.  Stem cell research is an area that offers the reward of monumental profits, and as such there's plenty of research going on with or without Uncle Sammy's handouts. 
E.F. Benson

Offline livehard

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
Thats right, and people who were so outraged didn't take the time and notice that.  They all thought he was banning stem cell research.  that was the biggest joke of a controversy i've ever seen.  Im glad he banned federal funding for it and Im 100% for it and think it could save tons of lives.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »

As for the ones you mentioned,  I'd be curious to know how it justifies crediting the POTUS with jobs creation. 

Stem cell research is one I definitely agree with you on,  but to be fair,  federal funding for it isn't a very big deal.  Stem cell research is an area that offers the reward of monumental profits, and as such there's plenty of research going on with or without Uncle Sammy's handouts.
How does ANYONE credit ANY POTUS with ANYTHING to do with the economy?  I have no idea how they justify crediting the president with Job Creation.

As far as the stem cell research goes, it's an important issue to me personally, so I want as much research happening as possible out there and I have absolutely no problem with my tax dollars contributing to it.

Obviously, ymmv

Offline livehard

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

How does ANYONE credit ANY POTUS with ANYTHING to do with the economy?  I have no idea how they justify crediting the president with Job Creation.

As far as the stem cell research goes, it's an important issue to me personally, so I want as much research happening as possible out there and I have absolutely no problem with my tax dollars contributing to it.

Obviously, ymmv

Good so then you can donate money to it.  Say 20% of your paycheck? That would be very thoughtful of you to agree to that and to prove your belief in that issue.

I have some other things I believe more strongly in, so I am going to contribute to them.  I have no reason to believe that you (or politicians) have a greater of a sense of the utility per $ giving to one charity versus another, and thus see no justifiable reason why they, or you, should be in charge of charity.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »

Obviously, ymmv

Good so then you can donate money to it.  Say 20% of your paycheck? That would be very thoughtful of you to agree to that and to prove your belief in that issue.

I have some other things I believe more strongly in, so I am going to contribute to them.  I have no reason to believe that you (or politicians) have a greater of a sense of the utility per $ giving to one charity versus another, and thus see no justifiable reason why they, or you, should be in charge of charity.

Um, what?  :lol   I don't even know what you mean here.  First off, I've donated quite a bit to charity, but embryonic stem cell research is not a "charity" at all - it's scientific research, conducted mostly in colleges and universities, but also in some private, for-profit businesses as well.  The amount of money allocated by the government to such funding is microscopic compared to the amount of money we spend dropping freaking bombs on other countries, so you'll excuse me if I stick with my opinion on it.

Providing research funding and grants has nothing to do with "being in charge of" something. 

Offline livehard

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

Obviously, ymmv

The amount of money allocated by the government to such funding is microscopic compared to the amount of money we spend dropping freaking bombs on other countries, so you'll excuse me if I stick with my opinion on it.

So therefore the worthiness of government spending on something about what % it would be of total spending, and not based on some moral of philosphical guideline concerning the proper function of government.

It sounds like you really don't have a coherent view of what the government should and shouldn't do...

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
Or maybe, you know, he just disagrees with you. Please stop being so condescending.

Offline livehard

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Let him answer please

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
Let him answer please
Dude, stop being so rude.  Others are allowed to join in on the discussion.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
So therefore the worthiness of government spending on something about what % it would be of total spending, and not based on some moral of philosphical guideline concerning the proper function of government.

It sounds like you really don't have a coherent view of what the government should and shouldn't do...

I have a liberal view of what the government should and should not do.  Does that make you angry?  Because you seem angry   :biggrin:

My comment on the amount we spend on funding embryonic stem cell research compared to how much we spend dropping bombs on other countries was simply meant to illuminate the that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars killing people and destroying cities in foreign countries, but conservatives seem to get all bent out of shape about a tiny fraction of that much spending here, within our borders, on research that can save lives.  And it creates jobs to boot.  Sounds like a win/win to me. 

Let's see.....

Saving lives and creating jobs

or

Dropping million dollar bombs on Iraq and Afghanistan

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the saving lives thing.  :hat

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
but but but... LIFE TO SAVE LIFE!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »

I was waiting for that!  :rollin

Offline livehard

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »

I have a liberal view of what the government should and should not do.  Does that make you angry?  Because you seem angry   :biggrin:

My comment on the amount we spend on funding embryonic stem cell research compared to how much we spend dropping bombs on other countries was simply meant to illuminate the that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars killing people and destroying cities in foreign countries, but conservatives seem to get all bent out of shape about a tiny fraction of that much spending here, within our borders, on research that can save lives.  And it creates jobs to boot.  Sounds like a win/win to me. 

Let's see.....

Saving lives and creating jobs

or

Dropping million dollar bombs on Iraq and Afghanistan

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the saving lives thing.  :hat
Im really not angry at all.  Or let me put it this way: If i am angry I don't know it.  Although it seems harsh its just what I am thiking.  I apologize if I hurt feelings.

Well im not angry, but my point is things aren't as cut and dry.  And as a libertarian I dont think we should drop unecissary bombs, but proteting us from violence and coercian is a moral justification for taking money through people.  Its a moral standpoint im taking.

What i dont understand is how one can justify spending by arguing that its not much money compared to military.  What is the underlying philosoph of whether something should be funded or not funded is my point?  Because if it should be funded to create jobs and do good than there's about 10,000 activities that could fall under that umbrella.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

I was waiting for that!  :rollin

I forget that song exists...

Anyways, the life in question was lost at any rate, so instead of giving some scientific and human value to the embryo's, they just got discarded like they were going to, and like they did. Should we ban fertility practices?

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »
Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans

Why the **** is this even mentioned? Financial reform is probably Obama's biggest failure in terms of what he originally vowed to change. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 11:13:59 PM »
Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans

Why the **** is this even mentioned? Financial reform is probably Obama's biggest failure in terms of what he originally vowed to change. 
It's a shitty website, that's why.