Author Topic: Need advice (sucky room-mates)  (Read 699 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Need advice (sucky room-mates)
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
OK, so I live in an apartment kind of thing at school. Basically, we all share a common kitchen, bathrooms, and a small little living room area thing. Within our apartment type thing, there are 3 floors, 6 people on the first floor, 3 on the second, and me and my friend on the top floor. The two guys in the double on the second floor are kind of assholes. I haven't really talked to them much at all, but from the way they carry themselves and conversations I have overheard (they are loud), they just seem like the kind of person I would NOT get along with.

Anyways, they are big party people so they throw parties here on the weekends all the time. I don't really party all that much, but whatever, I don't care. However, they, or their friends, have been damaging our apartment really bad. A couple weeks ago they punched a huge hole in the wall. Last night I heard them fucking around again and woke up this morning to find two HUGE dents in the wall. And that's fucked up. The way the school handles these things is any damages to the living areas are charged to EVERYONE in this building. And I don't wanna have to pay hundreds of dollars to cover some damage a fucking stupid drunk college douchebag is causing. What do I do?

Obviously, one of the options is confront them. I am not on friendly terms with these people, however. We all usually pass each other without saying a word to each other. I know that if I do confront them, shit will get heated. And I tend to be a very non-confrontational person, but if I'm pushed, I WILL bite back. And it's only October, and I'm stuck here until May. I don't want to make things harder on myself by making enemies so soon into the school year. But I'm not gonna deal with this shit all year.

The other option I was thinking was going to residence life and addressing them about the issue. I'm not sure how to do this either, and honestly that could turn out completely futile. However, I could probably remain anonymous through this, which would save me a lot of discomfort that I feel I shouldn't even have to deal with in the first place.

So yeah, some advice would be great. Sadly, I don't think I can get my money back. I'm going to try and move out at the end of the semester if possible, but I'm pretty sure I won't be refunded, so that won't work out. Any ideas/suggestions?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Need advice (sucky room-mates)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
Def bring it up with Res life now.  And if you do get a bill, just don't pay it.  That's what I did at my school when a similar issue happened.  My school didn't even come after me for the charges.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »
Punch a hole into the guy. Or at least put a good dent into him.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »
Personally,  I'm opposed to snitches.  However, if you're not the confrontational type, then you're fairly short on options.  Important thing for now:  DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!  In fact,  this should be a set rule that everybody learns early on.  It's the absolute first order of CYA.  Document when every bit of damage happens, who was there and where you were.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
Personally, I'd talk to them first. Just say you're worried about the damages they're causing and want them to pay for the money you're going to lose out of it. If they tell you to go suck it, then go to res life.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Personally,  I'm opposed to snitches.  However, if you're not the confrontational type, then you're fairly short on options.  Important thing for now:  DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!  In fact,  this should be a set rule that everybody learns early on.  It's the absolute first order of CYA.  Document when every bit of damage happens, who was there and where you were.

Brilliant.
And.
AND
Let them see you out there taking pictures with your phone or camera of the damage.
When they say...what the fuck are you doing......you can tell them. "I'm covering my ass for the damages you did to this residence"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »

The thing is, it isn't really snitching. They find out about this regardless at the end of the year when they inspect the rooms, so it is inevitable that this is going to be uncovered. Going to res life won't get them in trouble, per say, at most they'll be stuck with having to pay the charges (which they racked up in the first place).

And at the beginning of the year, we have to sign an inspection form that states the current shape of the building, so I mean there is no way they would overlook a gaping hole in the wall where all of the wires and shit are coming through.  :lol

I like the idea of documenting though, I will definitely do that. I have a lot of shit to pay for, and not much money, so I really can't afford to cover the asses of some... well, asses.  :lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Just go to Res life dude. You don't have to tell them who did it.  Just tell them you found damage in your dorm, you had no part of doing the damage, and you are concerned that you will have to pay for it even though you have nothing to do with it.  Often times, if the stuff is reported first and they don't find it themselves they might not charge anyone.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?