Author Topic: Stepping up to a 5 or 6 string bass.  (Read 892 times)

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
Stepping up to a 5 or 6 string bass.
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:29:57 AM »
I've been playing bass for about 6 years now and I really only play now when I want to play along with whatever music I'm listening to. I'll sometimes jam with buddies but I don't really have an aim to be in a band or anything. Just kinda getting that out of the way...

Anyways, I've been itching to jump up to an instrument with more strings for a while now. From the get-go I was running into songs that forced me to detune or find re-arranged tabs and that sucked. I know 5 strings would definitely be enough but I don't know if I should just take the plunge and buy a 6 string when I can afford it. I figure either will be a pretty big adjustment so I just don't know.

So yeah, people that have done it before... should I go to a 5 string before getting a 6 string or should I just make the big leap all at once?

Not exactly a pressing issue, but I'm thinking of getting my next bass sometime next year so I'm looking at them now.  Thanks.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Stepping up to a 5 or 6 string bass.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
I play a 5 string and love having that low B string available.  I don't know if I'd even want a 6 string.  I know I don't NEED it. 

As far as the adjustment goes, I thought it was pretty easy

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
Well it depends. I went directly to the 6 string from a 4 string just because I wanted so much to have these extra notes available. But I think it also fits my playing style very well (I love playing arpeggios and lots of scales and fast runs, tap etc. as opposed to (e.g.) slap & pop). So that's the first question you have to ask yourself, if it doesn't fit your style then it's probably not worth getting one. If you don't want to play solos or use higher harmonics, tap chords and stuff like that, I don't see why you would get a 6 string instead of a 5.

If you want it just for the fun of it, then it doesn't matter, just get whatever feels more comfortable. Actually, that's the best suggestion I have: just go out there and try basses. You might find that 6 string basses are too big and nasty and that you don't need that high C string after all!

If you're wondering about how difficult the transition is etc., I can assure you it's not hard at all, it just takes time & practice. Don't get disappointed just because you can't do the same things you were doing on the 4 string bass straight away.

Hope I helped, have fun!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:29:25 PM »
^that's the best advice yet.  It's IMPERATIVE that you sit down and PLAY an instrument for a little while before you buy it.  Make sure it feels right.  I spent three hours at Guitar Center the day I purchased my Strat.   I played a dozen guitars that day.  And it wasn't until I picked up the one I ended up taking home that I knew I had found the one I wanted, just by how it felt.