Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 9332 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 06:30:01 AM »
I can. Because I have tried that in the last 4 years of my studies and failed basically every time.

Besides - you say that in a DREAM THEATER forum? :D

Although you can't tell me that this live performance isn't simply mind blowing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlM92erAor4
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
I can't imagine it would be very exciting going to see a band and they're all session guys who just stand there playing the music *exactly as it is on the CD".

Well, when I saw them, I was on a blanket on the lawn at an amphitheater, warm summer night, cold beer, a girl I met about an hour before sitting in my lap, letting Steely Dan wash over me... yeah, I made it work. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
I can't imagine it would be very exciting going to see a band and they're all session guys who just stand there playing the music *exactly as it is on the CD".

Well, when I saw them, I was on a blanket on the lawn at an amphitheater, warm summer night, cold beer, a girl I met about an hour before sitting in my lap, letting Steely Dan wash over me... yeah, I made it work.

Damn.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
Here's some very, VERY bad news. I am deeply saddened:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956
I can't believe this is true.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
saw him with the Dan a few years back perform the complete Aja. Great show.

rest in peace Walter Becker.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
Sad news indeed. Rest In Peace.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
Yeah, this bums me out big time too.  Really underrated musical talent.  He didn't have the "voice", but he brought a lot to the Dan party. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:39 AM »
I am currently going through the lyrics of and attempts to interpret Donald's Kamakiriad to write a review of the album (sadly, in German). I think its lyrics and themes are highly interesting and masterfully written, yet very hard to understand completely. Then again, Donald has said in interviews that he "trusts" listeners and fans to fill in details in the storyline so that everyone can interpret the story on their own.
Can the Dan-fans here please share their thoughts on Kamakiriad's themes with me? The more input, the more I can picture the whole story happen :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2023, 01:08:26 PM »
bump.

Steely Dan were on the Eagles tour, but have left due to Donald Fagen being hospitalized.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/steely-dan-drop-off-eagles-tour-dates-due-to-illness-donald-fagen-reportedly-hospitalized/

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2023, 02:14:49 PM »
Bummer.  Part of me wants to take issue with calling them Steely Dan when it's really just Donald Fagen and whoever, but obviously he's the voice and most people don't care.  I care, because to me Walter Becker's guitar is also a big part of their sound, and Steely Dan was really just the two of them anyway.  But whatever; calling it Steely Dan puts more butts in seats.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2023, 10:19:18 PM »
I get it. I saw them during that residency tour thing where they played 5 nights in a city. Guess it was '09. I went to the Aja night and was blown away. Was something like 5th row with Donald right above me as his keyboards were right at the front of the stage. Still one of the best shows I have ever been to. For me, I want to see Walter and Donald on stage if I am seeing the Dan. It just feels off to me calling it Steely Dan.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2023, 08:41:40 AM »
i hope donald is ok :(
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!