Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
So I've played Aja two or three times.

That shit is sleek. Kind of poppier than I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
One thing I learned off all of those Steely Dan albums as a guitarist:  phrasing.  Before listening to this band, I didn't give a shit about making my solos "take a breath" so to speak.  I was more into just coming up with long passages that go note after note.  A song like Peg taught me that it's OK to break those lines up a bit and make them more appealing to the listener.

This is such a lost art in most music nowadays.
Definitely true. A melodic line needs to breathe, it should even be "singable". Solos should be what you hear inside your head coming out through your instrument - not rehearsed patterns.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
I love me some Steely Dan, although I haven't quite taken the time to get into a lot of their music.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »
So I've played Aja two or three times.

That shit is sleek. Kind of poppier than I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing.
That's exactly what my daughter said!

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Fagen's Sunken Condos (2012) is excellent, not that anyone cares.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Fagen is cool, but his solo stuff has never grabbed me.  I guess he needs Becker's awesomeness to help make the songs into something.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 05:02:04 AM »
Could be a function of advancing time, with Fagen getting "too slick" post-Aja.  That being said, I guess the ultimate test is whether you like Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go that much more than Nightfly and Kamakiriad since those are the two Dan albums that post-date the first two Fagen solo albums.  I do concede Becker does add something, even if its only "10%" or so.  However, Becker's solo albums are lame so don't want to exaggerate his influence too much.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
I do like Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go.  To me, they sound like classic Steely Dan; the gap between them and the original run isn't obvious at all.  Maybe a little, but not a lot, not like some bands which reform after 20 years or whatever.

Nope, Becker's solo albums don't thrill me, either.  It takes the two of them to make it any good.  Where do you get the figure "10%"?  Even if Fagen does the writing and Becker mostly just shows up and plays guitar, the two of them have a chemistry together, and somehow that comes through in the final product.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
Just a made up percentage, probably unduly discounting the chemistry factor.  I guess Fagen's solo albums are too loungy for some tastes; Becker perhaps reins in those impulses in Fagen for material going out under the Steely Dan name, plus he plays those cool fills.  Cool that you like the latter day Dan; tired of some fans exaggerating the difference between them and the '70s' output.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
BUMP

I'm late to the party on these guys. I don't really understand how their hits came to be their hits. I fucking hate Reelin in the Years. I started changing my tune regarding them when I heard Show Biz Kids on the radio a while back, but I've really come around to them just this weekend as I spent most of it listening to them. An acquired taste for me, but well worth it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
The first album was very different, in "attitude" more than sound I suppose, and "Reelin' in the Years" is of course from the first album.  Maybe it's a product of its time, but I like it.  Mostly for the lyrics, which I think are brilliant.

You've been telling me a genius since you were seventeen
In all the time I've known you, I still don't know what you mean

"Show Biz Kids" is awesome.  First time I ever heard "don't give a fuck" on the radio.  I don't think the censors even realized it was there.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »
I don't like this band, but I like Reelin' in the Years. Man, my opinions are terrible.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »
I don't like this band, but I like Reelin' in the Years. Man, my opinions are terrible.

Haha, that's why they're called opinions. I guess what we can take away from this is Reelin' in the Years is not a good way to judge whether or not you'll like Steely Dan  :tup

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
Reelin' in the Years doesn't really show what Steely Dan is IMO, but it's a great song to listen to.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
Yeah, those first couple of albums were all over the place, and in general kinda different from what Steely Dan would become later.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »
Yeah, those first couple of albums were all over the place, and in general kinda different from what Steely Dan would become later.

I need to check all of it out, but I'm loving what I've heard from Countdown to Ecstasy, and My Old School is probably my favorite of theirs that gets regular rotation on classic rock stations.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 07:37:17 AM »
I love all of it.  If you want to get into Steely Dan, I suggest starting from the beginning (Can't Buy a Thrill) because of the evolution of their sound.  They did stabilize more or less by the third album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
I'd like to dig out this topic, because I am a huge Steely Dan / Fagen fan.
What do you guys think about Fagens four solo albums?
any rock can be made to roll

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
I love Fagen's voice.  Besides all of Steely Dan, I used to have a copy of The Nightfly, but I have no idea where it is.  It was awesome.  I've heard some of Kamakiriad and liked that a lot, too.  A friend from work had it I think.

I've never heard any from the later two.  I'm not sure why.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 12:21:52 AM »
I saw them perform Aja in its entirety a couple of years ago. Phenomenal.

Also, for those who may not know Mayer Hawthorne, his track "Reach out Richard" is almost a Steely Dan tribute (very Peg-like)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya19JQPN8ow

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2016, 04:38:24 AM »
Very cool tune, although it's almost a Peg ripoff ;) In fact I have NEVER found anything that sounds like Dan/Fagen and is not a ripoff of them. In my opinion, The Nightfly is a masterpiece, SO IS Morph The Cat! Those arrangements are just incredible. Kamakiriad ist a great album too, and I still have to get into Sunken Condos. Fagens music always takes a while for me.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:17 AM »
I love Fagen's voice.  Besides all of Steely Dan, I used to have a copy of The Nightfly, but I have no idea where it is.  It was awesome.  I've heard some of Kamakiriad and liked that a lot, too.  A friend from work had it I think.

I've never heard any from the later two.  I'm not sure why.

Weird how memory works.  I was re-reading the thread, and four years ago I said that I wasn't thrilled by Fagen's solo work.  I remember it differently now.  I still remember liking his voice, which was always the attraction for me, but since I haven't heard it in a while, I guess I recall it more favorably now than I did then, which is weird.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »
How have I not posted in this thread :lol

Their sound is so tight knit. I love it. That late 70s light jazz-rock sound. So good. It was utilized by other artists but never to the success or tightness as Steely Dan.

Not familiar with Fagen's solo stuff so must check it out
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:30 PM »
How have I not posted in this thread :lol

Their sound is so tight knit. I love it. That late 70s light jazz-rock sound. So good. It was utilized by other artists but never to the success or tightness as Steely Dan.

Not familiar with Fagen's solo stuff so must check it out

If you love the Dan, you should ;) The Nightfly starts where Gaucho left off. If I may say so, I find his solo stuff even a little more brilliant. It's also cool to really check out the lyrics of that album. They reflect the memories of Fagen himself in the late 50s.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2016, 02:30:25 AM »
After finally listening to Aja some years ago and instantly liking it, I'm slowly (very slowly) going through their discography. So far I have (and know) Aja, Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic. I like all of them but I think Aja's my favorite. Definitely a great band. So cool and so laid back and yet still rocking somehow.

I also have The Nightfly by Fagen and really like that too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2016, 08:38:49 AM »
I was late coming around on Steely Dan.  But they are exceptional.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
Giving this thread a bump... One album that I listen to quite a bit and haven't seen mentioned here is "The Royal Scam". I probably could put on any of their albums and enjoy them to great extent but given it's not been discussed much here (although this thread should be a bit longer I think given the quality of the band) I figure I'd bring up how much I enjoy it!  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
I had to learn Gaslighting Abbie on my degree. Interesting song with bizarre chord changes.

Apparently they were studio boffins though and hired several session musos to play on the songs and chopped up all their performances and picked the best bits from all the guys.

Like a hi hat from one guy - a snare from another guy etc... Nuts.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »
Yes those guys are indeed nuts, but I think I have never heard anything so perfect! Although they found back their "band sound" on Everything Must Go, which is a very underrated album in my opinion.

Donald Fagen is one of the few musicians who became better and better for me from album to album. Aja and Gaucho topped every other album that came out before. The Nightfly is a masterpiece, so is Kamakiriad, but my favorite album by Donald AND Steely Dan would be Morph The Cat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »
Rikki Don't Lose That Number is one of the greatest songs ever recorded by any band ever.

In my opinion.  :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »
Rikki Don't Lose That Number is one of the greatest songs ever recorded by any band ever.

In my opinion.  :)

Seconded.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
I used to really dislike that song because I found it boring, and whenever it came on the local classic rock station, I would immediately change channels.

As I have gotten older and started performing music myself, I got into Steely Dan more, and now I see that song as being pretty cool. 

Funny how perspectives change.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2017, 11:28:08 AM »
I really like Steely Dan. However, I saw them last April in CT and was bored to death.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »
I really like Steely Dan. However, I saw them last April in CT and was bored to death.

Damn I want to see them so badly but that's impossible for a German guy with.. you, stuff to do and not a lot money on my account.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
I can't imagine it would be very exciting going to see a band and they're all session guys who just stand there playing the music *exactly as it is on the CD".