Author Topic: Lost.  (Read 38302 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Lost.
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »
I've never seen it. Not a single episode. I'm watching the first one right now. Apparently jet engines explode when guys get sucked into them. Wings explode when they fall. Is this JJ Abrams or Michael Bay?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Ryzee

Re: Lost.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
I think it's just "hey look at what an awesome budget we have for a tv pilot!!" which at that time was pretty impressive.  LOST, like everything these days it seems like, is one of those love it or hate it things and (like everything these days it seems like) it's way cooler to hate it.  But I'm just going to go ahead right now and announce that I love LOST, warts and all. It's my favorite TV show of all time.  I enjoyed every episode of every season, and thought the series finale was wonderful.  Dissenters shall continue to dissent.

4+8+15+16+23+42 = man I miss that show!

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
The fourth episode is some of the best writing in a single episode that TV has ever seen.

(That's "Walkabout" for reference)
caw caw

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
I've never seen it. Not a single episode. I'm watching the first one right now. Apparently jet engines explode when guys get sucked into them. Wings explode when they fall. Is this JJ Abrams or Michael Bay?

.... it gets better man. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
Best show ever made. And yes, watch through Walkabout until deciding whether to continue or not.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
Stop after season 3. It'll be a much better experience for you, trust me.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »

This. It's probably my favorite TV show of all time. I was hooked for all 6 seasons.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
The guy getting sucked into the jet engine is the best part of the pilot. If you're too concerned about reality, you shouldn't be watching Lost ;)

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »

Change that to after season 4 and I'm okay with it.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
The guy getting sucked into the jet engine is the best part of the pilot. If you're too concerned about reality, you shouldn't be watching Lost ;)
Dear God, I've always hated this argument with a passion. I don't care what universe it is. Every object should behave on screen as it normally would in real life (possibly with the exception of sci-fi tech), unless it has magical properties or something is supernaturally causing it to do otherwise. It's like if Luke shot the death star and it turned into a giant cinnamon bun. Problem? Obviously. Oh wait, fuckin magical muppets liftin' shit out of the swamp - spontaneous cinnamon bunnage must be okay.

Well-placed supernatural events don't excuse retarded physics.

That being said, that's my counter to the "if you're concerned about reality" argument, not "Lost" in general. I plan to keep watching the show, but I can't see the aforementioned argument and not say anything about it.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »
Dear God, I've always hated this argument with a passion. I don't care what universe it is. Every object should behave on screen as it normally would in real life (possibly with the exception of sci-fi tech), unless it has magical properties or something is supernaturally causing it to do otherwise. It's like if Luke shot the death star and it turned into a giant cinnamon bun. Problem? Obviously. Oh wait, fuckin magical muppets liftin' shit out of the swamp - spontaneous cinnamon bunnage must be okay.

That being said, that's my counter to the "if you're concerned about reality" argument, not "Lost" in general. I plan to keep watching the show, but I can't see the aforementioned argument and not say anything about it.

My statement still stands. You're watching a work of complete and total fiction that, as you will soon see, bends all sorts of logic issues that you will either find ludicrous and hokey or accept and enjoy as entertainment.

And to be fair, your example is exaggerated. 90% of people would likely not sit there and dwell on the factual properties of a human body being able to blow up a jet engine. The Death Star turning to a cinnamon bun? Weak.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »

This. It's probably my favorite TV show of all time. I was hooked for all 6 seasons.

Along with X-Files, Lost is also my all-time favourite TV show. Well-worth watching, though it does take a long time to get any answers as to what the heck is going on.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Lost was my favorite show until I saw The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, etc.
I AM A GUY

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »
Breaking Bad just passed LOST on my list of favorite shows. I love LOST. If I had to rank the seasons:

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
2, 3

I AM A GUY

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »
6 was slow from the start, but those last few episodes, excluding "Across The Sea" were awesome.

The best of the season was Ab Aeterno

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »

I once read a review on amazon of a book that said, 'It was like just because the author was writing fiction, he thought he could make up whatever he wanted to.'

How can you not want to punch that guy? IT'S ENTERTAINMENT.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »

Why? I have yet to watch this show apart from the pilot many years ago (I also remember the guy getting sucked into the engine).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
The whole dynamic of the show begins to change by that point, plus the way it ends is absolutely perfect. The last three seasons seem hellbent on answering questions just to appease the audience and introduce ridiculous mythology that was just too uninteresting for me. The show changes from being a really cool survival show about the characters that takes place on a crazy island to a show about the crazy island.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

4+8+15+16+23+42 = man I miss that show!

me too  :-\

Favorite show ever, easily...

Season 1 was by far the best, but hey I still enjoy the hell out of Octavarium even though it's not I&W  :smiley:

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
And to be fair, your example is exaggerated. 90% of people would likely not sit there and dwell on the factual properties of a human body being able to blow up a jet engine. The Death Star turning to a cinnamon bun? Weak.
https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
Oh come on, nobody uses hyperbole on the internet!!!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 02:36:15 AM »
Fucking jump scares. Ugh. I'm fat - my heart rate is high enough as it is.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 05:49:08 AM »
The fourth episode is some of the best writing in a single episode that TV has ever seen.

Ugh.  No it doesn't.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Kosmo

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
I watched through the entire series a few months back, the earlier seasons were way better but I just had to see how it ends. It does get really silly towards the end but I still enjoyed it, after the smoke monster thingy I pretty much stopped caring if it was realistic or not.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
Best TV show ever. I understand the hate towards the ending but I still think it was awesome. And I do agree that chapter 4 of the first season is the one that hooks you up. I don't remember what the hell it is about but I know that after that one I was completley unable to stop watching.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 07:35:18 AM »
The show used a story telling style that infuriated watchers. I both loved and hated the show at the same time.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 12:17:28 AM »
Wow, this thread died fast. Right now I'm just starting the 8th episode, which is apparently Sawyer's. I like the show, but I really don't give a fuck about his character.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
I cried when it was all over. Also, Through the Looking Glass, the season three finale... Best. Episode. Ever.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

Best show ever made. And yes, watch through Walkabout until deciding whether to continue or not.

I watched through the entire series a few months back, the earlier seasons were way better but I just had to see how it ends. It does get really silly towards the end but I still enjoyed it, after the smoke monster thingy I pretty much stopped caring if it was realistic or not.
Best TV show ever. I understand the hate towards the ending but I still think it was awesome. And I do agree that chapter 4 of the first season is the one that hooks you up. I don't remember what the hell it is about but I know that after that one I was completley unable to stop watching.
The show used a story telling style that infuriated watchers. I both loved and hated the show at the same time.
I cried when it was all over. Also, Through the Looking Glass, the season three finale... Best. Episode. Ever.

i agree with all of this.

Wow, this thread died fast. Right now I'm just starting the 8th episode, which is apparently Sawyer's. I like the show, but I really don't give a fuck about his character.

oh boy will that change... he became easily my favorite character that I cared about the most.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:55 AM »
Is there an explanation for Locke? Somebody at a box company doesn't just wake up with fixed legs and become the best hunter/tracker ever. Something has to be going on.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 04:03:15 AM »
Is there an explanation for Locke? Somebody at a box company doesn't just wake up with fixed legs and become the best hunter/tracker ever. Something has to be going on.

Yes.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 04:51:24 AM »
[SPOILERS]Locke is a robot[/SPOILERS]

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »

That's the one where *that thing happened* rght? Yes I agree for sure. Best episode of the series.

edited for spoilers
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:20:22 AM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »

You should delete that post for the sake of the guy who is watching the show currently.  Considering its his thread.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:25:40 AM by 7StringedBeast »
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?