Author Topic: Evanescence Thread  (Read 12830 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: Evanescence Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
The Open Door is the best them.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 01:50:24 AM »
Except it's not.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 02:47:07 AM »
IMHO.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »
Well I'm glad you're being honest.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »
Didn't realize how much I've missed listening to this band.  The new album feels really strong, I'm listening to it whole for the first time right now, almost done.  It'll have a hard time displacing Fallen because of sentimental value with a good friend, though.  ...seems like it might have a shot.

They're still one of the oddest concerts I've been to.  It was an open stage at Summerfest, down on the Milwaukee lake shore right when they were becoming big.  My friend and I were hanging out in a back corner with more of a beer drinking metal/rock crowd.  Out in front of us were tons of teenage girls that only knew two or three songs and looked at our group like we were crazy while we sang all the songs. :lol  ...walking back after the concert we got to see Dennis DeYoung trying to keep himself irrelevant singing Styx songs.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »
IMO, Amy Lee has a strong voice but when it comes to perform live something is just not right. Plus, the group has lost its atmosphere. When I compare "Origin" and the others (The Open Door, Fallen) I have no desire to listen the new ones.

Understanding, Field Of Innocence and Imaginary are just awesome.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
IMO, Amy Lee has a strong voice but when it comes to perform live something is just not right. Plus, the group has lost its atmosphere. When I compare "Origin" and the others (The Open Door, Fallen) I have no desire to listen the new ones.

Understanding, Field Of Innocence and Imaginary are just awesome.

This. I cut a little slack for The Open Door though, 'A' for effort as it were.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »
IMO, Amy Lee has a strong voice but when it comes to perform live something is just not right.
She sounded like she didn't warm up when I saw them.  It took her half the set to start sounding ready to go.  I imagine she must warm up, though, but something wasn't right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
Every clip I've seen of Evanescence live, Amy sounds strained and always out of breath. She's not terrible live, but the studio suits her voice better.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
I just discoveredthey had made a new album.   Loved the original, album, now I really am digging the YouTube official video for "My heart is Broken".   She still sounds great imho and looks great too (bonus).
https://youtu.be/f1QGnq9jUU0 
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »
I really like this band. New album rocks, The Open Door is crap (except for Call Me When You're Sober), and Fallen rocks.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
I dunno TOD has grown on me, just the opposite for the ST.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
I've always quite liked TOD but think it's probably their weakest album. The self titled is really good though, probably the best thing they've done.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
For me:
1. Origin
2. Fallen + TOD
3. ST

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
I still need to find a copy of Origin somewhere.

Fallen was good, though the production made it a bit....sterile. But the song writing (though repetitive) was good.

TOD was Evanescence showing that Ben Moody was the song writer. They had great ideas scattered on the album but were poorly strung together. In the end, it's an attempt at an album, that would have been better with real song writers helping out.

ST is good. Production is better, song writing is tight and Amy sounds great. However they found a routine and stuck to it, and at no point through out the entire CD did they even try to explore new ground or do anything out of the radio friendly rock formula.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
I still need to find a copy of Origin somewhere.

Fallen was good, though the production made it a bit....sterile. But the song writing (though repetitive) was good.

TOD was Evanescence showing that Ben Moody was the song writer. They had great ideas scattered on the album but were poorly strung together. In the end, it's an attempt at an album, that would have been better with real song writers helping out.

ST is good. Production is better, song writing is tight and Amy sounds great. However they found a routine and stuck to it, and at no point through out the entire CD did they even try to explore new ground or do anything out of the radio friendly rock formula.

That's exactly the problem I had with it, and the reason why, even though it's not *great*, I'm finding more to love on TOD.

But yeah, Origin will always be their best.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
Adami's pretty much put down my opinion. I like half of the first album, TOD doesn't have any memorable moments to me, and while the s/t feels like a stronger album, nothing on it really feels like something I haven't heard before from them or some other band.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »
S/T may not be anything new, but the songs are great. Bands don't have to break new grounds. As long as they are writing memorable songs. See: Iron Maiden.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
I own all of the evanescence albums and eps, minus mystary, and my ranking goes:
1. Origin
2. Fallen
3. Evanescence (EP)
4. Evanescence (Album)
5. Sound Asleep
6. The Open Door

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
I own all of the evanescence albums and eps, minus mystary, and my ranking goes:
1. Origin
2. Fallen
3. Evanescence (EP)
4. Evanescence (Album)
5. Sound Asleep
6. The Open Door

Did you pay a lot for Origin and the EPs?

My post-Origin ranking would be:

Evanescence
Fallen

The Open Door

I compiled all my favorite pre-Fallen songs to create a great mix CD which if it was real, would be pretty high on my top 50 albums list.

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2014, 03:39:11 AM »
1. Origin
2. Fallen
3. Evanescence (EP)
4. Evanescence (Album)
5. Sound Asleep
6. The Open Door

Did you pay a lot for Origin and the EPs?
Origin was £20, Evanescence was £25, sound asleep (I think) was £28.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »
I only listened to Fallen, back when it got released. I really enjoyed My Immortal a lot, before they butchered it with the band version.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »
I actually like that version. You should check out their self titled though. It's really good. Better than Fallen, I say.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
I might,  but I guess I'm whom got into Fallen during its debut,  I hold it highly.

I bet now, I will enjoy their recent output.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
I might,  but I guess I'm whom got into Fallen during its debut,  I hold it highly.

I bet now, I will enjoy their recent output.

I got into them during Fallen's debut as well, and during that time I also discovered their pre-Fallen demos, which I still think are just as good if not better than their major label stuff. One thing that always bugged me about Fallen was how samey the guitar riffs were. The self titled is a lot more diverse. The Open Door might be the biggest follow up diappointment ever.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »
Whatever happened with Moody's We Are The Fallen band, anyway? I really liked the album they put out, but that was nearly four years ago now and I don't think I ever heard a thing about the band again after that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
Not sure, but I just tried listening to the single the other day, and I still don't like it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:58 AM »
Yeah I heard the album and found it a bit meh.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Not sure why, but I just never even really got plugged into this band at all.  I think I may have seen an odd video or two here and there, but that's it.  Are they still putting out music?

And Lacuna Coil are a pretty good band too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »
Not sure, but I just tried listening to the single the other day, and I still don't like it.

Yeah I heard the album and found it a bit meh.

Aw, really? I don't think it's better than Evanescence's debut but I certainly found it better than TOD or the s/t.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
That Made of Stone video was pretty good.  Listening to What You Want right now.  Not bad.  I like the vocals, but I tend to not like the more pop-flavored, "American Idol" sounding vocals as much.  That's kinda the reason I never really got into We Are The Fallen.  Nothing bad about them, but didn't care for the vocal style too much and lost interest fairly quickly depite some really cool things.  That being said, this band does seem to be a cut above.  I think what I'll do is just peek in the used bin on my next few trips to the record store and see if I can pick up an album or two on the cheap.  If they end up clicking with me, I will start buying the rest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »
That Made of Stone video was pretty good.  Listening to What You Want right now.  Not bad.  I like the vocals, but I tend to not like the more pop-flavored, "American Idol" sounding vocals as much.  That's kinda the reason I never really got into We Are The Fallen.  Nothing bad about them, but didn't care for the vocal style too much and lost interest fairly quickly depite some really cool things.  That being said, this band does seem to be a cut above.  I think what I'll do is just peek in the used bin on my next few trips to the record store and see if I can pick up an album or two on the cheap.  If they end up clicking with me, I will start buying the rest.

Don't buy The Open Door even if it's a dollar. That album blows. They redeemed themselves with the self titled.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:50 PM »
Sometimes, I end up really liking stuff that goes against the grain, so I won't rule it out if I see it.  But I will keep your comments in mind and keep an open mind about the band if I end up not liking it. 

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
Sometimes, I end up really liking stuff that goes against the grain, so I won't rule it out if I see it.  But I will keep your comments in mind and keep an open mind about the band if I end up not liking it.
Trust me, the open door really blows. I listened to it for the first month it was out to try and get into it. I haven't listened to it since.

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »
Just picked up a copy of "Demos" this is a rare "bootleg" which contains 37 demos from post origin, but pre fallen! Recommended to anybody, who, like me loves the days of evanescence being a trio of BM, AL and DH!