Author Topic: Kingdom of heaven/Kingdom of God in the four Gospels?  (Read 8631 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Kingdom of heaven/Kingdom of God in the four Gospels?
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 06:30:14 AM »
Why not?

Keep in mind that I make a distinction between what Jesus taught and what people like Paul taught, which I consider to be drastically different.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
I'm not talking about Paul in any way, shape, or form.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
First, there's no doubt about what Jesus' followers and indeed most Jews had in mind when they thought about the kingdom of God. But Jesus not once mentions the restoration of David's Kingdom.

I think it was implicit, since that's what the prophesies said it was going to be.
Jesus was considered to be a direct descendant of David, and he was said to sit to the right of God in the new Kingdom. Without sufficient evidence that Jesus considered this *something different*, the assumption should be everybody (including Jesus) was expecting something very similar to the Jewish prophesies. Keep in mind that most gospels were written for a Jewish audience; any difference to Jewish prophecy would, one would expect, be spelled out *clearly* by the author to avoid any kind of confusion on the part of the listener. The fact that there isn't means the Jewish prophecies remain intact.
I think it was pretty clear. As I said, Jesus referenced the Old Testament when preaching about the Kingdom of God, but did so in a way that distinguished his role from what they expected his role to be.

It might also be useful to point out that the initial recipients of the Gospels would have been very familiar with the issue, so it wasn't necessary to put a plain-as-day verse in Luke exclaiming that "the Kingdom ain't no physical entity!" To be sure, that concept is evidenced in the text; it's just not written with the modern reader in mind.
Jesus foretells a major upheaval ("no stone will be left unturned") all in the near future. I agree that he didn't see himself as a political or military figure, it seemed he rather expected this upheaval to be initiated by God himself.
We went rounds on this several months back. As I recall, you refused to answer my arguments. The subject is the destruction of the temple, not Armageddon. 
Interpreting Mark 10:38 that way is IMHO once again "creative reading". Look at the whole passage:
Very well. Look at verses 44-45

35 And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came up to him and said to him, "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you." 36And he said to them, "What do you want me to do for you?" 37And they said to him, "Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory." 38Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?" 39And they said to him, "We are able." And Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized, 40but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared." 41And when the ten heard it, they began to be indignant at James and John. 42 And Jesus called them to him and said to them, "You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,[d] 44and whoever would be first among you must be slave[e] of all. 45For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

This passage is clearly another example of "the first will be last, the last will be first" Jesus had pointed out elsewhere. James and John essentially want a "prime spot" in the Kingdom due to them being disciples, and Jesus reprimands them for asking that. But, interestingly, he goes on to say "ok, you asked for it, so you *are* baptized like I am baptized" (10:19). This clearly doesn't refer to death since James and John don't die with Jesus but live long after. It's an orthodox attempt to have Jesus foresee his own crucifixion, but scripturally it just doesn't hold up.

rumborak
Why would they have to die with Jesus for the interpretation to remain valid? And I'd say it does refer to his death - notice that his question is clearly a reference to something that he must do. Notice also how Luke 12:50 follows up on this: "I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »
We went rounds on this several months back. As I recall, you refused to answer my arguments. The subject is the destruction of the temple, not Armageddon. 

Puh-lease. I don't "refuse" to answer your arguments; I might not have quoted every single point of your posts, but that is something very different.
The "clairvoyance of the temple's destruction in 70AD" requires several skips of topic in the same passage, without sense, without announcement by Jesus. I don't believe that is the case; I am convinced he talks about the same thing all the way through. Simple as that.

"You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,[d] 44and whoever would be first among you must be slave[e] of all. 45For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

I don't see this necessarily an allusion to death. He talks about his service to God, and that is something he does while he is *alive*, not when he is dead. In my view, "giving his life as a ransom" is meant as *dedicating* his life to serve God, because that's how he makes himself "the last", just as he asks his disciples to do. That's what the whole preceding stuff was about, to teach the disciples how to become great in the Kingdom of God. They wanted a shortcut, and he tells them there's only the hard way of dedicating your life. If Jesus suddenly started talking about his death as a way to become great in the Kingdom, it would defeat the whole purpose of his teaching, because it's something none of the disciples could follow him with.

In general, when it comes to orthodox interpretation, I find that there is quite little value put on an interpretation that produces a consistent message of Jesus. Instead, passages get shredded into subparts that allow the orthodox theology to work.

Why would they have to die with Jesus for the interpretation to remain valid? And I'd say it does refer to his death - notice that his question is clearly a reference to something that he must do. Notice also how Luke 12:50 follows up on this: "I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished!"

Lol, and that's where you choose to end your reading. It goes on to say

Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

The distress isn't his death; it's the division he must sow for his mission on Earth.

To elaborate more, I don't think Jesus' death had any significance, and it certainly wasn't in Jesus' "plan" to die. The orthodox attempt to retroject his death into his "grand mission on Earth" is stretched. His teachings talk about the here and now and one's personal lifestyle in preparation for the upheaval. That's what his teachings focus on massively in the gospels. He never says "I need to die for this or that reason", that's all stretched reasoning after the uncomfortable fact that he *did* die.

rumborak

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:22:08 PM by rumborak »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
rumby, Jesus's teachings about the kingdom of God have nothing to do with his death - that's a separate issue.  But I am convinced that you are completely misreading or otherwise not getting what Jesus was talking about.  I mean, it is blatantly obvious that his teachings were radically new and previous unthought of by the Jewish population.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
I think I'm somewhere in the middle of where you think I stand, and where I really stand. I think Jesus built completely on the Jewish foundation and prophesied the arrival of the Messiah alongside the Kingdom of God through upheaval.
What was radically new was the interpretation on how to end up in said Kingdom. Jewish tradition emphasized the adhering to rituals, whereas Jesus said that's all rubbish, only the ones who are clean at heart and put themselves below the lowest of society will be raised to the highest by God.
And that was his core message throughout the gospels. How to lead your life in order to end up high in the Kingdom. It's what the disciples are constantly inquiring about too, and it would be weird to assume they would talk incessantly about something that isn't part of the core message.
His death, was plain unfortunate and threw a wrench into the whole thing, forcing the remaining members to make sense of the event. That's where this whole business of Jesus' death having been foretold etc. came in, but IMHO this is not what a) Jesus foretold b) nor was his death in any way in that equation.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
Haven't read anything but the latest post, but in response to the latest post, if we take out Second Coming prophecies, and his death, he still never presents himself as a warrior or redeemer in the way that the Jews were looking for in their Messiah.  He didn't just go along with the program or build upon the Jewish foundation the way everyone expected him to.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »
He said himself to be sitting at the right of God when the Kingdom arrives, no? I read the other day that the term "Kingdom" is a bad translation too, supposedly the term "empire" (without the hierarchical connotation) is better. Sounds a lot like a Messiah-like ruler over the people.
Also, keep in mind the term "INRI" on Jesus' cross.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »
I think I'm somewhere in the middle of where you think I stand, and where I really stand.

Wait, what? How is this possible?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 11:42:54 PM »
Good catch! That made no sense, did it? :lol

You know what I mean though.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 01:59:29 AM »
He said himself to be sitting at the right of God when the Kingdom arrives, no? I read the other day that the term "Kingdom" is a bad translation too, supposedly the term "empire" (without the hierarchical connotation) is better. Sounds a lot like a Messiah-like ruler over the people.

rumborak

I mean, he didn't come in the splendor and might that most of the Jews expected him to come in.  He introduced the idea of the Second Coming which is difficult to extract from Old Testament scriptures on their own.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
I don't think Jesus talked about any Second Coming. Only the First Coming, so to speak.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:51 AM »

rumborak
Kingdom is a bad translation, but empire isn't any better or more accurate (in fact, it's almost the same thing). 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 05:38:43 AM »
I think the point about "empire" was to make more clear the intended, and active reign over it. The term "Kingdom" is much more vague (like in "animal kingdom"), and IMHO facilitates the popular notion that God's Kingdom has nothing to do with Jesus/God directly reigning over it (and thus Jesus not being a Messiah in the Jewish sense).

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
I don't think Jesus talked about any Second Coming. Only the First Coming, so to speak.

rumborak

Well that sure is convenient for you.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
How is it convenient? It doesn't matter to me, one way or the other. I'm just going by what strikes me the most likely based on the passages.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
Something the passages do not say cannot be considered a "likely" interpretation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »
Not taking the bait, bosky.

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »
How is it convenient? It doesn't matter to me, one way or the other. I'm just going by what strikes me the most likely based on the passages.

rumborak
I think we went over once before why your interpretations, neat as they can be, are lacking. Taking all the data into consideration ruins your theory in a hurry.

I don't see this necessarily an allusion to death. He talks about his service to God, and that is something he does while he is *alive*, not when he is dead.
Yeah, I'm still siding with the Bible scholar. Bruce describes the ushering in of the Kingdom as a process that begins with Jesus' ministry and crucifixion and culminates in the final judgement. And that would fit with all the scriptural citations provided thus far, as well as Hef's description of a "not heaven, and a here-right-now-but-not-complete-yet state of being."

That's what his teachings focus on massively in the gospels. He never says "I need to die for this or that reason", that's all stretched reasoning after the uncomfortable fact that he *did* die.
Again, it wasn't meant for a modern audience, and the audience it was meant for wouldn't have understood a "Hey, I'm God and that's why I'm able to die for your sins" kind of message. The references to his divine nature and purpose are there, though they're weaved into the text in a more subtle (as we define it) way. Another interesting point to note is that the skeptics in the earliest days of the church didn't deny that Jesus claimed to be God, which they probably would have done had they thought that Christians had spun his teachings.

Furthermore, the earliest followers wouldn't have continued on with the faith had Jesus' ministry been such a dismal failure. Something had to convince them to follow a crucified Jew from the backwoods of Palestine. Christianity simply wouldn't have survived otherwise. Now just consider for a moment that they were convinced because it was true.   

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 12:41:50 AM »
That's what his teachings focus on massively in the gospels. He never says "I need to die for this or that reason", that's all stretched reasoning after the uncomfortable fact that he *did* die.
Again, it wasn't meant for a modern audience, and the audience it was meant for wouldn't have understood a "Hey, I'm God and that's why I'm able to die for your sins" kind of message.

Why on Earth not? I don't see why a first-century Jew doesn't understand such a simple message. They talk very straightforward all through the gospels, with very (to this day) relatable parables. I think your explanation is a cop-out, to justify the lack of direct evidence of such a central tenet of Christianity.

Another interesting point to note is that the skeptics in the earliest days of the church didn't deny that Jesus claimed to be God, which they probably would have done had they thought that Christians had spun his teachings.

There were many types of interpretations, including some that said Jesus was only divinely "adopted" from his baptism to his death (e.g. the Ebionites). Just because these days there's only one creed remaining doesn't mean that around Jesus' time there weren't many more.

Furthermore, the earliest followers wouldn't have continued on with the faith had Jesus' ministry been such a dismal failure.

Early Christianity experienced very slow growth (if any at all), up until Paul adjusted the basic tenets to draw in more people. In my opinion, the parallels to Harold Camping's 2011 predictions can't be understated. He had a large following up to Doomsday, and then when the day passed, his congregation totally tanked. But it didn't disappear! In October 2011 he still had a small but faithful following, despite the obvious failure of his predictions. Now imagine a follow-up leader who reinterprets the failure, and you got yourself fertile ground for a mass religion.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 12:51:16 AM »
I had a pretty interesting conversation with my dad about Paul over the phone. Basically, his idea is that Paul was a brute and a maniacal killer who was obsessed with wiping out Christians, until one day he woke up and realized he could just pretend to have "seen the light" whilst co-opting the movement.

My dad's got a lot of strange ideas, but I do plan on figure out what he's been reading lately when I go home this Christmas.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
I had a pretty interesting conversation with my dad about Paul over the phone. Basically, his idea is that Paul was a brute and a maniacal killer who was obsessed with wiping out Christians, until one day he woke up and realized he could just pretend to have "seen the light" whilst co-opting the movement.

My dad's got a lot of strange ideas, but I do plan on figure out what he's been reading lately when I go home this Christmas.
People cite Paul's conversion as a big source of evidence for Christianity.  It's not just your dad.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 04:25:05 AM »
Again, it wasn't meant for a modern audience, and the audience it was meant for wouldn't have understood a "Hey, I'm God and that's why I'm able to die for your sins" kind of message.

Why on Earth not? I don't see why a first-century Jew doesn't understand such a simple message. They talk very straightforward all through the gospels, with very (to this day) relatable parables. I think your explanation is a cop-out, to justify the lack of direct evidence of such a central tenet of Christianity.
It seems straightforward to a modern audience, but the parables of Jesus were very subversive and complex and communicated truths that the normal first-century Jew would find extremely challenging.  I think you are making judgements about things for which you lack the proper context.

Another interesting point to note is that the skeptics in the earliest days of the church didn't deny that Jesus claimed to be God, which they probably would have done had they thought that Christians had spun his teachings.

There were many types of interpretations, including some that said Jesus was only divinely "adopted" from his baptism to his death (e.g. the Ebionites). Just because these days there's only one creed remaining doesn't mean that around Jesus' time there weren't many more.
WW isn't talking about different kinds of beliefs, but rather about people who didn't believe that Jesus was divine at all, non-Christians.

Furthermore, the earliest followers wouldn't have continued on with the faith had Jesus' ministry been such a dismal failure.

Early Christianity experienced very slow growth (if any at all), up until Paul adjusted the basic tenets to draw in more people. In my opinion, the parallels to Harold Camping's 2011 predictions can't be understated. He had a large following up to Doomsday, and then when the day passed, his congregation totally tanked. But it didn't disappear! In October 2011 he still had a small but faithful following, despite the obvious failure of his predictions. Now imagine a follow-up leader who reinterprets the failure, and you got yourself fertile ground for a mass religion.

rumborak
It wasn't all that slow.  Paul wasn't the only missionary out there, and Christianity had already spread to Rome before Paul became active.  Paul has a big reputation because he wrote so much and so many of his writings have survived, but even he mentioned other missionaries by name in his writings, and also mentioned other missionaries who taught competing messages to his.  These people believed what they believed for a reason.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »
It wasn't all that slow.  Paul wasn't the only missionary out there, and Christianity had already spread to Rome before Paul became active.  Paul has a big reputation because he wrote so much and so many of his writings have survived...

I don't think this can be emphasized enough.  We know about Paul's work spreading the message of Christianity because he wrote so many letters that survived.  But until late in his life, his primary personal influence seems to be mostly limited to the areas in and around modern-day Turkey and parts of Greece.  You could argue that these were some of the more influential places in the Roman empire in terms of exchange of ideas and information, and that would be fair enough.  But the point is, Paul had very limited influence early on in places like Rome and Palestine, not to mention the rest of the Roman empire and beyond, where the message was already spreading.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »

Because, surprisingly, 2,000 years does something to communication. Words change meaning, entire languages develop. It's crazy.

As hef said, that's a different subject, which you are also wrong about. In terms of dates and independent sources for the life of Jesus, none of the "lost scriptures" come anywhere close to the Canonical Gospels.

Anyway, my point was that orthodox Christianity had many critics, Celsus for example, who would have loved nothing more than to attack the new faith on the grounds that it misinterpreted the words of its founder. We have no evidence of that occurring, and the silence speaks volumes.

rumborak
This reinvention of the faith is precisely what's at issue. I know you think that's what happened, but have suggested it as an explanation with little evidence. There was indeed disagreements between some Jewish Christians and gentile converts over keeping the law. So what? Why does that equate to a complete faith makeover?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »
Reading the Sermon on the Mount again, I'm definitely seeing how the Kingdom of Heaven, at least in Mathew, has real-world applications. Jesus totally seems like he's grooming both the physical and spiritual health of his followers... for this world and the next. He's stressing to his followers how to live in this world, so that they're more spiritually healthy. It seems like what he's getting at is that through his teachings the Kingdom of Heaven can be realized, not through war or rebellion, but through a wide-spread change of attitude in the way people live and act.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
love it, PC.  especially the last sentence.  so on the mark

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2011, 04:19:33 AM »
Yes, that is exactly what he taught.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
Well, glad to hear my readings are on track from two people who's postings on the subject continually serve as one source of inspiration for me to keep at it  :laugh:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
I'm on board with that, Perp.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
And the key is that it can be realized; the kingdom is both here and not yet fully here.  But we can get there.  To borrow a term from Crossan, this is progressive eschatology, which I think is only fitting for this forum.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
I also like the term realized eschatology, which I think reflects the NT teaching as a whole.  the kingdom of the now and the not yet.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
Question: when we see the term "Kingdom of Heaven", does that mean it is a kingdom in heaven or from heaven?

Example: the thirteen colonies were part of the British empire but not in Britain.

I'm still persuaded that God promisied an earthly kingdom centered in Jerusalem, so I think that "Kingdom of Heaven" refers to the kingdom of heaven on earth, if that makes sense.  Like, I hold to the idea that Jesus (and the OT) preached that the earth and not heaven was the location of the saved man's eternal destiny.

This verse sums up my idea:

Quote from: Deuteronomy 12:20-21
20 And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, 21 that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land of which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, like the days of the heavens above the earth.

EDIT: IIRC, didn't the ancient Jews believe in bodily resurrection?  That's why they carried their bones everywhere, right?  It ties in well with my belief in an earthly kingdom.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Question: when we see the term "Kingdom of Heaven", does that mean it is a kingdom in heaven or from heaven?

Neither. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2011, 04:20:15 PM »
What about the parable of the man who went to a far country to fetch a kingdom and bring it back?

aka Jesus going to heaven to recieve the kingdom and bring it to the earth presumably during his second coming