Author Topic: Kimbra (soul/jazz/pop?)  (Read 21443 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Kimbra (soul/jazz/pop?)
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:21 AM »
yeah she does great covers, including Michael Jackson a few years ago.

Also, not her, but this is an amazing cover of Settle Down by Dallas Green of City and Colour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NMEwyIDMLg

the guy has such breathtaking voice (and this is hardly the only example).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
bump.

this is very cool. Art exhibit with work based on songs from The Golden Echo. I can only imagine to see something like this with many other artists and albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c97l_9oxhI

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
I finally got around to listening to this whole album. I got about what I expected based on the first few songs she released.

The two best songs are Teen Heat and Everlovin' Ya, they definitely have their cool aspects and moments, and hold up as songs overall, but every track on Vows still cleans the floor with both. Waltz Me To the Grave also has cool stuff going on in it, but the song around it is meh.

90s Music is still one of the worst songs I can think of by an artist I otherwise enjoy.

The rest is just okay, nothing more, nothing less. A lot of it feels like generic modern pop, at least much more so compared to Vows, especially in its beats, but that could just be because she's gone electronic. A good few songs have lyrics/vocals that map onto the music really awkwardly, with no sense of catchiness or cohesion. Almost every song seems to go for so long. They all feel plodding and slow and, for all their creativity and acrobatics, really devoid of energy and kick.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2015, 01:09:28 AM »
The Golden Echo is definitely on par with Vows for me, but I probably rank Vows as her best for nostalgic reasons. (Being the first album I heard etc)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
well some of The Golden Echo definitely grew on me, especially 90's Music.

I wouldn't describe it as generic really at all, maybe quirky and odd at times.

I do agree with Zantera though about Vows still being a better record overall as some of the slower songs/ballads do hurt the flow and energy of this album, but I guess that is only a percentage.

Goldmine for one I don't feel hurts that at all.

Madhouse as well.

Also Miracle really is at least as catchy as the catchiest tracks on Vows. I'm not sure I prefer it to say Cameo Lover or Two Way Street, but it still has a very strong hook.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »
Golden Echo is my favorite. Vows is still amazing though ya dig? Carolina is my go to feel good jam.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
i got Vows recently and have been listening to it
the new songs on the american version (the one I got) kick the butt of pretty much everything on the original record but i like every song here

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:22 PM »
meh..I guess I beg to differ. For one, the ending works a lot better on the 2011 version. From Limbo to Wandering Limbs to Withdraw to The Build Up, segues incredibly well. And not to forget the fact there is the little bonus/hidden cut after a minute of silence in "Somebody Please."
Also Call Me is awesome, and wasn't included, like Withdraw and Wandering Limbs on the 2012 version.

Also the mix on the 2012 version is different; when it came out, I knew all the identical songs so well, and very much could tell they changed the mix on more or less every track, and frankly, for the worse. The mix is a lot more compressed and louder sounding on songs like Settle Down and Cameo Lover.

The only things on the 2012 version I prefer or am glad they included were the track "Sally I Can See You" which is great; and I'll give the fact the live version of Plain Gold Ring is better than the original studio version she recorded on the 2011 edition.

But all the other different tracks: Posse, Home, Come Into My Head, Warrior, are okay at best, and by Kimbra's standards, not really on par with the other Vows songs.

Something in the Way That You Are is good, although I've come to conclude it's better live (and I still can't get past the fact I always think of the song of the same name by The Reign of Kindo when I see it).

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
Yeah, I enjoy the original much better, mainly due to the end of the album and the songs that got left out on the reissue. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2015, 08:25:12 PM »
man, i just really love Come Into My Head, Sally I Can See You, and Warrior especially

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
Withdraw was one of the best songs on there, for sure.

But all the other different tracks: Posse, Home, Come Into My Head, Warrior, are okay at best, and by Kimbra's standards, not really on par with the other Vows songs.
The ones you listed are literally all the bonus tracks I love as much as, if not more than the original album tracks. Most of those songs are better than about half the album itself, and there were no bad songs in the first place.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
I could do without plain gold ring and good intent, tbh.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2015, 02:21:45 AM »
I love both versions.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:19 AM »
Withdraw was one of the best songs on there, for sure.

The ones you listed are literally all the bonus tracks I love as much as, if not more than the original album tracks. Most of those songs are better than about half the album itself, and there were no bad songs in the first place.

Warrior is a bonus track, but the others are all on the standard 2012 edition.

Warrior maybe in particular, I never cared for, and part of that could be per that guy from Foster the People's involvement. They even made a video for it, lol. I guess I'm not all that into when a Kimbra song sounds like Foster the People, lol.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2015, 04:25:05 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2016, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2017, 05:57:37 AM »
bump.

new album "Primal Heart" is coming in early 2018. Produced by John Congleton.

https://www.kimbramusic.com/

long email when you sign up there has more details.

unlisted studio footage video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQEPU1ekb0U

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
1st single "Everybody Knows" (no apparent connection to the Leonard Cohen tune of the same name)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHCW6nfbosQ

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
Primal Heart coming January 19th.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1303663466?app=itunes

"Top of the World" single
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbUbPKyDYAM/

1  The Good War
2. Top of the World
3. Everybody Knows
4. Like They Do On the TV
5. Recovery
6. Human
7. Lightyears
8. Black Sky
9. Past Love
10. Right Direction
11. Version of Me
12. Real Life

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
Really hyped for this!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Checking out samples of the first 2 records. So far, Vows sounds like something I could really get behind. Struggling with the samples from The Golden Echo so far. Vows reminds me a bit of Esthero's music. Specifically, her Wikkid Lil' Grrrls album. A mish-mash of so many things mixed with amazing vocals. This just made me look up Esthero and I discovered she's been working on a new album. Her last one was amazing.

Anyway, I see myself buying Vows sooner rather than later.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2017, 06:56:57 PM »
I still prefer Vows to The Golden Echo.

Try and find the 2011 version of Vows, or at least make sure it has Withdraw, Call Me and Wandering Limbs.

They really fucked up the 2012 American version, adding inferior tracks, putting in a live version of Plain Gold Ring, and messing with the order of the tracks.

It's pretty universally regarded, the 2011 is better than the 2012. Although "Sally Can I See You" is awesome.

The Golden Echo though is still really good, just different.

Never heard of Esthero, but I'll have to check her out, thanks.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Coming back to my hometown on February 5th (after Superbowl 52 is over)

https://www.thecedar.org/event/1592229?utm_source=MEL&utm_medium=243086

likely a new US Tour as well.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
I still prefer Vows to The Golden Echo.

Try and find the 2011 version of Vows, or at least make sure it has Withdraw, Call Me and Wandering Limbs.

They really fucked up the 2012 American version, adding inferior tracks, putting in a live version of Plain Gold Ring, and messing with the order of the tracks.

It's pretty universally regarded, the 2011 is better than the 2012. Although "Sally Can I See You" is awesome.

The Golden Echo though is still really good, just different.

Never heard of Esthero, but I'll have to check her out, thanks.

I found an International Edition on Amazon. Looks like it's from Australia. It's an 18 track version with the original track order and 6 bonus tracks. Going for $17 new and sold by Amazon. If I pull the trigger, this is the one I will buy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
My 18 track import of Vows arrived today. Listening to it now. Really liking what I'm hearing. Really loving Good Intent. That's already in the running for favorite track.

Since I bought from Amazon they threw in the auto-rip which ended up being the US Deluxe edition. It included the live version of Plain Gold Ring so I technically got a 19 track version since the CD didn't have the live version.

I'll be absorbing this over the coming days while I wait for my first Caligula's Horse disc to arrive. This place has something in common with mp.com, it's draining my wallet.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
lol, yeah it'll do that.

Did the version you got include the Sing Song Studios DVD? a lot of great new arrangements are on there (they're on YouTube as well)

Good Intent is quite moody and yet catchy as many of the songs on Vows are ("Cameo Lover" "Two Way Street" and "Settle Down" I also include among the most addictive and yet accessible).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »
No DVD. I saw there was one out there but the price on them were a bit much. I was looking for the most tracks for the best price and this version did that nicely.

I have listened to the whole thing and there is not a bad song on the album. I keep wanting to put it on so that is a good sign.

I am still unsure of her second album. I keep listening to the samples and it doesn't seem as catchy to me and it seems to also be lacking in real instruments. A bit too much electronics. I'll keep an open mind. Not writing off buying it just yet.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
there are more electronic and experiments done on Golden Echo.

I would say check out a few songs like "Miracle," "Carolina," and "Gold Mine."

my wife whose not into a lot of experimentation and such enjoys "Miracle" especially. It has a real soul and dance side to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1hoMlxQmg

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2017, 05:00:56 AM »
Just been Christmas shopping with my fiancee and someone stopped her and told her she looks just like Kimbra. I didn't really knew who she was but thought I'd heard the name before (turns out it was on here  :lol). Just Googled her and there is a striking resemblance.

That's all I have to add to this thread..

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #172 on: December 25, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
I knew she was a fan and he was of hers, but I guess now Ben Weinmann of The Dillinger Escape Plan is Kimbra's manager, lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc_O9_WjQ_o/

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
bump.

Primal Heart pushed back to April 20th.

long explanation in the email list which includes a new non-album track

Friends of the mailing list.
Kimbra here!
I hope you've all had wonderful holidays with those you love. Now we walk towards our new beginnings in 2018; we celebrate all we gained, mourn for things we lost, adjust to the ever-changing nature of all things & set our sights on a new cycle. I'm excited, are you?!
In the spirit of giving, I wish to update you all on some changes to the path that I will take to release my album. Do not fear, Primal Heart is indeed being released in 2018 but I have a slightly different plan in mind for how it will now roll out and finally, land in your hands..... Bear with me :)
First of all, I have plans to release more music than ever this year and I am so excited by the sheer volume of work I have ready to share (and I mean this month)! So with that in mind, let me provide you with some more context for my decision to reschedule the release date of this full body of work.
Releasing an album has got to be one of the most exciting yet emotionally exhausting endeavours I've ever known. It's like building a relationship with someone you are growing to love; there's a wild cacophony of romance, ambition, expectation, fear, idealism, hope, faith and exertion... As many of us know from experience, perhaps what creates the best environment for a relationship, and the chance for it to grow to it's best potential, is almost always a case of timing. 
In service of the long term relationship I want YOU to build with this album, plus the final tweaks I'd like to make so this music can be released at it's very best, the new album release date will be April 20th!
Do not worry, friends - I have SO much coming for you!!! I will be updating you on the mailing list every couple of weeks leading up to the campaign with music, videos, and not to mention some super exciting projects which will involve YOU, the faithful fan. So stay with me on this journey and just know that this opportunity will give me the chance to release even MORE work for you leading up to this date! It will not only lead you deeper into the album I have been creating but also give me the precious time to build the right space for this record to exist inside.
And yes you heard right, a NEW song & video every month until the record drops, plus much more.... I promise you it will all be worth the wait ;) This new date gives me the chance to go above and beyond for you - to present this album in the final state it deserves to be in (plus the chance to finish some other projects I plan to coincide with its' release)!
Despite the hastening movement toward a culture of singles, playlists and perhaps less need for a full body of work, I am personally still a big believer in the role of the album, and in the artist's journey to see through that vision and stick with it, even when it takes different twists and turns... to wait for the right timing and not lose sight of the grand vision.
I'm so grateful to have a fan base that follows me through my process and trusts me even when that process sometimes changes. And now, to thank you for your support, I want to present something very special to you - a gift from me to you....
There is one song during the making of this record that stuck very closely to my heart. I'd even go as far to say that it was one of my favorites of ALL the songs I wrote for this record, but for various reasons this song didn't make it on the final album. However, I wasn't happy just letting it gather dust, especially as it had been mixed and mastered, and I was so happy with how it turned out..... I knew it was a song my fans would love and for that reason I've been playing it a lot on tour, and will be continuing to do so on the US tour because I have so much fun playing it!
I want to give you this song for free today as a thank you for journeying with me and understanding this brief delay. The song is called "Hi Def Distance Romance." I have attached the lyrics at the bottom of this email for you, so you can go in depth with me. I also have an exciting plan regarding this song which I will share with you very soon (and it just might  involve you! ;) but for now...... Live with the song, marinate in it, extend into the realms of imagination as you soar inside the sounds while you lay in bed with headphones on (best way to listen to music right?) or blast down a highway in a car with it bumping (second best) and I better see you singing along with the lyrics when I hit your city on tour!!!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2018, 07:37:40 AM »
Checked out Kimbra for the first time last night... DAMN! Listened to the top 2 tracks on Spotify then downloaded and listened to Vows. This is good stuff. I heard comparisons to Florence + The Machine - I don't really hear it, but I do like what I hear, so it's a win.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"