Author Topic: "Build Me Up, Break Me Down" is the "You Not Me" of ADTOE  (Read 13424 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: "Build Me Up, Break Me Down" is the "You Not Me" of ADTOE
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Now there's where I draw the line.  It's a great song, but I think the album is filled with vastly superior material.  I am seriously proud of the DT guys for putting out a truly magnificent release.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
BMUBMD is like my 3rd favorite from the album. I think it's DT's best "radio friendly song" in a while. Maybe even better than These Walls. Also, I don't really have a problem with YNM except the chorus. I actually really enjoy YOM though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »
Weird as it is, I prefer YNM to YOM.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 1993ranger

• Sterling JP50 , EBMM JP6 , EBMM BFR 7
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 10:47:56 PM »
the intro sounds like simple plan song. LOL :facepalm:
i'm not paid to be nice

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »

That's not weird. I didn't see YOM as any better. I'd have to listen back, but they're probably about equal to me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
You Or Me is still pretty bad.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 11:21:59 PM »
I love Build Me Up, Break Me Down, but I think it's kind of ironic that in spite its title, this song doesn't have much of a Build Up, or much of a Break Down... And most of all, it doesn't have Me!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »

That's not weird. I didn't see YOM as any better. I'd have to listen back, but they're probably about equal to me.
The primary difference is in the choruses; the songs are basically equivalent with that exception.

To me, the difference is pretty glaring. You Or Me's chorus is groovy and cool; You Not Me's chorus is self-parodying, out of place, and a little nonsensical. It sounds like it was written by an outside writer just for the sake of having a catchy hook because it was.

I wish You Or Me were included on FII rather than You Not Me; the album would have aged astronomically better. I can see it now: a 10-minute live version of You Or Me with an extended instrumental jam.

EDIT: On the topic of the thread, BMU BMD is similar to You Not Me in that both are pretty standard radio rockers. That's really the only similarity they share, and BMUBMD is far better than its FII counterpart.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
I would rather say that:
"Build Me Up, Break Me Down" is the "Caught In A Web" of ADTOE ;) because it's a very good, solid song.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 11:58:25 PM »
BMU BMD
Probably the best "short" song since These Walls, really.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »
In fact, I think I like "You Not Me" more. 

added:

I just think it's a really pointless song.  Musically, it goes nowhere.  Melodically, it's not interesting at all.  The instrumental parts don't add anything to the song.  The riffs are boring....  the rest of the songs are genius and this song doesn't deserve to be on the same album.  It sounds like a Train of Thought demo that didn't make it or something.  I really hate it.  But, it's all opinion, like I said.

i completely agree with you. i suspect it was the label's idea to add this track to balance the album off. it's more similar in kind and structure to the type of songs has placed on the past couple albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 12:10:57 AM »

added:

I just think it's a really pointless song.  Musically, it goes nowhere.  Melodically, it's not interesting at all.  The instrumental parts don't add anything to the song.  The riffs are boring....  the rest of the songs are genius and this song doesn't deserve to be on the same album.  It sounds like a Train of Thought demo that didn't make it or something.  I really hate it.  But, it's all opinion, like I said.

i completely agree with you. i suspect it was the label's idea to add this track to balance the album off. it's more similar in kind and structure to the type of songs has placed on the past couple albums.

I doubt that. DT has had a single for almost every album

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 12:14:15 AM »
BMUBMD is good, and I also like You Not Me more than most people do.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »

added:

build me up isn't the single on the album though

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:17 AM »

added:

God in heaven help me!  Why did I click on this thread!?  It burns!  IT BUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNS!!!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline darkshade

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »

added:

build me up isn't the single on the album though

I meant more that they always have at least one song written that would be something you could hear on the radio.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 12:34:53 AM »
Top 3 on the album for me. I really like the intro too, but I guess a few tr00 prawg fans hate anything with electronic drum sounds (not talking about anyone in particular, so assume it's not you)
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 01:18:04 AM »
BMUBMD is my least favorite song on the new album but I like it nonetheless. Can't say the same for YNM.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 02:04:46 AM »
It's one of the best songs on the album and it fits perfectly. I love it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »
I feel like it's out of place between On the Backs of Angels and Lost not forgotten. On the Backs of Angels says "DT are back..." and Lost not forgotten says "..and they're proggier than ever". Build me up, brake me down sounds like a Nu-Metal homage, the same way songs like I walk besides you or Solitary Shell are homages. Placing it between the album opener and the album's first tour de force song puts me off.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 03:26:47 AM »
Lets change the title to ''Build me up, break me down appreciation thread''  ;D  :metal

I personally love it, certainly one of my favorite radio friendly songs of theirs. The screams are so much fun, chorus is infectious, the riffs rock, and that little unison -  :hefdaddy 

Offline Nofire

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »
I love BMUBMD as well. I actually think the electronic drums sound really good, and I don't see why it would be a "threat" to the progressiveness of DT. To me, being progressive means to make progress and move forward in the way you do things and not being afraid to experiment with different sounds. For example Jordan going wild with his iPad apps or MM adding electronic drums.

On a personal note, I also find it interesting when people who claim to be fans of progressive music bitch about their favorite progressive bands adding "modern" instrumentation and make songs that you don't need to pay full attention to in order to enjoy (what some might call radio friendly). I'm not referring directly to anything I've read here. It's more from discussions I've had with other fans of progressive music.

Funnily enough, it's almost more progressive for DT to make a 3-minute pop song, an area of music that they haven't really explored, than a 3-minute insane instrumental section, which they have done a lot. And yes, feel free to throw shit at me for saying that  :yarr

Sorry for going a little off topic. I'll just end with saying that 4.00-4.20 in BMUBMD sounds like Dream Theater marrying Rammstein  :metal
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 04:28:20 AM »
Half time riff near the end.

All I'm saying.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 04:44:01 AM »
Huh.  I noticed there were a lot of people in bosk1's ADToE vs. IW song by song thread who put Build Me Up, Break Me Down as their least favorite track off of those two albums, so I admit that I had the same thought as the OP here, that it was getting the You Not Me reception from fans.

I quite like BMU/BMD, so I was disappointed by that.  I'd hate it if they did a whole album that sounded like that, but one song?  Love it.  It's a nice change of pace, and I like the groove.

Offline farsight

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:08 AM »
I think the song is pretty boring, I think JP could have done much better on the chorus riff, the outro may be the best one in the album though. BMU, BMD is still a bit better than YNM, but I get the comparison in that its a radio friendly song and the second track in the album.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:39 AM »
It reminds me very much of Rammstein when the vocals aren't there. It's a nice heavy song that kind of feels out of place on an album full of proggy goodness, but I like it nonetheless.

And the string outro is fucking sweet.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »
I agree with Snake Eyes as to the relation of BMUBMD to the album.  I think it is the YNM of ADTOE, in that it is easily and without question the worst song on the album, IMHO.  In fact, I am really surprised that so many of you like it so much.

Having said all that, it's a better song than YNM by a wide margin.  But it is still 9th out of 9.  And I totally get where he's coming from.  On an album full of interesting music, there isn't much that is all that interesting about this song.  That doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it is kind of non-relevant for me.  Kind of like Forsaken.  There is nothing DT about that song, either.

Opinions lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SupermanJLU

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:43 AM »
This

Build Me Up, Break Me Down >>>>>>>> You Not Me

Offline Liberation

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »
I agree with Snake Eyes as to the relation of BMUBMD to the album.  I think it is the YNM of ADTOE, in that it is easily and without question the worst song on the album, IMHO.  In fact, I am really surprised that so many of you like it so much.

Having said all that, it's a better song than YNM by a wide margin.  But it is still 9th out of 9.  And I totally get where he's coming from.  On an album full of interesting music, there isn't much that is all that interesting about this song.  That doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it is kind of non-relevant for me.  Kind of like Forsaken.  There is nothing DT about that song, either.

Opinions lol
It's not "easily and without question the worst". It has the same rights as every other song on the album, and it's not any less DT. That they explore new territory (which is always a good thing) doesn't mean it's not DT - and unlike A Rite of Passage, which was a cool but rather predictable and not very original heavy/prog metal song, Build Me Up, Break Me Down is quite unique and remarkable.

And it is a much more straightforward song than most on the album because it doesn't contain any technical/solo parts, but it's in no way simplistic or uninteresting. There's a LOT of awesome detail in the song and they clearly put far more effort into it than "let's just make a modern metal single".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 08:16:49 AM »
It's not "easily and without question the worst".
Thanks for not reading the very next thing I posted, "IMHO."

It has the same rights as every other song on the album
I have no idea what this means.

and it's not any less DT.
It is to me.  There is nothing distinctively DT about it.  It is a song (again, like I mentioned, like Forsaken) that could have been done by anyone.  Specifically, this song sounds like it could have been on one of JLB's last two solo albums.  Both of which I love, but if I want to hear that, I will listen to them.  When I want DT, I want something different.

That they explore new territory (which is always a good thing) doesn't mean it's not DT - and unlike A Rite of Passage, which was a cool but rather predictable and not very original heavy/prog metal song, Build Me Up, Break Me Down is quite unique and remarkable.
I see nothing unique or remarkable, and I see no new territory.

And it is a much more straightforward song than most on the album because it doesn't contain any technical/solo parts, but it's in no way simplistic or uninteresting. There's a LOT of awesome detail in the song and they clearly put far more effort into it than "let's just make a modern metal single".
I didn't say it was simplistic and there was no detail, and I didn't accuse them of putting no effort into it or accusing them of trying to make a modern metal single.  What are you talking about?  Why are you putting words in my mouth?  Why are you working so hard to debate me on this?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18:04 AM »
I feel like it's out of place between On the Backs of Angels and Lost not forgotten. On the Backs of Angels says "DT are back..." and Lost not forgotten says "..and they're proggier than ever". Build me up, brake me down sounds like a Nu-Metal homage, the same way songs like I walk besides you or Solitary Shell are homages. Placing it between the album opener and the album's first tour de force song puts me off.

This I agree with. While even this song is growing on me, it doesn't really help the flow of the album. It feels like it was placed there because someone decided the second track had to be "kikass brootal", which sort of interrupts the whole epic proggy feel of things.

But it's NOT as bad as YNM.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »

It is to me.  There is nothing distinctively DT about it.  It is a song (again, like I mentioned, like Forsaken) that could have been done by anyone.  Specifically, this song sounds like it could have been on one of JLB's last two solo albums.  Both of which I love, but if I want to hear that, I will listen to them.  When I want DT, I want something different.

That they explore new territory (which is always a good thing) doesn't mean it's not DT - and unlike A Rite of Passage, which was a cool but rather predictable and not very original heavy/prog metal song, Build Me Up, Break Me Down is quite unique and remarkable.

I didn't say it was simplistic and there was no detail, and I didn't accuse them of putting no effort into it or accusing them of trying to make a modern metal single.  What are you talking about?  Why are you putting words in my mouth?  Why are you working so hard to debate me on this?
I tried my best to write a nice post but if you're just getting aggressive on me for no apparent reason, I give up already at this point.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
I don't get the hate with YNM.  :huh:

I get the lyrics are kinda meh, but the song is pretty damn good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »

I tried my best to write a nice post but if you're just getting aggressive on me for no apparent reason, I give up already at this point.
???  I wasn't being aggressive.  I was attempting to discuss this with you, since you apparently wanted to discuss it with me.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »
You Not Me is much better. BMUBMD sometimes makes me feel like I'm listening to some Linking Park song.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:48:32 AM by Jarzombek »