Author Topic: Star Trek 1 - 6 VS Star Wars IV - III  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Star Trek 1 - 6 VS Star Wars IV - III
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:18:43 AM »
So, there are now 6 Star Wars films and 6 TOS Star Trek films.

This might not be as one-sided as people expect...

1. The Motion Picture vs A New Hope. I don't mind A New Hope, and I watched TMP again recently and it's really not that bad.

2.Wrath Of Khan vs Empire Strikes Back. Tough one ? I gotta go with Khan. It just blew me away when I was younger. Reason I love trek now.

3.Search For Spock vs Return Of The Jedi. Search for Spock is very weak. Almost a feature length episode. Jedi maybe worst of the original trilogy?

4.The Voyage Home vs Phantom Menace. No Contest here surely ? One of the best Star Trek movies vs one of the worst Star Wars movies.

5.Final Frontier vs. Attack Of The Clones ... Meh...  :laugh:

6.Undiscovered Country vs Revenge Of The Sith. Gotta go with TUC. Nick Meyer on directing duty. Klingons quoting shakespeare. Starship battles. David Warner. A good old fashioned whodunnit. What's not to love ?

Appendix : Clone Wars VS Star Trek 2009  ;D JJ Abrams you genius. ( Jus Sayin' )

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek 1 - 6 VS Star Wars IV - III
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:55 AM »
1. The Motion Picture vs A New Hope - lol. A New Hope by miles

2.Wrath Of Khan vs Empire Strikes Back - TWOK? Both good to me

3.Search For Spock vs Return Of The Jedi - Search for Spock is ok, but ROTJ is better.

4.The Voyage Home vs Phantom Menace - TVH easily

5.Final Frontier vs. Attack Of The Clones - AOTC. ATOC has some redeeming qualities. TFF is just garbage.

6.Undiscovered Country vs Revenge Of The Sith - TUC. One of my favourite Trek movies.

I think the original Star Wars movies reach much higher peaks than any of the TOS cast Trek movies, but episodes 1/2/3 are pretty unwatchable. So maybe Trek for consistency (and they're not even that consistent), but SW for best individual movies for 4/5/6.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
I think the original Star Wars movies reach much higher peaks than any of the TOS cast Trek movies, but episodes 1/2/3 are pretty unwatchable. So maybe Trek for consistency (and they're not even that consistent), but SW for best individual movies for 4/5/6.
I'll go with that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:43:18 AM »
I watched all three "odd" star trek films recently and have to say that Motion PIcture really isn't that bad, it's mostly plot. It's a good idea and was probably awesome at the time.

Search for Spock is just ok. Probably worse as far as plot and execution. They go to get spock. They get him. Thats the entire plot in a nutshell.

Final Frontier tries to be as light hearted as Voyage Home but is just tacky and badly executed, although I did enjoy it more than I thought I would.

I also think that The Odd numbered movies get worse every time :  Motion Picture > Search For Spock > Final Frontier.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »

I don't think Trek has had any out-and-out universally panned stinkers as bad as Phantom Menace. The Motion Picture is just dated and even Final Frontier is funny and tongue-in-cheek, and did the best it could with the budget so it can't be 100% hated. ( imo )

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »

I don't think Trek has had any out-and-out universally panned stinkers as bad as Phantom Menace. The Motion Picture is just dated and even Final Frontier is funny and tongue-in-cheek, and did the best it could with the budget so it can't be 100% hated. ( imo )

I think TFF is pretty hated. It's the only one of the 6 originals I'd call terrible though.
TMP was slow and a bit boring, but perfectly watchable, and The Search For Spock isn't that bad at all, just not great.

None of them are as bad as The Phantom Menace though. Not even The Final Frontier.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
I'm a doctor not a film critic dammit

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
If you watched The Motion Picture, Search For Spock & Final Frontier back to back - i'm pretty sure you'ld have more fun

than if you watched Phantom Menace, Attack of The Clones & Revenge Of The Sith back to back.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
If you watched The Motion Picture, Search For Spock & Final Frontier back to back - i'm pretty sure you'ld have more fun

than if you watched Phantom Menace, Attack of The Clones & Revenge Of The Sith back to back.
Speak for yourself.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
 :) No........the younglings.........this is terrible ?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »
Fun idea:

New Hope vs. TMP: Hands down, New Hope

Khan vs. Empire: Khan, by a hair

Jedi vs. Spock: Jedi, pretty easily

Home vs. Menace: Voyage Home, clearly

Clones vs. Frontier: Clones

TUC vs. ROTS: Undiscovered Country

So, it's pretty much even. Huh, how about that?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
Holy crap, this is tough, I have loved both franchises for decades and have watched these collectively countless times.

A New Hope vs TMP: A New Hope, far margin. Never liked TMP much.
Empire vs Khan: mmmm... Sophie's Choice. Khan. It is my favorite movie.
Jedi vs Spock: Jedi. Both had so much untapped/lost potential. I liked Jedi as a kid much more.
Menace vs Voyage Home: Voyage Home, Fun movie, and of course nothing could have lived up to the hype of Ep1. But TPM could have at least tried to come close.
Clones vs. Frontier: Clones, I like AotC more than most, but I think my expectations were so low after TPM. TFF had potential and a few good scenes, but seems aimless.
ROTS vs TUC: Undiscovered Country, much more satisfying conclusion to the saga. And a great movie in and of itself, overlooked too often. RotS has some great moments though.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »
OK, here goes...

A New Hope vs TMP- A New Hope, by a hair, I love TMP, it was written by one of my favorite authors, Alan Dean Foster, and it is told very much in his style.
Empire vs Kahn0- Empire, hands down.
Jedi vs Spock- Jedi, would be a landslide if it wasn't for the fucking Ewocks, god I fucking hated those little furballs.  Give me an industrial blender and an Ewock and I'll have some fun, feet first style.
Menace vs The Voyage Home- Voyage Home, Mecace was an afterbirth of a movie.
Clones vs Frontier- Going with frontier, but a bit closer.\
ROTS vs TUC- ROTS, with the exception of the love scenes and general cheesiness, I loved this flick.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:23:39 AM »
I'll go with that.
Yep, I totally agree.  :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
Fun idea:

New Hope vs. TMP: Hands down, New Hope

Khan vs. Empire: Khan, by a hair

Jedi vs. Spock: Jedi, pretty easily

Home vs. Menace: Voyage Home, clearly

Clones vs. Frontier: Clones

TUC vs. ROTS: Undiscovered Country

So, it's pretty much even. Huh, how about that?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:50 AM »
I'll go with that.

Agreed.  The only competition the original Star Wars Trilogy has from Trek is WoK.  TUC and TVH destroy the prequels though.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »
I've never really liked comparing the invididual movies to each other, then seeing which "team" has the most "wins".  That doesn't make any sense to me.  If it's ST vs SW, consider the entire bodies of work as a whole, one versus the other.

In which case I give it to ST for overall consistency, but SW for scope.  SW had higher highs but also lower lows.  ST was bounded by the premises of the original series.  Sure, they transcended a lot of that, but there was still a limitation to what they could introduce and still have it work within the context of Star Trek.  Star Wars could do whatever.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »