Author Topic: Metal/Rock concerts -- too loud?  (Read 12113 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Metal/Rock concerts -- too loud?
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »
H - No sympathy here. Wear earplugs. Always. I have tinitus (look it up, although you likely know what it is), completely due to being a jackass in 2000 and not wearing earplugs. Thanks to Jesse James Dupree (Jackyl) who was opening for Queensryche, and his overly loud amp, I have hearing damage.

I wore earplugs from then on out. Yes, it muddies the sound, but you can spend some cash and get special ones that fit you perfectly and filter out the damaging noise.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
One easy solution if you find concerts to be too loud and you don't want to use ear protection... don't go.  Don't want to sound like a dick.  Just saying.  I agree that a lot of them are probably way too loud.  Personally, I've stood next to one (or 20) too many speaker stacks.  Now, I never go to a show without ear plugs.  I've never had a problem with them.

Plus, to me, the sound (albeit a major one) is only one aspect of the show.  There's the visuals and the atmosphere.  Watching a live show can be an absolutely awesome experience.  And, it's something I've already been able to share with me 4-year old (3, at the time) daughter.  My wife and I took her to see TSO last December.  And, she sat there with her big hot pink earphones on totally entranced with the show.  Her first question when the band started their first song...  "Daddy, is this The Beatles?"  Classic!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
I'd say if you are old it's too loud for you. I love it!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »
Yes, they're too loud.  There's a point of diminishing returns, where increasing the volume doesn't increase the enjoyment of the experience.  And 99% of concerts are way over that line, IMO. 

As of the "if it's too loud, you're too old" attitude:  In 25 years I hope to still be enjoying concerts, while you young whippersnappers are sitting around bitching about the ringing in your ears.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
I can't hear silence anymore. It sucks, I really miss laying and hearing a quiet room.

Same here, also due to not wearing earplugs at most of my own gigs (i played in a death metal band)

If it's too loud, you're too old.

I'm 19 for fucks sake
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »
YOU'RE TOO OLD FUZZBOY YOU'RE ALL WASHED UP
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ironrain

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »
Too loud. I wear custom made earplugs. Loudest band I ever heard was Melt Banana at the Black Cat in Washington DC.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
Too loud. I wear custom made earplugs. Loudest band I ever heard was Melt Banana at the Black Cat in Washington DC.
Holy shit? Melt-Banana are awesome.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hearos-high-fidelity-series-long-term-earplugs/585452000000000

Use these at concerts.  I use these for band practices, and live gigs and concerts.  They are great, you hear everything very clearly.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »
The Dream Theater concert at the Orpheum Theater in Boston was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY RUINED by excessive volume.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
I was at that show!  It sounded fine with the above mentioned earplugs I swear.  And I promise I don't work for that company, I just really like that product and any concert goer/musician should have a pair or something better.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »
i've had mine for a year and a few months. should i replace them with new ones? what do you think?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
I hear Sunn O))) live are pretty loud.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
In my experience, they haven't been too loud.  What is too loud is hundreds of people screaming at the top of their lungs, or even just one person capable of reaching inhuman volumes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hearos-high-fidelity-series-long-term-earplugs/585452000000000

Use these at concerts.  I use these for band practices, and live gigs and concerts.  They are great, you hear everything very clearly.
Just bought a pair. My band practices stupidly loud, so these should help. I'll report back when they arrive.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
I've had mine for over a year and they still work fine.  You can also clean them by taking the plastic bud off.  So I figure just keep using the same pair until they just don't work anymore for some reason, or you lose them lol.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
The Dream Theater concert at the Orpheum Theater in Boston was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY RUINED by excessive volume.

Every Dream Theater concert at the Orpheum Theater is totally ruined by the fact that Dream Theater is playing at the Orpheum Theater. The venue has the worst acoustics I have experienced so far. I fucking hate that they always play there.

@OP: Yes, they're usually too loud. Bose needs to bring out "concert headphones", that would be the bomb.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Just kidding, I hate rock concerts. Lately all I can really stand is the small club type thing.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »
Another live pet peeve of mine is the stereo image. So, you got this moron mixer in the perfect middle of the venue, and he mixes for himself an awesome stereo image. You know, really wide and spacious. What that means for the rest of the venue is that you either only hear guitar, or only bass, because you're standing closer to one side than the other.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
I've never had that problem, actually. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »
Yeah I can't say that I have had that problem either.  Even when I am more to one side of the venue the sound is usually pretty good for me.  A bad mix on the other hand...

Actually my one problem with the DT show I just went to was that it was actually too quiet at the start.  BITS was so quiet that I thought it lost all effectiveness as a song.  It just didn't sound right.  Also, if the concert is too quiet, its really hard to get into the music for me.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
The DT show at Royal Oak was perfect, volume wise. The mix could have used some tweaking though. The bass was very quiet, and the keyboards seemed a bit lacking when Jordan wasn't soloing.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 03:23:16 AM »
The evolution of a concert goer's view of volume....

:o

:omg:

:metal

:frank:

:getoffmylawn:

:tick: