Lock 'em up?

Yes
4 (20%)
No
10 (50%)
WTF?
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Keeping Destructive House Cats In Cages  (Read 834 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Keeping Destructive House Cats In Cages
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »
I've been watching my mom's 2 cat's for almost a year now, and my girlfriend hates them because of how destructive they are, i.e. scratching the furniture, puking on the floor occasionally, and because they fight with my cat, Pearl. As much as it's a pain that these things happen, I think it's down right ridiculous to put cats in cages regardless of what they're doing (SPCA/Pound excluded from argument). First she suggested just locking them up at night, but I still think that's absurd. Now she wants them locked up permanently. Fucking ridonkulous, I say. THEY'RE CATS!

Your opinions?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Keeping Destructive House Cats In Cages
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
Earlier this year when I had a cat, he would run around my room at night and make all kinds of noise. I don't care what anyone says, you can discipline a cat. I did, and that cat would be quiet during the night once he realized that it was cage time if he made noise.

I would only lock him up at night when I went to bed and then released him in the morning so he could do whatever. His cage was big enough so that he could move around, and his eating/pooping schedule adjusted so that there were no issues with being put in a cage. Eventually I got him away from having to be in there. (My discipline also included picking him up by the skin of his neck if he did something wrong...he turned into a very loving and well-behaved cat, I miss him)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
You're supposed to agree with me, butt sniffer!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
Sorry, pussy comes first.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »
Bros before hoes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
I totally agree with you Zook, caging a cat is fucking rediculous.  If anything, put them outside at night.  Cats are very nocturnal and love the night.  I would never, ever cage a cat.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
I wouldn't do it, but then again my cats don't have the same behavioral issues. As for the outside thing, I am torn about that.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:06 PM »
My cats aren't allowed outside, it's too dangerous. Although Pearl was a stray we took in, but it's obvious she was dumped by her previous owners.

Offline Deadpool

• Formerly CountVoorhees
  • KrotchRaut Rules!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 04:46:14 AM »
Are you fucking kidding me? I love cats.

I fucking hate humans.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
Yeah, they love the night. I eventually let my cat loose at night and he would meow at my window the next morning to let him in so he could chill

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
As much as I love cats, I don't automatically love all cats that come into my house, and if we had a cat that was destroying furniture, puking on the floor, etc., I'd just get rid of it.  I'm sorry, but at that point it's not even a domesticated animal, it's by definition at least partly wild.  Not in my house.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
Of course the other option was getting rid of the cats but there's no place for them to go, no  one to take them in. My mom didn't exactly train them properly, but just because they have some bad habits doesn't mean they might as well be wild. The puking let up mostly since we started feeding them less. The main thing is the uncooperation from my girlfriend because since the cats aren't hers, they aren't her responsability. Also, all the cats know how to use the scratch post, they're just stubborn fucks.

Another complaint is the fact that the house can smell from the litter boxes, and I do my best to keep up with it, but a little help from her wouldn't hurt. She helps occasionally, but I had to fight with her a bunch just to get some help finally. So aside from her couch being fucked up, the bitching is all unwarranted. That's why I think the cage idea is idiotic, and putting them in cages isn't going to teach them to stop fighting either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
I'd say no to cages, but yes to keeping them containted in one room or something when people are over.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges