Author Topic: Frameshift appreciation  (Read 4275 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Frameshift appreciation
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »
Just got Unweaving the Rainbow and In Absence of Empathy a few weeks ago.  Holy shit!  How did I miss this for the last 8 years?  Man, James had quite a run from 2003-2005.  Train of Thought and Unweaving the Rainbow in '03; The Human Equation in '04, then Elements and Octavarium in '05.  Vocally, James is just spectacular on this disc.  As good as ever.

I've seen a few people mention this disc (Unweaving the Rainbow), and thankfully I stumbled on to them with the mis-representation of a few places quoting the lyrics from River out of Eden as the lyrics for Far From Heaven.  The music is fairly progressive and experimental - not that heavy... reminds me of 70s Yes.  Unweaving the Rainbow is available on the iTunes store.  Anyone who hasn't heard it should check out the 90 second samples (particularly The Gene Machine and Nice Guys Finish First - I love his vocal harmonies)

In Absence of Empathy (with Sebastian Bach) however is much heavier.  Bach hasn't sounded this good in forever.  I always was a big Skid Row fan, so listening to Bach return to such splendid form is almost chubby-inducing.

Frameshift & Sebastian Bach Studio Log - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_vd358cb4
Frameshift, Miseducation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aFzEG9bBI8

I've been trying to find a way to get Loading Oakfield, but can't find a place to buy it online.  Anyone have it?  Or know where to get it?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Frameshift appreciation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
I'm the biggest Henning Pauly fanboy here at DTF.  If you like Unweaving the Rainbow, check out Babysteps.  It also has JLB playing the part of a cocky doctor, with other singers playing other parts.  JLB slays on that album.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »
I'm the biggest Henning Pauly fanboy here at DTF.  If you like Unweaving the Rainbow, check out Babysteps.  It also has JLB playing the part of a cocky doctor, with other singers playing other parts.  JLB slays on that album.

O RLY?  How much of the album is JLB on?

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
He plays one of 3 main characters, so about 1/3rd of the album.  Everything about that album is good though, and one song in particular might be JLB's best performance on an album in a long time.

That Loading Oakfield album is a bitch to find, it's not on their webpage or their labels page.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Who are the other vocalists?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
He plays one of 3 main characters, so about 1/3rd of the album.  Everything about that album is good though, and one song in particular might be JLB's best performance on an album in a long time.

Cool.  I guess I need to check it out.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »

Jody Ashworth - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Matt Cash - other Henning Pauly projects
Michael Sadler - SAGA (only one song IIRC)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:30 PM »

Jody Ashworth - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Matt Cash - other Henning Pauly projects
Michael Sadler - SAGA (only one song IIRC)

Thank you, sir. Sounds interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
I just picked up the signed edition during that August sale. 

I was aware of Unweaving when it came out and in this case I probably took the waiting for a good deal part a little too far, but better late than never I guess. 

I like this a lot though I've only listened to it a handful of times since I've gotten it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »
Frameshift was really a pleasant surprise. Unweaving the rainbow is very solid. I love River out of Eden.  :heart

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
My favourite is "La Mer" for some reason, especially when the band kicks in, really powerful. 

I'm indifferent to the second Frameshift so I don't really have anything to say about it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »
Unweaving the Rainbow is a great album

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:39:17 AM »
Unweaving the Rainbow is probably one of the worst albums I've ever actually spent money on.  So disappointing.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
Unweaving the Rainbow is probably one of the worst albums I've ever actually spent money on.  So disappointing.

??? WTF ???

Are you sure you didn't put your Madonna CD in Frameshift by accident?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:40:56 AM by DTVT »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »

???WTF???

Are you sure you didn't put your Madonna CD in Frameshift by accident?

Yeah, no kidding.  That was certainly unexpected in an 'appreciation' thread. 

Are you sure you're doing it right?  If it's Metal you want, try the second album ... it's much heavier.  Not sure if/where you can find samples anywhere.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »

Wow, you are so fortunate to have such good experiences buying music! 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »

I don't get why people have to come into a specified "appreciation" thread and say crap like this.  You're a real hero.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
both discs are great.........james and bach are both on fire on their respective discs.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Alright---to rephrase:

If I were to happen to take UTR out of my "shit albums that I actually bought" drawer, what should I be looking for when I listen to it?  So far it has an incredibly cheesy story and lyrics, music that lacks any punch whatsoever considering that it's in the prog metal vein, and some really terrible vocal melodies.

ED: I will admit that I've had relatively good luck when it comes to blind purchases, and I'm sure there are much worse albums out there that I could have thrown money at.

ED2: CD is still partly worth it as it has JLB's autograph (and Pauly's, though I don't really care about that one).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:32:52 AM by MetalManiac666 »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »
Rephrasing doesn't change the fact that you've come into a clearly-marked "appreciation" thread and taken a dump in it.  If it were a "what do you think of Frameshift" then no problem, but you're way out of line with your initial post and your next one doesn't fix anything.

It's all about context and respect, you are way out of context and shown no respect for the thread or those who post their appreciation in it.

I've said my peace, I hope you'll think twice next time, I'm sure you wouldn't want people "doing unto you" like that.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »
Alright, cool.  I'll be sure to never give the album another attempt ever again.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
Lighten up ladies.  As the OP'r, I'm not bothered.  I just wanted to get a Frameshift discussion underway.

MM, perhaps you've gone wrong by expecting it to be Prog metal.  Arms Races and Cultural Genetics are the only tracks that have anything heavy about them.   So, with that expectation I can understand your disappointment.   Also, while the songs have a related theme, I'd hardly call it a story-line concept album. 

What *I* like about UTR is the diversity ... some pop-rock sounds, ballads, vocal harmonies, prog rock, some heaviness, variety of instrumentation and sounds and more.  A lot of experimentation here.  I get that's not for everyone.  If you want more metal, as I said, In Absence of Empathy is that.

But, in the end, to each their own. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »
I like how colorful the album is. It has a good vibe and atmosphere.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
What *I* like about UTR is the diversity ... some pop-rock sounds, ballads, vocal harmonies, prog rock, some heaviness, variety of instrumentation and sounds and more.  A lot of experimentation here.

And I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind for when I do eventually go back to it.  Thanks.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »
Necro time!

Henning shared a live version of Push the Button with the vocalist that is on F4 which is not yet released - Adrian O'Shaughnessy. It's pretty fucking great.
https://soundcloud.com/henning-pauly/frameshift-live-push-the

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
Necro time!

Henning shared a live version of Push the Button with the vocalist that is on F4 which is not yet released - Adrian O'Shaughnessy. It's pretty fucking great.
https://soundcloud.com/henning-pauly/frameshift-live-push-the

Unfortunately, there won't an official release any time soon due to lack of label/money basically.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 01:32:35 AM »
... that is on F4 which is not yet released ...

When you talk about F4 is there a Frameshift 3 that I don't know about or am I reading it wrong?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:34 AM »
There is, but it has the same fate as F4 as far as I remember. Both albums are recorded and good to go, there's just no funding from a label behind any of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAo1wgtT0y8 Small teaser in the beginning of this interview.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 02:13:59 AM »
ah, okay, thank you for the information.

Shame that this isn't released in some form, the first two records are great and I wouldn't mind getting more from Henning.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D