Author Topic: Joseph's Top 50 Albums!!  (Read 11025 times)

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
Re: Joseph's Top 50 Albums!!
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
UPDATE:

8. Protest The Hero- Fortress

Fortress is, at it's most basic, what I would call a Prog shred album. Fast paced, intricate riffing and leadwork is interspersed with Rody Walker's incredible vocals using his spectacular range and voice. The thing that makes this album really stand out though is that every musician on here is performing at their absolute high point and to the best of their abilities. You can really hear how much creativity went into giving every instrument parts where they would really shine (Sequioa Throne comes to mind) and how interesting they make all of these parts sound and stand out. This album is a MUST for anyone into bands like The Human Abstract, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, etc and really anyone interested in some great proggy shred with excellent vocals.

Favorite Songs: The Dissentience, Sequoia Throne, Wretch

And this is where I will probably lose any credibility  :P

7. Dream Theater- Train Of Thought

The first that's probably coming to your mind right now is probably "TOT, WHAT THE FUCK?" but yes, I absolutely LOVE this album. It was the first DT album I ever really got into. I remember laying in bed at like 4 AM just thinking "Eh, I'll give Dream Theater a try for once" and listening to it through my headphones in the dark, having my mind absolutely blown. This is typically considered DT's heaviest album (And, as you should know, this is a very metal list and I am a very metal guy) but it's got some of the greatest riffs, clean parts and solos Petrucci has ever written in my opinion. Stuff like the opening and main riffs in 'Endless Sacrifice', Every riff and the solo of 'In The Name Of God', the main riff in As I Am, and the chorus in 'Honor Thy Father' are some of my absolute favorite Dream Theater moments ever. I also really believe that this is a very overlooked album becaue it seems like most hardcore DT fans just hear a generic metal album and write it off as such but I feel like it contains some of the most incredible parts they've written.

Favorite Songs: All of them

By the way, are my write ups a little more entertaining now?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »
Nothing terribly wrong with "first album" love, I rank FII higher than most people because of it.

But you're terribly wrong, unless the top six are all DT, and even then you're still slightly wrong  :biggrin:

Better write ups though.  I actually now have an inkling what to expect from Protest the Hero.

Kosmo

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
I hate As I Am so much and I don't know why, other then that ToT is a great great grrreat album.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
Nothing terribly wrong with "first album" love, I rank FII higher than most people because of it.

But you're terribly wrong, unless the top six are all DT, and even then you're still slightly wrong  :biggrin:

Better write ups though.  I actually now have an inkling what to expect from Protest the Hero.
Nope, all the rest are different bands. I still think TOT has some of the greatest riffs though and I probably will for a while  :biggrin: It's staying in my top 10 for sure.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
Protest The Hero seems to be a very talented band. I'm not a fan of cookie monster growls at all for the most part so that throws me a good bit when the singer switches it up on a dime. I'll have to delve into their stuff a little more to get a true feel but I liked Sequoia Throne quite a bit.

I do feel TOT is underrated in the DT catalog and I really like it myself.  :tup

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
Protest The Hero seems to be a very talented band. I'm not a fan of cookie monster growls at all for the most part so that throws me a good bit when the singer switches it up on a dime. I'll have to delve into their stuff a little more to get a true feel but I liked Sequoia Throne quite a bit.

I do feel TOT is underrated in the DT catalog and I really like it myself.  :tup
Protest the Hero's new album Scurrilous has almost no harsh vocals, so although I don't like it as much as Fortress it might be a good place to start

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with TOT, it's a great album!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
ToT is in my Top 50.  Fantastic disc.

And yes, better writeups.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
I thought you can't use EP's?  I mean I like Red Sea Fire,

There's no official rules to these lists, only Nick's quasi-official album of the year thread.  I don't see the harm in including an EP.  EP's make up about 1% of the music market, it's not like including them will cause the Sun to collapse or anything.
Ah okay, I just saw in some threads people looking down on using EP's.  I might have to rework my list a little bit now  ;D

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
ToT is awesome!

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »
Woo! More love for ToT!

6. Periphery- Periphery

Periphery is one of those extremely innovative bands that after they get a little popularity, everyone starts copying. As I mentioned earlier, they're the main band that propelled the whole 'djent' thing to popularity in the underground metal scene but not for no reason. Periphery is an extremely talented band, both technically and even more so, as composers. Misha Mansoor, the main person responsible behind Periphery writes up and incredible mix of heavy technical progressive metal on here with some serious influence from SikTh, Meshuggah, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, and more. An interesting example of this is in the song 'Buttersnips' where Misha mixes a heavy, SikTh-type groove with a Holdsworth-type legao run. A great album for any time.

Favorite Songs: Letter Experiment, All New Materials, Icarus Lives!, Racecar

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:51 PM »
I hate As I Am so much and I don't know why,
Same here! It's my least favourite DT song but there's nothing in particular I dislike. I just really, really don't like it.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to finish this. I all of a sudden lost internet and then found out I'm getting evicted so whatever, I'll just post the top ones.

4. Carving Desert Canyons - Scale The Summit

3. The Common Man's Collapse - Veil Of Maya

2. Colors - Between The Buried And Me

1. The Discovery - Born Of Osiris

No time for write ups, sorry.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »
Wow. That royally sucks man. Sorry to hear. Bit of a downer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that :(