Author Topic: Joseph's Top 50 Albums!!  (Read 11029 times)

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
Joseph's Top 50 Albums!!
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've been on here. Been busy with schoolwork and guitar and all but thats another story for a different time (or never).

Anyway, my Top 50 Albums is probably going to piss off a fair few people but hopefully enlighten some to some great music they might have otherwise not heard. As a note, I got into Prog only about a year ago so that's more towards the top so be patient.

Here's the start!

50. The Sufferer And The Witness- Rise Against

This is one of those kind of albums that I'm not really too much into anymore but it was an album that I loved at one point in time. It's full of some of the best punk/alternative/whatever.

Favorite Songs: Bricks, Behind Closed Doors, The Good Left Undone.

49. Follow The Reaper- Children Of Bodom

This is a great album. Every song has some great guitarwork and some really cool keyboard parts. It's also pretty impressive to note that Lead Guitarist Alexi Laiho also is the Vocalist in CoB.

Favorite Songs: Children Of Decadence, Kissing The Shadows

48. Ascendancy- Trivium

Anyone who's listened to Trivium knows that they're one of the best bands to have emerged from the whole Metalcore scene. Matt Heafy's huge screams and singing coupled with his and guitarist Corey Beaulieu's leads have made a big name for Trivium that continues to grow. This is a great album with some excellent songwriting and contains my favorite use of harmonization (on pretty much every solo)

Favorite Songs: Drowned And Torn Asunder, The End Of Everything, Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr

47. Iowa- Slipknot

I love this album. To me, Slipknot has always had this air about them of just pure aggression. It's unique how their music isn't really 'heavy' in the typical sense but when you get into it, theres just this primal rage about them, especially shown in this album. Also, the pure emotion in Corey Taylor's voice throughout his career is unbelievable.

Favorite Songs: Disasterpiece, I Am Hated, New Abortion, Skin Ticket

46. War Is The Answer- Five Finger Death Punch

This is known to be a pretty 'Mainstream' metal album to most people but what I think a lot of people overlook about WITA is that is very well-written. FFDP is my go-to band when I want something heavy but also really melodic and catchy.

Favorite Songs: Dying Breed, Canto 34, Succubus

Nothing too special right now but that's all for this post!
Glad to be back by the way! :D

Offline Mladen

Re: Joseph's Top 50 Albums!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Ooh, plenty of metal in there. Gotta say, I love Iowa.  :metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »
Interesting list, I'm not big into those bands besides a bit of Rise Against :)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
Rise Against is pretty awesome. I used to really love them, particularly that album.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:05:22 AM »
Following... just for shits and giggles.  I suspect I will have heard of less than 10 of your albums.  So far, 1/5 (Trivium).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »
The only album I've heard (and just a little bit) is Rise Against. I have to check these albums out.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
These honestly aren't the greatest albums but theyre worth a listen to if you're a metal guy. It doesn't help that I don't know as many albums as most people on here.

UPDATE:

45. Evangelion- Behemoth

This album is heavy. Heavy and dark. It's like that everything-going-crazy-at-once part of black metal had sex with the technical precision and vocal/drum/guitar style of death metal. Behemoth is one of those bands that sounds cool. Putting their writing, guitar tone, vocal style and all aside, the music has a real energy  to it that you feel. Also, they have a monster stage presence and put on a great live show.

Favorite Songs: Ov Fire And The Void, The Seed Of I, Lucifer

44. Shadows Are Security- As I Lay Dying

This is one of those albums that a lot of people hate. A lot of people seem to hate on As I Lay Dying because they're metalcore but what a lot of people don't take into account is that AILD are one of the main bands that popularized the genre. Every new metalcore album that has come out in the past 4 or 5 years, you could probably hear some of this album in it. There's some great riffs, excellent vocals, and some cool solos to top it all off.

Favorite Songs: Confined, The Darkest Nights, Through Struggle, Morning Waits

43. A Sense Of Purpose- In Flames

The thing this album has that makes it really cool is a sense of groove. That, mixed with In Flames' sense of melody and vocals, this album flies by. It's one of those feelgood metal albums in my opinion.

Favorite Songs: The Mirror's Truth, Alias, Drenched In Fear

42. Invincible- Two Steps From Hell

Two Steps From Hell isn't exactly a band but that doesn't stop them from making awesome music. It's two guys (IIRC) and they do music for movies and video games like Harry Potter, The Dark Knight and Avatar. Knowing that fact now, you know this is going to be a truly epic album, and honestly, that's all I think I can say about it. It's epic.

Favorite Songs: All of them.

41. The Perfect Element Pt. 1- Pain Of Salvation

And here's where the getting pissed at me will probably start. I love this album, really. It's supremely well done, very very very well thought out and superbly written. Unfortunately though, it just doesn't tickle my fancy as much as the albums above it.

Favorite Songs: Used, Ashes, King Of Loss

40. Solace- Jean Baudin

Look at that album cover. Look how many strings that guy has. This album is one track of him playing an 11 string bass. It's incredible. LISTEN.

Favorite Songs: Mare Nubium, Krackatoa, Transcend

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
Not a big POS fan but The Perfect Element has some great bits in there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:10:23 PM »
Not a big POS fan but The Perfect Element has some great bits in there.

I'll agree with you there.

And finally, someone who updates regularly.  Hint hint Reap
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
Check my post :)

Also to be fair I update more often than most.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »
TPE could be about 40 spots higher, I think.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
I'll be honest... that In Flames album is awful. :lol
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
I'll be honest... that In Flames album is awful. :lol
I know most 'trve' In Flames fans hate it but it was the first album by them I heard so it's what I think of them as. Can't really get into their older albums  :-\

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
I don't think 'trve' applies to melodic death metal, but I know what you mean. :lol
I AM A GUY

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
I don't think 'trve' applies to melodic death metal, but I know what you mean. :lol
Agreed  :lol It was just the first word that popped into my head

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
Very metal list, which is cool but so far not the sort of metal I really like. TPE is pretty awesome! :)

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
I just listened to Falling/The Perfect Element tonight, and o my god it is fantastic!So, good choice!
I am a Survivor, and this is my Destiny.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Ascendency and Iowa are both great albums. The former is an underrated, overlooked metal masterpiece, and Iowa is probably the heaviest nu metal album ever recorded.

Behemoth is pretty cool too. Some interesting picks so far.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:10:32 AM »
A Sense of Purpose is probably around when I lost interest for In Flames.
I'll agree that The Chosen Pessimist is good, but the rest just sounds very samey to me sadly. :\

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
UPDATE:

39. Akeldama- The Faceless

Fun fact: This is the first album ever released by Sumerian Records. I think thats becausse The Faceless is a very interesting, innovative band. They're very metal, indeed, but they have these really rich, fun melodic sections that just grip you. This is a really fun album and the only complaint I have about it is the production, and how there aren't enough clean vocals.

Favorite Songs: Pestilence, Horizons Of Choas Pt. 2, Leica

38. Are You Dead Yet?- Children Of Bodom

This was my favorite album for a very long time. I was huge into the whole thrashy-melodic death metal kinda stuff CoB did for a long time and for some reason, I liked this album most. I feel like Alexi's playing here was a little more well thought out and he wrote more to fit the songs as opposed to show off a little bit. His singing has also improved a lot on this album I think.

Favorite Songs: In Your Face, Trashed Lost & Strungout, We're Not Gonna Fall

37. SikTh- The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out... Wait For Something Wild

SikTh is one of those bands that came to underground metal fame fast. They're considered one of the most influential bands on the bands in the whole 'Djent' movement, inspiring guys like Misha from Periphery. This album is so well written, it's stupifying. There's just something about this album that grabs you and makes you want to just keep listening all the way through; especially like the end of Can't We All Dream and Tupelo and the two Emerson songs. At first, it seems like nonsense and crazyness but upon a few more spins, you get to hear all the intricate detail to every song.

Favorite Songs: Scent Of The Obscene, Skies Of The Millennium Night, Peep Show, Can't We All Dream

36. Andy McKee- Art Of Motion

This album is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. This album, all one track (Like Jean Baudin) of acoustic guitar is done by one of the most gifted players I can think of. In a few songs (Most notably Drifting), McKee plays lead, rhythm, and precussion all at the same time on the same instrument and makes it work fantastically.

Favorite Songs: Art Of Motion, Drifting, For My Father, Rylynn

35. Cynic- Traced In Air

This is a really cool, out-there sort of album. It's weird because of Paul Masvidal's vocals, which sound like they're constantly going through a synth or some vocal processor (maybe they are?) and his unique sense of riffing and melody.

Favorite songs: Evolutionary Sleeper, Integral Birth, Adam's Murmur

34. Scars On Broadway- Scars On Broadway

Scars On Broadway is, as most people know, what Daron and John did when System Of A Down went on hiatus. I, for one, thought this was an incredibly good release when most people had really high expectations for 1/2 of one of the biggest bands in recent years. Daron riffs and sings through this album just like he did with System but with a bit of a curve. It's a lot more approached as a Hard-rock album as opposed to SOAD's more metal approach. Also, Daron's vocals are (obviously) more present than on a System record.

Favorite Songs: Funny, World Long Gone, Chemicals, Whoring Streets

DISCUSS.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
Traced in Air is AMAZING. o/
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
I know a lot of people will go WTF on me, but I actually liked Scars on Broadway more then any of SOAD's releases, and I really like SOAD's albums.
So in other words, I loved Scars on Broadway.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
I know a lot of people will go WTF on me, but I actually liked Scars on Broadway more then any of SOAD's releases, and I really like SOAD's albums.
So in other words, I loved Scars on Broadway.
It's probably my favorite counting all of SOAD's releases but one which shall appear later in the list.

Traced in Air is AMAZING. o/
*\o If you're a huge fan of Cynic, you'll probably love a band I'll have up soon.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
It better be Death.
I AM A GUY

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
It better be Death.
No Death on my list, sorry letters. I don't have any of their albums yet but I should have a few of them by next week. I listen to a lot of their songs regularly though. And I can play Crystal Mountain  :metal

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
That song is AWESOME
I AM A GUY

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »
Nice to see Andy McKee on the list. I've got all his cd's and they are great, he is awesome to see live as well.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »
DAT UPDATE

SikTh, Faceless, Cynic, good stuff!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
Man, I really need to check out that Sikth album. I've heard Pussyfoot and I love that song.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
Nice update! Will check some of that stuff out!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
Great update!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »
SikTh :metal

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:22 AM »
hot damn you listen to a lot of metal

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »
UPDATE:

33. Animals As Leaders- Animals As Leaders

Animals As Leaders is one of those bands that just blows your mind the first time youlisten to them. Tosin Abasi's virtuosity and general talent is incredibly impressive as it already is, but given the fact he plays an 8-string, there's a bit more 'wow' factor. This album is an instrumental album, but in a way, it doesn't quite feel like it. You get done with the album but yet you'll find yourself humming some of the leads and riffs later.

Favorite Songs: Tempting Time, On Impulse, Song Of Solomon

32. Eyes Set To Kill- Reach

This is another metalcore/punk album that has a fair bit of 'emo' in it. Probably my favorite female-fronted band, ESTK makes music that is great to listen to pretty much whenever: On a drive, hanging out, when you're outside, etc. and it's just fun music.

Favorite Songs: Reach, Darling, Behind These Eyes

31. Between The Buried And Me- Alaska

This album is great. There's so much that BTBAM put into all of their albums that it's almost hard to follow sometimes. There's a lot of memorable stuff on this album too: All of Selkies, and a bunch of riffs scattered around elsewhere. I'd definitely consider them one of my favorite bands, too.

Favorite Songs: Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Backwards Marathon

30. The Faceless- Planetary Duality

Ah, another (the other) Faceless record. This one, however, is a lot better than their first. It's a lot better written: Parts are thought out better, vocals are more evenly spaced, and there are a bit more clean vocals. The place where this album REALLY shines though, is Michael Keene's amazing guitar work. A lot of times, you hear him play some really fast, crazy kind of stuff, but then you get to his incredible Jazz-Fusion influenced solos. Great album.

Favorite Songs: The Ancient Covenant, Coldly Calculated Design, Xenochrist

29. Coheed And Cambria- Second Stage Turbine Blade

("Finally an album we all know!" Yells DTF.org) Yeah, yeah, I know. My list is about 80-90% metal, but hell, it's what I love. Anyways, this is one of those albums that aren't very metal (Although, it is the most metal Coheed record) but it's amazing. Claudio's vocals on this album sound so raw and emotional and all the playing sounds super tight. Every song on here is full of catchy melodies and vocals that anyone can get into.

Favorite Songs: Devil In Jersey City, Everything Evil, Delirium Trigger

28. Here Comes The Kraken- Here Comes The Kraken

This album is fantastic. Full of crazy shreddy guitar work everywhere and some ominously heavy vocals. This is one of those 'diamond in the rough' metalcore/deathcore albums. HCTK were nowhere near the front of the scene but they had one of the best albums in the whole scene. The truly best thing about this album though is the guitar tone. Listen to it to know what I mean.

Favorite Songs: Don't Fail Me Darko, Into The Slaughter Basement, From The Deepest Darkness

That's all for today! Next update will be getting into the best stuff!!

DISCUSS