Author Topic: Storm Corrosion (New Mikael Akerfeldt/Steven Wilson project)  (Read 59714 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Storm Corrosion (New Mikael Akerfeldt/Steven Wilson project)
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
"It's quite cinematic sounding, like a soundtrack to some shit film." :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »
"It's quite cinematic sounding, like a soundtrack to some shit film." :lol

I laughed when I heard that too  :lol

This should be interesting, definitely will be checking this out when it hits the shelves.

Also, the last question, what the heck?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:40 AM »
From their Facebook:

I hope the pics show up, I'm linking straight from FB.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
Posted on Facebook 30 minutes ago:

"Storm Corrosion will be issued on CD, limited deluxe double vinyl LP in gatefold sleeve with poster (which will be issued by Roadrunner, but curated by vinyl experts ToneFloat), and blu-ray. The blu-ray will include stereo and 5.1 mixes, demos and instrumental mixes, all at 96K high resolution. Confirmation of exact release date and pre-ordering info soon."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
Nice, I'll likely get the blu-ray.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »
:caffeine: Awesome!! Oh man this year is aiming to be quite the musical powerhouse. :metal

Definitely. This will be my first blu-ray in regards to music; I cannot wait to hear it given the mastermind of production that is SW is behind quality control. Blu-Ray is exciting enough but Wilson has mastered his trade.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
I have Grace For Drowning on Blu-Ray and that was very well done.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Here's a very good fake promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdoYJiH58o

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
Posted on Facebook 30 minutes ago:

"Storm Corrosion will be issued on CD, limited deluxe double vinyl LP in gatefold sleeve with poster (which will be issued by Roadrunner, but curated by vinyl experts ToneFloat), and blu-ray. The blu-ray will include stereo and 5.1 mixes, demos and instrumental mixes, all at 96K high resolution. Confirmation of exact release date and pre-ordering info soon."

YES!!!  :hefdaddy :metal
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
I have Grace For Drowning on Blu-Ray and that was very well done.

:o I am jelly (blackberry preserves)... Grrr, I really hope they have some kind of music on sale at the SW concert cause I need something from the man that isn't just a CD album. I've got a few PT DVDs but even then...nothing special. It'd be perfect timing for me too since I just upgraded my sound system to something that actually packs a punch.

RIP DTP.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
I'll probably get all 3. Definitely the bluray, I guess I'll have to wait and see how much it is gonna cost and how much money I have in my bank account (foreshadowing: very little).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

Sweet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
The world will come to an end this year. I don't care, it will be to the sounds of this awesome endeavor.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
 :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
 :rollin
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ħ

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
I find it hard to identify the "main" format of the album.  For example, it was obvious that for GFD, SW's preferred presentation was through the 5.1 Blu-ray and the photography book.  For this, it's not so clear, because I know that both SW and MA are really into the vinyl presentation, but the Blu-ray is probably going to be better quality.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
How is Blu-Ray the better quality than the CD though? It's gonna be the same digital signal unless I am mistaken.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
How is Blu-Ray the better quality than the CD though? It's gonna be the same digital signal unless I am mistaken.

rumborak

Is it?  I'm not sure.  I thought it was higher quality for some reason?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
Yeah I assume it'll be the same quality.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »

rumborak

I just looked it up, and there's no requirement on Blu-Ray audio DVDs to be in any way different (e.g. sampling rate) than regular audio CDs. They can go as high as 192kHz, but frankly I would be very surprised if any of them did. Why bother if you can get away with the same audio signal as on the audio CD?

rumborak

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
For me, I want the extras mainly; but the 5.1 mixes will certainly resonate better with my new sound system. Other than that, yeah I guess there's no difference; I don't know, I'm no audiophile. I just want some sexiness.

RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
Doesn't 5.1 make everything more clear-sounding because the instruments don't mesh together out of only two speakers?  And the music videos for GFD are crystal clear, so there's that too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »

rumborak

I just looked it up, and there's no requirement on Blu-Ray audio DVDs to be in any way different (e.g. sampling rate) than regular audio CDs. They can go as high as 192kHz, but frankly I would be very surprised if any of them did. Why bother if you can get away with the same audio signal as on the audio CD?

rumborak

5.1 like everybody else said.  It's worth it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »

rumborak

rumborak

I don't notice much of a difference in terms of quality between CD and bluray (also have never done a side by side comparison), but Steven's 5.1 mixes are always spectacular so I would go for the bluray if you have the option. The only downside is it is not portable, so if this version doesn't come with the CD you won't be able to play it in the car, on a cd player, etc... but everything is MP3 now anyways so I guess that wouldn't bother most people.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
CDs are only 48khz, didn't SW say the blu-ray was 96khz?

And CDs give the inferior quality in only two channels, whereas the Blu-Ray will be higher res in all 5 channels.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »
What I notice about SW's 5.1 mixes is that most of the sound comes from the front three speakers, and the back two speakers are used for sound effects, backing vocals, and other quirky things.  Is this pretty standard for DTS albums?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »
CDs are only 48khz, didn't SW say the blu-ray was 96khz?

GFD was, I assume this will be too.

What I notice about SW's 5.1 mixes is that most of the sound comes from the front three speakers, and the back two speakers are used for sound effects, backing vocals, and other quirky things.  Is this pretty standard for DTS albums?

Pretty much.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
From their Facebook:

I hope the pics show up, I'm linking straight from FB.

OH MY GOD THEY ARE SO UNBEARABLY ADORABLE  :heart :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Mike looks like a giant in that last pic where he's drinking from that demitasse cup.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
ROADRUNNER RECORDS are delighted to announce the signing of STORM CORROSION.

STORM CORROSION is the long-discussed and highly anticipated collaboration between two of the current music scene’s most innovative and multi-talented artists; PORCUPINE TREE’s Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt of OPETH. The pair have been friends since the late ‘90s, when Wilson co-produced Opeth’s revered ‘Blackwater Park’ album. Over the years, they’d often spoken of working on a project together, but it wasn’t until recently that they managed to make something happen, when Mikael flew over to visit Steve in the UK and they ended up in Wilson’s home studio throwing ideas around. That visit was the nascence of a whole self-titled album, written and produced by the pair and mixed by Wilson.

The sound of STORM CORROSION can best be described as enchanting, orchestral, ambient, epic (half the album’s tracks clock in around the 10 minute mark) and nothing short of surprising to the new ear. However, the musicians’ respective fanbases will be primed to appreciate the new output, with Wilson’s recent solo album, ‘Grace For Drowning’ and Opeth’s ‘Heritage’ having brought them to a logical place to understand STORM CORROSION. This eponymous collection is almost viewed as one side of a musical triangle.

Says Wilson; “If you'd asked me three months ago about the music, I would have said, 'Expect the last thing you would expect.' But actually, now that 'Heritage' and 'Grace Of Drowning' have come out, I don't think it's going to be that much of a shock to people, because it's almost like a third part of the trilogy, in a way. If anything, it's even more orchestral, even more stripped down, even more dark, twisted and melancholic… but it certainly feels like it comes from the same place as 'Heritage' and 'Grace For Drowning', which indeed it does because it was written during the same period.”

“Some of the music on this record I think is the most beautiful music I have participated on ever,” adds Åkerfeldt. “There's some magical sections on there. Musically I think we've created something earthy, a bit frightening, exhausting, profound and rather intense. All at the same time. I can safely say I don't know any other band or artist that sounds anything like STORM CORROSION. I guess that was also one of our goals, so to speak.”

Roadrunner’s Snr VP of A&R, Monte Conner welcomes STORM CORROSION to the Roadrunner family, commenting: “I am honoured to have the Roadrunner logo on the STORM CORROSION album. Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt have demonstrated time and time again that they are two of the truest and most important artists working today, and it is not often that I get to work with musicians of this calibre. This album is a beautiful piece of work that will appeal to fans of Steven and Mikael’s past records, while at the same time exploring new avenues for both artists.

‘STORM CORROSION’ will hit record stores on 23rd April. Full release and format details will follow.

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
I am okay with this.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
I am okay with this.

Me too, if by "being okay" you mean "so excited I just filled my pants with feces and semen"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
I am okay with this.

Me too, if by "being okay" you mean "so excited I just filled my pants with feces and semen"
^Yyyyyyup!!! So smelly. So good. So excite.

This is going to be one hell of a musical birthday for me. Awesome BLOSSOM! :metal
Er wait...for this album it should be...
 :millahhhh :laugh:

RIP DTP.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
I am pumped up. I love Steven Wilson, and Heritage kicks ass, so this should be excellent.