Author Topic: Storm Corrosion (New Mikael Akerfeldt/Steven Wilson project)  (Read 59694 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Storm Corrosion (New Mikael Akerfeldt/Steven Wilson project)
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »
One song could already be an instrumental.
Then why have two versions of it?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
So that guy Jon Satterley (who listened to SC) is here: https://www.facebook.com/jon.satterley?ref=name

Let's make him force over the album.

Also, he works for RR Records...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Well I thought you said there was 6 songs but 5 instrumental versions, so I thought that one song could already be an instrumental.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
Yeah but based on the tracklist there's two versions of each song...

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:33 AM »
Ah ok, I didn't see that :) Yeah, like you said there could be instrumental versions of the other 5 songs but maybe an alternate version of this song?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2012, 01:35:13 AM »
Think I'll hold off on this one. At least until I get to see the general reaction. I'm sure it will be great, but there's just so much coming out over the next few months.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »
I am so goddamn excited for this album to come out.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
I am so goddamn excited for this album to come out.

^This guy. He knows what to get excited about. I've got blue balls because of this album. I just want it to finish me off and take me to heaven, that's all.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
The CD and CD/Blu-ray editions of the Storm Corrosion album are beginning to appear on various mail order sites for pre-order now. I realise not everyone has a blu-ray player, but if you do please try to hear the 96K/24 bit version, especially in surround sound. This is my personal favourite surround mix so far, something about the music lends itself perfectly to 5.1. All editions feature flat transfers of the mixes - to keep the music as natural and dynamic as possible the mastering stage has been completely bypassed, so please exercise your volume control for "loudness". (-:

From Steven Wilsons Facebook.
Absolutely no mastering at all? That makes me anticipate this even more! ;D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
Interesting...wow, so... What does that mean? Just that the instruments and their respective volumes haven't been tampered with? Er...

RIP DTP.

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
Interesting...wow, so... What does that mean? Just that the instruments and their respective volumes haven't been tampered with? Er...
They're not going to compress or limit the album after it's mixed. Those tools make a song louder, but destroy the dynamics.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Ah, okay. Gotcha..thanks! That's awesome, I can't wait for this.

RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
Why does mastering even exist?

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »
I'd imagine it exists so things are kept level on the radio and on recorded media, otherwise you could be subject to huge volume spikes and inaudibly quiet passages.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
mastering exists to prepare a consistent-sounding collection of material for distribution on particular formats. mastering is done differently for vinyl vs. digital (CD/download) releases, but it's about ensuring the entirety of the product, audio-wise, sounds like it belongs together. it's particularly important for collections of materials that were not recorded together in the same conditions, or were recorded with wildly different setups but intending to sound coherent together (if that makes any sense! sometimes it doesn't!). this is especially useful for compilation albums and artists whose sound includes a wide breadth of genres.

if everything is recorded professionally by people who know what they're doing – like SW – you can mix it so well that mastering isn't needed. it just so happens that most engineers, musicians, and producers aren't on that level (or, if it's your viewpoint, they aren't pompous enough to think they are!). Iron Maiden did this with one of their albums and while it isn't personally my favourite effort of theirs, it sounds consistent with their usual production, so they didn't miss much by bypassing mastering.

however, if your typical metal band records an album with Rick Rubin at the helm, somebody had better fucking get the thing mastered!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:42:46 PM by seasonsinthesky »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
So mastering is basically a cheap way of making something sound good?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
So mastering is basically a cheap way of making something sound good?

no to both sentiments — it isn't cheap at all, as it takes a well-experienced engineer with golden ears and proper equipment to do it well, and mastering can't make a shitty mix sound good no matter what expensive shit is applied to it.

of course, that isn't to say people don't do a shitpoor job of mastering stuff; it happens all the time. however, a given mastering engineer can only put out an amazing-sounding master if the producer has put the time and money into getting everything else right first AND isn't interested in exploding it for competitive or other non-musical intentions. if not, the mastering stage can't do much more than do its best to polish the turd.

producers and labels caused the loudness war, people. engineers make happen what they are told to make happen.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
Er, by 'cheap' I meant that it supplies 'quick-and-easy' gratification but is, in the end, inferior to the masterless material.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a pre-order for just the CD? I don't really want to get a box set.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »
Sorry to derail the discussion, but I just preordered the 2LP + BR/CD combo :caffeine:

Feel free to continue the mastering discussion, it's very interesting (specially to those of us that don't know the first thing about production, mastering and all those things).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »
I really hope they don't run out of the super deluxe edition. From what I know, there's always CDs/Blurays in stock, and it's just the vinyls that seem to go...not to mention that poster.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
Er, by 'cheap' I meant that it supplies 'quick-and-easy' gratification but is, in the end, inferior to the masterless material.
ah, sorry, misinterpreted that then.

mastering was born from a need; back in the day, nobody could cut vinyl with a lathe unless they knew a hell of a lot about sound and the format. it's also why there's a lot of 'smoke and mirrors' about mastering, as if it's this sacred tradition passed down through the families inside a secret society known to few.

at this point, mastering is probably still needed for some artists and albums, but an experienced mix engineer and producer team can often come up with the vast majority of the desired sound and consistency level. once everything fits together, if it's a straight-to-digital release, one could probably avoid mastering unless one is concerned with being competitively sharp and loud. for CD and other physical formats, though, it's probably still best to have it mastered. a mastering engineer who knows their shit may listen through the mixes of a disc they're preparing and decide not to touch a goddamn thing on one song because it sounds fine and fits well as is (but if the producer says it needs something, off to work they go...).

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a pre-order for just the CD? I don't really want to get a box set.

Been on Amazon for weeks. Price still hasn't come down for the US site but there is still almost two months left until the release date.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
thanks.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
*edit*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:18:50 PM by Flick »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
I am 100% sure this isn't Storm Corrosion.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Nope, it's Mordet i Grottan by Sorkskogen, a one-off song he did with Dan Swano. Notice the chorus is the same as To Rid the Disease.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »
That's good. Although that song wasn't bad by any means, it was certainly not what I was hoping for with SC.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »
I'm sure it will be very different, don't worry.

Offline TL

« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
Does anyone know where I can pre-order just the CD/BluRay?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »
Does anyone know where I can pre-order just the CD/BluRay?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TL

« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
Ordered.
Roughly $28 CAD, including shipping from the UK. Not bad.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
*edit*

So either you linked to an illegitimate version of a new song, or an illegitimate version of an old song. Either way it's against the rules.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
Are you serious? People have therefore been sharing illegitimate versions of songs in every single song roulette in GMD, and you call me out on linking to something that's not even the actual song.