Author Topic: car insurance  (Read 699 times)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
car insurance
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »
I'm getting a new car, hopefully next week sometime. I am shopping around for insurance but I don't want to run credit checks left and right. What's the best deal out there? Are they all more or less the same? I get discounts from geico for having renters' insurance and some discounts from societies i belong to. Any input is welcome.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: car insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
Geico and Progressive have always been the cheapest when I've shopped around.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:07:03 AM »
I've flipped back and forth between Geico and Progressive over the years they are by far the cheapest in NJ
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »
I have no idea about the cheapest, but I've had Liberty Mutual for as long as I've been driving and I like them (as much as you can like an insurance company). They do seem to care about your well-being when you call in and have always been helpful.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Price is important, but service is just as important.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:04 AM »

I've been lucky enough to never have to file a claim in all my years driving, so for me price is the only concern, until I need it service

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
I used to pay more to have an agent with Farmer's Insurance. Good coverage, very nice agent. He didn't do anything for me. The one time I had a claim, he told me to call a 1-800 number anyway. I'd rather save money with Progressive and deal with the random customer service person instead of a dedicated agent who doesn't do a whole lot for me except give me a quote every 6 months. Now I've never had a major claim, so perhaps my opinon would change if that were to happen, but for now I'm happily saving hundreds of dollars a year.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
It's not so much about the voice you talk to, but how willing they are to pay up when you need them.  Do you want your car fixed by people you choose, using real OEM parts, or by the company that Geico contracts out to, for example.  The cheaper places manage to keep their rates lower by saving money elsewhere.

Also,  Geico will send your rates through the roof the first time you get a ticket.  In the industry it's known as being "off to see the lizard." 

It's also worth noting that a good agent can find you discounts beyond what your initial quote is. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
I recently went through having to purchase a new car insurance policy and I called around to all the big-name players.  I wound up going with 21st Century (which is a division of Farmers). 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 02:45:03 AM »
Geico gave me the best price but I haven't gotten into any accidents or anything so I can't say anything about the service other than they found a guy pretty quickly to put my doughnut on for me one time...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
Every insurance company is great if you don't have any tickets or accidents.  You find out when the rubber meets the road.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.