Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread  (Read 24204 times)

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »
If I remember correctly, there was a disagreement over what sort of band that they both wanted it to be. Jimmy wanted to be more of a touring band playing the old classics while Billy wanted to make lots of new material like a normal band.

Yeah that sounds about right, which would explain why Jimmy left and why Billy said that he fired him.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
If I remember correctly, there was a disagreement over what sort of band that they both wanted it to be. Jimmy wanted to be more of a touring band playing the old classics while Billy wanted to make lots of new material like a normal band.

Hmmm....that actually makes a lot of sense...thanx for the insight there....for a band that I totally love I've been kinda out of the loop for a few years here...

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »
And to be honest, I think that Billy is in the right. I would not want to just tour around playing classics, it's a bit of a pitiful existence and a waste of talent and a letdown to the fans really.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »
And to be honest, I think that Billy is in the right. I would not want to just tour around playing classics, it's a bit of a pitiful existence and a waste of talent and a letdown to the fans really.

I agree, It would be like being in a The Smashing Pumpkins cover band.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »
Hey Guys, I just wanted to give a quick update on the remasters for those who don't know, It looks like as off today both the Gish and Siamese Dream remasters are $22.76 on Amazon, so you could lock in that price now . . .I think that's how amazon works I know they have the pre order price guarantee so I don't know if that's the price you keep or if it goes up or what.

Interesting to note that the price is still $30.00 on the Pumpkins site and they seem to be the same edition so I don't know.

Anyway quick little update for those who are interested. 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
Amazon always charges the preorder once it is ready to ship, so the price at the moment is what you are charged. usually it's a process of watching the preorder price slowly drop until it stabilizes and they charge/ship.

Offline adace

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »
I was a fan of this band in the late 90's, basically cause they were big on MTV UK which was my only access to new forgein music then, was a fan approximately since the release of Mellon Collie and until I lost interest shortly after Adore, even though I loved the record itself.
I loved their Batman & Robin song and the slower version of it which was on the soundtrack as well. Musically and the video for it gave us a much darker expectation of what the movie is going to be like, only to have a brutal shock when the movie came out heh
I haven't checked out any albums from their new incarnation.
An incident I'll never forget was in 1998 after the debut of the Ava Adore video on MTV, I loved that video and the song so much and I watched it often cause as I said; we didn't get singles there and albums came out month after it's worldwide release dates, anyway I was 14 at the time and my aunt was visiting with her kids and her 5 year old daughter happened to walk in and watch the video with me.
One of the biggest incident to occur in our family as it resulted in what I was told to be countless sleepless nights of nightmares and terror for the little girl and my aunt demanding my severe prosecution and my dad delivered, he took away the receiver so I had no MTV or any foreign channels whatsoever for about two month and I was grounded for a while and received the silent treatment from everyone for a while. Needless to say I could not see what set the little girl off.
But now as I watch the video again I realize I was a moron to allow her to watch that video :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
^^^ just watched the Ava Adore video for the first time.

That was pretty sweet and pretty damn creative. Man do I love that album.  :heart

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »

I was a fan of this band in the late 90's, basically cause they were big on MTV UK which was my only access to new forgein music then, was a fan approximately since the release of Mellon Collie and until I lost interest shortly after Adore, even though I loved the record itself.
I loved their Batman & Robin song and the slower version of it which was on the soundtrack as well. Musically and the video for it gave us a much darker expectation of what the movie is going to be like, only to have a brutal shock when the movie came out heh
I haven't checked out any albums from their new incarnation.
An incident I'll never forget was in 1998 after the debut of the Ava Adore video on MTV, I loved that video and the song so much and I watched it often cause as I said; we didn't get singles there and albums came out month after it's worldwide release dates, anyway I was 14 at the time and my aunt was visiting with her kids and her 5 year old daughter happened to walk in and watch the video with me.
One of the biggest incident to occur in our family as it resulted in what I was told to be countless sleepless nights of nightmares and terror for the little girl and my aunt demanding my severe prosecution and my dad delivered, he took away the receiver so I had no MTV or any foreign channels whatsoever for about two month and I was grounded for a while and received the silent treatment from everyone for a while. Needless to say I could not see what set the little girl off.
But now as I watch the video again I realize I was a moron to allow her to watch that video :lol

I had never really watched the video but just did and although I guess I can see some sheltered 5 year old having nightmares based on having seen the video; I definitely don't see the need for the punishment you endured. Sounds like the punishment you got was likely more affecting than what the 5 year old had to deal with.

But that's coming from someone who had an older brother who would make me watch Friday the 13th, Halloween, My Bloody Valentine etc. and would lock me in a room with the lights cut off and play Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast" .... lol

Sorry you went through that over some music. The Pumpkins are awesome!  :hat

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:44 PM »
:lol it's cool we reminisce and laugh about it now.
Indeed a great video, I remember they said it was one long take.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
Just listened to Mellon Collie for the first time in a long while.

Totally forget how incredible it is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
Bodies.

:omg:

:metal

Kosmo

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
How do you guys feel about Machina? I really like this album but it seems to get quite a bit of flak for some reason.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
I prefer it to Adore anyday.

Plus It has great songs.

*syncs on Spotify to listen to later*

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
How do you guys feel about Machina? I really like this album but it seems to get quite a bit of flak for some reason.

actually have never heard it, but I'm listening to the samples now for the first time and am I'm liking what I hearing so far, so I think I will pick it up.

I kind of forgot about it, so thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
Machina is great! The last song on it is one of my favourites too, was a nice way to go out on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »
Raindrops + Sunshowers is pretty much the sequel to Appels + Oranjes

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
Machina just arrived in the mail and I am very excited. I just put it on and so far I'm liking what I'm hearing.

All these years I been a massive Pumpkins fan and I somehow never got around to listening to this album.  :facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »
To me it's like Adore but with decent songs, loud guitars and drums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
I wonder how differently things would have went for them if they Machina came out in place of Adore.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:58:07 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline adace

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:32 AM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 04:15:35 AM »
Listening to it now. So far so good. I don't know if anything is standing out as spectacular yet though.

Billy mentioned that he will be playing it in its entire on the next tour.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:31:43 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Yeah sounds better than anything post - Zeitgeist.  Has a Machina meets Zeitgeist vibe.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 08:10:51 AM »
Already loving Siamese Dream, I listened to Mellon Collie today for the first time, both discs.
Really great stuff. I wasn't expecting it to be as good on the first listen (it's 28 songs after all), but I really liked this album. I've already ordered it physically as well, and I can't wait to spin it more, so it will "click" even more.  :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Never gave these guys a chance because I was always into very underground metal.  I heard Corgan was also into underground stuff and then when he guested on Iommi's album he got my stamp of approval.

Still didn't give the band a chance until i found out they were opening their tour in my hometown after he put the band back together.  They rented out the theatre for a week and were seen all over town.  I bought Zeitgest and loved it.  I then got Mellon Collie and couldnt believe how heavy some of the stuff was. 

I've really loved all the stuff INCLUDING their new stuff.  I've got Oceania ordered.  I'll wait to listen to it until it comes and then I can properly hear it in my car. 

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
Already loving Siamese Dream, I listened to Mellon Collie today for the first time, both discs.
Really great stuff. I wasn't expecting it to be as good on the first listen (it's 28 songs after all), but I really liked this album. I've already ordered it physically as well, and I can't wait to spin it more, so it will "click" even more.  :)

Oh Wow, first time listening Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie? These are excellent albums with lots of great material throughout.  Hope you enjoy the fuck out of experiencing these! :tup

Never gave these guys a chance because I was always into very underground metal.  I heard Corgan was also into underground stuff and then when he guested on Iommi's album he got my stamp of approval.

Still didn't give the band a chance until i found out they were opening their tour in my hometown after he put the band back together.  They rented out the theatre for a week and were seen all over town.  I bought Zeitgest and loved it.  I then got Mellon Collie and couldnt believe how heavy some of the stuff was. 

I've really loved all the stuff INCLUDING their new stuff.  I've got Oceania ordered.  I'll wait to listen to it until it comes and then I can properly hear it in my car.

I'm guessing you are from Asheville? That was a great time during their residency at The Orange Peel. They put on some amazing shows during that stay.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
I guess I don't have a problem with it being a whole new line-up besides Billy.

If the other 3 members don't want to be in the band - what can you do ?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »

I'm guessing you are from Asheville? That was a great time during their residency at The Orange Peel. They put on some amazing shows during that stay.

Nah, this was maybe a few months after Zeitgeist was released.  It was a short 10-13 date tour or something so not their very first tour with the new lineup.  They opened it in Iowa. 

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »

Nah, this was maybe a few months after Zeitgeist was released.  It was a short 10-13 date tour or something so not their very first tour with the new lineup.  They opened it in Iowa. 

Oh cool. The residency in Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel was a bit before the release of Zeitgeist (it leaked online like the day of the show I attended). I only caught one of the 9 shows during their extended stay (I think several weeks) but was there for a few days during the time and Billy and the band pretty much just hung out around town as much as was possible. Was pretty neat.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
:heart love :heart Siamese Dream, but never really got into the other albums. I probably should give them another shot.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:20 AM »

Oh Wow, first time listening Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie? These are excellent albums with lots of great material throughout.  Hope you enjoy the fuck out of experiencing these! :tup

Yeah I've already given Siamese Dream around 10-15 spins and it's really something special, amazing album. Only listened to Mellon Collie once so far, though I'll probably spin it again today. It might take longer time to fully click (since it's more songs) but I feel optimistic. :)
I also love it how the band has ~1 long song per album/CD. I'd say that songs around the 8-9 or 10 minute mark often appeals to me because they get their time to develop, so to speak. I quickly browsed through their catalogue on Wikipedia and with exception for maybe the debut, I believe there was a longer song on each CD.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
I also love it how the band has ~1 long song per album/CD. I'd say that songs around the 8-9 or 10 minute mark often appeals to me because they get their time to develop, so to speak. I quickly browsed through their catalogue on Wikipedia and with exception for maybe the debut, I believe there was a longer song on each CD.

they do a good job of mixing in some epics, particularly on mellon collie.
that two disc set kinda reminded me of the two GNR Illusion albums when it came out...in that theres a great mix of songs on the albums. some punk, some metal, some atmosphere, some quirky stuff, short songs, and some nicely arranged, longer,  epic tracks...and thats where i think mellon collie really shines: them tinged-with-atmosphere epics thru the eyes of ruby and porcelina of the vast oceans (simaese dream's soma accomplishes this nicely as well). but also that agressive as fuck epic XYU (if i can call it 'epic'. i could see people taking issue).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:25:02 AM by pain of occupation »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
I must say that through Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, this band is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's interesting because I knew "Cherub Rock" and "Today" from before (Guitar Hero-games), and I think I might have heard "1979" as well (if it's featured in GTA), but hearing the albums in full is quite the ride.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
also zantera, since (i'll assume) youre very familiar with both right now, have you noticed any similarities between siamese dream and steventree's stupid dream?! a friend and i were heavily discussing stupid dream half a year back as he was devouring stupid dream after aquiring it, and all of a sudden we were making the stupid/siamese comparisons. i dont know how serious we were, but we half concluded that mr.wilson was trying to make a better version of siamese dream with his album.
(i'd probly have to go back and listen to both to see what all was making us find some parallels between the two albums).