Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread  (Read 24259 times)

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
The Smashing Pumpkins Thread
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:53:14 AM »
Hello All, first off let me preface this by saying that I did a couple of searches for this and found nothing so I do apologize if there is already a thread for this.

Anyway I just wanted to start a Thread for the Pumpkins and their fans, especially since we have the ongoing album experience "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope" and the album within that album Oceania coming out hopefully by the end of this year or early next year.

One last thing we also have the reissues of Gish through Machina I and yes an official release of Machina II.

So how about it, any Pumpkin fans here? 

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
Siamese Dream was the second or third album I ever heard - still amazing today.

I eagerly look forward to the Machina II official release, though I do have the best quality release you can get of the previous release, it's not perfect.

Teargarden has been pretty awesome so far too, much better than Zeitgeist bar the drumming.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
I've been fan of Smashing Pumpkins since back in 98.

Siamese Dream is one of my favorite albums
and Mellon Collie is fantastic also.

And Even though Adore gets kind of a bad rap, I absolutely love it. Whenever I'm feeling really frustrated, or down, I can put that album on and by the end, I feel much, much better.

Also, This thread has reminded me that I don't listen to the Smashing Pumpkins enough.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:47:50 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »
Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, and Adore is a fantastic 3-run of albums, and one of the best ever. My favorite has always been Adore.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »
Hello I guess I wanted to give this thread a bit of a bump just to talk about the new remasters. In November The Pumpkins we'll be getting new remasters of Gish and Siamese Dream, it looks like both will have some unheard songs or at least unreleased songs.

Here's the Siamese Dream "Box Set"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MW8CUG/ref=ox_ya_os_product

And Here's Gish

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MW8CLK/ref=ox_ya_os_product

So anyone else excited??? I've got mine on preorder from amazon.

Oh and for anyone interested, the man Billy Corgan, said we would be getting remasters of all the pumpkins albums including Machina II getting an offical release.

Offline faemir

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:09:18 PM »
Those look really awesome, I wish I weren't a broke student now :(

I look forward to a Machina II release for sure, though the best quality vinyl rip is pretty much as good as it gets anyway - but I think Machina II is good enough that it deserves a real release.

I never got what people didn't like about Machina.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
I never bought any albums by them so bring on those remasters.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Love this band and all of their "eras"...in fact, I love bands with "eras"....Kiss, Sabbath, Van Halen, even DT...they all have different eras and that makes it super fun to be a fan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Gish. Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie.  :coolio

Adore. Machina.  :tup

Zeitgeist  :)

Everything Since...  :lol :\ :lol :\
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:24:05 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
Siamese Dream is a masterpiece.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
If this is Smashing Pumpkins then so were Zwan.

Zwan had a female bassist and Jimmy Chamberlain.

Why not call this Zwan?

Blatantly just using the SP name.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »
Siamese Dream is a masterpiece.

This times a million.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »
the preorders are now live on the official site for the Gish and Siamese Dream remasters.

i wish they would've included the 24/96 WAV digital version with the deluxe physical and/or vinyl releases, though. i'm not paying another $30 for the hi res downloads.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »
Hm, those look kinda cool. I've never gotten into the pumpkins much, so maybe this is a good time to do so.

It's cool that they're offering flacc and wave versions of the files. I wish more bands would do that.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 04:18:08 AM »
If this is Smashing Pumpkins then so were Zwan.

Zwan had a female bassist and Jimmy Chamberlain.

Why not call this Zwan?

Blatantly just using the SP name.

I guess that's kinda true haha. . . although It wouldn't even be Zwan anymore though as Jimmy is no longer in the band, I think Billy is going more along the lines of "I am The Smashing Pumpkins" which sounds a bit weird but it's not to farfetched I mean when James Iha and D'arcy Wretzky were still in the band Billy would often redo some of there parts if he didn't like them.

Also if you look at Zeitgeist in the credits it say's Jimmy Chamberlin: Drums, Billy Corgan: All The Rest.

That being said, I do miss the old Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie days.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »
I had and am having a really hard time getting over Jimmy leaving...I am trying to enjoy the Teargarden stuff but it's honestly all over the place...Zeitgeist had me so excited but Jimmy leaving was a huge blow.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
when James Iha and D'arcy Wretzky were still in the band Billy would often redo some of there parts if he didn't like them.

that's literally the story of Siamese Dream. nearly every track besides drums on every song is Corgan.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
It's acknowledged by all 4 members of the original lineup that Mellon Collie was the only legitimate group effort.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »
I had and am having a really hard time getting over Jimmy leaving...I am trying to enjoy the Teargarden stuff but it's honestly all over the place...Zeitgeist had me so excited but Jimmy leaving was a huge blow.

This, I'd have to say, I was beyond happy when it was announced that JC and BC were getting back together, and they made IMO a great album with Zeitgeist. Matt Byrne is a good drummer but like someone said I do agree Teargarden has been a little all over the place, but I'm sure we'll have more consistency when Oceania comes out.

Matt

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

This, I'd have to say, I was beyond happy when it was announced that JC and BC were getting back together, and they made IMO a great album with Zeitgeist. Matt Byrne is a good drummer but like someone said I do agree Teargarden has been a little all over the place, but I'm sure we'll have more consistency when Oceania comes out.

Matt

So, is the Teargarden thing over or is the Oceana just a part of it?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »
From what I know, the Oceania tracks aren't on Teargarden at all. I think they're releasing this to stay relevant while still doing the Teargarden thing.

Or I'm completely wrong.

$30 for those remasters? Holy shit. Might have to wait before I spend money.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »

Matt

So, is the Teargarden thing over or is the Oceana just a part of it?

Yeah Oceana is part of Teargarden it's going to be an album within an album(Think Inception Only Music  :P) judging from what Billy said, so these are part of those 44 songs on Teargarden. Billy said that albums were a "Dead Medium" that's why they're doing Teargarden the way they are, but honestly I think that he probably realized . . ."Oh Shit one song a month for 44 months !!!!" and that goal wasn't really reached. For the first couple of months we had a song out but then they started to get a little more sporadic.

Now what I think is that the whole Teargarden By Kaleidyscope will be in four major parts. There's the first two EP'S, Then We'll get Oceana, and BC has said that the third EP is on hold untill after that, so I'm guessing there will be EP's 3 and 4, for part 3 of the four parts, and then we'll get either get another album type thing or EP's 5, 6 and possibly 7 ???? who knows really, who knows.

tl;dr answer No Teargarden's not dead, but instead Oceana is part of it, An album within and album.

@Nel
Yeah 30 is pretty steep for each release, but I'm hoping that all the extra stuff like the artwork related things will be worth it. And the extra discs should definitely be worth it.

Matt.

Offline faemir

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 05:40:06 AM »
Teargarden's material may be wobbly, but it's better than Zeitgeist.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 07:03:44 AM »
Matt, do you know if the extra cuts on the re-issues are the same versions that appeared on Pisces Iscariot (i.e., Hello Kitty Kat)...they have titles that suggest they are new versions but there are only a couple of songs that "*" ...which indicated a previously unreleased track.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
Matt, do you know if the extra cuts on the re-issues are the same versions that appeared on Pisces Iscariot (i.e., Hello Kitty Kat)...they have titles that suggest they are new versions but there are only a couple of songs that "*" ...which indicated a previously unreleased track.

From what I'm seeing no they're not the same versions, I think there may be one or two similar tracks but there different versions, ex "Frail and Bedazzled"

Plus I think that Pisces Iscariot may be one off the reissues coming out.

You can check out the the track listings of both Gish and Siamese Dream remasters on https://www.smashingpumpkins.com/

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
So the Oceania songs are part of Teargarden? Hm. Not sure if I want it now. I was planning on just buying the whole damn thing when they release the box set in 2013.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
I'll check out Oceania since all the Teargarden stuff so far has sounded terrible so this might be a bit better.

But it's not SP without at least one other Pumpkin.

Offline faemir

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »
I'll check out Oceania since all the Teargarden stuff so far has sounded terrible so this might be a bit better.

But it's not SP without at least one other Pumpkin.

...how? It's already been shown that he has done the majority of the work in all of the band's history bar a couple of years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
Just doesn't seem like it should be called SP. It's always been Jimmy and Billy. Now it's just Billy.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »
Just doesn't seem like it should be called SP. It's always been Jimmy and Billy. Now it's just Billy.

Except on Adore ;)

No, I hear you and totally feel your sentiment here.  Jimmy was such a key part of the "sound" so I was very sad when he decided to leave.  Not sure what the whole story was there but I'm sad they couldn't work it out.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
From what I'm seeing no they're not the same versions, I think there may be one or two similar tracks but there different versions, ex "Frail and Bedazzled"

Plus I think that Pisces Iscariot may be one off the reissues coming out.

indeed, there's two or three tracks total that have been previously released. however, the only song not previously heard may be "USSR" on the SD reissue (if it doesn't turn out to be a title of a previously known demo that was called something else).

and Pisces is scheduled for Record Store Day 2012, or so is the last word so far.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »

Except on Adore ;)

No, I hear you and totally feel your sentiment here.  Jimmy was such a key part of the "sound" so I was very sad when he decided to leave.  Not sure what the whole story was there but I'm sad they couldn't work it out.

Wikipedia says Billy fired him. But that's probably Billy making out that it was Billy's decision.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »

This time around I'm pretty sure Jimmy left on his own decisions, however I think he was fired pre Adore, because of drugs. Here's what JC said about his departure this time around. "a positive move forward for me. I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don't fully possess" . . . Like WilliamMunny said Wikipeda says BC fire JC but I really don't believe it. Billy is IMO a genius, and is definitely a person who needs to be in control, so if he can say that JC was fired and this was his (Billy's) decision then he'll feel better about it. . .  God I hope that kinda made some kind of sense.

That being said Jimmy was a big part of the sound like Kotowboy said. He's the kind of drummer that when a track starts up and the drums kick in you can tell it's him, at least this is how it is for me.

Matt

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:40:15 AM by matt1722 »

Offline faemir

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
If I remember correctly, there was a disagreement over what sort of band that they both wanted it to be. Jimmy wanted to be more of a touring band playing the old classics while Billy wanted to make lots of new material like a normal band.