Author Topic: OTBOA Stems For Download.  (Read 31235 times)

Offline yesrushdt

Re: OTBOA Stems For Download.
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
The processing you hear throughout the song is not Autotune.  It's multiple takes and chorusing effects.  Also, if you take 2 vocal takes and pan them L/R and then pitch shift one side 1 way by a few cents and the other side the other way by a few cents, it creates a chorus effect that lessens the differences in the takes pitch wise.  It's like a fake autotune that also makes the vocals sound more processed.

Auto-tune............fake auto-tune..........whatever it is, it sounds horrible to my ears.  I would much, much rather hear LaBrie's live singing over this.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »
As a bassist JMX sounds fine  ??? ??? ??? I'm confused at the criticism.

Offline johncal

« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »
When you listen to the base track by itself, it definitely sounds sloppy. When you listen to the base and drum tracks together it sounds really tight. I think it's because there's some swing to Mangini's groove and JM plays to it, but without hearing him play to the drums it sounds off. Sombody further up the post mentioned that and then it was easy for me to see, especially since I'm a drummer. It just never dawned on me.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
especially since I'm a drummer.

That makes sense.

Offline Shumpun

« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »
It's funny you don't hear the snare reverb much over the total mix. It seems like too much of a long decay type reverb but then again the overall mix sounded pretty good so maybe there is something to that.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
I love how Mangini and Myung are so locked in. You could really here on the Black Clouds stems how Portnoy and Myung weren't even speaking on a musical level apparently.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
That's a lot of reverb on the snare. I like it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline soulburner

« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2011, 03:44:32 AM »
I love the reverb on the drums track - it's kind of popular *not* to have any reverb at all in most modern rock records. It's very refreshing... although hardly audible on the CD.

I love the stems. Especially the fact there's no need to correct anything, like on the BC&SL ones ;) Just make the drums and bass a little louder than in the final mix, make the guitar a tiny bit softer and... you get a very dynamic, great sounding song. You actually appreciate Andy Wallace's mixing... which was kind of ruined by Ted Jensen's mastering (and I'm not saying Ted Jensen is a bad engineer, if the band requested a dynamic, loudness-war-free master they'd get one).

I hope the band releases stems to all the songs. What do we do to make them do that? :D
Not only for the purpose of fixing the CD - things like OsMosis2259 posted are amazing. Can't wait to hear more things of this kind!

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
"We're sorry there was a problem accessing the server. Please try again..."

What if I don't feel like trying again after 10 tries? Seriously why isn't the download work for meee....

E: Okay it worked when I changed to Firefox from Safari.

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
still cannot validate my cd, fuck :facepalm:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
still cannot validate my cd, fuck :facepalm:

Happened to me too. I just kept dicking around with it.

This MIGHT be a solution.

Put the CD in, select that you have the itunes download, it won't find it on your computer, THEN go back and press that you have the CD. It might have been coincidence, but it worked for me.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
WOW.  it looks like we might need a support line number for this.  I know everyone that has a valid copy that CAN'T get the stems must be frustrated.

I do network support and i know that things like this can always be an issue.  The problem is that it needs to be on a case by case basis.

The stems are great and i was able to work through the issues.  I might be biting off more than i can chew but i would be wiling to work with members on a case by case basis to help - as long as they went through the basics.  Send me a PM and i'll see what i can do.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »
Just finished transcribing the guitar parts for powertabs.

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:46 AM »
So... I might have missed it, if there's info on it elsewhere on the board, but will there be a thread on these boards where we can share our remixes/creations? There will undoubtedly be some great things inspired by the stems. I remember there was such a thread when people started fooling around with the BCSL stems.

I know one could put it up on Youtube, but wouldn't it be nice if we had it gathered on the boards as well? Assuming it is legal to share these remixes, maybe someone else can chime in on that subject?

Again, if this has been talked about in other threads, my apologies.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2011, 06:37:19 AM »
Just finished transcribing the guitar parts for powertabs.
Would you like to share?

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
WOW.  it looks like we might need a support line number for this.  I know everyone that has a valid copy that CAN'T get the stems must be frustrated.

I certainly am, but that's mainly because I just tried to validate with a Public Enemy CD in the drive.   :facepalm:

Where the hell did I put ADToE?

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2011, 07:09:17 AM »
Anyone know if other stems will be made available? I'd love to get my hands on a few for learning purposes.

Offline soulburner

« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
So this is it? No stems of other tracks?
Has anyone done anything interesting with the OTBOA stems or are they useless to the community?

I'm not a musician, so I just rebalanced the instruments a little and removed the "double vocals" thing on LaBrie, which I can't stand... I'd love to do that on the rest of the songs as I find it overused and thus annoying :(

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
So this is it? No stems of other tracks?
Has anyone done anything interesting with the OTBOA stems or are they useless to the community?

I'm not a musician, so I just rebalanced the instruments a little and removed the "double vocals" thing on LaBrie, which I can't stand... I'd love to do that on the rest of the songs as I find it overused and thus annoying :(

I love when artists double track their vocals! It hasn't sounded this good since SFAM imo.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
And here I was, thinking this thread was resurrected because I was imagining that DT released all the Stems for all the songs off ADTOE as some sort of Christmas promotion. This is what I get for lying to myself. /sigh

Offline 02T

« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
I could never get the download to work using IE.  Finally gave up.  (I had both the iTunes download and the CD, neither worked.)  Just something to keep me from working on my own music, anyways.  That's how I justify it to myself when I'm crying at night.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »
I could never get the download to work using IE.  Finally gave up.  (I had both the iTunes download and the CD, neither worked.)  Just something to keep me from working on my own music, anyways.  That's how I justify it to myself when I'm crying at night.
I don't want to be that guy, but it was probably IE.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
I would pay for stems from other songs.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
JLB's vocals are produced extremely well on this record. Some of my favorite out of all the albums. The effects and particularly the vocal mix is top notch. By themselves... that's solo'd vocal stems sound now in modern music. Doubled, effected, etc. But with the music it sounds kick ass.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
JLB's vocals are produced extremely well on this record. Some of my favorite out of all the albums. The effects and particularly the vocal mix is top notch. By themselves... that's solo'd vocal stems sound now in modern music. Doubled, effected, etc. But with the music it sounds kick ass.

Agree.  I really love that he had the guff to say he wanted to record them with his longtime friend up in Toronto.  Over the years JP and MP all had a lot of say in doing what kept them in their comfort zone and I'm glad James finally got to make a demand of his own.  Regardless, JP still got to be present for the recording of 2 or 3 songs so every party was happy. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
The processing you hear throughout the song is not Autotune.  It's multiple takes and chorusing effects.  Also, if you take 2 vocal takes and pan them L/R and then pitch shift one side 1 way by a few cents and the other side the other way by a few cents, it creates a chorus effect that lessens the differences in the takes pitch wise.  It's like a fake autotune that also makes the vocals sound more processed.

Auto-tune............fake auto-tune..........whatever it is, it sounds horrible to my ears.  I would much, much rather hear LaBrie's live singing over this.
If you want "live singing" then I guess you need to attend a show, that's not how things are done -by any bands- in the studio.  What you are hearing on these stems is just two individual takes, one panned right and one panned left.  There are some effects on it as 7StringedBeast correctly identified, but other than that, you're hearing James LaBrie singing.

I think Dream Theater should be commended for releasing material like this to their fans.  There's an old saying about sausage.  Everyone likes sausage, but not everyone wants to see it being made.  The same idea can be applied here.  If you think these "stems" sound crummy, then you'd be astonished at what the raw, unprocessed tracks sound like.  Welcome to [sausage] music [/sausage] production.  That's just how it works.

Offline 02T

« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
The "sloppiness" is something I've heard on almost every multi-track split I've heard.  (Killer Queen might be the only exception.)  But when you put them together, it's magic.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline darkshade

« Reply #168 on: December 26, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
You know what happens when you put "perfect" tracks together? The music sound mechanical, which almost always garners negative criticisms.

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »
Interestingly, I found something pretty odd while making my own mix using the OTBOA stems. At exactly 4:40.448 into Jordan's Keyboard stem (most audible in the right channel), there is a very weird and unnatural mechanical sounding noise (sort of like the noise that an old mechanical lever would make while being activated). I don't know whether it's some kind of distorted reverb effect from the last note of that section, but I don't think it's pronounced enough to have been purposefully included into the song.

So, am I just hearing things, or do you guys hear it too?
(Btw, Happy New Year!)
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline Cable

« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
These are simply great to hear.

As Kirk said, it may ruin the magic for some. Staying away then would be the best course.

However, for many, it is simply telling and great to hear. I am an amateur musician, and when recording I am always concerned with my bass playing. Hearing Myung play is great, because during a full mix you cannot fully hear the various sounds in his playing. So it may sound sloppy to many, but actually it is real sounding and normal. Now I know Geddy Lee, when isolated, would probably sound the same thinking of 'Moving Pictures' tone.

I also agree with Kirk about bands having the courage to release these. Although they are still produced, it does lend to more open analysis.

It also really shows how much JM backs up and thickens JP's sound and tone.
---

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »

As Kirk said, it may ruin the magic for some. Staying away then would be the best course.

However, for many, it is simply telling and great to hear. I am an amateur musician, and when recording I am always concerned with my bass playing. Hearing Myung play is great, because during a full mix you cannot fully hear the various sounds in his playing. So it may sound sloppy to many, but actually it is real sounding and normal. Now I know Geddy Lee, when isolated, would probably sound the same thinking of 'Moving Pictures' tone.

I also agree with Kirk about bands having the courage to release these. Although they are still produced, it does lend to more open analysis.

I remember when they released the stems for BC&SL....I was expecting individual tracks, not a single track of the drums, a single track of the bass, a single track of the guitar, etc.....I thought they were actually going to release the raw tracks.  To me, that was incredible.   :eek   How could any band do such a thing?

So, when it turned out to be the stems, already heavily produced, I guess I was a little bit disappointed, truth be told.

But still, it's better than nothing.  And it's pretty damned cool to be able to try to learn some of the parts or put your own guitar solo in there or whatever.....big props to Dream Theater for doing it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kQsVk8K4c

Not as sloppy as Myung's track sounds, though that's understandable considering that Rush depends a lot more on Geddy's sound than DT depends on Myung's.

Having said that, I did bring up Myung and Mangini considerably in my mix.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2016, 10:17:56 PM »
I was just messing around with Behind The Veil stems when I remembered that DT released the OTBOA stems... When they were made available I downloaded it after validating my physical copy of the album. But years after I lost the files, accidentally erased from my external hd. The download is not available anymore on DT's website, so... Anyone has any clue on how can I get them back?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2016, 10:32:27 PM »
I was just messing around with Behind The Veil stems when I remembered that DT released the OTBOA stems... When they were made available I downloaded it after validating my physical copy of the album. But years after I lost the files, accidentally erased from my external hd. The download is not available anymore on DT's website, so... Anyone has any clue on how can I get them back?
Perhaps you can e-mail them?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing