Author Topic: OTBOA Stems For Download.  (Read 31236 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: OTBOA Stems For Download.
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
What is a triggered snare? Does it just mean it's electronic?
not exactly. triggering is a more specific process by which the recorded snare hits (that the drummer actually played) are tracked by a plugin or external module and replaced with equivalent volume/intensity hits with another snare sound.

it's usually used to aid and/or repair shitty recording of snare drums. i've started using it (specifically Drumagog) because it's impossible to get a good-sounding snare out of the studio at my school.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
I REALLY don't like this setup. I uninstalled Java for a very specific reason. I'm not reinstalling it so I can get these stems and the MP3s of the new Opeth's bonus tracks.

If you got the special edition of Heritage and you know what you're doing you can rip the bonus tracks off the DVD.  That's what I ended up doing.  Don't know how I'll get the stems though when I get my box set though, although I guess I don't really care.  I never even put the stems from the BC&SL in my computer  :lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
Working! Downloading!

Mac Lion, Safari, entering CD first, then opening site.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2011, 03:29:08 AM »
Anyone else hear that noise behind the guitar stem?

Offline Shumpun

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »
I can hear a humming noise, but also during the piano breakdown while there is not guitar you can hear the leakage of the other instruments. That may have been leaking from his headphones but odd they would not edit that out.

The editing glitch that annoys me is the one during Mangini's most incredible fill right before that piano break at 5:55-5:56- you can hear a clicking in the drum track lining up with the kick twice and I am pretty sure it is a cut/punch in where they did not cross-fade it. It drives me nuts and I can even hear it in the whole mix!!! I can't believe the engineer did not fix that. Pro Tools 101.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
Just downloaded stems. JR work is awesome..... MM snare is weird :) but anyway  :hefdaddy

Offline MarlaHooch

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
The little things Mangini does really get lost in the mix.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »
Or maybe your brain can't comprehend the awesome and blocks it out.

Offline johncal

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »
The little things Mangini does really get lost in the mix.

Definitely, there's a lot of stuff that you absolutely don't hear.... like the chimes.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
Here is my attempt on a vocal cover.
I used Digital Boss Recorder and a condenser microphone to record all the vocals. Sorry I am a noob on memorizing lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxIciWFanv4

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
Or maybe your brain can't comprehend the awesome and blocks it out.

Offline Shumpun

« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
You can hear MM breathe right before the tom roll out of the piano break section back into the groove. This is actually on purpose- has to do with using different ways to internalize the groove outside of physical movement- using the voice/breathing. He taught me about that in a lessons years ago.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
The keyboard stem has a cool video game feel to it.

Offline sunseeker

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »
Rudess's track is beyond awesome :hefdaddy

But... I'm really dissapointed with Myung's work :/ Sounds - pardon the blasphemy - sloppy as hell :/ Anyone else feel the same way?

Offline yesrushdt

« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
The vocals are pretty damn funny on their own... Would love to see the rest of the album made available.

It's sad he used that much autotune.  You could tell from the BC&SL stems he used autotune, but the overuse on ADTOE is just ridiculous.  I'm surprised they even considered making this available for download.  Robot LaBrie.........yikes.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
 :facepalm:

...not again.

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
wow inconsistent bass
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
wow inconsistent bass

Maybe he needs to practice more.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
The vocals are pretty damn funny on their own... Would love to see the rest of the album made available.

It's sad he used that much autotune.  You could tell from the BC&SL stems he used autotune, but the overuse on ADTOE is just ridiculous.  I'm surprised they even considered making this available for download.  Robot LaBrie.........yikes.

Specific examples or it didn't happen

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2011, 02:46:30 PM »
It didn't happen. What I hear is JLB double tracking, panning left and right, and then using a fair bit of chorus to blend the two takes together. You can even hear where he is a few cents out of tune with himself between the takes. Had they autotuned it, these disparities wouldn't be noticable.

Offline E.S.

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
It's really not fair to call JM's track sloppy, it really isn't. With that much distortion, it sounds really ugly in solo, but listen to it with the drums, and it's groovin like a beast. And that's what matters, isn't it? He plays in time, and I was very surprised to hear that he REALLY digs in, just like Geddy Lee. His playing style is really similar at times, and if you listen to the isolated Rush tracks from Moving Pictures, those tracks aren't any tighter sounding, but as a whole, it's perfect. That's the thing, it can sound sorta sloppy in isolation, especially distorted bass, but put it back in the song, and it's just wonderful.

At least it proves that they are human, even JM.  :biggrin:

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
You can hear MM breathe right before the tom roll out of the piano break section back into the groove. This is actually on purpose- has to do with using different ways to internalize the groove outside of physical movement- using the voice/breathing. He taught me about that in a lessons years ago.
never heard anything like this, this guy is unbelievable

Offline johncal

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
It's really not fair to call JM's track sloppy, it really isn't. With that much distortion, it sounds really ugly in solo, but listen to it with the drums, and it's groovin like a beast. And that's what matters, isn't it? He plays in time, and I was very surprised to hear that he REALLY digs in, just like Geddy Lee. His playing style is really similar at times, and if you listen to the isolated Rush tracks from Moving Pictures, those tracks aren't any tighter sounding, but as a whole, it's perfect. That's the thing, it can sound sorta sloppy in isolation, especially distorted bass, but put it back in the song, and it's just wonderful.

I thought it was sloppy as well but after listening to your explanation I have to agree with you.

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »

That's interesting. I've read many posts here bashing JM's work on BC&SL, and now I'm wondering if your explanation could also be applied to it, or was it just flat out sloppy on BC&SL?

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
JMX is a ninja. I would exercise caution in discussing any so-called "sloppiness" in a public setting.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
It didn't happen. What I hear is JLB double tracking, panning left and right, and then using a fair bit of chorus to blend the two takes together. You can even hear where he is a few cents out of tune with himself between the takes. Had they autotuned it, these disparities wouldn't be noticable.

EXACTLY.  I've said it before, so I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I cringed when JLB said he used some autotune in the studio.  Props to him for being honest but now too many people here anything processed a different way and think that its autotune.  I've heard a few things that sound like it MIGHT be autotune, but it is so subtle (not nearly the obvious sore thumb that people make it out to be) that no one can say with absolute certainty that it is. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »
The processing you hear throughout the song is not Autotune.  It's multiple takes and chorusing effects.  Also, if you take 2 vocal takes and pan them L/R and then pitch shift one side 1 way by a few cents and the other side the other way by a few cents, it creates a chorus effect that lessens the differences in the takes pitch wise.  It's like a fake autotune that also makes the vocals sound more processed.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2011, 12:45:13 AM »

But... I'm really dissapointed with Myung's work :/ Sounds - pardon the blasphemy - sloppy as hell :/ Anyone else feel the same way?
Somebody wrote here that JM is sounding great in the band, not alone. My opinion is, bass is a instrument that has to put together everything in the mix, and it has to work with the drummer, Listen to bass + drums. You can almost touch the feel between these two Guys. So, maybe bass sound which JM is using on OTBOA is floppy when it's alone, but as a whole, He's a master.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2011, 01:19:25 AM »
JM's track might feel sloppy, but as the other guys said when it is mixed with the other instruments it sounds pretty good. And to be honest i always believed that JP's great tone is elevated by JM, giving him more depth and low end.

Offline JustinSire

• may healing waters . . .
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:59 AM »
after hearing these stems I really wish you could hear the drum track more cleanly in the produced version
"And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar." - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

when I'm bored I write a song - https://soundcloud.com/justindanford

Offline Shumpun

« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »
When you mix the tracks with the drums a little louder, you can really hear the triplet fills more clearly- in particular 5:16-5:17. In the final mix that sounds off but if you bring it up in the mix it sounds perfect. I am guessing these types of things will be corrected in the next album as all involved get to know MM's style better. If you really want to drill into his groove, listen to the drum track nice and loud when he comes in after the piano break- you will hear him breathing along with his playing! You also hear a lot of ghost notes on the snare.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Finally got it to validate and listening now.
JR's stems are always amazing and I enjoy listening to them in isolation more than the other instruments.
Didn't like the drum sound at all. Kick sounds so feeble!

Just realised my comments on the drums were total shite. Just didn't have the volume up enough and used the crappy laptop speakers. Using headphones now and  :metal

Offline Addy

« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
Wow, it's a shame that so many nuances of MM's playing were buried in the mix. Drum track is amazing, world class drumming, it's so much fun listening to it only. And that fill right before JR's piano interlude - :omg: + :hefdaddy
But the reverb on the snare  - dunno what to think about it ;)

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

Somebody wrote here that JM is sounding great in the band, not alone. My opinion is, bass is a instrument that has to put together everything in the mix, and it has to work with the drummer, Listen to bass + drums. You can almost touch the feel between these two Guys. So, maybe bass sound which JM is using on OTBOA is floppy when it's alone, but as a whole, He's a master.
Sounds pretty tight to me...It doesn't sound that great in solo because of the distortion. There's nothing wrong with Myung's playing, and I'm a bass player. I guess some will think of the distortion and his rather aggressive plucking as sloppyness, because they don't know any better, but that's a sound/technique thing. His hard plucking make the strings touch the frets quite much (just like when playing slap bass), which together with distortion probably sounds sloppy to some (to me it sounds aggressive). Bass will always sound a bit like that anyway, depending on the particular bass, setup and EQ. I'm talking from experience here. And yes Cody, the bass sounds great together with the drums. Tight rhythm section IMO.
Speaking of the stems, I just made a small mix variation myself (drums and bass a bit louder, and some other minor changes). I only wish I had all the drum tracks, but anyway the stems are great.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:30:07 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.