Author Topic: [thread title changed]Is it safe to sell your phone if you're getting a new one?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
They fucked up and didn't process my over the phone payment yesterday and now I can't reach  a live operator through the phone number listed for customer service on their website. The automated line wants me to basically pay for the same bill twice since the system won't do shit without payment since some chowderhead fucked it up in the system and I'm showing up as not payed for this month. What to do? Josh doesn't wanna have to choke a bitch today.

After the "fuck you" I've received by the barely-English speaking call center with boost mobile I'm changing phones immediately. I wanna offset that expense by selling my old phone but need to know what to do to avoid being liable for whatever the purchaser does with it (i.e. if they got into any legal trouble by making harassing calls, etc.) Do I need to deactivate it in some way or is it as simple as just removing the sim card?

I'm also gonna do some homework for this but I'll first ask what y'all recommend as a decent inexpensive phone carrier with no contract and unlimited talk/text.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:03:48 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: How the **** do you reach Boost Mobile live operators by phone on a sunday?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
LOL Boost Mobile.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:02:07 PM by MasterShakezula »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
LOL Boost Mobile.

Lol paying more than $50/month if you don't use the internet on your phone and get unlimited minutes/texting for a flat rate.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »
Did it show up on your bank statement?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »
Did it show up on your bank statement?

My folks paid it with their card and I gave them cash. Don't know the answer to that as of now.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
Hmm...that should be what you check first.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
Okay, didn't show up on their statement yet but that could take 72 hours from the time the payment was processed. I've now gone through their automated line seven times and been hung up on at least three of those by system failure. I'm going with that $30 Wal Mart thing because I will end up going to the call center and leave a trail of apocalyptic crimson the next time I go through this much trouble because of someone else's/programming failure. I just lost an hour of watching NFL sunday ticket for this bullshit.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
LOL Boost Mobile.

Lol paying more than $50/month if you don't use the internet on your phone and get unlimited minutes/texting for a flat rate.

While the price is low, which is nice. I've never heard anyone say anything even close to good about the cell service. Or the customer service, for that matter. Which you're now experiencing.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »
LOL Boost Mobile.

While the price is low, which is nice. I've never heard anyone say anything even close to good about the cell service. Or the customer service, for that matter. Which you're now experiencing.

After one year I've saved $600-700 over what I was paying to have a Razr with AT&T on a 900 minute plan. No unlimited talk/text. I'll take one bad day in the long run, I await your counter point.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
For the longest time I was on MetroPCS. Kinda sucked when you know better options are out there and not THAT much more. Now that I can afford a smartphone it has made life easier/faster in some regards.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
LOL Boost Mobile.

After one year I've saved $600-700 over what I was paying to have a Razr with AT&T on a 900 minute plan. No unlimited talk/text. I'll take one bad day in the long run, I await your counter point.

I'm glad it works for you. A few of my friends tried it and they could hardly get cell signal anywhere. Might be a regional thing though. In my area, the only company that gets reliable signal is Verizon. Well, that and Straight Talk, which actually has access to all cell towers in the area, from what I understand.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
I've now tried calling them more than ten times and been hung up on by the system each time. I seriously haven't been this angry in 15 years.

Edit: This is all just a repeat of what I just edited into the OP but I wanted to cover my bases so both newcomers to this thread and those who read the old OP whom wouldn't think to read it again would see my new questions...

Quote from: a very livid black_floyd
After the "fuck you" I've received by the barely-English speaking call center with boost mobile I'm changing phones immediately. I wanna offset that expense by selling my old phone but need to know what to do to avoid being liable for whatever the purchaser does with it (i.e. if they got into any legal trouble by making harassing calls, etc.) Do I need to deactivate it in some way or is it as simple as just removing the sim card?

I'm also gonna do some homework for this but I'll first ask what y'all recommend as a decent inexpensive phone carrier with no contract and unlimited talk/text.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:09:10 PM by black_floyd »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
I don't know, but I wouldn't recommend doing it until after you get a new phone and you're positive that you're going with the new one.

Then, sell the old one independently.  Don't put money in the cell phone distributors' pockets; put it in your own!