Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Appreciation thread!  (Read 31174 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: Lost Not Forgotten Appreciation thread!
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »

It's because you weren't here at the time when ADTOE was being released. One guy, Thiago, who is quite famous among DT fans for his great (and aknowledged my MP) split screen covers, came here with a lenghty analysis maintaining that ADTOE was a blatant ripoff of Images And Words. An unpolite discussion ensued and Thiago was either banned or left without ever coming back.

Don't forget how MP tried to stir up the controversy by saying it was blatantly obvious to him by the time he listened to the album, and i remember he posted once again to say that this matter should be discussed more by the fans. Good times.

But we went off topic :sadpanda:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
I was actually being serious along with taking a lighthearted jab at Thiago. LNF does indeed sound too much like UAGM for me to appreciate it all that much.

Offline Pinga

« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »
I think it is fair to not like the song because it sounds like UAGM. To me, it does, but I do not really mind. However, when things really went sour back then is when Thiago accused the band of consciously writing it like UAGM, and when MP capitalized on Thiago's comments. The accusations were absolutely absurd.

But, I digress. I think the song is amazing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
I think the similarities are too huge to be unintentional, especially considering that most of the ADTOE songs are similar to I&W songs, but even if they did write LNF with UAGM in mind, I don't think it's such a big deal. There are many songs in the world that share a structure similar to each other, like most of the pop songs today. And in a way it's an interesting idea to take the basic idea of an old song and write a new one with it. But obviously I prefer if artists write something completely new without thinking about some old song.

LNF is one of my least favorites on ADTOE, but that's not saying much since it's my 3rd favorite DT album and I like all the songs. Like I said, I don't mind the similarities, but I think UAGM is better. The only thing that makes LNF slightly weaker than the rest of ADTOE (except BMUBMD) is the tickle section - it feels kind of tacked on. The rest of the song is great, though, especially the keyboard solo which is one of Jordan's best.

Offline Rob

« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
I can't really appreciate Lost Not Forgotten that much because it sounds too much like Under A Glass Moon.

/Thiago

You forgot a :neverusethis: in there.

Yeah, I got that it was just a joke, but jokes have to follow some logic, too and the "Thiago" part doesn't make any sense.

It's because you weren't here at the time when ADTOE was being released. One guy, Thiago, who is quite famous among DT fans for his great (and aknowledged my MP) split screen covers, came here with a lenghty analysis maintaining that ADTOE was a blatant ripoff of Images And Words. An unpolite discussion ensued and Thiago was either banned or left without ever coming back.

Uhm, yeah, I was there (reading the forum) and I know it and I just posted a quote from Thiago. If you just scroll up a little, you can see that I know exactly what you are talking about.

And Thiago NEVER claimed that "ADTOE was a blatant ripoff of Images and Words". Did you actually read what he said? He said that there are structural similarities that obviously are no coincidence. And that certainly is true. And my point right now was that Thiago never said anything bad about that, he just pointed it out and people just always seem to think that believing that those structural similarities are intentional is the same as CRITICIZING it, which is not.

It was Portnoy who looked at this thing in a negative way, not Thiago.

Thiago:

"I have no idea why Dream Theater did this. Maybe because it was the album that “made them” in a time where it was a do or die for their careers, so it’s an inspiring model. Maybe because this represents a new beginning for them with Mike Mangini, as it was when James Labrie joined the band back then. Maybe to celebrate 20 years of the album that defined the Dream Theater sound? Maybe they just thought it would be a fun challenge to write unique songs over pre-established charts, much like a few fans did (myself included) when they held the Stream of Consciousness song-writing contest back in 2002-2003. Either way, I applaud them for having the balls to do it and for the overall quality the end result turned out to have. I know how hard it is to write a song based off of a pre-established arrangement and have it sound concise, genuine and inspired. The tendency is to have a fucked up Frankenstein instead of music, so props to DT for pulling it off."

That's why my point is, the joke "I don't like it because it sounds too similar to UAGM /Thiago" is not justified. You could say /Portnoy, but, yeah, you see what I mean, right?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:14:45 AM by Rob »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
Didn't Thiago argue that the equivalent song to Surrounded on the album was BMUBMD?

Yeah.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
Let the light surround youuuuuuuuu

BUIIIIIIILD
MEEEEEE
WUUUUUUUUUUUP

I totally get the reference.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Rob

« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
Yeah, that one was very far-fetched, but he did say that was one he wasn't sure about at all and he's right with a lot of stuff, so it's pretty childish to keep laughing about him.

And that wasn't even part of the discussion. This thread is about LNF and Zook actually doesn't like the fact that the song is too close to UAGM. All I'm saying is that the addition "/Thiago" isn't fair, because he never said that there was something actually bad about those similarities, he merely pointed them out. On the contrary, he even said that DT did a great job.

Offline Pinga

« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2012, 10:33:20 PM »
Are you in Thiago's band?

Offline Rob

« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Alright, I'm out.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:29 AM »
I couldn't care less if LNF was based from UaGM, or if ADToE was based from IaW.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »
I couldn't care less if LNF was based from UaGM, or if ADToE was based from IaW.

Well, that's exactly the point!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2012, 02:32:57 AM »
Oh.  Okay. :)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »
Yeah, that one was very far-fetched, but he did say that was one he wasn't sure about at all and he's right with a lot of stuff, so it's pretty childish to keep laughing about him.

And that wasn't even part of the discussion. This thread is about LNF and Zook actually doesn't like the fact that the song is too close to UAGM. All I'm saying is that the addition "/Thiago" isn't fair, because he never said that there was something actually bad about those similarities, he merely pointed them out. On the contrary, he even said that DT did a great job.

Anyone who ever VAGUELY connects Surrounded and BMUBMD, sorry, I'm gonna laugh at that shit. Even if he had a point-and I'm not sure he did-that completely buried it.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »

This is probably the only ragecomic to make me laugh in recent times (and yes I realize it was posted forever ago).

Offline ClarkeMSmith

« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
Tickle section???  Is that what everyone calls it? Who started that?  I love that section more than words can tell.  I show it to people to get their bewildered reaction. I ask musicians, how the hell did they not only do that - how did they think it up?  1:90 in the song, got it memorized.  Please tell me about this phrase "tickle section"!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2016, 03:44:40 PM »
Tickle section???  Is that what everyone calls it? Who started that?  I love that section more than words can tell.  I show it to people to get their bewildered reaction. I ask musicians, how the hell did they not only do that - how did they think it up?  1:90 in the song, got it memorized.  Please tell me about this phrase "tickle section"!

Should we be gearing up for dozens of resurrected threads?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2016, 07:22:03 AM »

I think that was started by Petrucci, who said that section is like when someone is tickling you and you want them to stop and they don't and it keeps going on and on. 

Personally, I am not a fan of that section, and feel like is completely disrupts what is otherwise a really good intro and a very good song.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
This song is totally badass. Love the piano bits, awesome guitar solo, drumming and overall groove.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
I think that was started by Petrucci, who said that section is like when someone is tickling you and you want them to stop and they don't and it keeps going on and on. 

Personally, I am not a fan of that section, and feel like is completely disrupts what is otherwise a really good intro and a very good song.
Interesting, I never knew that either.
On the one hand I like it because it's just plain ridiculous. On the other it really doesn't fit well with the rest of the song. Great song overall though.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2017, 12:39:08 AM »
I feel that section just makes the song that much more badass!  I have a friend that's not that into DT, but whenever he hears that song he is blown away and realizes how good they are.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Agreed. That section of the album as well as Outcry's instrumental section makes me realize how powerfully technical those Dream Theater guys are. They also have epic team chemistry and man, that must be so hard to pull off!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »

The song features a diminished passage of unison playing. Said Petrucci: "I wrote it out and built it piece by piece, programming drums as I went. I showed it to Jordan (Rudess, keyboards), who said, 'That's crazy!' He learned it and put a harmony to it.

We played it for some of the people from Roadrunner who came by as we were recording, and they went crazy. One of them remarked that the diminished section was like being tickled – that feeling you get where you're saying, 'Stop, stop!' but somebody keeps tickling you anyway. So we started referring to that part as 'The Tickle Section.'"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnqojyUeTc8

Mangini!!

Love the first comment! :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnqojyUeTc8

Mangini!!

Love the first comment! :rollin

Ha ha! The replies are both funny and sad.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2017, 12:38:41 AM »
I like the instrumental section of this song  :tup
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!