Author Topic: This is the Life appreciation thread  (Read 14047 times)

Offline Cygnus17

Re: This is the Life appreciation thread
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
Very good song.  IMO their best slower stuff is on ADTOE.  Great album top to bottom.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
I appreciate life.

I see what you did there.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
If we're counting it as one of ADTOE's ballads, then it would definitely be my favorite one off the album. Wonderful melodies and is overall quite beautiful.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
Post-MP DT is awesome. ADTOE definitely is better, and TITL is a wonderful song.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
I don't think this song is appreciated enough really.  It is just a great song, great message, and great melodies.  When listening to it, I can't help but feel good. 

It's funny because JP's lyrics are poetic most of time (aside from BC&SL).  You can tell what they are about but they usually speak so broadly I almost feel like they are written about a certain time in my life.  Then we he describes what the song is about, he is so blunt and not eloquent, I almost wish he didn't try to describe it.  With this one he basically said that he was thinking about the band and he was like, "This is the life!"  Ok...I could describe it a lot better but in the end, its not his description that matters, its the song.  and the song simply rules. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2014, 04:43:54 AM »
Great song, great album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
This song has grown on me. I basically trashed it when the album came out. But I've listened to it a bit more and I think it's decent after a bunch of listens.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
When that album was released, it took me about a month to notice that This is the life was probably the most beautiful song of the album.  At first, I looked at the high skills technical songs but listening to the album so many times in my car, I had no choice but consider that song the very best of the album.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
My favorite post-MP DT song, by a long shot, and the only post-MP DT song to make my Top Ten DT songs overall.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2014, 08:15:18 PM »
The song definitely grew on me quite a bit since having first heard it. And I'd say it has the best vocals on the whole album.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
I love the lyrics because "this" is vague to put your own interpretation of what this life is. Even the faults are all the same, some get lost, some live it gracefully, but all in all it's divine.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »
Great song.  Has anybody seen this?  Magnificent!  Hope this is ok to post.  Mods let me know if it isn't.
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/afZ6pDRPV5o
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
This is the only "loud" song on the album to me. I like it, but a little quieter - FOR ME - and I'd be happier.

Ah. I'm glad I don't have to be the first person to say it.   "This is The Life" is the only song on the album where I notice mastering flaws. There's one part where it just seems to start breaking up.
The mastering is generally good throughout the album though IMHO.

The mix is awesome of course.     ;) ;) ;) ;) I met Andy Wallace last month. Such a nice guy! He told me that Scheduling conflicts prevented him from mixing the Self-Titled record. (Petrucci wanted him to mix it I believe)    Oh man, could you imagine what DT12 would have sounded like with Andy Wallace at the board again?
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
I'll also note that when the track list was first released to the public for ADTOE, I envisioned "This is the Life" to be a swifter, faster moving song about how awesome it is to be in Dream Theater.
I'm not even kidding.  Some lyrics about getting to see the world while on tour with 4+ of your best friends. Ya know. Like when you're at a beach on a 83-degrees-and-sunny day with a Corona in your hand, "...this is the life man! Can't beat this..."
So when I first heard the song, I was disappointed.      But I'll definitely acknowledge that it's a beautiful tune.   I think seeing it live was pretty powerful.
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
love this song!! the solo is a little reminiscent of Spirit carries On.  A gift Divine indeed!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
Listened to this yesterday for the first time in a while.  Still great.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2014, 06:00:44 PM »
I love it! This was actually the first DT song I heard that I really liked, It was like my introduction to the DT world...
So I know what youre talking about... ;)

Offline ClarkeMSmith

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »
Incredible song.  Brings tears to my eyes sometimes.  It was literally the inspiration to take on an ambitious short film I wanted to do but was afraid to...feed the illusion you dream about...cast out the monsters inside...
and that's just what I did!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »
Incredible song.  Brings tears to my eyes sometimes.  It was literally the inspiration to take on an ambitious short film I wanted to do but was afraid to...feed the illusion you dream about...cast out the monsters inside...
and that's just what I did!

Well let's see the short film!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
Indeed!

Offline ClarkeMSmith

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
Of course!  The trailer is on the main page here, and if you want to see the whole thing, the link is there too.

https://www.timeaxismedia.com/crazyjoe/

Thanks for watching and let me know what you think.  Again, this was an ambitious project, and I'm not kidding - This Is The Life was the song that told me to just DO IT.  So I did.  I fed the illusion I dreamed about.  Not only that, I also cast out the monsters inside...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »
Pretty much a perfect song!  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2016, 10:27:11 AM »
Of course!  The trailer is on the main page here, and if you want to see the whole thing, the link is there too.

https://www.timeaxismedia.com/crazyjoe/

Thanks for watching and let me know what you think.  Again, this was an ambitious project, and I'm not kidding - This Is The Life was the song that told me to just DO IT.  So I did.  I fed the illusion I dreamed about.  Not only that, I also cast out the monsters inside...

Just checked out the trailer.  Looks pretty interesting.  When you said short film I was expecting something that was 10 minutes so I'll have to watch the full length (34 minute) film later.  Looking forward to it, though!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »
Still love this song to pieces. Probably the song I listen to the most from ADTOE. :hat

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
Still love this song to pieces. Probably the song I listen to the most from ADTOE. :hat

I think this is the song I listen to the least. Really can't stand it.

Wanna wrestle?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2016, 01:57:16 PM »

I think this is the song I listen to the least. Really can't stand it.

Wanna wrestle?