Author Topic: Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
I know when this song came out, there were a lot of comparisons to Red.  At the time, I was not familiar with Red, but after since becoming more familiar, I do not really see much similarity.  Still a good song.  But influenced by Red?  Possible, but I'm not really hearing it.
It's not influenced by Red in general, but it sounds almost exactly like Red's song Feed The Machine.  Not sure how you could listen to both songs back to back and not hear it.

Exactly?

Nope.  Not hardly. 

Similar? 

Sure. 

But to bring this back to basketball analogies, if ADTOE is an album full of Jordans with one Pippen, I would suggest that Far from Heaven is the BJ Armstrong of the group. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
It's not bad.  I like it just fine.  I rank it higher than FFH and BTS, easily.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
I like Build me Up, Break Me Down way more than A Nightmare to Remember.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »

But to bring this back to basketball analogies, if ADTOE is an album full of Jordans with one Pippen, I would suggest that Far from Heaven is the BJ Armstrong of the group.

Billie Joe from Green Day plays basketball in his spare time ? :P

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »
fwiw,  it wouldnt be the first time Dream Theater stole borrowed another band's riff/structure.

I'm pretty sure it's obvious what this song's intro inspired during the BC&SL writing sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aB9bW5B00

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
fwiw,  it wouldnt be the first time Dream Theater stole borrowed another band's riff/structure.

I'm pretty sure it's obvious what this song's intro inspired during the BC&SL writing sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aB9bW5B00
Oh wow, never heard that one. That's extremely close  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
Well, to be fair. It's an incredibly common riff. Because it's essentially based on an arpeggiated 7th within the most basic ionian major scales, as it goes from the octave or tonic, to the major 7th then to a perfect 5th, relative to the tonic. Then you can change chord to the 4th 5th or 6th (or 3rd and 7th if you end up switching to the relative minor) and keep using the same riff! It's one of those patterns that's about as common as I V vi IV and funnily enough, say you were in F major, the notes F, E, C would consistently fit over that chord progression. This isn't even DTs first time playing with this pattern, and well before TCOT they used similar patterns in Hells Kitchen, Another Hand. I've heard the pattern in a lot of simpler mainstream songs aswell. Which is why I'd hardly even consider that pattern a ripp off of anything because it's so common. That being said, I can't deny that intro has a strong Count of Tuscany vibe to it. Just wanted to point out, DT have essentially used this riff a few times before though.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
 :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:17:21 AM by JediKnight1969 »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline adamack

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
I love the song. Awesome chorus, one of my favs from ADToE.

JR's work with the orchestral patches is awesome. Those stabs after James screams "Build...Me....Up..." are great.

It used to be my second favorite song from ADToE, but it has not aged as well as the rest. Now, my order would be something like:

1. Breaking All Illusions
2. Bridges In The Sky
3. On The Backs Of Angels
4. Outcry
5. Beneath The Surface
6. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
7. Lost Not Forgotten
8. Far From Heaven
9. This Is The Life

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
I love the song. Awesome chorus, one of my favs from ADToE.

JR's work with the orchestral patches is awesome. Those stabs after James screams "Build...Me....Up..." are great.

Those are the two parts that I DON'T like, haha. The riffs and verses are awesome though.  :metal
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »
I always thought the song was disjointed, the random transition from pre-chorus to chorus is really not so great to me, as well as the generic song structure.

It's still overall an okay song by DT standards, I actually really like the last little minute of strings as it fades out. It's a really badass thing in my opinion, but I just like little things like that :biggrin:
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline LTE3

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »
Because it is a bit corny and not very good by my ST standards. Seems like an attempt at a commercial sounding tune for them which is ok, but I just don't like it and skip it often.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
still the worst DT song, I hate even thinking about it.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
still the worst DT song, I hate even thinking about it.
same here

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
I always thought that Prophets of War, Never Enough and possibly You Not Me were in competition for DT's worst.  I never saw BMU, BMD entering that equation.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
I always thought that Prophets of War, Never Enough and possibly You Not Me were in competition for DT's worst.  I never saw BMU, BMD entering that equation.
I would agree, adding The Answer Lies Within.

But I don't have BMUBMD much higher than that, either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »
Yeah, I don't rank TALW too high but I wouldn't put it close to rock bottom either.  Probably just below average.  I actually like it a little bit.

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
I liked it. ADTOE and I&G were the first albums I listened to. They left the most profound mark on me.
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2014, 12:38:52 AM »
I like TALW and Never Enough a fair bit really. Prophets of War isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be (it's better than, at the very least, Forsaken and TDEN off SC alone). You Not Me is bad but it's a safe bad. I don't like it and it's in my bottom 10 but I don't really "hate" it like I do their worst stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 12:57:59 AM »
Prophets of War isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be (it's better than, at the very least, Forsaken and TDEN off SC alone).

I agree PoW isn't that bad, but no and no. Forsaken is a much better constructed short song, and TDEN is hugely underrated for how good it is.

I don't think any of these songs are as bad as the reactions indicate. You Not Me is pretty average, but it's inoffensive and unworthy of hate. Just skip it and be done with it. My only real criticism of it is that the chorus doesn't fit the song at all, but I don't think the chorus is bad in itself (and it's better than YOM).
Same with TALW. It plods along, but there's really nothing to hate about it. Regarding BMUBMD, it's a fairly average DT metal "single", but it's not bad either. I don't listen to it now, but I enjoyed it as part of the whole album. They kept it concise and to the point, and there's nothing about it I dislike.
Never Enough is the only one of these I really can't listen to any more, and would say it is among DT's worst songs, but even that has sections I like, there's just too much I don't like in it as well.

I don't disagree that these are among DT's weaker songs, but I don't get the outright hate for a lot of them either. Most of them are not songs I'd go out of my way to listen to, but if I'm listening to the album, I can listen to them and enjoy them. For as long as WDADU exists, none of these songs is truly in competition for DT's worst song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »
I think that the effects in the intro and especially the drum machine-sounding loops may turn some fans off a little.  I didn't like the song when I first heard it, but it grew on me with time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I like this song, but I don't love it.  I think the drum loops at the beginning are great, and I think Rudess some does great work in this tune.  I like the verses a lot, with the vocal effects and those keyboard flourishes after every few lines.  The chorus does sound like it missed the mark a tad, but it's not bad or anything, just not notable.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2015, 09:49:49 PM »
Definite bottom 5 DT song IMO :loser:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2015, 05:15:32 AM »
I still think this song is fantastic, the melodies are as memorable as the riffs and all the heavy bits. James shines with the screams, and the unison section is truly gorgeous. The electronics are a nice touch, it's always good when the band goes with something different.

Not to mention the song was so much fun live, I'd love them to bring it back at some point.  :metal

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
if it were on DT12, I'd like it more than the majority of the album.  maybe 3rd best behind IT and STR.  Love the song.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
Scotty Pippen wasn't as good as Michael Jordan, but he was a hell of a player. BMUBMD is the Pippen on an album of 8 Jordans, no shame in that.

I'm thinking more BJ Armstrong than Pippen.  :P
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2015, 02:54:32 PM »
Scotty Pippen wasn't as good as Michael Jordan, but he was a hell of a player. BMUBMD is the Pippen on an album of 8 Jordans, no shame in that.

I'm thinking more BJ Armstrong than Pippen.  :P

:lol. Yup.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »
Dave Corzine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
Get out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »
I'm thinking the ball boy, maybe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2015, 07:54:14 PM »
I've always liked the chorus, but I dislike the rest of the song so much that it's not worth listening to for me.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2015, 01:27:45 AM »
These kids seem to like it! https://vine.co/v/eMDajjebDKP

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
Is that sample in the beginning taken from the Spore video game?  sounds like it to me.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41:12 AM »
One of the lines in Tik Tok by Kesha is "You Build Me Up, You Break Me Down."  I wonder if it's an intentional reference.  On one hand, I can't imagine JP ever listening to Kesha.  On the other hand, I can imagine him seeing the music video, seeing the pop star crucifixion cycle ready to begin anew, and finding that particular set of lines rather poignant.  The vocal melodies are fairly similar.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again