Author Topic: Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down  (Read 7759 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
The song is cool. The album's worst but not bad by any means and it would certainly be a cool live experience. I want to hear JLB do those screams, man.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 10:54:22 PM »
I LOVE this song.  It reminds me so much of Alone off of Elements of Persuasion. 
This, though it reminds me more of Freak. I loved Elements of Persuasion, so when I heard this song, I thought it was really good.

EDIT: Now that I think about it it's almost nugget-worthy that Freak was recorded in part by two musicians who also recorded Build Me Up, Break Me Down ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:03:27 PM by LCArenas »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
I LOVE this song.  It reminds me so much of Alone off of Elements of Persuasion. 
This, though it reminds me more of Freak. I loved Elements of Persuasion, so when I heard this song, I thought it was really good.

EDIT: Now that I think about it it's almost nugget-worthy that Freak was recorded in part by two musicians who also recorded Build Me Up, Break Me Down ;)
Quick, someone check their structures.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »
That outro keyboard riff is amazing. When I listened to the album for the first time, that whole outro put a huge smile on my face. THAT was what I wanted to hear.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 03:05:21 AM »
I love the song, but I agree I'm hearing JLB solo material, not DT stuff. It's too sequenced, too mainstream for most of the song to really fit on a DT album. I don't know.... Great song for JLB solo, but only a good song for DT.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 09:05:15 AM »
I like it on the album because it's a great change-of-pace from the prog madness and soft ballads.

Offline shantustarsun

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
I really like the song, especially the open guitar parts in the beginning. The song would have fit well on FII in my opinion (an album I enjoy quite a bit BTW).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
I like it a lot, but like others have mentioned it kind of gets overshadowed by the big 3 for me.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
It's an ok tune... I was just hoping for more of a punch from the second song.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
This song is my second or third favorite off the album. Think it's one of, if not their best modern radio-esque songs. I love that second verse.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
the chorus is really great, and memorable, and all that good stuff.

However, it just can't compete with the rest of the album (just my opinion)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline champbassist

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
Love the Ace Of Base intro. As everyone is floating weird comparisons, I say cf. Ace Of Base's Que Sera  :loser: (Does being a DT fan mean I can't love my shitty pop? :'( )

The chorus got totally stuck in my head the first time I listened to this song.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
A nice song, but to be honest it sounds a bit dated if they were looking for a single.  JLB did songs exactly like this on Elements of Persuasion which I think is from 2005.  I still enjoy it, and if anything it's grown on me a lot since I first heard it. 

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 06:40:03 AM »
The songs didn't really jump out before but after listening the entire album a few times I think this is a great song!
Love the instrumental section and also the first riff is killer!
And I also think this song sounds a lot like James' solo stuff, which is not a bad thing.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:07 AM »
I don't see much dislike of it?
Anyhow, its got a great hook, and I love it.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
Scotty Pippen wasn't as good as Michael Jordan, but he was a hell of a player. BMUBMD is the Pippen on an album of 8 Jordans, no shame in that.

Very good analogy IMHO!  :tup
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »
absolutely love this song!

the only issue is that the screams could be a bit... better

Offline JPX

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
Scotty Pippen wasn't as good as Michael Jordan, but he was a hell of a player. BMUBMD is the Pippen on an album of 8 Jordans, no shame in that.

If ADToE is the 97 Bulls, then BMUBMD would be more like Toni Kukoč.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »
I like the song, but it is definitely 9th out of 9 for me.

It sounds kind of like something from one of JLB's last two solo albums.  But I like those, so it's not a problem.

This song could possibly seriously rock live.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:14 AM »
I'm appreciating this song more. I know it's one of the weaker ones from the album but I'm sure if this song was on Static Impulse, it could be one of my favorites.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
I know when this song came out, there were a lot of comparisons to Red.  At the time, I was not familiar with Red, but after since becoming more familiar, I do not really see much similarity.  Still a good song.  But influenced by Red?  Possible, but I'm not really hearing it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
I know when this song came out, there were a lot of comparisons to Red.  At the time, I was not familiar with Red, but after since becoming more familiar, I do not really see much similarity.  Still a good song.  But influenced by Red?  Possible, but I'm not really hearing it.

I'm sure you don't hear the blatant UAGM similarities in LNF either. YEAH I WENT THERE! WHAT?! WHAT?!

Anyway, BMU,BMD is just mostly boring. Like A Rite of Passage boring.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
I love it.

The only thing similar to Red is that the structure of the song is very similar to that of Feed the Machine. Either way, both songs are awesome so I couldn't care less.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
It's not influenced by Red in general, but it sounds almost exactly like Red's song Feed The Machine.  Not sure how you could listen to both songs back to back and not hear it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
I played this to my friends and now 3 of them like DT

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
I liked it since I first heard it.
MUCH better than either "Beneath the Surface" or "Far From Heaven."
I also think it would make a good opening song at their live shows.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »
It's not influenced by Red in general, but it sounds almost exactly like Red's song Feed The Machine.  Not sure how you could listen to both songs back to back and not hear it.

Oh, okay.  I did not recall the specific song, and I do not have that particular album.  Just listened to it.  Yeah, it is pretty similar.  Disregard then.  Just appreciate.  :lol

I'm sure you don't hear the blatant UAGM similarities in LNF either. YEAH I WENT THERE! WHAT?! WHAT?!

???  As far as the intro, I'm not sure how it could NOT be noticed.  Not sure what your point is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »

Oh, okay.  I did not recall the specific song, and I do not have that particular album.  Just listened to it.  Yeah, it is pretty similar.  Disregard then.  Just appreciate.  :lol

???  As far as the intro, I'm not sure how it could NOT be noticed.  Not sure what your point is.

No point, I'm just being an ass.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
Oh, okay.  Mission accomplished then.  :p

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Love it. Don't understand the lack of fans for this one and for "Just let me breathe", too.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I wouldn't have even referenced Red for this song if MP had never pointed it out
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
It's definitely my least favorite on the album. Not a bad song. I like the chorus and the verses leading up to it a lot. The only real part I'm not down with is James' "screaming" bits (for lack of a better word).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
I also think it would make a good opening song at their live shows.

I never thought about that, but yes. Totally agree. The intro is not as long as, say, Metropolis or Bridges in the Sky, but I think it would still work. And it would also be a nice change from the "obvious new song opener" slot on the last dozen or so tours. I'm pretty sure I've only seen one DT show where they've opened with an old song (Metropolis, Worcester 2004). Other than that, its been As I Am, Root of All Evil (twice), Constant Motion, In the Presence of Enemies, Nightmare to Remember (twice), Bridges (twice), and Enemy Inside. It would be nice to be surprised with something like BMU,BMD.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »

No thanks, I'm not fond of the song, similar to Red or not.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
I always thought that the chorus is missing something. I don't know what is it but it's just kind of weak. Maybe some synths or more guitars could do something..

I still hear those Feed the Machine influences but it doesn't bother me at all. It's nice song overall, just the weak chorus there.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E