Author Topic: Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down  (Read 7761 times)

Offline livehard

Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
So I see that BMUBMD is one of the least favorite songs in many people's opinion.  Of course they qualified this by saying its still awesome, just slightly less good than the others.  However, for me I'd say it's a top 4.  It's got a really beautiful chorus and a lot of powah to it :biggrin:.  What do you guys think is missing?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:52:29 PM by livehard »

Offline Ħ

Re: Why no love for Build Me Up Break Me Down
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
Not really, lots of people love it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
Love the chorus actually, but for now it's just gotten overshadowed by the second half of the album for me, but then again I've only listened to the album 10 or so times.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
The chorus (at least the first part of it) is really great, that's true (the second part can't keep up with it). But it somehow lacks the moments that make me smile, like in BITS (chorus), BAI (chorus/music underneath it, final verse, Yes'n'Rush section) and BTS, for instance. I still think it's a very good song that doesn't disturb the consistency of ADTOE, but it just doesn't grab me that intensely.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
I love the whole thing. The screaming is pretty damn awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline livehard

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »
I mentioned this in another thread but I love how mature the writing style has gotten.  These songs are so involved, I feel this is an album that will have ENORMOUS replay value.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
If it's not the best song on the album, it's probably the second best. I like it a lot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »
I really like the song. Like the rest of the album, it took time to grow on me, but now I can't help but drum along and scream along to the chorus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
Definitely in my top 5 on the album, and one of their best accessible songs. Absolutely nothing to dislike about it, it's fun, catchy and rockin'.  :metal

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »
Compared to the rest album, I think this is one of the weaker tracks. I'm not saying it's bad though. It's still a good track

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
Scotty Pippen wasn't as good as Michael Jordan, but he was a hell of a player. BMUBMD is the Pippen on an album of 8 Jordans, no shame in that.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »
I love this song.  It might be my favorite track on the album thus far actually.  I think its just got a coolness factor to it.  I LOVE the intro.  The two panned alternating guitar riffs are awesome before it explodes.  Also the screaming part is just so kick ass.  So yeah I love this song a lot.  If they don't play this live I will be all  :sadpanda:
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
It has some good parts but it's kinda lame. I really dislike the screams.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
the other songs are just too good. not saying this track is bad at all, cause it isnt

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 01:07:12 PM »
I think Ke$ha kind of ruined this song for me by default.  Blame modern radio, but I can't hear "You build me up, you break me down," without immediately thinking, "my heart it pounds, yeah you got me..." 

I also think the song's vocal melodies are a bit too predictable/generic at times.  "Obssession at all cost... you'll be the death of me... broken and torn apart... why can't you let me be."  Compare with Seether's 'Because of Me': "Do you believe in love... like I believe in pain... nobody died for you... somebody pray for me."  It's not identical, but Because of Me immediately jumped into my head when listening to that part of BMU,BMD.

Overall, I do enjoy the song, don't get me wrong.  I think it's a cool song.  It's just a bit generic to me.  And while generic doesn't mean 'bad', it does mean it's less likely to be a favorite of mine. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cranky

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
Yeah, I can see where everyone is coming from with this.. And, I somewhat agree.
Though, the song is much higher for me, probably my 4th or 3rd favourite.

It's just a strong composition, very concentrated and focused, and interestingly enough, it doesn't even have a guitar solo, if you don't count the little arpeggio interlude (Which I don't think constitutes as a guitar solo by JP's standards.)

Offline Psy

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
DEM STRINGS. They make the song awesome.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
Scotty Pippen wasn't as good as Michael Jordan, but he was a hell of a player. BMUBMD is the Pippen on an album of 8 Jordans, no shame in that.
Exactly. This is a perfect description of the song.  :laugh:
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Millais

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »
i love this song. however, one *tiny* thing which could have improved it loads - the melody which JR is playing on the piano at 2:39-2:26 should have been louder. sounds like an awesome melody which could kinda follow Trivium's "In Waves" piano based type of melody thing :) other than that. great song  :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
I think Ke$ha kind of ruined this song for me by default.  Blame modern radio, but I can't hear "You build me up, you break me down," without immediately thinking, "my heart it pounds, yeah you got me..." 

I also think the song's vocal melodies are a bit too predictable/generic at times.  "Obssession at all cost... you'll be the death of me... broken and torn apart... why can't you let me be."  Compare with Seether's 'Because of Me': "Do you believe in love... like I believe in pain... nobody died for you... somebody pray for me."  It's not identical, but Because of Me immediately jumped into my head when listening to that part of BMU,BMD.

Overall, I do enjoy the song, don't get me wrong.  I think it's a cool song.  It's just a bit generic to me.  And while generic doesn't mean 'bad', it does mean it's less likely to be a favorite of mine.

I have a solution for you! Stop listening to shitty radio music.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
If it's not the best song on the album, it's probably the second best. I like it a lot.

This. TITL edges it out.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
I have a solution for you! Stop listening to shitty radio music.

Okay.

That won't actually change the fact that BMU,BMD bears similarities to 'shitty radio music', though.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 02:19:07 PM »

This is the second post I've seen comparing ADTOE in some way to Michael Jordan.

BMUBMD is awesome BTW.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
BMUBMD is a great song, has a total killer riff, great chorus and awesome screaming section, and what's more even more awesome keyboard spooky section :) But, I think it will be overshadowed by other songs, because it's simple one.

Offline MarlaHooch

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
Not my favorite, but I do love the shrieks in the chorus  ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
Plenty of love here. Those keyboards! And it's the first chorus I had stuck in my head from the album.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »
I like it a lot actually. I like it more than pretty much everything on BCSL, that's for sure.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
Currently my least favorite song on the album. I mean its not bad I just don't like the style James is singing in. I compare it to the other generic DT songs and its losing everytime.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »
I love this song.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
It gets stuck in my head easily, and the pre-chorus is pretty  :metal

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Everyone who loves this song should have a big love fest.  What are we doing in a thread doubting the love of this song?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 04:46:14 PM »
The screaming backing vocals on the verse remember me a lot of ITNOG. Could have been a tad louder. Great one, but goes a little down compared to BAI, Outcry and LNF. Would be a winner in some other DT albums. I'd love to hear this song live.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
I might try to get the gf to listen to BMUBMD, as well as this is the life and the last track (lol @ being unable to remember it... beneath the surface?).

I was thinking, theres no bad transitions, the lyrics are pretty good, the chorus is catchy, etc.... pretty good song that could garner radio play, if radio stations were into this sort of thing.  I love it.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
sth about this song is killing me.... can't put my finger on it.....

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
I LOVE this song.  It reminds me so much of Alone off of Elements of Persuasion. 

I also love the concept behind the song.  I am so sick of hearing about Britney Spears, not because of anything crazy she has done or whatever trashy backup dancer she married, but because of how fickle everyone is.  They love her when shes on top of the world and love to trash her on the way down.  The general public sucks.