Author Topic: Florence + The Machine  (Read 5543 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Florence + The Machine
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
Yeah, definitely do that.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »
Currently listening to their most recent album for the first time. I love it!!!!!! Their debut was nice but this one is just fantastic. Thanks DTF!!!!!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »
Just put Ceremonials on after Selling England by the Pound.

Not sure why, but the albums went together really nicely.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »
Ceremonials is easily her best work to date. Not a single weak track on the album, IMO.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »
Saw them at Lollapalooza.  Florence Welch is a great frontwoman.  And dat voice.  :o

Picked up both albums and gave them a serious listen.  I think I prefer Lungs right now. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 01:31:56 AM »
I watched her perform on SNL last night, don't know the song but DAMN she's got a great voice.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
I watched her perform on SNL last night, don't know the song but DAMN she's got a great voice.

SNL? Good for her. I'm waiting for a new album to come out though I can't really get enough of the previous ones

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
No light, No light is probably the best song I've heard in 10 years

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
Anyone listened to her new album yet?

I'm checking it out now. Sounds pretty good.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 06:28:14 AM »
Listened to it a couple of times and I like it. I think she played it safe this time around but that's not a bad thing since she put out a great album.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:04 AM »
Yeah, from one listen, it doesn't sound like she was really pushing herself into new territory. That said, it felt like it resembled her debut more than Ceremonials, which I like, as Lungs was incredible.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
Bought the deluxe version with Target bonus tracks. I'm really digging it. I bought the 2-disc version of Lungs a month back as well. Always heard her singles on the radio, so I figured it was time to dig in.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
Yeah, from one listen, it doesn't sound like she was really pushing herself into new territory. That said, it felt like it resembled her debut more than Ceremonials, which I like, as Lungs was incredible.

That's good to hear.  I haven't dug the singles I've heard so far, but I prefer Lungs over Ceremonials.

I bought the 2-disc version of Lungs a month back as well. Always heard her singles on the radio, so I figured it was time to dig in.

Is that the version that has Swimming on the second disc?  That is a fucking amazing song and I'm at a loss as to why it wasn't included on the album. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Is that the version that has Swimming on the second disc?  That is a fucking amazing song and I'm at a loss as to why it wasn't included on the album.

Yeah. From what I could tell from Wikipedia it has most of the iTunes bonus tracks on the second disc.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »

That's good to hear.  I haven't dug the singles I've heard so far, but I prefer Lungs over Ceremonials.
Ship to Wreck grew on me. What Kind of Man is the worst song on the album, and strikes me as being like Kiss With A Fist - doesn't fit tonally or stylistically on the album much at all, but is a catchy enough song that she probably felt she had to include it (or was forced to?). Like Kiss With A Fist, which I took out of the album after a few listens, I'm probably going to do that with What Kind of Man.

The entire album has grown on me a lot though, I'm really enjoying it now. It's like Lungs, but taken in a quite intimate, personal direction. Two or three reviews I've read referred to the difference in the cover - whereas on the last two albums, she's turned to the side with her eyes closed, on this one, she's staring straight at you. There's a good variety in the songs, a few songs that are more quiet and stripped back than anything she's done before. Other than What Kind of Man, every track is great, though it could have used a stronger closer than Mother.

She's toned down the explicitly dark, baroque, goth aspect of her music too, it's much more subdued this time. Which I'd say she did because she explored it so thoroughly on Ceremonials. In retrospect, I think that's why that album didn't completely work for me, something I haven't been able to put my finger on until recently. I feel like she took that morbidity of her style and really ran with it. Most of the songs were still really good, but taken as a whole, the album ended up quite overwhelming and... exhausting?

Yeah, Swimming and Heavy In Your Arms were the strongest B sides, though they were all pretty good. I will stand by my statement from when Ceremonials came out that Remain Nameless and Strangeness and Charm, and maybe also Bedroom Hymns, are better than anything on the album itself

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
It's funny you posted that, because I actually managed to complete the trilogy when I found the deluxe edition of Ceremonials today. So now I've got the deluxe editions of all three.

And I freaking love Ship To Wreck so much.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
"Ship to Wreck" is a great album opener. I absolutely adore the intro (before the guitar comes in) to "What Kind of Man". Really nice vocal harmonies. (Can't tell if it's a pitch-shift on her voice, or a male vocalist underneath.) The entire album is really catchy. I disagree with what a lot of people are saying about her not moving forward stylistically. I don't think anything on How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful could have fit in on either of her previous records. There definitely is a different vibe on this one, not to mention the orchestral parts arranged for many of the songs.

One of my favourites is "St Jude". Just a gorgeous track. But how about "Mother" though? That second half sounds like it's pulled from a '90s shoegaze record. Very Chapterhouse. Never heard anything like that from her before. I love it.

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 02:35:14 AM »
I think Fluffy nailed it with the Kiss With A Fist/What Kind of Man thing, I always hated KWAF and thought it was bang out of place on Lungs - just a cheap White Stripes knock-off.  What Kind of Man feels the same way, though it's much cooler. 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »
I don't think either is a bad song, but both are problematic because they don't fit in on their albums. They should both be B-sides.

Taking What Kind of Man out of the album does wonders for it. Going from Ship to Wreck, an awesome opener, straight into HBHBHB (lol) and Queen of Peace (probably my favourite on the album), the album feels like it gets going, gets serious and you're in the thick of it a lot quicker.

I disagree with what a lot of people are saying about her not moving forward stylistically. I don't think anything on How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful could have fit in on either of her previous records. There definitely is a different vibe on this one, not to mention the orchestral parts arranged for many of the songs.
Yeah, although it didn't jump out at me at first, this album does have its own sound and vibe. The orchestral aspect is a big part of it. It was quite prominent on some songs on Ceremonials too, I think, but now that the tone has changed, it's being used completely differently. Also, as I said, this album has much more range than her others.

I can't say I expected too much from this in the first few listens, but boy has it shown me.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
Taking What Kind of Man out of the album does wonders for it. Going from Ship to Wreck, an awesome opener, straight into HBHBHB (lol) and Queen of Peace (probably my favourite on the album), the album feels like it gets going, gets serious and you're in the thick of it a lot quicker.
You know, I just listened to "Ship to Wreck" and went to "How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful" right after, and I'm liking that flow a lot more. Good point.  :tup Also, I forgot to say this in my last post, but I think "Hiding" should have made it onto the main album, in stead of just being a bonus track. I guess I would take out "What Kind of Man" and insert "Hiding" maybe right after "Third Eye".

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
I just heard What Kind of Man again on the radio and it's as bad as I first thought, I get how it could disrupt the flow tho.  I really need to listen to this new one.