Author Topic: The 5 Best Comedies (Currently) on TV  (Read 5663 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: The 5 Best Comedies (Currently) on TV
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
Hmm.. that's too bad.

I've only seen the first 3 seasons and most of the fourth. 

I'll watch the rest until I'm caught up with it all, though I will approach it with lowered expectations. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
1. Louie (FX; ended season September 8th)

Comedy is, obviously, subjective.  What people find funny varies just as much as what music or art or food people like.  This thread should be proof enough of that: all of the shows on this list pull in less than five million viewers.  Hell, three of them draw less than two million.  That’s a far cry than the highest-rated comedies; nearly thirty million people tuned in to watch the season premiere of Two and a Half Men, for example.  Obviously, there seems to be a big divide between critics and the TV-viewing public. 

This principle is best exemplified by the case of Louie, my pick for the best comedy (and show) on television.  The second season of Louie is probably the best critically received season of television since The Wire’s fourth season back in 2006.  Like that low-rated but critically adored show, it radically bucks the conventions of its supposed genre, earning much praise but little attention.  Unlike some of the other shows on this list (Parks and Recreation being the big one) that I don’t understand why they aren’t more popular, I get why Louie only has niche appeal.  It’s strange, radical, and frequently deliberately not funny.  It requires a basic understanding of the man behind and in front of the camera.  It’s structured, written, and shot unlike anything else on TV. 

That being said, I think everyone should attempt to watch Louie.  It’s literally reinventing what television can do, and it’s fascinating to watch purely in that respect.  It’s also one of the most poignant and fearless examinations of parenthood, masculinity, self-worth, and all the myriad connections we make with others.  It can be hilarious, or brutally difficult to watch, or anything else it wants to be.  The Wire always drew comparisons to great literature due to its scope and deliberate pace; Louie could be compared to poetry.  It’s incredibly insightful, imbued with a distinctive personal touch, and adopts many different forms and structures. 

Louie is as close to a true auteur project that has ever aired on television.  Shot on a shoe-string budget (in an exchange for total creative freedom), it’s written, edited, and directed solely by the creator and subject, Louis C.K.  C.K.’s been one of the world’s best stand-ups for a while now, and his transition into acting and directing has been remarkably smooth.  As the sole focus of the show (other characters exist, but they fade in and out of without a semblance of continuity), it depends almost entirely on his performance, and he delivers.  I was pleasantly surprised that he got a couple of Emmy nominations (for acting and writing, as well as a pair for his most recent stand-up special), even if he never really stood a chance against the other nominees. 

Louie’s not for everyone.  It might not be for most.  But everyone should at least try it, because it is without peer in its originality, insight, and style.  More than anything else on this list, I sense that this show will survive in the cultural memory.  It’s not reliant on pop culture, or elaborate set-ups or gags.  Instead, it builds itself up from the emotions and life of its protagonist, in ways that will make it as relatable in fifty years as it is now.  Why wait to appreciate after its time?  It can be appreciated today.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »
I really need to check out Louie. Just put it in my instant queue on Netflix.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
Agreed with Childrens Hospital and all the comments I've read on the thread thus far.  I still have the DVD of the first season gathering dust in my pile though...maybe it's because of bloody Adult Swim  :-\

I'll have to add Venture Brothers in that list.  The caveat about this show though is that there are many direct and indirect references to comic book and pop culture lore.

*Spoiler*

David Bowie and Brian Eno are villains in this series!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
I actually don't find Parks and Rec or Archer to be very funny, but Louie is goddamn hilarious.  I know I said Modern Family is the most funny current comedy, but that was before I started watching Louie.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2011, 06:00:43 AM »
I really need to check out Louie. Just put it in my instant queue on Netflix.

WTF, it wasn't there when I checked a month ago...

Well, shit. Thanks for mentioning that letters. :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »
I love Louie but I don't see it as a comedy.  It is such a radical take on his stand up but to me it is a drama that puts funny in uncomfortable moments. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
I must be the only person who finds Louis CK overrated

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
That might actually be true.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »
And it's not surprising.

Anyway, Archer has grown on me tremendously since I started. I thought it was kind of weak, but it needed the first 4 episodes or so to set up the characters' personalities, which are now getting wayyyy better.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 12:32:01 AM »
Louie will never be overrated as it's pretty much the thinking man's comedy, which is as on top of the comedy food chain as anything. To me, comedy exists on a stupidity scale which you can smirk at but dark, sarcastic, self depreciating commentary is very near the top of "least stupidity" (barring "most stupidity" is slapstick and fart jokes).

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2011, 12:48:26 AM »
I also left "Curb Your Enthusiam" off of my honorable mention list. The "Larry vs. Michael J. Fox" episode made me nearly piss myself.

Michael J. Fox happens to be one of the bar patrons chatting away throughout Larry's girlfriend Jennifer’s "background music' bar set, and Larry shushes him. On his way out the door, Fox shakes his head in an ambiguous (and possibly involuntary) gesture. Cue the second best line of the night: “Was it pissed or Parkinson’s?” Larry (who this season now lives below Fox in NYC)  grows increasingly obsessed with MJF's Parkinsonism.

Best line of the show was from Leon talking about MJF being a good fight match for Larry.

Leon: Shaky mothafuckers like that, ya know little kids and shit, old people, mothafuckers who can't defend themselves, and you. That's perfect. You two face off, that shit is even Steven.

Larry: Oh, you don't think I can take Micheal J. Fox?

Leon: I don't know Larry. That shaky shit might come in handy.

:lol

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
Ok, I started watching Louie and the first two episodes had me thinking "Yeah, life really does suck sometimes, damn. But this guy funny." By the third episode, he had me in stitches. Fucking art right here.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
I watched the first few episodes of Louie today, and I loved it!

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2011, 04:53:24 AM »
Anyone watch Workaholics?