Author Topic: The 5 Best Comedies (Currently) on TV  (Read 5662 times)

Offline GuineaPig

The 5 Best Comedies (Currently) on TV
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
As some of you may have noticed, I’m a fan of television.  I think that as a medium, its development over the past decade has put it far ahead of movies in terms of the quality of entertainment it provides.  Nowhere is this disparity more evident than in the realm of comedy.  The strength of television comedy is at an incredibly high level right now.  The gradual abandonment of the laugh track, a move toward single-camera shows, and the proliferation of non-network sources have all been instrumental in forming the state of television comedy today.

As the traditional TV season begins again, I thought I’d do a brief run-down on returning shows that I think are the best of the genre.  Strictly speaking, some of these shows are not “returning” as they have recently finished their runs, but since they have all been renewed for another season I think there’s no problem including them.  Regardless, with the vast amount of content available, I thought it would be a good idea to catalogue my favourites, as well as point viewers toward shows that need support.

5. Archer (FX; begins September 15th)

I mentioned the proliferation of non-network sources as a reason for TV comedy’s increase in quality, and Archer might be the best example of this.  A show this gloriously unhinged could not exist on network television, and even on FX it encounters some censorship (for example, a scene involving a baby being used as a projectile had to be reworked).  While it’s not the most risqué animated comedy to ever air on American television, it probably comes close. 

Created by Adam Reed (creator of Adult Swim’s Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo) Archer follows the adventures of the eponymous character, a secret agent at the spy agency ISIS, as well as those of his fellow co-workers.  It’s a pastiche of spy satire and office humour that meshes surprisingly well; sort of a more grounded version of the recent OSS 117 film series.  The show embraces the Adult Swim aesthetic of rapid-fire jokes and non-sequiturs and applies it to a longer 22-minute run-time, and the results are interesting, to say the least.  While I sometimes think the show might work better in an 11-minute format, some attempts at serialization in season 2, and its forthcoming 3-episode arc in September (which is hilarious, apparently; the show then resumes in January) have convinced me that it earns its runtime. 

In particular, the show uses its extended length to better flesh out its characters, with an interest and continuity atypical of most animated sitcoms.  It would be misleading to call Archer a sentimental show, but it does treat its characters as more than just joke machines, and for the most part avoids the easy route of Flanderizing its characters.  Bizarrely, it’s also the only comedy I can think of currently on the air that has a majority female main cast.  However, the real appeal of Archer is that it’s just plain funny.  Jokes come quick, and with great variety.  Archer relies as heavily on its office setting as it does its heroes' adventures, filtering the activities of a super-spy through various office mundanities.  Furthermore, the voice-work of H. Jon Benjamin in the lead role is phenomenal, and the show features a deep bench of vocal talent (including Jessica Walters, Judy Greer, and Aisha Tyler).  The cast is able to pull jokes out of simple dialogue unlike anything else I’ve ever seen; Tyler in particular is effective at mining single syllables for gold.

While the show faced some hurdles in its first season, like almost all comedies do, it really settled down in the second season, and was consistently hilarious.  If it can continue its streak, it will be another hilarious season (with an extended order of 16 episodes!).  In particular, I’d recommend it to fans of Arrested Development; not only does the show feature some of the other’s alums (Greer and Walters primarily, and Jeffrey Tambor has some guest spots; Edit: and as of season 3's premiere, David Cross is in on the action too), but it’s also probably its most direct successor in terms of structure (and hilarity).  It’s great stuff, and certainly one of the funniest shows on television.

Essential episodes: “Stage 2,” “Placebo Effect,” “El Secuestro”
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:11:18 AM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: GuineaPig's Guide to the 5 Best Comedies on TV
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »
Looking forward to reading your list. I've never gotten around to watching Archer but I should make some time to check it out.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
Archer is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite comedies.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
Im mostly an "off network" guy.

Spartacus
Nip/Tuck(when it was on)
Dexter
Hung(for a little while)
Weeds
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
Shouldn't it be "ItalianAmericanPig"?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
I was going to come in here and argue against whatever you said. But then you had to go and choose one of the best comedies on TV, so I shall give you a :hat for now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
I need to watch Archer.  I've seen a few episodes and liked it a lot but  somehow, the wife and I never watch it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
inb4 Arrested Development wins

If it doesn't your list is wrong.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
inb4 Arrested Development wins

If it doesn't your list is wrong.

Arrested Development isn't my top comedy.

Besides, this isn't what this list is about.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: GuineaPig's Guide to the 5 Best Comedies (Currently) on TV
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
I think the thread title implies "currently on TV".  I could be wrong though.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
I've been obsessed with Archer for the last few weeks, it's mind-blowingly funny, and it actually gets funnier the more you watch it and start to pick up on all the little references and jokes and such.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
I think the thread title implies "currently on TV".  I could be wrong though.

Reading comprehension? Who needs it!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »
So excited for the new season starting tonight :caffeine:
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
Added Archer Season 1 to my instant queue.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
James make sure you catch the one tonight.
I AM A GUY

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »

FUCK YEAH HEART OF ARCHNESS

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
I don't watch real TV lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »

RAAAAMMMPPPPAAAAAAAGGGGEEEE
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
4. Parks and Recreation (NBC; begins September 22nd)

Of all the comedies on this list, Parks and Recreation has come the farthest in terms of quality.  Originally conceived as a spin-off to the American version of The Office, the show was originally cramped by the style of its predecessor.  An incompetent boss, a will-they-or-won’t-they romance, and all the stylistic flourishes of The Office (talking heads, mockumentary style filming, etc.) manifested themselves in the shortened first season of Parks and Recreation, and it wasn’t pretty.  Not only was it too derivative, but it was also incoherent and worse, unfunny.  However, a re-tool for season 2 yielded very positive results, and further changes for season 3 have turned it into one of the best comedies on television.  Moving away from the style of The Office has provided Parks with its own identity and charm, and in my opinion has superceded the show that was its inspiration.

The show is set in the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana (obviously South California; I’m not sure why TV shows even try to pretend otherwise), focusing on the Parks and Recreation department of the city government.  Amy Poehler plays the lead character, Leslie Knope, who is constantly undermined and obstructed as she attempts to better the town; however, her dedication and competence usually prevails.  The ensemble is pretty fantastic, as well.  Leslie’s Libertarian boss Ron Swanson (played by the wonderful Nick Offerman) has, for good reason, become the internet’s favourite television character.  Aziz Ansari, Rashida Jones, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, and newcomers Adam Scott and Rob Lowe are all excellent in their supporting roles.

The humour on Parks and Recreation is a little more subdued than its contemporaries on NBC.  It’s mostly been successful in trying to maintain cohesion amongst its characters, and as a result there’s a real feeling of chemistry and sweetness.  It’s genuinely a happy show, something that’s getting rarer these days.  The happiness isn’t a product of group hugs at the end of each episode though, or some other induced cliché or contrivance.  The writers have done a great job of figuring out how the characters work best with each other (something that almost all comedies struggle with at first), and its yielded really solid results.  It took quite a bit of juggling for the show to arrive at its present state; plotlines were abandoned or squeezed out, characters were dropped or reorganized, and relationships were modified or excised.  The growing pains are quite obvious while watching it over the course of its three seasons, but in a way it’s rewarding to see the puzzle being put together.

After suffering ratings-wise in its second season, Parks and Recreation’s third (and by far the best) season was an abridged 16 episodes.  With a full order for its fourth season, I hope it can pick up some more viewers.  For the life of me, I can’t understand why this show isn’t more popular; it’s accessible, funny, and just a feel-good experience.    I thought for sure that its stylistic similarities to The Office (even as they have diminished over Park’s three seasons) would’ve guaranteed a sizeable audience, but it struggles to pull in even half of its sister-show’s viewers, and four or five times less than the multi-camera sitcoms CBS churns out.  With the viewership falling again at the end of last season, it’s only a matter of time before NBC gets its act together and releases a rating success that pushes it out.  While I would like Parks and Recreation to end before it becomes creatively exhausted, it doesn’t deserve to be cancelled just yet.

Essential episodes: “Telethon,” “Flu Season,” “The Fight”

Offline GuineaPig

Re: The 5 Best Comedies (Currently) on TV
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
Huh.  Given the amount of people that watch The Office, I figured at least some would've seen Parks and Recreation.  I guess my last paragraph is more accurate than I knew.  It's only been mentioned once previous on this forum; in Political and Religious.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 08:15:33 AM »
Eh, I can't stand Parks and Rec. It is The Office 2.0. And I can't stand The Office 1.0. (or is it 3.0 and 2.0 because of the British office?)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 08:16:41 AM »
If it's like The Office, do want.

Also, I started watching Archer. Seems pretty nifty thus far. Thanks GP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
I'm guessing the actual episodes of Archer was way funnier than the promos for it, because I have never seen more unfunny material to promote a comedic show than I have in those.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
I'll admit that it isn't crazy funny. Some chuckles here, but it's pretty entertaining.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »
I'm guessing the actual episodes of Archer was way funnier than the promos for it, because I have never seen more unfunny material to promote a comedic show than I have in those.

I haven't seen the promos, so I don't know what they're using to represent it, but it's a great show. I think it works better as whole episodes with knowledge of the characters than just one off jokes though. (ok, that sounds like an excuse for it not being funny, but it's actually a very funny show).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
That makes sense. Heck if it's on Netflix I might as well dig into it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
Either Archer or Community should be on top of this list, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia x5. Only show on TV I make time to watch (as long as sports and SportsCenter don't count)

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »
I'm betting my next pick will surprise people, because it's never, ever, been mentioned on this forum (or at 5/8).  And I don't think many people watch it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 09:01:58 AM »
Is it about a hospital?
I'm just trying to think of obscure comedies I watch that I never see mentioned around here.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »
Do you think Parks & Rec is something you can just jump in and watch, or would it really be best to go back from the start and try to catch up?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:53 AM »
Do you think Parks & Rec is something you can just jump in and watch, or would it really be best to go back from the start and try to catch up?

You could start with season 3, which is by a good margin the best one.  Season 2's pretty good overall as well; it starts OK and gets better throughout.  Either one would work.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia x5. Only show on TV I make time to watch (as long as sports and SportsCenter don't count)

If it was 3-4 years ago when the show was in its best seasons I'd agree. The show's rapid decline in quality is hard to ignore so I dunno if it's a top comedy show any more.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »

If it was 3-4 years ago when the show was in its best seasons I'd agree. The show's rapid decline in quality is hard to ignore so I dunno if it's a top comedy show any more.

I know the last couple seasons have been a little bit hit and miss, but the season premiere on Thursday was stellar, and from what I've heard the next few episodes are great as well
Photobucket sucks.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
3-4 years? Season 5 was probably one of the best seasons. I'll agree last season was really hit and miss. It's hard to do when someone is pregnant, and trying to explain it, in a show like this. But man, this show is absolutely wonderful.