Author Topic: Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread  (Read 22710 times)

Offline Vajra

Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »
According to the "What is your favorite song off the new album" thread, BITS is the second most popular song off the album. I'm in the same boat, this one is my second favorite as well. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best songs DT has ever written. A totally fresh and unique intro, one of the most brutal main riffs I've ever heard, an absolutely stunning chorus, and fantastic/unique lyrics by JP.

Ya did good BITS, ya did good.  :tup

Can't wait to hear this live!  :metal

PS: Keep the discussion of the Shaman's throat singing out of the thread for god's sake lol. You can discuss that in the following thread specifically for it!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27615.0

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:15:32 PM by Samara »

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
Re: Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
It's the best heavy song since The Glass Prison. And the chorus is one of the highlights of the album.  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »
This song is absolutely glorious. From the Gregorian choirs, the soaring melodies, the "Shaman take my hand" part, or even the throat singing, everything about this song just blows me away. Definitely one of the best of the album.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
Best chorus on the album...It would be my favorite song on the album if I liked the instrumental section a little more.  I LOVE the instrumental parts before and after JP/JRs' solos...but I think the solos themselves don't quite do the song justice.  Still my 2nd favorite track on the album, though.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »
It's the best heavy song since The Glass Prison. And the chorus is one of the highlights of the album.  :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
Best song on the album. While it is all good, the JLB's chorus and the music underneath kick it up a few notches.

Offline IJewBear

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
My opinion of it from the main thread:
Bridges in the Sky
Oh man. That intro is so weird. I love it. It would be a great song to open a show with. Once the intro fades out and the band comes in, it just dumps the awesomeness right on you. I love it. It's very heavy but not like the heaviness of the past 3 albums. It's a very tasteful heaviness. I had doubts when I heard the snippet to this song. It sounded bland and uninspired. Wrong. The pre-chorus is so heavy and the melody that attaches to it is no exception. It melodic yet not a typical melody. It's really fresh. That chorus. Seriously, it's as DT as you can get. It's soaring! One of my favorite choruses to date. JLB sounds amazing once again on this track. So far, he has yet to disappoint me. The instrumental section sounds a bit like the past albums but it doesn't feel forced. It fits very nicely in there. It's not too long, not too short. Just right. It transitions right into the last chorus perfectly. Once again, a soaring chorus that ends on an unexpected note but that just makes it that much better. It ends dark that suits the songs a little better. One last Shaman call to end it.
9/10

Offline JustinSire

• may healing waters . . .
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »
when i first heard the album, after about 5 times through my list was

LNF, Outcry, BITS, BAL

now its

BITS, BAL (growing on me a lot), Outcry, LNF
"And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar." - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

when I'm bored I write a song - https://soundcloud.com/justindanford

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
I love the whole into. It's so atmospheric and awesome.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
I love the whole into. It's so atmospheric and awesome.

Into what?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Being the only song I've heard on the album, I love it. The chorus is excellent and it has all the right pieces. Is it wrong though that when I put it on my iPod, I will rename it The Shaman's Trance?

Remember when Aniland said Track 5 would be the most lauded on the album, looks like he wasn't too far off
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:25:11 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
I like it, heaviest song on the album with great riffs but also with soaring chorus and bridge. It's also good to have one longer song that isn't made up mostly of an instrumental, with a rather short one (by DT standards) towards the end. I still prefer Outcry and Breaking All Illusions at the moment though.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
the whole time i was listening to BITS i was just thinking "this shouldve been the end to the the 12 step suite' (with different lyrics of course)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »
Best song on the album, really.

I love the song.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SupermanJLU

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
It gets better each time I listen to it. So Awesome!!!

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Love love LOVE this song.  It's so amazing.  I've only heard up to this song so far and I can already tell this will be one of my top favorite albums.  I was listening to it on the way home tonight for the first time and there was a thunderstorm in the distance and you could see the lightning every few seconds light up the sky.  It was definitely an awesome way to hear this song for the first time! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
Right now it's my second favorite song on the album. The chorus is absolutely killer, one of my favorites DT has ever written, and it reminds of of Honor Thy Father in how chock full of :metal riffs it is
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Definitely one of my favourites on the album, perhaps 2nd. Lots of nice riffing, and JLB sounds really good on it. And that chorus is great, and goes on forever (in a good way).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 11:42:22 PM »
Absolutely killer song in every way imaginable.  I had the "Bridges in the sky" chorus part stuck in my head all evening. :metal

Offline gm5k

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Definitely one of my favourites on the album, perhaps 2nd. Lots of nice riffing, and JLB sounds really good on it. And that chorus is great, and goes on forever (in a good way).

Agreed.  Never saw that "And at last the time has come" part coming.  The chorus builds in such a fluid and epic way even with it's length(what amazing writing it is to do so), especially at the end of the 2nd one where it leads into the instrumental.  "Shaman take my HAAAANND" (whilst Petrucci and Myung simultaneously play their crazy descending scales)   Man...#1 part for getting chills from the album IMO  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:49 PM »
This song is absolutely glorious. From the Gregorian choirs, the soaring melodies, the "Shaman take my hand" part, or even the throat singing, everything about this song just blows me away. Definitely one of the best of the album.

:tup :yarr :metal

Offline Cranky

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
It's one of the best songs they have ever written and recorded, and it is one of my favourite songs currently..
A top 10 DT song for me, without question.

There isn't anything to say about it that hasn't been said before..
Everything is just great.. The instrumental section just works so perfect with the rest of the song, and it doesn't drag longer than it needs to, and the actual song still manages to be long. And, it doesn't feel like like a copy and paste job, as some of their instrumentals seem to feel at times.

My only gripe is that I wish the guitar solo was a little more dynamic, maybe going into an arabic feeling solo with the riff played right before it  as the accompaniment, only an octave lower. That, and I wish that they didn't use the "morte et dabo" sample, because it's been used way too many times already.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
definately one of my favorites by them

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 02:14:41 AM »
It's a Top 3 song on the album for me.

Shaman take my haaaaaaaaand
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 02:34:13 AM »
My favorite on the album. I adore everything about it, especially the chorus.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 02:53:06 AM »
This song does not need an appreciation thread ;) It appreciates itself, just like that ;) It's great, the best heavy DT since The Glass Prison for me.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:52 AM »
Absolutely brilliant song. It's a perfect blend of heaviness and sense for melody, and the chorus is absolutely amazing. Definitely one of my favourite songs on ADTOE.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 03:57:26 AM »
Indeed a brilliant song!
I love the Shaman and the choirs in the beginning.

And at last the time has come
to unite again as one,
to the power of the earth I'm calling.
Crossing bridges in the sky
on a journey to renew my life.
Shaman, take my hand

Fantastic section.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
is mangini the shaman and the song about "the part of me that died" being the loss of the drummer, so mangini taking the seat saved the band?
Not a fully thought through idea, interested to see if I get flamed or not
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »
Yep, same here. The second chorus when they first go into the second part of the chorus... :metal

I don't know about it being the best heavy song since TGP though. Bridges in the Sky is heavy? I didn't even notice :lol

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
Pretty badass song. It took me a while to get into it but now I love it. The second verse is the tits' meow

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »
This song is amazing.  I absolutely love the lyrics and JLB's delivery of them.  I love that the first time we get the chorus, we don't get the "Bridges in the sky" part, it doesn't come in until later.  That's a great effect, and the instrumental sections are amazing as well.

:tup  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
Yep, same here. The second chorus when they first go into the second part of the chorus... :metal

I don't know about it being the best heavy song since TGP though. Bridges in the Sky is heavy? I didn't even notice :lol

Y'know, I kinda know what you mean. While the main riff (what was in the snippet) is undoubtedly heavy, the heavy parts on this song and album seem to be free of that dark undertone that seemed to be present on Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and a little bit of Train of Thought.

This song is awesome. The chorus is most likely my fav part, although I love the instrumental as well. It seems so fresh to me, I didn't even notice that it contained the typical Petrucci/Rudess trade-off solo's until someone mentioned it.

However, as much as I love this new album, I am waiting for quite awhile before I try to compare it objectively to the rest of their catalog.

Pretty badass song. It took me a while to get into it but now I love it. The second verse is the tits' meow

This is the Life's meow?  ;) :laugh:

Edit: Am I the only one who is reminded of the opening noise of Burning my Soul,  45 sec. in, just before the choir chants enter?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:28:27 AM by Laich21DT »
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »
Jordan's organ solo.  Nuff said
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 10:40:05 AM »
It should win the "Chorus of the year" award!  :metal