Author Topic: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v. Final Post Is Up!  (Read 14122 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v. It's really my turn this time
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
Loving all the post-rock!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2011, 03:44:04 AM »
It is indeed. Suicide By Star is one of my favourite God Is An Astronaut songs.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here [1975]

I’ve been a fan of this album for as long as I’ve been listening to music. This is the perfect PF album. It has a better overall mood over DSOTM while still bringing soul to the album unlike The Wall. David Gilmour was the reason I first picked up the guitar and this album had a large part in that. Every bit of this album seems so intricate, so well thought out and composed. I’m really at a loss for words when describing this album, so I’ll just say that this was one of the first albums that made me notice that music is more than just background noise to my life and for that reason it gets a spot on my list.

Favorite Tracks: All of them.

16. Incubus - Fungus Amongus [1995]

I’ve been an Incubus fan for a long time but it took me almost nearly as long to listen to the debut album. After that first listen I was left a little loss for words, so I gave it another spin and it started to click more with me. What makes this album so brilliant is that it is just so different from the usual music I listen to. Dirk and Mike and the highlights of this album and to this day I wish Mike would play with that aggressive guitar sound that he has on this album. It’s not a perfect, but it’s definitely memorable.

Favorite Tracks: “You Will Be A Hot Dancer”, “Trouble In 421”, “Medium”, “Speak Free”, “Psychopsilocybin”

15. Antoine Dufour - Existence [2008]

This is the album where Antoine Dufour really mastered the art of writing songs. Often times with solo acoustic performer’s pieces sound as if they get lost. Existence is a collection of songs that fire and foremost are great songs comprised of great melodies. However this is still an Antoine Dufour album so you will be hit with some very crazy guitar playing but that just adds to the fun of this cd rather than being distracting. 

Favorite Tracks: “Song For Stephen”, “Reality”, “You And I”, “Mother”, “Into Your Heart”

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »
Agree 100% about Wish You Were Here... (although it wasn't the musical "eye-opener" for me like it was for you)... I'd just rank it even higher! :D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14:26 AM »
 :tup :tup  On WYWH.  Although, I disagree with the comment about having more soul than The Wall.  It's a brilliant album, but (IMO) The Wall has a life of it's own, and is not lacking any soul whatsoever.  But, 5 (really, 4) brilliant tracks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
You have awesome taste, Reaper.

Also, obligatory 'YES DMB YES!!!'  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
14. Across The Delta - Dancing To Architecture [2006]

This cd is one of my favorite alternative rock cd’s out there. I remember first discovering the band in 2Timer’s song of the day back on the old DT.net days and the band has stuck with me since then. These guys have really add some creative spark to the genre and still they are a great band to rock out to. Song arrangements catch you off guard, solos are peppered in unusual places at times (and at one point a sax shows up to do a solo), the mix is top notch, and the chorus’ are catchy as hell.

Favorite Tracks: All of them, it’s a short album and each song is incredibly solid.

13. Scott Matthews - Passing Stranger [2006]

This album caught me off guard, especially considering I first heard of this guy on the JP forums. To put it simply this album is folk meets pop and it’s one hell of a mix. The album is incredibly dense, on the surface it sounds as if simple 4 piece but when you listen closely the album it just opens up to. Scott Matthews has a great voice that just blends perfectly with the music with great lyrics thrown in as an added bonus.

Favorite Tracks: “Dream Song”, “The Fool’s Fooling Himself”, “Passing Stranger”, “Elusive”

12. Don Ross - Passion Session [1999]

Alright so I’m sure that everyone is tired of all the acoustic albums I’m putting up on my list but they are a big part of my listening life and this is another one that really changed the way I viewed music. If you’re not familiar with Don Ross, well he is another guitar playing machine but he is the most accessible. If I were to introduce anyone to the genre this would be the album I’d give someone and for good reason, it’s catchy (which is remarkable considering it’s entirely instrumental)and Don can groove with his acoustic like no other.

Favorite Tracks: “Kimbim”, “Michael, Michael, Michael”, “Tight Trite Night”, “First Ride”, “Give Me Seven Reasons”

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:46 AM »
I don't know any of those albums, that Don Ross album sounds pretty good thopugh, maybe I'll give it a listen

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2011, 06:41:02 AM »
I've been into Don Ross for years but I only own a couple albums that has his playing.  Music for Vacuuming is particularly good.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »
I don't know any of those albums, that Don Ross album sounds pretty good thopugh, maybe I'll give it a listen

Check it out! :tup

I've been into Don Ross for years but I only own a couple albums that has his playing.  Music for Vacuuming is particularly good.

I don't have many Don Ross cd's either but Passion Session is really worth the listen. I'll have to check out Music for Vacuuming this weekend.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
Mini update so I can start from 10 onwards:

11. Michael Kelsey - Submerged [2011]

First off, if you’re a guitar player, get this album now. This album, out of all on the list, has some of the most creative and inspirational guitar playing I’ve ever heard. Now, with that said, this is one hell of a chill album, something to put on while cooking dinner or reading and that really is the purpose for which it was written, something to fit the background of life. It flows wonderfully and is meant to be listened to as a whole album and you’d be amazed how much this album does suck you in even when only being played in the background.

Favorite Tracks: “Lost On Purpose”, “Sky On All Sides”, “Bending Shadows”, “Solace”, “Figments”, “The Free Spirit”

Trailer for the album if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIuw8qAOvU
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:54:08 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
10. OSI - Blood [2009]

OSI is my favorite side project of DT and the first two albums are great sources of great music but Blood is really where they hit their stride. There have only been a few times that I’ve been hit in the face with a wall of awesomeness like when I first heard “False Start” and that was just my first taste of musical ecstasy that followed. This is a nearly flawless album and sucked me in on first listen (unlike Free and OSI) and didn’t let go. Gavin is a wonderful addition to the album and gels way better than MP (not knocking MP abilities) creating one strong back bone to this extremely powerful and heavy album.

Favorite Tracks: “The Escape Artist”, “Terminal”, “False Start”, “Radiologue”, “Microburst Alert”, “Blood”

09. From Monument To Masses - On Little Known Frequencies [2009]

This is the definitive Post Rock album. Once the synth line kicks in on “checksum” it grabs you and doesn’t let go until you’ve gotten through the whole album. This album grooves, it moves, it’s perfectly mixed and produced, it doesn’t drone on aimlessly like so many other post rock albums, and it has enough twists and turns to keep this album on repeat without getting stale for a long time. Heavy synth leads and many looped guitars fill this album but never to the point where you think it’s too much. Sadly, On Little Known Frequencies is the last album the FMTM released before calling it quits and they certainly did it right going out with a bang and a flash of style. If you enjoy post rock, even in passing, get this album now.

Favorite Tracks: “checksum”, “Beyond God And Elvis”, “A Sixth Trumpet”, “An Ounce Of Prevention”, "The First Five"

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:38:08 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v. Into the Top 10
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
Blood is fantastic.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Blood is a very good album. I wouldn't put it this high, but definitely can see why someone would. :)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
I only have their self-titled. I'll check out On Little Known Frequencies though, thanks!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
Been meaning to check OSI out and I guess I know where to start :)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
This is the definitive Post Rock album.

Well shit. I suppose I should check this out then.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
Is it bad that i've never listened to OSI?

I should listen to OSI

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Yes it is bad, I listen to those three OSI albums more than I listen to DT now-a-days

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
Just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten about this, I've had a power outage the past few days at my place.

I'll do a double update tomorrow.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
I'm listening to From Monument to Masses right now and really enjoying it. I wouldn't call it "the definitive post-rock album" or anything, but it's pretty good.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
I guess what really strikes me is that there is a lot of post rock that just doesn't go anywhere really for an 11 minute song. Explosions is the biggest offender in my opinion.

I'm a little biased on FMTM because I saw them live with the original line right before they broke up, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
I really loved the From Monuments to Masses album, so thanks a ton for the recommendation, man.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
I guess what really strikes me is that there is a lot of post rock that just doesn't go anywhere really for an 11 minute song. Explosions is the biggest offender in my opinion.

I'm a little biased on FMTM because I saw them live with the original line right before they broke up, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I agree with you about EITS except for on The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2011, 01:35:43 AM »
The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place is just typical EitS really.
I do think it's their best album, and I do think it's pretty great, but it isn't different from their other albums in any major way, they just happened to do something... better with that release, but it's still a lot of 'playing around on the guitars for the lulz'.  ;)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
As promised a double update:

08. Kaki King - Dreaming Of Revenge [2008]

Anyone who has read any of my music related posts probably has seen me mention Kaki King. She is one of my favorite artists and her body of work just keeps getting stronger and stronger. This album is the peak of hers from the full band era. There is such a diversity of songs here ranging from great little alt. rock tunes to some of the most intricate and beautiful compositions around. All the music is layered and lush leaving behind the acoustic tracks of the first couple records. She also starts doing a bit more vocal work on this album.

Favorite Tracks: “Life Being What It Is”, “Sad American”, “Can Anyone Who Has Heard This Music Really Be A Bad Person?”, “2 O’Clock”, “Zeitgeist” (Bonus Track), “I Need A Girl Who Knows A Map”(Bonus Track with some crazy guitar work)

07. Incubus - Morning View [2001]

I’ve owned this cd since its release in 2001 when Incubus was just a band that I heard of through word of mouth. This is a magnificent album with not a single weak track on it. To me in blends the elements of earlier work with what now has become the softer Incubus. This album contains an hour of non-stop great guitar riffs coupled with unique and catchy lyrics. Mike again truly shines on this album and really solidifies my belief that he is one the most underrated guitar players out there.  It’s been 10 years since the release of this cd (fuck I’m getting old) and I still listen to this cd as often as I did back then because it never gets old.

Favorite Tracks: Every song is excellent.

06. Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream [1999]

I discovered PT around 2006 with In Absentia being my first listen to the band. I loved it, it was different, different like the first time I listened to DT only instead of being blown away with technical prowess, I was blown away by the great song writing. Despite playing IA over and over I never really explored the back catalog of music until a few years ago. Stupid Dream was one of the last albums I heard but I deeply regret putting it off for so long. Just like Incubus from the above post, Stupid Dream seems to connect early PT and later PT wonderfully combining the strengths of each era. The songs, to put simply, are touching. They contain some of SW’s best lyrical content as well as some of the most interesting mixing I’ve heard.

Favorite Tracks: “Even Less”, “Slave Called Shiver”, “This Is No Rehearsal”, “Stranger by The Minute”, “Stop Swimming”

05. Fair To Midland - Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True [2007]

I mentioned a few times throughout my Top 50 about some bands that took me away from one genre and exposed me to another genre, well Fables brought me back to the hard rock/metal genre. Upon hearing this album for the first time I was just taken back, it was just so unique with such a unique voice behind the band. Seriously, Darroh is an animal and is one of the main reasons I enjoy FTM as much as I do. The lyrics are drenched in metaphors, the chorus’ stick with you for days, and every song is as strong as the last.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »
Stupid Dream  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
FABLES :heart :heart :heart

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »
All of those albums except Kaki King which I haven't heard :heart
I AM A GUY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
FUCK YEAH FABLES

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
Another great group of albums!  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
Kaki King, PT and Fair to Midland!  :heart

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2011, 07:17:46 AM »
All of those albums except Kaki King which I haven't heard :heart

Listen to that album, immediately!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
5 day bump

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
04. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia [2002]

My first and favorite PT album; a great album from start to finish. I’ll never forget the summer that I first heard this album, it was coupled with some dramatic changes in my life which is part of the reason I have this album so high on my Top 50 list. Another reason is that it’s a phenomenal record; mixed incredibly well, brilliant song writing, and awesome vocal melodies which at the time were pretty unfamiliar to me. It’s hard for me to pin point exactly why I love this album as much as I do but it just grabs me and takes me away every time I listen to it.

03. dredg - Catch Without Arms [2005]

Anyone who as paid attention to my post in the GMD probably has seen me mention dredg at least at one point. I’m a huge fan, I have been for years and this is the album that introduced me to the greatness that is dredg.  It’s extremely accessible and has a great pop/alt rock feel with beautiful, lush guitars, great lyrics, and is a perfect example of how great rock tunes should be done. It’s a shame that this album never got any real radio play because every song is strong as well as a hit and every song has its own individuality while still sticking the underlying theme of the album.

02. Kaki King - Everybody Loves You [2003]

This is the debut album from Kaki King and probably the least accessible album on my list if I’m honest. Everybody Loves You is an album worth discovering though, it’s raw and feel of very outside of the box ideas for guitar, even amongst her guitar playing peers. Every song does have a soul to it and that is what I love about this album, every song has character tied to it, some songs are fun, some are downright depressing but in the end they all tie in beautifully to form one the best albums I’ve ever heard.

Favorite Tracks: “Night After Sidewalk”, “Fortuna”, “Joi”

01. dredg - El Cielo [2002]

El Cielo is my favorite album, it has been for a long time but it took almost as long to become my favorite. There is a lot to this album that can only be discovered after multiple listens. To start the album is mixed perfectly, the whole cd seems to breathe as you listen to it. Mark’s guitar tones on this album are incredibly dense and a joy to listen to. The flow of the album is brilliant and it all comes down to probably the best album closer of any I’ve heard which is “The Canyon Behind Her”

One big reason that I have such an attachment to this album is that it seemingly fit perfectly as the soundtrack to my life when I first heard it. It was unique and original to me and I had moved to new town so my best company was this album for some time, but it was a great time in my life so like a good friend when I put this album on I can relive my great memories that are attached to it.

Favorite Tracks: "Sanze", "Triangle", "Scissor Lock", "The Canyon Behind Her"

Well that's it for my list, thanks to everyone for commenting and checking out the list. Sorry for the delays I had in updating this thing but I hope some of you discovered some new music to enjoy :)